• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The artist known as Prince has died at age 57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowster

uh, there was a link posted on The Guardian with 10 tracks yesterday, but I wasn't able to play it for some reason.
Make a quick TIDAL account and you'll have a free subscription for thirty days to listen to most of his music. I wouldn't normally suggest anyone to check them out, lmao, but this is their one big trump they have over everyone else.

Scarfo

Banned
In that rolling stone interview they just published he talks about having 2 full Revolution band albums in the vault, MAN i would love to hear those!

I know one of the albums is called "Roadhouse Garden". He was gonna release it with Wendy and Lisa, but like many of his projects it got cancelled. I have two songs from that album called "Roadhouse Garden" and "Our Destiny" on dvd. Those songs are amazing. You can tell it was made during his Purple Rain period, due to how the melody and beat is so flawless.

Looks like users have been flocking to DailyMotion, where the copyright takedowns aren't a cancer that kills all joy, to upload TONS of Prince stuff.

I finally got to rewatch the video for 7:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3erej5

And Sexy MF:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3xiqz9_7-prince-sexymf-damn-u_music

Hell, I'd never even seen the video for Partyman, even though that's my fave song from Batman 89.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x44zgqt_prince-partyman-1989_music

But my favorite Prince song will forever be Kiss.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x463k20_prince-the-revolution-kiss_music

The filthy way he sings that song and the weird instrumentation which is so progressive and inventive are just 100% incredible. Lots of "Pitchfork pop" acts are trying to get into 80s sounds these days but they slather it with reverb because we're in a post-chillwave/pre-shoegaze revival phase. But Prince knew that keeping it super dry and tight was what made the song move and sound funky. Clipped, percussive notes, not avalanches of synth waves. And I love Prince's mastery of ultra-high singing, that makes the ending to Purple Rain to huge. The whole song is in that voice. It's just an amazing track.

Go into the related pane on the right and, finally, mourn through some cool videos. Being able to do that with Bowie tracks helped me process that earlier this year.

Front page of the local paper:

He had supposedly destroyed parts of his body due to the strain of performance and refused to get surgery due to religious beliefs against blood transfusions, it wouldn't be surprising if he really needed dangerous amounts of painkillers just to feel good enough to perform :/

Yeah... Sad and disappointing but if it was an opiate related OD not surprising with the oldish stories about how bad shape he was physically and not being able to get surgery to take care of it because of the JW's stupid stance on blood transfusions. Are they even opposed to using your own banked blood?

No, stop trying to blame Prince's health issues by insulting his religion, JWs are advocates for modern medicine and surgery and have helped influence cutting edge forms of bloodless surgical procedures. This has already been pointed out many times earlier in the thread by other posters and in thorough detail here in this post with links to the Johns Hopkins University's Center For Bloodless Medicine which the JWs have worked with:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=201592304

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/bloodless_medicine_surgery/news.html

Lengthy three part article from the New Yorker last year, "How Jehovah’s Witnesses Are Changing Medicine:"

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/how-jehovahs-witnesses-are-changing-medicine?intcid=mod-yml

Based on what I have read so far, it was reported that in 2008/09 Prince postponed getting hip replacement because he wanted to get it done bloodlessly not only because of his faith but because hip replacement surgery is a major procedure and he didn't want any complications to occur. Bloodless surgery is not some fringe, fantasy medical practice, advanced forms of bloodless surgery have been around for several decades now. There are many doctors and hospitals where a person can get a major procedure surgically done without blood, not just in major cities. Even open heart surgery can be done bloodlessly. So if Prince wanted to postpone hip replacement surgery both due to not wanting a blood transfusion and also because he personally thought a bloodless procedure would be of better quality then I think his wishes there should be respected and he could have had it done bloodlessly any time he was personally ready for the reasons outlined above. I think it should also be pointed out that hip replacement surgery can be a very scary and emotional decision for some people, I know that firsthand from family experience with a relative who stubbornly put their hip replacement surgery off for a very long time.

Also, JWs are not the only people who seek out bloodless surgery, some seek out bloodless surgery because bloodless procedures are more advanced by their very nature and the person may feel they are getting higher quality care or fear of side effects (even though "rejection" effects the body may experience and blood bank mistakes statistically may not be that common).

Edit: Also read per that New Yoker article linked before, JWs generally don't accept their own banked blood but they widely accept dialysis and surgical procedures where their own blood is pumped and recirculated outside the body in a continuous flow.

bill0527

Go look up that Kevin Smith interview when Prince wanted to hire him to shoot a video. That's some fucked up stuff. There's a part in there about Prince wanting someone to bring him a camel at 3am and he couldn't understand why no one could bring him a camel in the middle of the night, in the middle of winter, in the middle of Minnesota.

Wow.

Niagra Falls turned Purple on the day of Prince's death

niagaraprince.jpg

Yeah, this was done to celebrate Queen Elithabeth's 90th birthday, which coincidentally also happened to be the day Prince died :(

I always loved his contribution to the 1989 Batman soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWx_sv8MH6Q

It was funky as fuck.

There is a great Rolling Stone interview with Paul Westerberg up that you should check out. He talks about his times spent with Prince, but I really loved this part:

I've spent more time with Bob Dylan, and I've got to say that I was more in awe of Prince. I can't think of anyone better – an all-around composer, musician, guitarist, star, showman, the whole package, anyone better. If Elvis wrote all of his songs and played guitar, it still wouldn't quite be there. He'd play Jimi Hendrix-style, between his legs and behind his back. And then he'd do the splits. He could put the guitar down, and Jimi would become James Brown. He could hold the crowd like Mick Jagger, but could Mick Jagger play the piano like that? And then, lyrically, there's something like, "When Doves Cry." There's obviously more going on there than meets the booty.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...think-of-anyone-better-20160422#ixzz46bBnz2NV

Trojan

The album art from above is from one of Prince's singles. Apparently, he never told Dave about using that image on the cover of it until it actually released, and Chappelle admitted that Prince got him back pretty good.

(Also worth noting that per Dave's own telling, Prince invited him back stage after one of his shows, telling him he actually liked the sketch and asked him if he wanted any pancakes.)

Lmao amazing troll by Prince

This bit on Wikipedia got a chuckle out of me
In 2014, the world's first feature film in a Tuareg language, Akounak Teggdalit Taha Tazoughai (Rain the Color of Red with a Little Blue In It), was created as an homage to Purple Rain.

Doesn't quite roll off the tongue in the same way

Really? Isn't he one of the few artists that flat-out refused to allow Weird Al to parody his songs? In fact he didn't just say no:

The no eye contact demand thing is actually funny, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just hardcore trolling Weird Al and having fun with him on that one kind of like the album cover with Chapelle.

MisterR

The no eye contact demand thing is actually funny, I wouldn't be surprised if he was just hardcore trolling Weird Al and having fun with him on that one kind of like the album cover with Chapelle.

Yep, he clearly liked to just fuck with people. Everyone who knew him said he was funny as hell.

someday

Banned
Go look up that Kevin Smith interview when Prince wanted to hire him to shoot a video. That's some fucked up stuff. There's a part in there about Prince wanting someone to bring him a camel at 3am and he couldn't understand why no one could bring him a camel in the middle of the night, in the middle of winter, in the middle of Minnesota.
I got the impression that the camel thing was a crazy example of something he might do, not an actual experience. I didn't take it seriously.

Boke1879

Real Talk. Who has a video link to his VMA "I get off" performance. I can't find it on youtube. I found it once and can't seem to locate it now.

What's with celebrity deaths and stupid conspiracy theory/woo shit. I have a teacher friend who posted a link to 'truthkings' claiming that the emergency landing was needed so he could get a flu shot... The flu shot subsequently killed him.... I've called her out on it but I hate the spreading of bullshit.

What's with celebrity deaths and stupid conspiracy theory/woo shit. I have a teacher friend who posted a link to 'truthkings' claiming that the emergency landing was needed so he could get a flu shot... The flu shot subsequently killed him.... I've called her out on it but I hate the spreading of bullshit.
Because when people don't have a full story filling in the gaps with outlandish shit is usually a lot more entertaining than the truth.

20/20 special right now!!!

I don't know if this has been posted but I thought it was extremely touching. Had no idea about any of this.

https://www.facebook.com/DJJayTre/videos/1019733794773492/

This video was very touching and should be tweeted at every pompous hater on Twitter saying Prince was a selfish recluse and a jerk.

Only line from Van that I think needs to be clarified that people might misinterpret is "He was a Jehovah's Witness so he was not allowed to talk about his charitable acts." JWs do not discourage charitable gifts and encourage generosity both to members and non-members. Based on my understanding Prince would have chosen not to talk about his community work and charitable gifts out of his own personal concern that he would be viewed as having false piety/hypocrisy that sometimes dogs other rich donors and bringing attention and glory to himself.

20/20 Special is OK so far but they started with a death speculation report from Harvey st TMZ. :/

Great montages so far, man what a virtuoso and an incredible talent.

Scarfo

Banned
It's an shame Mtv or Mtv2 isn't flooding the airwaves with Prince music videos. I'm disappointed by this. If Madonna had passed, you and I know it would be an Madonnathon the entire weekend. Pardon my little vent.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
It's an shame Mtv or Mtv2 isn't flooding the airwaves with Prince music videos. I'm disappointed by this. If Madonna had passed, you and I know it would be an Madonnathon the entire weekend. Pardon my little vent.

They recently bought Palladia and this morning during their music video block it was nothing but Prince.

20/20 special just covered the period when Prince dropped his name and battled it out with WB Records. People used to spoof his behavior during that time with "The Artist formerly known as...." jokes but it all stemmed from his principled rage against WB's garbage treatment of him. I also didn't know he got around CD sales post-WB by including CDs with his concert tickets, guy was brilliant.

20/20 special just covered the period when Prince dropped his name and battled it out with WB Records. People used to spoof his behavior during that time with "The Artist formerly known as...." jokes but it all stemmed from his principled rage against WB's garbage treatment of him. I also didn't know he got around CD sales post-WB by including CDs with his concert tickets, guy was brilliant.

The Symbol album is probably my favorite. My wife is watching the 20/20 special.

Scarfo

Banned
They recently bought Palladia and this morning during their music video block it was nothing but Prince.

still Mtv whould be the channel playing his videos since Prince was one of the pioneers of music video. In fact, Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Prince are the Holy Trinity of the Music Video. They helped build Mtv. (or Mtv2)..before they went reality television crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom