• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The artist known as Prince has died at age 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the reasons I took advantage of the $73 Prime subscription was for the free music, and I was hoping to find a nice catalogue of Prince stuff. Of course, there's pretty much nothing except for two songs; one of which, "Baltimore" I really like.

I also can't decide whether to get Sign O' the Times or Hits/Bsides collection.

phanphare

Banned
saw this article. fun story.

Trey Anastasio Talks About The Night Phish Partied With Prince

“We were kind of standing in the corner,” Anastasio told Rolling Stone. “One thing I remember is he didn’t serve cocktails, so in lieu of cocktails he served little Captain Crunch cereal boxes. I thought that was the coolest thing.”

Anastasio recalled watching Prince and his band who according to the guitarist were each utilizing Plexiglass instruments and speakers. “It was really cool. He was such a great guitar player, but people don’t point out he was a great rhythm guitar player. The band was playing this funky stuff. He had a woman singing with him, a kind of gospel singer, and she stepped out and started killing it. He stepped back, and I remember thinking that everybody tries to play like James Brown’s rhythm guitar player. Jammy guys do it a lot, and they all get it wrong, myself included. He was playing the most badass little rhythms with the drummer as soon as he got out of the spotlight. I was so fascinated by what he was playing. That’s when I noticed what a great guitar player he was.”

“The guy had the best bands,” the guitarist told Rolling Stone. “They were unbelievable. And that’s a skill in itself. Zappa didn’t just stumble into having bands that good. Prince didn’t just stumble into having bands that good. Bandleading is an art form. I have a little bit of experience in this, and let me tell you, I always admire people who consistently have great bands. Prince had figured out a way to hire really unique, really talented, really tight bands. And it’s easy to get one. But try getting two or three. That’s different. It’s horrible that he’s gone. I was heartbroken. He was way, way too young.”

I'm reading the lyrics to Purple Rain and it's giving me a newfound appreciation for its lyricism. The contrast between the subject matter and how gleefully and excited Let's Go Crazy sounds is absolutely stunning for instance.

Prince didn't get to rehearse his Guitar Gently Weeps solo.

After that he went back to his hotel, and I said, “You’re going to come back at 10 o’clock tonight, that’s when we’re going to rehearse the finale,” and he says, “I’ll see.” [Laughs.] He didn’t give me any guarantees, he just said, “I’ll see.”

The Petty rehearsal was later that night. And at the time I’d asked him to come back, there was Prince; he’d shown up on the side of the stage with his guitar. He says hello to Tom and Jeff and the band. When we get to the middle solo, where Prince is supposed to do it, Jeff Lynne’s guitar player just starts playing the solo. Note for note, like Clapton. And Prince just stops and lets him do it and plays the rhythm, strums along. And we get to the big end solo, and Prince again steps forward to go into the solo, and this guy starts playing that solo too! Prince doesn’t say anything, just starts strumming, plays a few leads here and there, but for the most part, nothing memorable.

GALLEN They finish, and I go up to Jeff and Tom, and I sort of huddle up with these guys, and I’m like: “This cannot be happening. I don’t even know if we’re going to get another rehearsal with him. [Prince]. But this guy cannot be playing the solos throughout the song.” So I talk to Prince about it, I sort of pull him aside and had a private conversation with him, and he was like: “Look, let this guy do what he does, and I’ll just step in at the end. For the end solo, forget the middle solo.” And he goes, “Don’t worry about it.” And then he leaves. They never rehearsed it, really. Never really showed us what he was going to do, and he left, basically telling me, the producer of the show, not to worry. And the rest is history. It became one of the most satisfying musical moments in my history of watching and producing live music.

Also the vault has been (forcibly) opened, so hopefully more gems like the one above to come

http://www.avclub.com/article/princes-vault-has-reportedly-been-opened-236065

Man, it's alluring but at the same time I'm feel very uneasy about this whole no will thing. It's amazing how stark the difference is between David Bowie's highly controlled departure and Prince's chaotic exit. Prince's image could ultimately be in jeopardy as all these people go ransacking through his shit.

megalowho

Man, it's alluring but at the same time I'm feel very uneasy about this whole no will thing. It's amazing how stark the difference is between David Bowie's highly controlled departure and Prince's chaotic exit. Prince's image could ultimately be in jeopardy as all these people go ransacking through his shit.
I really hope his family deals with the material prudently, but it did sound like he was into the idea of that music getting out at some point. To have the job of the person tasked with going through all those tapes..

Helen Mirren's outfit in tribute to Prince at the White House Correspondent's Dinner last night:

helen-mirren-017eba53-e403-428d-9666-b31649e5a84f.jpg

Some of Prince's music are total growers. Sign of the Times has really, really grown on me. Purple Rain hasn't because I just can't get past the gated drums in a lot of the songs, but I do appreciate a little now. The Beautiful Ones for instance, is easily the best song on that album for me.

On a completely different note, listening to Prince's music makes me want to play music again. I haven't picked up an instrument regularly in ten years. I have always had the natural talent for playing music, and listening to his music makes me want to PLAY his music. I'm this close to picking up a classical guitar and plunging back in. Songs like Adore make me want to especially start playing music again. Prince makes me want to play bass and electric so bad.

Ninhead

Extraloveable is definitely one of the great unreleased* Prince songs. I would kill for a CDQ version.

what we got doesn't count.

I've been saying it for almost twenty years. I need that song. Take the rape reference out. It's an amazing song regardless. That solo. My God, that solo.

About halfway through Hits/Bsides, and "7" is a new favorite of mine. I really dig it.

He's got a lot of really good music post-1990. I mean yea Purple Rain is Purple Rain, but a lot of the shit he did from 1991-96 is great. And 3121 is top 10 Prince LP(which might not sound like a great compliment til you realize this nigga made a LOT of music)

I dunno. I feel embarrassed because a lot of his music took me a few weeks to "get". But now that I got it I can't stop listening. I guess one thing that didn't help is that I had to go into his discography naked and didn't get enough time to appreciate them on their own individual merits. When you're going from album to album it doesn't help at all. Plus there's an overwhelming amount of content. Watching Purple Rain instead of just listening to it really helped. I feel dumb because how do you go from not getting music to absolutely jamming to it within weeks? Why didn't it resonate with me at the very beginning?

Music just works like that sometimes.

Sure, but to the point where they are starting to become one of your favorite musicians? I went from "I don't get Prince" to "This man may top David Bowie as my favorite musicial artst if I keep listening..." within a few weeks. I guess constant listening to his music helped.

I'm also sad - and angry - that it took his death for me to be introduced to his music. I never got to see him live. I never got to experience this until he was gone, and it's really eating me inside.

I'm enjoying his music so much I'm starting to get into actually playing music again.

bjork

Sure, but to the point where they are starting to become one of your favorite musicians? I went from "I don't get Prince" to "This man may top David Bowie as my favorite musicial artst if I keep listening..." within a few weeks. I guess constant listening to his music helped.

I'm also sad - and angry - that it took his death for me to be introduced to his music. I never got to see him live. I never got to experience this until he was gone, and it's really eating me inside.

I'm enjoying his music so much I'm starting to get into actually playing music again.

I had this happen with Tom Waits. Coworker would play his stuff and initially I was like "what IS this" and then it just grew on me and now I love me some Tom Waits. It's one of those things where I wish I'd have been introduced earlier, but instead of feeling bad about showing up late, it just feels nice to be at the party. So soak it up, Prince is good times. :)

I had this happen with Tom Waits. Coworker would play his stuff and initially I was like "what IS this" and then it just grew on me and now I love me some Tom Waits. It's one of those things where I wish I'd have been introduced earlier, but instead of feeling bad about showing up late, it just feels nice to be at the party. So soak it up, Prince is good times. :)

I guess it's something where there's a mystique to the music, and while you're like "what IS this?!" you still can't stop listening to it because there's something to it, something undefinable, and then one day you listen and you just get it.

I'm going to assume it relates to the fact that, beyond the notion that music grows on you the more you listen to it. But here's also the fact that the more you listen to a song or album, the more of its subtleties you can hear on each new listening - at least if they're a talented musician, you should. So you become more of an active participant with the music the more you listen to it.

Maybe.

Just throwing ideas.

lFSrEF2.gif

Emancipation was the first Prince album I ever bought.
Like most 3-disc albums, it's a little bloated, but it's still fantastic overall.

"Jam of the Year" "Right Back in my Arms" "Somebody's Somebody" "White Mansion" "Mr. Happy" "In this Bed I Scream"

"Sex in the Summer" "One Kiss at a time" "Soul Sanctuary" "Emale" "Curious Child" "Dreamin About U" "Joint 2 Joint" "Holy River"

"Slave" "New World" "Human Body" "Face Down" "Style" "Sleep Around" "Emancipation"

IMO all of these tracks are great.

Trying to find this performance of Prince. It was the first performance I saw of him ever, years ago on Facebook.

He was wearing briefs and cowboy boots and was absolutely rocking it.

Davey Cakes

I need to thank those in this thread that recommended The Gold Experience. Totally worth it.

Looking for more 90's Prince, I think I'll try out the Love Symbol Album.

My order of Dirty Mind on vinyl came in today. The front and back covers always kinda weirded me out for years, but I turned around on the album the other year after finally listening to it. But damn, seeing that artwork at full size just shows that the album is practically dripping with sexiness.

It feels like my speakers are wet right now as the album plays.

Alright.

I'm going to purchase my first Prince album on vinyl and I'm not sure which one to get.

Halp.

So many.

I'm leaning Purple Rain or Prince or Sign O The TImes. I just cant decide.

Is there going to be a mass reprinting of his albums on vinyl?

Oh and...

Trying to find this performance of Prince. It was the first performance I saw of him ever, years ago on Facebook.

He was wearing briefs and cowboy boots and was absolutely rocking it.

https://youtu.be/wd45L_kWnCg

Alright.

I'm going to purchase my first Prince album on vinyl and I'm not sure which one to get.

Halp.

So many.

I'm leaning Purple Rain or Prince or Sign O The TImes. I just cant decide.

Is there going to be a mass reprinting of his albums on vinyl?

Oh and...

https://youtu.be/wd45L_kWnCg
There are some reissues coming soon. Sign o' the Times is getting a reissue in August it seems.

Purple Rain is pretty common, since it was his biggest album (and what I currently have spinning right now).

I still need to get 1999 on vinyl though. But damn, Dirty Mind was just sexy as hell on that listen I just finished. Yes, I will keep pimping Dirty Mind for a bit.

Taking advantage of prime music and checking out a lot of stuff I would have otherwise never listened to, I was pleasantly surprised to hear Prince on Madonna's Like a Prayer album.

I had no idea the two collaborated.

phanphare

Banned
I need to thank those in this thread that recommended The Gold Experience. Totally worth it.

Looking for more 90's Prince, I think I'll try out the Love Symbol Album.

yeah the love symbol album is amazing. the black album is another good 90's album. then there's the New Power Generation stuff which I think is also great.

Davey Cakes

yeah the love symbol album is amazing. the black album is another good 90's album. then there's the New Power Generation stuff which I think is also great.
I've always liked the Black Album. Heck, it might have been the album that sold me on Prince. If not that, then Dirty Mind or Purple Rain.

I barely consider the Black Album to be 90's though. It released in the early 90's but was recorded in 1987.

It just seems like Prince has a ton of good albums. I already loved everything from Prince (1979) to the Black Album and there's just more and more to discover.

I decided to add a tribute of him in my game, I can't talk about it directly but hope it will be something fans will see and understand easily as it is a small part.

phanphare

Banned
I've always liked the Black Album. Heck, it might have been the album that sold me on Prince. If not that, then Dirty Mind or Purple Rain.

I barely consider the Black Album to be 90's though. It released in the early 90's but was recorded in 1987.

It just seems like Prince has a ton of good albums. I already loved everything from Prince (1979) to the Black Album and there's just more and more to discover.

yeah prince's output is nothing short of legendary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom