• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Amazon 9/6 Press Conference Thread of Kindles and Fire (and Phones?!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnid

That is awful. Really disappointing. How come they still can't build a snappy interface? The Nexus 7 destroys this. What a shame, I had high hopes but now it looks like the new Fires are going to be hard to recommend...

My guess is that they ripped out a significant amount of the UI code. The original Fire was based on Gingerbread which had no hardware rendering. ICS came along but they continued to build on their own front end code (it wouldn't be worth throwing it all away and starting again) so it still lacks hardware acceleration.

They could also not be threading and instead just blocking the UI thread.

Cipherr

Just now saw this, wow that is pretty rough. If you are going to show your new product off it should be ready. This is new "faster" hardware with a second gen OS on it. That's pretty unacceptable.

I know man. The Droid life editor doing the video sounded like he was trying to give them some wiggle room too.

He was like:

"As you can see its pretty........ responsive.."

By the end though he was like 'to hell with it, the UI is laggy.'

No coverage of it though on the Verge. Sucks that they ran full on stories for Nokia forgetting to tag a commercial with a disclaimer, but this new Amazon Tablet summoning Android Cupcake and Donut-esque UI lag from their dusty ass 2010 graves doesn't get a story. C'mon son.

Ovid

This is the case with their macs, but absolutely not the iPhone and if they go for the jugular against android with a $200 or $249 tablet, not the iPad in the manner you describe either.
A GAFfer mentioned in an earlier post that Apple controls 60% of the tablet market. Does anyone know how large it was before Amazon, RIM and Google came into the fray?

It just amazes me that in this day and age a UI that laggy gets through a QA process and all the way to market. Pretty much everyone has used an iPad at this point and that has set the baseline for how a touch UI is supposed to respond. If you can't compare favorably to that you're wasting your time.

Husker86

Software performance is disappointing.

Regarding ads, I'm not sure why you would want to opt out...they are usually pretty good! I opted in on my Ad-free Kindle that I had. I'm actually still wondering why my Kindle Touch doesn't have ads.

You should always go with the offers version. Much cheaper, the ads are not at all intrusive (and sometimes the offers are actually pretty good) and you can always pay the difference in original price to remove them if you try it and don't like it.

Cipherr

As long as its able to be paid and or opted out of I dont have a problem with the option. I just thought for a moment that everyone would be stuck with it. For a reason I cannot quite explain, having ads on my device that way just crosses a line for me, no matter how great the offers are, I wont deal with that.

Loki

Count of Concision
It just amazes me that in this day and age a UI that laggy gets through a QA process and all the way to market. Pretty much everyone has used an iPad at this point and that has set the baseline for how a touch UI is supposed to respond. If you can't compare favorably to that you're wasting your time.

Amazon knows it can release garbage and people will still gobble it up. They really take their customers for granted in the e-reader/tablet market, as evidenced by them being 6-12 months behind B&N in terms of features, hardware and UI. When they released the original Fire and it sold like gangbusters despite it being clearly as definitely a worse product than the Nook Tablet in every respect I knew they would continue the trend of taking their customers for granted.

Somnid

Amazon knows it can release garbage and people will still gobble it up. They really take their customers for granted in the e-reader/tablet market, as evidenced by them being 6-12 months behind B&N in terms of features, hardware and UI. When they released the original Fire and it sold like gangbusters despite it being clearly as definitely a worse product than the Nook Tablet in every respect I knew they would continue the trend of taking their customers for granted.

The Nook tablet was marginally better and more expensive. It also had no content to back itself up with. The Nook touch was marginally better and more expensive. It also didn't have as much content or as many features as the Kindle Store. The Nook Glowlight is definitively not up to Paperwhite standards, more expensive and still doesn't have the content or features of the Kindle store.

It's not accidental that people choose Amazon's hardware. Bezos laid it out, they want services, not gadgets.

Loki

Count of Concision
The Nook tablet was marginally better and more expensive. It also had no content to back itself up with. The Nook touch was marginally better and more expensive. It also didn't have as much content or as many features as the Kindle Store. The Nook Glowlight is definitively not up to Paperwhite standards, more expensive and still doesn't have the content or features of the Kindle store.

It's not accidental that people choose Amazon's hardware. Bezos laid it out, they want services, not gadgets.

lol @ claiming that the Nook Tab was only "marginally better" than the original Fire, and that the Simple Touch was only marginally better than the extant Kindle at the time. What a joke. Shows you haven't had much time with them, if any. The Nook Tablet was literally night and day better from a smoothness/usability/power perspective. Night and day. Your comment about content is somewhat valid, though buying content from Amazon versus the built-in Netflix on the Nook Tab is really not much different. Also doesn't help that the video playback on the Fire was nowhere near as good as on the Nook Tab.

And as I said in a previous post re: Paperwhite, it SHOULD be beyond the Simple Touch (and Glowlight) considering it's between 6-12 months later to market depending on what you're looking at (the light tech or just the overall e-reader tech).

Slappers Only

I found that the Bezos bit about how they would rather make money off of people using their devices instead of by selling them devices to be rather cute.

Vyer

Software performance is disappointing.

Regarding ads, I'm not sure why you would want to opt out...they are usually pretty good! I opted in on my Ad-free Kindle that I had. I'm actually still wondering why my Kindle Touch doesn't have ads.

Is there some way to customize what you see? People say this, but when I tried it threads were crap.

Husker86

Is there some way to customize what you see? People say this, but when I tried it threads were crap.

Well it has been a while since I've seen them since it was on my previous Kindle. But the ads were basically credit for buying books and music, some great money back deals on laptops/TVs. Now, I didn't make use of those bigger ones, but if I was in the market at the time they would have been very useful.

I really need to look into getting them turned on on my Kindle Touch so I can see what the deals are now.

Vyer

Well it has been a while since I've seen them since it was on my previous Kindle. But the ads were basically credit for buying books and music, some great money back deals on laptops/TVs. Now, I didn't make use of those bigger ones, but if I was in the market at the time they would have been very useful.

I really need to look into getting them turned on on my Kindle Touch so I can see what the deals are now.

Yeah, that's what I was hoping for at the time because I would have been all about that. All I got was shit when i activated it on my keyboard. I'm hoping there was some setting I missed because I'd love to go the cheaper route on a new kindle.

Pretty sure B&N's next iteration will again be better than Amazon's considering that they've always been a step ahead historically; it shouldn't be much longer til it's announced going by past release cycles, either. lol I should hope this is better than the Nook considering it's 6 months behind the Nook Glowlight (for the lighting tech) and nearly a year behind the Nook Simple Touch (for the rest of the tech).

And as I said in a previous post re: Paperwhite, it SHOULD be beyond the Simple Touch (and Glowlight) considering it's between 6-12 months later to market depending on what you're looking at (the light tech or just the overall e-reader tech).

Nook has always had the advantage over the Kindle in that it was able to see what Amazon did and improve on it and potentially be ahead of the curve because it released e-readers 6-8 months after Amazon. Amazon was 11 months ahead of B&N with Pearl screen tech. Of course that Pearl Nook also wound up being an IR touch device (only 9 months behind Sony's PRS-650). Amazon released their IR touch device 5 months later. Nook released the Glowlight, with no other major hardware changes, about 5 months later (10 months after B&N's own Simple Touch). Which brings us to today, 5 months later, and Amazon has the higher resolution screen, better lighting tech, and capacitive touch.

It sounds strange to call B&N a step ahead when there is a rather big release window between the Nook and Kindle. If they released readers at the same time that would be something else. To paraphrase what you said they SHOULD be beyond what Amazon is doing.

I'm not sure what would put B&N ahead in the next iteration anyway. It's unlikely they'll get a better screen resolution than 1024×768, everyone is playing catch up to the iRiver Story HD on that one. They'll probably switch to capacitive touch. They could go color but I don't think anyone wants that yet when they look so dull next to vivid tablet screens. And there is nothing to really say they will or won't improve their Glowlight. It's possible but they would have to R&D a new technique and, unless they developed various tech when creating the Glowlight, I'm not sure they'll make it for the Spring refresh.

WowBaby

I sold two 1st gen Kindle Fires on 9/5 and 9/6 for $155 and $172 on ebay. I hope my buyers don't send them back to me after yesterday's announcement. Since I have an iPad I'm only interested in the 7 inch HD 32GB. I'm also buying the paperwhite to replace my touch.

Sean

Banned
Amazon confirms there's no way to opt out of Kindle Fire ads

Since Amazon announced its new line of Kindle Fire tablets, there's been confusion over whether the company would allow users to avoid seeing "Special Offer" promotions on their lock screens. According to CNET, an Amazon spokesperson has now confirmed that there is no system for disabling ads on new models of the Kindle Fire. That means that unlike the cheaper Kindle e-reader, users can't spend more up front for an ad-free version or pay to disable the ads after purchase.

Update: An Amazon spokesperson has indeed told us that there aren't any opt-outs for the new Kindle Fire line.

You can't buy Fires without ads now? Read an article on google about it.

If true....thats almost a deal breaker for me. I find ads super annoying even if some of them are great. (plus my wife already has an ad supported E Ink kindle)

Amazon_Bezos_price.jpg

WowBaby

I had the Kindle Keyboard before ads became an option and then opted to HAVE them. It was well worth it. The special offers screens were pretty easy to ignore and as soon as you go to the home page they disappear. Also some of the offers I have gotten are a $10 gift card for $5, a $20 gift card for $10, and a 1 year xbox live gold for $35, as well as $10 books for $1 and free or discounted mp3s.

fritolay

Opting out of ads aside, which I know to some is a deal breaker, what is the verdict on these versus Google's tablet and others on the market?

madmook

Bleh, cancelling my KF HD 7" pre-order. Seeing reports of UI sluggishness is a big turn-off.

With my 1st gen Fire, I grit my teeth and tolerate it, and the numerous firmware updates that it has gone through since launch have continuously improved the experience, but I expect more from a 2nd gen device. With a faster CPU/GPU, there's no excuse for Amazon to not have immediately addressed one of the principle complaints people had with the Fire.

hemtae

Opting out of ads aside, which I know to some is a deal breaker, what is the verdict on these versus Google's tablet and others on the market?

Honestly, I don't think the 7" storage provides a good reason to get one over a Nexus 7 especially since Android is suppose to get Amazon instant video soon. The 8.9" version however I can see as being a replacement to the iPad but not its equal.

I watched the whole conference, and the whole time I just got this uneasy feeling that the whole thing was trying WAY TOO HARD to be an Apple Keynote. Everything from the slide layout, transitions, the way he presented things, introduced a key feature then a list of bullet points on the right, etc. It's the closest thing yet to an Apple keynote though, I'll give them that, and the product looks good (except for the ad spamming). It's just incredible how obviously influenced it was. Except Bezos' presentation style is soooooo slow. Like 10 second pauses between each sentence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXFCkLi-yqU&feature=player_embedded

Not liking the OS responsiveness. I'm having a year 2010 old school Android PTSD flashback watching that atrocious performance.

Owning an iPad has made me despise the responsiveness of not only every other tablet, but every other touch device I've ever tried. Seriously, nothing else compares. How hard can it be to make something smooth and responsive? Apparently extremely hard.

Aeana

Owning an iPad has made me despise the responsiveness of not only every other tablet, but every other touch device I've ever tried. Seriously, nothing else compares. How hard can it be to make something smooth and responsive? Apparently extremely hard.
Have you tried an Android device running 4.1? Google made a really conscious effort to improve the snappiness of it all with their "project butter" initiative, and I think they were very successful.

Have you tried an Android device running 4.1? Google made a really conscious effort to improve the snappiness of it all with their "project butter" initiative, and I think they were very successful.

I tried the Nexus 7 for a few min. 1st thing that comes close.

Zutroy

I see Amazon UK have updated their site with info about the new Fire, but nothing about the paperwhite Kindle. Has there been any word about a released date for it in the UK? I plan on getting one for my mum's birthday in October.

dwebo

seems like the embargo on reviews lifted

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/11/3317586/kindle-fire-hd-review-7-inch
There are two devices in this review. The first is something like an appliance — a window through which you casually view content, a way to listen to music, an e-reader for the train ride home. On that device, things like a big app selection or elaborate user experience take a back seat to content selection, price point, and simplicity. On that device, it's not about going toe-to-toe with the competition in every way (as Amazon seems to want to do), it's about offering a lot of fun stuff to consumers, and getting them to consume more. As that device, the Fire HD is a complete success. A marvel of bottom-line engineering and incredibly clever subsidies. It's a really, really good tablet for doing some very specific things.

But there's a second tablet in the review as well. One that gets compared to the iPad and Nexus 7. One that I expect to do more than just show me movies or help me shop. One that should be a companion for all kinds of things I want to do, that doesn't feel limited, that doesn't respond to my touches slowly, that doesn't make me wait.

As that device, the Fire HD still has a long way to go. I think it can get there, but it isn't there yet.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/11/amazon-kindle-fire-hd-review-7-inch/
Even if you step up and pay the extra $15 to disable Offers on your Kindle Fire HD, you can never and will never shake the feeling that this is less a tablet and more of a tool for shopping -- a Trojan Horse that's let into your home thanks to its low price and then unleashes a legion of must-buy items to completely compromise any walls you've built around your budget.

If you can get past that decidedly subsidized feeling, you do have a compelling package in your hands. The HD is fast, has a nice design, a beautiful screen, proper stereo speakers and, of course, oodles and oodles of premium content. For casual users looking for an inexpensive yet powerful tablet, the Kindle Fire HD should absolutely be at the top of your shopping list. But, for those looking to do more, and do more rapidly, the Nexus 7 is still the king of this diminutive hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom