• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Aladdin controversy Disney can't escape

Just cast the best appropriate actors for the roles. You don't need big names to sell this shit. People will go see it based on the brand. Like, who headlined their other remakes? Hermoine isn't some huge name that brought people in.

ReiGun

Why does it feel like Disney leaked this shit to gauge if they can get away with hiring a white guy for the role with minimal blow back?

I been wondering this too. Because the idea that they can't possibly find two English speaking Middle Eastern actors with singing and dancing ability is too far-fetched for me to not think there's an ulterior motive.

HMD

I don't know why people think hiring Indian actors for the roles is ok. Why not go for Latinos if you only care about skin color.

Socreges

Banned
And introducing Tilda Swinton, as Aladdin

No, let's not do that again...

rTqsluI.jpg

Kck7ebL.jpg
Not a Star Trek fan so this intrigues me. Does it matter that Khan be played by a Latino? Is Khan part of a different species of human, all of whom were played by actors with darker skin (eg, Latinos)?

I don't know why people think hiring Indian actors for the roles is ok. Why not go for Latinos if you only care about skin color.
Yeah I scratched my head at that. Seems like a half-measure. Then in 20 years we look back at Indians playing Arabs in Hollywood and shake our heads.

Just cast the best appropriate actors for the roles. You don't need big names to sell this shit. People will go see it based on the brand. Like, who headlined their other remakes? Hermoine isn't some huge name that brought people in.
You know this is Hollywood we're talking about, right? It's no meritocracy ;)

Harry Potter is different. You don't need well known actors in child roles, unknowns are welcome there. Aladdin isn't about kids.

Syriel

Sounds exactly like what Disney did.

Also sounds like OP was a big fat nothingburger based on the latest news.

The Hobo

Not a Star Trek fan so this intrigues me. Does it matter that Khan be played by a Latino?

Yes. The new Star Trek films take place in a timeline that diverged from the TV Star Trek timeline, but the divergence happened after Khan was born. He should still be Latino in the new timeline.

Zoe

Yes. The new Star Trek films take place in a timeline that diverged from the TV Star Trek timeline, but the divergence happened after Khan was born. He should still be Latino in the new timeline.

Er... was he even meant to be Latino in the first place?

But what's the point if that Arab person looks like a White person? Hollywood would love that, because to them it's no different than casting a White actor that they can pretend and say they're being diverse.

But there's more than enough, some might say too much, White representation in Hollywood films. White looking Middle Easterns aren't getting harassed or racially profiled, nor do they look like the Disney depictions of Aladdin and Jasmine.

You might as well cast a White person then, right?

This line of thought is absolutely toxic and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Top Bottom