• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The artist known as Prince has died at age 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
So good to see parents bringing their kids right now to Purple Rain on the big screen.

Show starts in 15mins! Trying my best to keep it together and not cry here. 💜☔️

Still kinda having trouble believing this. Here in MN he was a gigantic figure. He would put on secret impromptu concerts all the time, a bunch of my friends have stories about seeing him/meeting him, he was a supporter one of our most notable local record stores The Electric Fetus (a really big part of our music community here). He was shopping at the Electric Fetus just the other day. It's just so sad. He didn't do any drugs and was so active, we all thought he was going to live forever. Or outlive Keith Richards at the very least. Such a nice guy too, he would do collabs with smaller local artists he liked (though a lot of that just got put in his vault), he even owned a second home that he would let musicians/artists/writers he was working with stay at while they were in the area.

He definitely had some crazy weird tendencies from his excessive wealth, but all those stories just exaggerated his otherwordliness and made him that much more endearing.

It's tough to properly express to people how important he is and was to Minnesotans - especially the poor, black, urban Minnesotans many don't even know or care exist.

He could have used his newfound wealth and fame and fled the state to an area that would have afforded him more opportunities, a bigger scene, or a more cosmopolitan community. Instead he chose to stay and become a champion for his people and his community in front of a global audience. He lifted up so many gifted musicians who were passed over simply because nobody cared about music from Minnesota, and turned the local scene into a globally influential sound. Him not being around anymore represents a massive loss for the community he never left.

Scarfo

Banned
The channel formerly known as Palladia is now MTV Live. Internet says its on Uverse on channel 1505, but you may want to double check that.

And MTV didn't recently "buy it", it's been owned by Viacom and a sister network to MTV since its inception, they just chose to rebrand it recently.

Thanks. I have Mtv Live but it's an premium channel I don't have. My U-Verse bill is already $257 per month, so I'll pass on ordering it. On the bright side I've been downloading the few music videos I don't already have from youtube. It's weird actually seeing Prince music videos on youtube again. :) But on an sadder note...it just feels so weird knowing Prince is gone. I grew up listening to his music. Throughout each phase of my life there was Prince music. I'm still in disbelief.

Hit some garage sales this morning, stumbled upon this and thought it was interesting. It was in a box with a bunch of other records. Anyone know anything about it?

You stumbled a pond an goldmine. That's gonna be very valuable. an record promo of one of Prince's early albums. That's an goldmine for an collector!

Ivan 3414

I'm watching the SNL Prince special right now; the episode is titles "Goodnight Sweet Prince"

...The internet ruined that phrase for me

Ninhead

I'm watching the SNL Prince special right now; the episode is titles "Goodnight Sweet Prince"

...The internet ruined that phrase for me

Showed up a half hour late- they didn't show him playing "Electric Chair" In '89, did they? Knowing my luck, I missed it.

ironcreed

Banned
This just... blows my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhpmKif-XKI

And the video has mostly likes.

yNen4e9.gif

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hopefully that Live album (from the piano/mic tour) he announced is still going to happen. The bootlegs sound absolutely amazing.

Meowster

Does Prince just play the opening to Madonna's Like A Prayer or is he the guitar throughout the entire song? I know the opening is definitely him. Wish they would have collaborated more.

Nah, that's just the single.

You can see the pics upthread.

edit: Wait a min. That might not be Dirty Mind in its entirety, though. I thought that was Side B of the record, but Side B of Dirty Mind has Uptown leading it off.

Plus that looks like its Side A (?) So I guess it was a maxi-single of the last three songs on the record in sequence?

What the hell is that thing?

edit edit: It's this.

Didn't Clapton once call Prince the greatest guitarist. Someone asked him, "How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist ever?"
To which Clapton said, "I wouldn't know. You should ask Prince."

Or maybe I am just imagining that.

Didn't Clapton once call Prince the greatest guitarist. Someone asked him, "How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist ever?"
To which Clapton said, "I wouldn't know. You should ask Prince."

Or maybe I am just imagining that.

Nah, it's just an internet meme. I believe the actual quote has Clapton pointing people towards Rory Gallagher.

Kinda like how every libertarian sentiment in the last 15 years has been attributed to George Carlin even though he almost never said any of that shit.

just in case you didn't think Prince was one of the greatest to ever strap on a guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPCbe_rFwc8

people always look at me funny when I make that claim

Yeah, it's sad that that's a pretty common reaction.
It makes sense though considering how black people's contributions to guitar-driven genres are generally ignored or trivialized.

The annoying thing is...you can easily tell how good he is if you just listen to something as early as "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?" or "Bambi".

Edit: lol zero_suit, yeah you're right; I actually felt guilty leaving out "Bambi".

zero_suit

Yeah, it's sad that that's a pretty common reaction.
It makes sense though considering how black people's contributions to guitar-driven genres are generally ignored or trivialized.

The annoying thing is...you can easily tell how good he is if you just listen to something as early as "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?".

And "Bambi"

John Dunbar

correct about everything
speaking of his guitar playing, did he actually play the guitar during his super bowl halftime show, or was it playback? at times it sounded like the guitar kept playing when he wasn't even touching it. pretty sure even he wasn't that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom