• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The artist known as Prince has died at age 57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

Just how many instruments did he know how to play? It's insane. I feel like he was one of those guys that could pick up and learn how to play anything if he wanted to.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Love Sexy MP3 album is 99p on Google Play UK store if anyones interested

https://play.google.com/store/music/album/Prince_Lovesexy?id=Byolndz4eeqyde3dziliwk5mxwu&hl=en_GB

And yes it is a full album despite only being one track, check time length 45 mins 03 secs

Was a great, great album. I was listening to it yesterday. I had the vinyl, later collected the singles on mp3 but last year I found the album cut into mp3s, something I swore I would do myself, but never did. Positivity and Anna Stesia were my favorite tracks. Though Glam Slam was up there too.

Fake edit - Why are you guys having a flame war in this thread? I swear some of you would argue about anything at any time.

Was a great, great album. I was listening to it yesterday. I had the vinyl, later collected the singles on mp3 but last year I found the album cut into mp3s, something I swore I would do myself, but never did. Positivity and Anna Stesia were my favorite tracks. Though Glam Slam was up there too.

Yeah one of my faves. I still have the CD (one of the first CDs I ever bought) and it's all one track.

This is a realy great mix played on the Friday on NTS. Well worth playing.

http://www.nts.live/shows/raji-rags/episodes/raji-rags-prince-tribute-22nd-april-2016

TRACKLIST
PRINCE-FOR YOU
PRINCE-WHEN DOVES CRY
PRINCE-CLIMAX (UNRELEASED)
PRINCE-LUST U ALWAYS (UNRELEASED)
94 EAST AND PRINCE-JUST ANOTHER SUCKER
PRINCE-I WANNA BE YOUR LOVER (DIMITRI FROM PARIS RE-EDIT)
CHAKA KHAN-FEEL FOR YOU
PRINCE-EROTIC CITY (DANCE MIX)
THE TIME-777-9311
SHEILA E-THE GLAMOROUS LIFE
THE TIME-CHOCOLATE (PRINCE VERSION - UNRELEASED)
PRINCE-LISA (DEMO)
PRINCE-EXTRA LOVEABLE (DEMO)
PRINCE-LITTLE RED CORVETTE
PRINCE-LADY CAB DRIVER
PRINCE-U GOT THE LOOK
PRINCE-WE CAN WORK IT OUT (UNRELEASED)
PRINCE-LET’S WORK (DANCE MIX)
PRINCE-CONTROVERSY (EXTENDED MIX)
PRINCE-IRRESISTIBLE BITCH (1980 DEMO)
THE SYSTEM-IT'S A PASSION
PRINCE & THE REVOLUTION-RASPBERRY BERET (EXTENDED 12" VERSION)
PRINCE-1999
PRINCE-POSSESSED (UNRELEASED)
PRINCE-FEEL U UP (1980 DEMO)
PRINCE-HEAD
PRINCE-PARTYMAN
MORRIS DAY-THE OAK TREE
VANITY 6-NASTY GIRL
PRINCE-CREAM
THE TIME-THE WALK
PRINCE-SOFT & WET (UNRELEASED)
PRINCE & MILES DAVIS-CAN I PLAY WITH U? (UNRELEASED)
THE TIME-GET IT UP
PRINCE-KISS
PRINCE-FEEL U UP
PRINCE-MONEY DON'T MATTER 2NIGHT
PRINCE-D.M.S.R.
PRINCE-BLACK SWEAT
PRINCE-COME (DEMO)
PRINCE-SEXY M.F.
MAZARATI-100 MPH
PRINCE-WOULDN'T YOU LOVE TO LOVE ME (UNRELEASED)
PRINCE-ALPHABET ST.
PRINCE-STARFISH AND COFFEE
PRINCE-THE BALLAD OF DOROTHY PARKER
PRINCE-BABY GO-GO (UNRELEASED)
PRINCE-REBIRTH OF THE FLESH (UNRELEASED)
PRINCE-ILLUSION, COMA, PIMP AND CIRCUMSTANCE
PRINCE & THE NEW POWER GENERATION-CLOCKIN' THE JIZZ (INSTRUMENTAL VERSION)
PRINCE-MUSICOLOGY
PRINCE-SIGN 'O' THE TIMES
PRINCE-LET'S GO CRAZY
PRINCE-IF I WAS YOUR GIRLFRIEND
PRINCE-I WONDER
PRINCE-BREAKFAST CAN WAIT
PRINCE-DON'T PLAY ME
PRINCE-HOW COME YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE
PRINCE-DIAMONDS AND PEARLS
PRINCE-THIEVES IN THE TEMPLE
PRINCE-STARE
PRINCE-OUR DESTINY (UNRELEASED)
PRINCE-I WOULD DIE 4 YOU
PRINCE-PURPLE MUSIC

Prince was legit amazing on all instruments but the only people I've seen who really think he was the greatest ever guitar player seem to:

1. Not play guitar themselves

2. Never have heard of Clapton, Hendrix, SRV, Segovia, etc.

Prince is better than Clapton and Hendrix. Hendrix is a god, but he didn't live long enough to attain the breadth of work that Prince had. SRV is awesome too, but I think its a matter of preference, and I prefer Prince. I also play guitar.

see5harp

Going back and listening to some of these albums he released under his symbol is sorta rough lol. The Greatest Romance Ever Sold is ssooooooooo shitty.

What? Why would any musician do that?

Same reasons other artists destroy their own work, hes not happy with it and wouldnt want it out there as a reflection of his work.
I always got the impression MJ as an example would be pissed his estate put out unfinished work of his and hacked it up.

I really hope the estate is handled with class and not straight cash grabs. Need some Blu-ray concerts and HD remasters done for some of the classic albums. Give us the unreleased albums and RELEASE SIGN O' THE TIMES BLU-RAY IN THE U.S.... The Grateful Dead do a good job with their vault but they are overpriced as far as I'm concerned.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
it's kind of funny how someone put the entire sign o the times album on youtube on april 13th, and it still has not been taken down.

I drove past Paisley Park yesterday just to check it out (I literally live within 10 miles of the place and never knew what it was despite having gone by it like 100 times).

The amount of purple from the balloons and stuff people have set up there that just hits in the face as you get close is pretty amazing. Was still a ton of people visiting and leaving stuff at the gates as of Sunday. I admit, it was pretty moving. Glad I drove by.

Sdkkds

Neo Member
Nah you didn't read it some years ago. It's a BS internet meme that started a few days ago.

I read it in a norwegian music magazine, but you never know if they write the truth. It was just before he had his last concert in Norway, so it was a couple of years ago (it was in 2013).

But then again, you would know better where I read something.

Not saying that it is true, but I did not read it two days ago in a meme

I read it in a norwegian music magazine, but you never know if they write the truth. It was just before he had his last concert in Norway, so it was a couple of years ago (it was in 2013).

But then again, you would know better where I read something.

I do, it's weird.

The SNL special was great. Funny I was reading a handful of nasty tweets from someone earlier that day saying things like "Celebrate Prince's music if you must but everything I've heard last 20 years he was a hateful vindictive person" and "it's a shame Prince died a lonely life as a recluse." Not long after that I rewatched his episode on That Girl and later the same evening I turn on the SNL Special and see the video of him rocking out, smiling and having a great time at the SNL 40th party. People who dump on folks after they die certainly are pathetic, joyless, cynical narcissists aren't they?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Little Red Corvette has been stuck in my head since the day before he died. Make it stop!! Aaaahhhhhhhhhh

TheWorst

I'm so weirded out that I googled his age the day before he died. I don't think that I've ever googled anything about Prince before (well, besides maybe that Animaniacs joke), and the day after I do, he's found dead. Next time I'm curious about somebody's age, I'm definitely going to think twice.

Another thing: I've realized that, despite Prince's popularity, I really haven't heard any of his songs. "When Doves Cry" is the only one I can sort of recall the tune of. Is his stuff not played on the radio for some reason? I just find it strange because I can't go a week without hearing an MJ song. Definitely going to dig into his library now, however.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I didn't think it would effect me as much as it did, but that SNL tribute to Prince made me start crying. That ending crushed me. What a loss to this world.

I listened to this and Charlie Bones show on there. I love NTS!

Awesome mix too.

Yeah for sure. I rate this one more as its got some really nice blends and isnt so long haha

Still 7/7 on coming home and putting atleast one Prince LP on. Purple Rain really is absurdly good.

Annoyed that I dont have Around the world though and its now $$$$

Is his stuff not played on the radio for some reason? I just find it strange because I can't go a week without hearing an MJ song. Definitely going to dig into his library now, however.

It is, but it's mostly of the "non-sexually suggestive" safe for work variety, or at least the ones where people playing it didn't figure out the double entendre. So that would be:

Little Red Corvette
When Doves Cry
Let's Go Crazy
Raspberry Beret
Kiss

...and _maybe_ after that you might hear I Would Die 4 U and The Most Beautiful Girl In The World. Chances are if they play a song it will be Little Red Corvette or Raspberry Beret, or 1999.

Diamonds and Pearls when it was new was in fairly heavy rotation, but its' rarely played compared to the six songs above.

I was watching some of his old performances and it was kind of sad to think that the guitar he used in so many performances will never sing again and probably just hang on some wall in a museum...

breakfuss

Just received an update from AP that he didn't have a will. So his sister is now filing paperwork to be appointed executioner. Hope it doesn't get messy. Apparently he has a number of half-siblings.

Diamond

I have the 1985 concert from Syracuse. That is the definitive version. Every other version pales. 18+ mins. Long intro with Wendy on guitar. Then prince with the tan strat. Then more Wendy. Then prince with his signature guitar. The solo at the end is other worldly. 6 mins of brilliance

I think my favourite is the 83 version, the one they used to produce the actual (much shorter) vinyl version. 13+ minutes, longer intro, longer solo, the song has a lot more time to breathe. I like that it's still a completely pure version since it wasn't a hit yet : the audience doesn't sing much but there's still something magical in the air that you can feel. Unfortunately it's a version that is actively banned from Youtube.

I shamefully have no Prince albums but I am looking to rectify that. Should I start with the the Hits/B-Side album? There are some songs that are not on there that I like from the Batman album and Purple Rain.

I think my favourite is the 83 version, the one they used to produce the actual (much shorter) vinyl version. 13+ minutes, longer intro, longer solo, the song has a lot more time to breathe. I like that it's still a completely pure version since it wasn't a hit yet : the audience doesn't sing much but there's still something magical in the air that you can feel. Unfortunately it's a version that is actively banned from Youtube.

It was also Wendy's debut performance. 19 yrs old.

I shamefully have no Prince albums but I am looking to rectify that. Should I start with the the Hits/B-Side album? There are some songs that are not on there that I like from the Batman album and Purple Rain.

Most definitely.
You're talking about the three disc set right? That's a fantastic start.
The third disc (B-sides) is especially good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom