• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Apprentice UK - Series 11 |OT| Thank the Lord, it's Claude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

Getting onscreen endorsements from the people in the industry he met with for advice.

Damn that's good.

Now watch Sugar pull another paper skeleton move and fire him because "that didn't fit the exact rules, they were for advice only!"

Plum

"Sorry guys but we couldn't afford a table to sit around this year. We'll just have to stand up outside the cleaner's closet."

Carl

Joseph's got it in the bag by the look of it, although i'm still not entirely sure what makes his idea unique

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Ricky Martin did well, he was back last year.

And the climb online one is doing alright as well. Not sure what happened to the plastic surgery thing though.

dandonnan

Neo Member
Joseph was the obvious choice. Would be interesting to see some of the other candidate's business plans though, as I wasn't a fan of the ones who got through to the interviews. Was sure Gary was going to win until he revealed his disco idea.

Really miss Dara and the old stage. Anyone know why Dara no longer does You're Hired?

He wanted to focus on his stand-up tour. I think it only ended a couple of weeks ago, so would have conflicted with You're Fired.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Joseph was the obvious choice. Would be interesting to see some of the other candidate's business plans though, as I wasn't a fan of the ones who got through to the interviews. Was sure Gary was going to win until he revealed his disco idea.

They should reveal them all on the website after it ends.

jesu

Blimey that'd turn you away from buying anything

Yeah, I didn't buy one.

Stylfile_Collection.jpg

Would have made nice Christmas presents though now that I think about it.

Vanguard

Welp, didn't know this was on so missed it. Clicked to watch it on catch up on bbc but it's not yet up, so took me to the main programme page where it told me who won. So, that's, well thanks BBC..

Kind of predicited/thought he'd win it after the last episode but still

Calabi

It's interesting no one challenged Vana's scientific claims. I didn't get that. Is she going to get a scientist to help develop the games, do it herself or have the game developer do it. And then have them peer reviewed. Not even Brain Training games are proven to help beyond you getting better at those specific games. So how can games help you match better with someone?

It seemed kind of crazy that she thinks she can just do that because she has an idea and isn't a developer herself. Or maybe she has some proof that wasnt shown.

wachie

The wrong one, won. It's apparent why Alan Sugar picked him as per his comments in the You're Hired programme. Best candidate was Richard but man did his business plan suck. He was probably the best candidate in all of last 5 seasons.

tomtom94

Having finally watched the final I have the same thoughts as I had about the entire series, a resounding "meh".

Going into the final I was reasonably convinced that Joseph would win and so it proved. Seems like a repeat of last year in a lot of ways (although this time I genuinely thought Lord Sugar would take the risk with Vana by the time the boardroom rolled around) - safe choice, expansion of an existing business, etc. At least Joseph wasn't saved on the strength of his business plan quite as blatantly as Mark was, and to be fair he's turned into a strong candidate in recent weeks, even if the state of Vana's business plan hangs over his victory.

So, on the whole? I think Claude did give it something of a shot in the arm, but the format is starting to look a little tired. Too many "shocking!" events aiming for Digital Spy headlines, I think. You're Fired is starting to come to terms with Dee and Ranganathan which is good, I stopped watching early on in the series because Dee was just being given lines written for Dara but I think they had his voice better by the time it became You're Hired.

Perhaps more importantly the show is starting to revolve around the non-business elements for drama. Two examples of what I mean: one, Mergrim being fired because he wasn't good at DIY; two, the change in format to "the food task" that means that the teams are responsible for the taste of the product (contrast earlier series where the meals were produced professionally), which is probably the biggest contributing factor to the whole 'zero orders' thing.

I thought it really was the least interesting final in a long time. None of the business plans in the penultimate episode seemed particularly interesting or deserving of the investment, and while Vana had the most interesting concept of the lot and was probably the better candidate of the two, it needed (as was brought up) far more than the show was offering to even get off the ground and was never going to be something Sugar was going to invest in through the show. Richard, who was probably the best candidate of everyone that remained in the penultimate episode, had a dreadful business plan which seemed to just be his existing one expanded. The season had some interesting challenges, but the candidates were just quite a weak bunch overall, and the business concepts in particular were weak.

If the show continues with the format, they absolutely need to make sure that all of the business concepts are something that Lord Sugar is willing to back, but kept in the dark as to whose business idea belongs to each candidate. Every year with this format seems to result in a few strong competitors making it to the semi-final, and then it being revealed that there business concept is poorly thought out or is just something that doesn't appeal to Lord Sugar at all.

SpaceWolf

Banned
At the very least, if they're going to keep with the business partner shtick, they need to change the name of the show.

Personally, I just miss the days when it was all about being Sugar's sidekick.

tomtom94

At the very least, if they're going to keep with the business partner shtick, they need to change the name of the show.

Personally, I just miss the days when it was all about being Sugar's sidekick.

To be honest they could very well bring that back for a future series. I think the main reason it changed was to avoid the problems that befell the American series around that time (especially the whole 'we're in a recession' thing)

but tbh I think the business plan thing would work fine as long as you have good business plans

and frankly Lord Sugar tends to pick people who are going to be his sidekick anyway, why do you think he picked Joseph and Mark

To be honest they could very well bring that back for a future series. I think the main reason it changed was to avoid the problems that befell the American series around that time (especially the whole 'we're in a recession' thing)

The last winner who was given a job by Sugar sued him for constructive dismissal.

mclem

Not-big-enough-news-for-a-new-thread-but-worth-talking-about-because-the-series-will-be-starting-up-soon news:

Rhod Gilbert is the new host of You're Fired!

We don't have a formal launch date for the series as a whole beyond 'October', but it might well make sense for it to end up in the slot currently housing Our Girl, which - I believe - has three more episodes to go.

Izuna

Banned
guys, dateplay kinda released and it's the biggest trash ever. the "games" are like "what's your fav pizza topping?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom