• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - Season 5 of the award winning KGB spy drama - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mashing

Well shit. There's no coming back from that. One thing that bothers me, if they go home, it basically renders the Paige storyline completely moot. Which of course, means it's not going to happen.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Henry met the Mail Robot. I feel like we've crossed streams or something here! "It's more trouble than it's worth." Haha.

Philip and Elizabeth thinking about cashing in their chips. Shit. Just. Got. Real.

IronRinn

Oleg storyline was good too. It shows that Phillips suspicions of the KGB are all true. Shady shit.
Yep. Same thing they (perhaps unsuccessfully) tried to do with the Nina storyline (besides giving us some closure for the character, of course). Just shows how broken and uncaring the system is that they're working to protect.

I keep thinking about the last act of this episode. Fucking brutal.

Wait, so that Russian lady just buried the bodies, or was forced to shoot them? At the start of the show they made it sound like she defected and was a cold blooded mass murderer.

IronRinn

Wait, so that Russian lady just buried the bodies, or was forced to shoot them? At the start of the show they made it sound like she defected and was a cold blooded mass murderer.
They made her bury her family then they made her execute prisoners. At what point she began to do so "willingly" is a matter of debate, I suppose.

Aiii

So not worth it

You think, maybe, the KGB/Center is lying to their spies to get them to do dirty work they might not want to do? I am shocked.

- Podcast for this week is up
This week, Thomas speaks with co-showrunners Joel Fields and Joe Weisberg about what the search for a Nazi collaborator in Episode 511, “Dyatkovo,” teaches Philip and Elizabeth about themselves. Then producing director Chris Long talks about how directing television is different from other mediums—and why spy shows work best in wintery settings.
Fields and Weisberg discuss how the Natalie Granholm sequence is based on a true story (they actually tracked her down in Russia, but the rest of it is very similar), how Philip just can't do it any more and Elizabeth essentially chooses the marriage over the work at this point, Henry being a lighter, less-Russian figure than the other three members of his family, and a few other things.

"He thinks I'm wonderful"

:(

give her the guest actress emmy
- Gold Derby: Irina Dubova is outstanding in major acting debut on Tuesday’s ‘The Americans’

She's an accountant by trade and apparently just does a bit of acting on the side. This is her English speaking debut. Really impressive. She wasn't submitted, though. :(
It is regrettable that FX did not submit Dubova for Emmy consideration in Best Drama Guest Actress, although it is admittedly a wise move strategically, so FX can focus on campaigning Alison Wright. She should have been nominated for Best Drama Supporting Actress last year (and was by Gold Derby) as the naively traitorous Martha Hanson and is back on “The Americans” with “special guest star” billing now. Irina Dubova will next appear in Bill Hader’s upcoming HBO comedy series “Barry.”
Also annoying, Gold Derby posted this article yesterday afternoon, and I wish I hadn't read it before watching the episode.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They should've submitted her. She absolutely demolished that scene. That whole last act was the highlight of the season (so far).

I was pretty sure it was going to go south because of the constant "viewer discretion" warnings after every commercial break, but man when it did it was still a gut punch. Seems like this is the last straw for Phillip and Elizabeth.

At the beginning of this week's episode, Henry was listening to "Hard Times" by The Jetzons aka the Ice Cap Zone music from Sonic 3.

"Hard Times" wasn't released to the public until 2009.

- Warming Glow: ‘The Americans’ Anxiety Report: Things Are Fine (Things Are Not Fine)

VDpcpra.jpg

Devastating episode. Hearing the mail robot slandered like that shook me to my core.

- Gold Derby: Irina Dubova is outstanding in major acting debut on Tuesday’s ‘The Americans’

She's an accountant by trade and apparently just does a bit of acting on the side. This is her English speaking debut. Really impressive. She wasn't submitted, though. :(
Also annoying, Gold Derby posted this article yesterday afternoon, and I wish I hadn't read it before watching the episode.

I was wondering where they found her because she was tremendous.

Redd

They made her bury her family then they made her execute prisoners. At what point she began to do so "willingly" is a matter of debate, I suppose.

So it was true? The kgb story of her killing all those people. Damn....I hoped she was just lying so Phillip and Elizabeth wouldn't kill her husband.

Well Elizabeth had to do it because the centre still don't trust Phillip. Not like they can just walk away from it. I just wish it affected Elizabeth more.

The feels. I'm hurting inside.

Rehynn

Remember, Elizabeth once forced an innocent old lady to commit suicide while she watched.

"That's what evil people say when they do evil things" remains perhaps the most chilling line in the show's history, both in terms of meaning (especially in the context of the series) and delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom