• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apprentice UK - Series 11 |OT| Thank the Lord, it's Claude

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
5b33685fb18784ad69e8de5dab0f9434f306a763.png

Best Apprentice is back! Tomorrow and Thursday, and then every Wednesday, at 9pm on BBC One.

Sadly Nick has left, but Lord Sugar has blessed us by bringing in corporate ball-crusher Claude to watch over the proceedings. With the promise that this year will be tougher than ever.

Also joining the proceedings is Jack Dee, who will be taking over You're Fired.

The Board

Apprentice_new_3470704b.jpg

Meet Claude Littner (iPlayer)

This Year's Cunts

p034dy0h.jpg

Meet The Candidates (iPlayer)

Aisha Kasim, 30

"Pressure makes diamonds. It's something I respond well to, I think it's go hard or go home."

apprentice-2015-aisha.jpg

Inventor Aisha owns a hair accessories business and says Victoria Beckham is her business inspiration. She fancies herself as a bit of a songwriter too, penning a jingle for one of her own products - a heated bun that curls your hair.

April Jackson, 26

"I'm Jamaican. We come first, we win on the track and we will win in the boardroom."

apprentice-2015-april.jpg

London-born April is a former beauty pageant winner, scooping the Miss Jamaica Universe title in 2008. She now owns a Jamaican boutique, but while she was living in the country, she set up an event management company and a children's charity. April draws business inspiration from Bethenny Frankel, saying she admires how the Real Housewives star built her business Skinnygirl Cocktails into a successful lifestyle brand.

Brett Butler-Smythe, 28

"I pride myself on not having any negative or bad traits about myself, they're all good, they're all positive."

uktv-apprentice-2015-candidates-men-9.jpg

Brett trained as a marine engineer with the Royal Navy and started his own property business from scratch. Plymouth-based Brett prides himself on being trustworthy, and aspires to "work hard, play hard [and] work harder".

Charleine Wain, 31

''I would describe myself as very determined, ambitious, and I always want to show that women can succeed in business.''

apprentice-2015-charleine.jpg

Charleine also joined the Royal Navy straight out of school, serving there for 11 and a half years. She now runs an online clothing boutique and a hair and beauty salon in Plymouth, naming her business inspirations at Patrick Cameron and Toni & Guy. Charleine has also raised over £20,000 for charity.

Dan Callaghan, 23

''I'm just a generally all-round quite entertaining person, I think. A lot of people laugh at me.''

uktv-apprentice-2015-candidates-men-4.jpg

Dan went into politics after leaving university, working for an MEP at the European Parliament in Belgium. Now based in Manchester, he's director of a fragrance company, saying that turning its fortunes around after a few tricky years is his proudest business achievement to date. Dan's inspiration is Amazon chief Jeff Bezos.

David Stevenson, 25

"Me and Lord Sugar will work together because you've got age and beauty and those two go hand in hand all the time. Sugar's got the age and I certainly am beautiful."

uktv-apprentice-2015-candidates-men-3.jpg

David owns a sports marketing company, aiming to get more bums on seats at live events. His proudest business achievement to date is managing to sell out Wembley for a football match between two women's national teams. David's business inspiration is Tesla's Elon Musk - hopefully he doesn't have aspirations to nuke Mars any time soon, though.

Elle Stevenson, 21

"I hate anything mediocre – I can't be middle. I hate being the person that comes second... I've never been the person that comes second. I'd rather be the one who fell over at the start of the race and never make it to the finish line."

apprentice-2015-elle.jpg

Elle is this year's youngest candidate, and says her proudest achievement to date is becoming operations director of a construction company aged just 20. She teaches herself Latin, but her idol is firmly rooted in the 21st century - yes, Elle's business inspiration is the woman who took on both Apple Music and Spotify, one Taylor Swift.

Gary Poulton, 34

"I look like the nice, easy-going, laid-back Brummie but once I start doing my business, people know I'm the real deal."

uktv-apprentice-2015-candidates-men-5.jpg

Gary prides himself on success in all he does, and made his living developing new store sites as programme manager at a big supermarket chain. He says his proudest achievement to date was delivering the company's largest property development programme in 2010 and 2011.

Jenny Garbis, 23

''You will see my name in lights – Jenny Garbis, don't forget that. That's going to be a global name. That's going to be an entrepreneur everyone looks up to.''

apprentice-2015-jenny.jpg

New graduate Jenny aced her Business Studies degree, earning the highest grades in the year, and says she's only happy when she's keeping busy. Jenny identifies as a feminist and admires Emma Watson for using her fame to call for gender equality through the HeforShe campaign.

Joseph Valente, 25

"I am the definition of success. I'm a godfather of business and I'm here to make Lord Sugar a lot of money.''

uktv-apprentice-2015-candidates-men-7.jpg

Joseph reckons that it's his destiny to become Lord Sugar's business partner, and describes himself as successful, passionate and driven. Based in Peterborough, Joseph runs his own plumbing company and compares running a business to having a child. His role model? Playboy founder Hugh Hefner.

Mergim Butaja, 23

''Why am I a worthy business partner for Lord Sugar? I'd be a challenge to him. Everyone he's met probably sucks up to him. I won't, I'll tell him like it is.''

uktv-apprentice-2015-candidates-men-8.jpg

Born in Kosovo, Mergim came to the UK with his family aged just 7, and says his determined attitude is key to his professional success. Coventry-based Mergim works as a sales accounts manager, and names his business inspiration as Chris Dawson, boss of The Range homes and gardens chain.

Natalie Dean, 25

"If I set my mind to something, I won't quit until I have done it."

apprentice-2015-natalie.jpg

Coventry-based Natalie is a corporate account manager in telecoms, and names Liv Garfield, the boss of water company Severn Trent, as her business inspiration. When she's not working, Natalie, who describes herself as a bit of a tomboy, plays football for a local women's team and cheers on Sheffield Wednesday.

Richard Woods, 31

"I'm a Swiss army knife of bouncy skills, business skills, enthusiasm: I've got everything highly tuned and highly chiselled."

uktv-apprentice-2015-candidates-men-2.jpg

Richard's only regret in life? Not becoming a millionaire before his 30th birthday - seriously. He runs a digital marketing firm, and already boasts four profit-making companies. Richard draws his business inspiration from Virgin Group chief Richard Branson.

Ruth Whiteley, 47

"Lord Sugar might think I'm a bit gushing, he might find me overzealous, but I think he'll think I'm great.''

apprentice-2015-ruth.jpg

Harrogate-based Ruth owns a sales training consultancy, but her background is in telesales. She's previously worked as a court reporter, and even hit the airwaves as a mid-morning DJ on her local radio station.

Sam Curry, 23

"I'm an interesting mix between happy-go-lucky and adventurous and then quite logical and sensible. It's a strange combination.''

uktv-apprentice-2015-candidates-men-1.jpg

Sam has an unconventional background compared to previous Apprentice candidates - he works as a private tutor and enjoys acting in his spare time. His business inspiration is less surprising - he's another fan of Richard Branson, arguing that his success shows you don't need to be ruthless or cruel to run a good business.

Scott Saunders, 27

"People do say to me they've never met anyone like me.''

uktv-apprentice-2015-candidates-men-6.jpg

Scott's biggest business obsession is making his first million, and he's a fan of very simple but effective branding. A senior sales account manager based in Hertfordshire, Scott's business inspirations include American motivational speaker, author and financial commentator Robert Kiyosaki, founder of Rich Dad Company.

Selina Waterman-Smith, 31

''I am strong-minded... I do like to be the leader.''

apprentice-2015-selina.jpg

Selina describes herself as feisty, strong and kind, and comes from a performing arts background including time with a circus. Selina emigrated to Dubai, and says that setting up her events company there is her proudest business achievement.

Vana Koutsomitis, 27

"I believe this is a marathon and if you have stamina and if you do things with integrity, morals and direction, you can get where you want to go."

apprentice-2015-vana.jpg

Social media consultant Vana says she honed her business skills at just 7 years old, selling her old toys on the streets of New York City. Since then, she's travelled the globe, settling in Barcelona. Her business inspiration is Ashton Kutcher, because of his eye for a good opportunity (the Two and a Half Men star has invested in businesses from Skype to Airbnb).

liquidtmd

Banned
Legit hyped and curious for Claude. Always the most entertaining interviewer, very curious to see what he brings to the table.

Walshicus

Would be nice if they managed to get a businessman who wasn't notable for his abject failures to headline the show. So fucking bored of Alan Sugar.

tomtom94

I think having Claude around will help refresh the show. The last series felt very gimmicky at times, not helped by the fact that there were a lot of surprise eliminations (as well as the finale being a foregone conclusion)

Plus, Jack Dee should be a worthy replacement for Dara on You're Fired.

Bets on Vana, Joseph or Brett to go week 1.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I've never watched this, so i have to ask:

Are the candidates handpicked to be megalomaniac morons? or, are the quotes fabricated?

One of the two has to be real.

liquidtmd

Banned
Would be nice if they managed to get a businessman who wasn't notable for his abject failures to headline the show. So fucking bored of Alan Sugar.

He spiel on the show is boring and agree I wouldn't mind a replacement, but the guys worth £1.4 billion.

He's had failures sure but his career and businesses have had notable successes. Him saying the iPod was a shit idea on release and would 'be dead by Christmas' was very funny though.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Before this year kicks off, lets also take a moment to remember Felipe the true winner of last year.

#skeletongate, never forget.

I'm picking Richard Woods to win solely based on the OP. Brett will be the leader in the first week.

This quote & picture combination are amazing:

Dan Callaghan, 23

''I'm just a generally all-round quite entertaining person, I think. A lot of people laugh at me.''

uktv-apprentice-2015-candidates-men-4.jpg

He looks like the younger brother of Chris Addison.

Dabanton

Going to miss Nick :(

His putdowns were so damm smooth and dry. Claude is good but his a bit too abrasive from what I've seen of him on the boardroom interviews.

mclem

Legit hyped and curious for Claude. Always the most entertaining interviewer, very curious to see what he brings the the table.

I suspect he'll tone down his style somewhat. I've noted that post-interviews, when he has that 'all the interviewers chat to Lord Sugar' bit prior to the proper boardroom, he's got a very different, less aggressive tone; I suspect that's what we'll see in his general day-to-day observation.

I recall that when Karen joined the show, her first episode happened to coincide with her speechifying about the deplorable state of some young women in business - helped along by a frankly shambolic showing from that years' women's team. I wonder if the first episode will be couched in a way that gives Claude his own showcase speech of some sort, just to let him set out his stall.

mclem

I've never watched this, so i have to ask:

Are the candidates handpicked to be megalomaniac morons? or, are the quotes fabricated?

One of the two has to be real.

The former, with a caveat that you should note that it's handpicked because they seem like megalomaniac morons. Some aren't. Occasionally. It's important to bear in mind that one of the more successful winners was a wrestling biochemist with the name of a late 90's pop star. And he was one of the normal ones!

I don't really see a The Nice One this year, though. Dan, maybe?

mclem

If they don't, they're terrible people.

Thinking further, perhaps that's more a You're Fired thing? More chatty, conversational, and as such able to handle it with more sensitivity.

I'll be disappointed if it's not at least acknowledged there.

theaface

Before this year kicks off, lets also take a moment to remember Felipe the true winner of last year.

Amen, brother. Should have got bonus points for thinking outside the box.

Incidentally I know this year's candidate Gary from work. By all accounts he's always struck me as a normal, decent guy. But with this show, you never know how people will turn out...

Chopper

The truth. It was a fucking skeleton!

I wonder if they've changed anything about the production of the show this year. I remember the fact that Sugar has already seen all the candidates business plans was problematic last year, as it kills the excitement around the interview stages.

SuperPac

Finally! I know it's still as rigged and terrible as U.S. reality shows but i never get tired of watching The Apprentice UK.

weekev

Banned
I do love The Apprentice, especially the first few weeks where they are completely clueless and racing to the bottom. I reckon Claude wont be such a hardass as Lord Sugar's eyes and ears. Its his M.O. to be a hardass as an interviewer, I imagine there will be moments though.

Carl

Fucking A-Men. It was a chuffing skeleton. Just because it was made of cardboard. If anything he should have got extra brownie points for that. Fucking Shuggs.

Ieu

The truth. It was a fucking skeleton!

I wonder if they've changed anything about the production of the show this year. I remember the fact that Sugar has already seen all the candidates business plans was problematic last year, as it kills the excitement around the interview stages.

Felipe deserved to be shit-canned. Everyone knew what Alan wanted but he decided to try to be clever and deliberately got something that was very cheap but matched what was asked for on paper (no pun intended). So by doing this Felipe ousted himself from the running by showing he couldn't be trusted and would only cause damage to the Sugar name if he invested in him.

Carl

Felipe deserved to be shit-canned. Everyone knew what Alan wanted but he decided to try to be clever and deliberately got something that was very cheap but matched what was asked for on paper (no pun intended). So by doing this Felipe ousted himself from the running by showing he couldn't be trusted and would only cause damage to the Sugar name if he invested in him.

But the piece of paper just said an "anatomically correct skeleton", so he hit satisfied the brief. If it said a "fully built, anatomically correct skeleton made from plastic" then fair enough but it didn't.

I guess we don't need this argument again though :p

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood

I will not hear a word against Felipe in this thread.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
So are they going to consider their business plans at some point in the first few episodes? Or just leave it until the end where the candidate can be royally fucked if they didn't think it through, despite doing amazing in all the tasks beforehand?

That pissed me off so much.

#SaveFelipe

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yay, another round of smug Candidates trying to sound smart but keep making simple mistake with my mother saying they are younger than you so why aren't you like them? ¬_¬;

Though I wish that they would drop the whole dragon den part and just go back to them winning a job.

Sadly Nick has left,

Noooooooooooooooooooo!! ;_;

but Lord Sugar has blessed us by bringing in corporate ball-crusher Claude to watch over the proceedings.

I am okay with this, as it means that Nick will be in the interview round.

Also joining the proceedings is Jack Dee, who will be taking over You're Fired.

Noooooooooooooooooo!! Bring back Dara. ;_;

Yep, Alan was just salty that Feplie thought outside the box. Though it would have help Felpie had he built it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom