• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The artist known as Prince has died at age 57

Status
Not open for further replies.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I seriously can't believe Prince is gone. I wasn't a gigantic fan or anything, but man did he have some great songs during his hey day in the 80s. Not many people give enough credit to his album Parade. Songs like Christopher Tracy's Parade, Venus De Milo, Mountains and Under the Cherry Moon are great classics.

They should put Prince on the 20 dollar bill and call it $19.99.

It will be the bill formerly known as twenty.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i heard he hadnt left a will. i'm hoping it doesnt become a mess. it would be tragic if the unreleased stuff was never released and/or mangled in some releasing process.

rokero

I seriously can't believe Prince is gone. I wasn't a gigantic fan or anything, but man did he have some great songs during his hey day in the 80s. Not many people give enough credit to his album Parade. Songs like Christopher Tracy's Parade, Venus De Milo, Mountains and Under the Cherry Moon are great classics.

They should put Prince on the 20 dollar bill and call it $19.99.

It will be the bill formerly known as twenty.

yeesss

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I refuse to believe he didn't have a will. How the fuck can you amass that kind of money and not have a lawyer tell you to will up?

some articles i've read say he was told to get one multiple times, but he just didn't do it.

in a way i can see that, especially since he didn't have kids and wasn't married. going to be dead anyway so why care what happens to your stuff? dude was a bit of prankster, so people fighting over his inheritance might also have tickled his fancy.

He was also a pretty willful dude.

For example: He bailed out of a hospital after a Percocet overdose because they wouldn't give him a better room.

"Prince you have to write a will."
"I don't have to do shit, I'm Prince."
*flounce on out*

some articles i've read say he was told to get one multiple times, but he just didn't do it.

in a way i can see that, especially since he didn't have kids and wasn't married. going to be dead anyway so why care what happens to your stuff? dude was a bit of prankster, so people fighting over his inheritance might also have tickled his fancy.

I guess, but a will is also instructions on how to deal with your legacy. I can't believe he would work so hard and just let anybody take over his catalog and affairs when he dies. But yeah, he was a peculiar one.

entremet

Wow Prince didn't have a will?

Bananas!

I guess record companies are gonna eat for decades to come.

I know he was childless, but seems very strange.

Why the Settling of Prince’s Estate Could Get Very, Very Messy

Prince was divorced twice. His one child died shortly after birth. His parents are dead, too. This leaves not just his full sister, Nelson, but also seven half siblings as his equal inheritors. But not all of those siblings are still alive, so their rights transfer to their children. None of their personal relationships with their late brother or uncle is considered relevant.
From the [Wall Street] Journal, which interviewed Ken Abdo, an entertainment lawyer whose firm worked with Prince for several decades:

The matter of who controls rights to which recordings is one thing: Warner Music Group co-owns rights to unreleased music in Prince’s vault recorded between 1978 and 1996; any release requires permission from both Warner and the singer’s estate. But there is also the complicated task of sorting out matters related to any collaborators who wrote or recorded with Prince in the studio, Mr. Abdo said.

Even further complicating the matters: It’s almost certain the Internal Revenue Service is going to take an interest in Prince’s wealth, as well.

So, I posted this in the Black Culture Thread thread.

I didn't grow up on Prince. So when he died, although I respected his views on blackness and black power, I never really a relationship with his music.

So I got Tidal to listen to Lemonade and since I was there, I figured it was a good opportunity to get acquainted with his music. I felt left out because everyone was mourning him and enjoying his music and I felt left out. Prior to this, I was really only familiar with his bigger singles like Little Red Corvette and When Doves Cry.

I found myself preferring specific eras of Prince's music.

Prince (album), as far as I'm concerned, is his best album to listen to. In terms of content and song writing, I think 1999 and especially Controversy are his best albums. I think I like either Prince or Controversy the most. Do Me, Baby gets me hot. Jack U Off is also hot. All three of these albums show of Prince's wonderful singing ability, song writing, and music playing skills. I feel like his other albums are hit and miss. I love the actual song content in Dirty Mind, for instance, like the song writing especially, but the production doesn't jive with me besides Uptown and Partyup and I found it really plain to listen to. Maybe with time I'll like it more?

Once you get to Purple Rain though, his production starts sounding generic to me and less technical. It's not nearly as good as 1999 by a damn sight. Purple Rain sounds like a typical 80's pop album to me besides When Doves Cry. I don't like that album for the same reason I don't like Madonna, and one half of it is because the vocals aren't that good to me, but also because the production just isn't my style. Prince doesn't sing NEARLY as good as does in that album as he does in Do Me, Baby, for instance. I listened to Sign O The Times and Batman 89 Soundtrack and think both aren't my thing because I cannot stand the beats. Too pop, not enough funk/rnb. When Sign O The Times kicks it like in If I Was Your Girlfriend and Adore, I'm down, but it's not common.

I guess this is a part of Prince's constant evolution as an artist. I just seem to like his earlier work more, and that's okay.

In Summation:

I like this Prince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKFGtaJ0IgA

And this Prince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWbL34orOC8

Not this Prince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lx_x0rTh3c

Or this Prince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGIsK70Nc

One type is tight as fuck. The other just bores me. I dunno, I don't like a lot of 80's pop either. When it comes to that decade I'm mostly about hip hop, house, soul, and disco. I also have to admit that RnB/Soul/Funk black musicians tend to lose me when they go from those genres to pop. Something is usually lost for me and I can't "get" it. I feel the same way about Beyonce - until recently. I think MJ is the only exception for me, and that's because MJ still stuck with a production style I really really fuck with and still made interesting songs while still maintaining his incredible singing power.

I think it's bass that does it in his earlier albums for me. I think I require bass in my music? I'm such a stereotypical black person. lmao

Can someone help learn to appreciate the later albums I'm not big on? What of his 90's, 00's, and 10's catalgue do you suggest listening to? If not, that's okay, Prince's evolution as an artist is still interesting even though I'm not big on that evolution.

Can someone help learn to appreciate the later albums I'm not big on? What of his 90's, 00's, and 10's catalgue do you suggest listening to? If not, that's okay, Prince's evolution as an artist is still interesting even though I'm not big on that evolution.

Diamonds & Pearls and the Love Symbol album are basically your first two stops for his 90s stuff. Diamonds & Pearls in particular seemed to be kind of a return to earlier-era songwriting, but with all that extra experience and seasoning changing things.

His output in the 90s/00s is a lot more scattered, really. Once he was allowed to release whatever, whenever, it was kinda like putting a thumb over a gardenhose, it just sprayed everywhere. Constantly. It got hard to keep track.

So far as his Purple Rain-Around the World-Sign O' the Times-Parade run, keep in mind that the sound you recognize as typical '80s shit was really atypical as he was doing it. That wasn't what pop music sounded like on the average. I sorta feel like this is like when horror fans go back and watch Halloween, yunno? So much shit was sparked off by that movie, that when you watch it after seeing decades of people take inspiration from it, you can't be inspired in that same way by the original.

It's like asking someone to get impressed by a seed after having driven through a redwood forest.

Diamonds & Pearls and the Love Symbol album are basically your first two stops for his 90s stuff. Diamonds & Pearls in particular seemed to be kind of a return to earlier-era songwriting, but with all that extra experience and seasoning changing things.

His output in the 90s/00s is a lot more scattered, really. Once he was allowed to release whatever, whenever, it was kinda like putting a thumb over a gardenhose, it just sprayed everywhere. Constantly. It got hard to keep track.

So far as his Purple Rain-Around the World-Sign O' the Times-Parade run, keep in mind that the sound you recognize as typical '80s shit was really atypical as he was doing it. That wasn't what pop music sounded like on the average. I sorta feel like this is like when horror fans go back and watch Halloween, yunno? So much shit was sparked off by that movie, that when you watch it after seeing decades of people take inspiration from it, you can't be inspired in that same way by the original.

It's like asking someone to get impressed by a seed after having driven through a redwood forest.

You could make that argument, but even then, I love Halloween even though I had saw many horror films before it. I can see the appeal. Thriller was also something that set off tons of copycats, as did Sgt Pepper's and Abbey Road. My reasoning is that it should still probably stand on its own merits, right? But I guess we won't be able to agree there.

You could make that argument, but even then, I love Halloween even though I had saw many horror films before it. I can see the appeal. Thriller was also something that set off tons of copycats, as did Sgt Pepper's and Abbey Road. My reasoning is that it should still probably stand on its own merits, right? But I guess we won't be able to agree there.

Nah, we can agree there. I was just speaking to the "'80s samey shit," specifically that in the '80s themselves, his shit wasn't samey at all. Which is partially why he blew up as large as he did.

But it's not like everyone universally loved him back then either, so to each their reach and all that. Even Prince himself sorta poked fun at that on a few songs. Right now, within a week of his death, people are still in that mourning period where none of the negative really gets brought up for various reasons, but pretty soon people are gonna start reminding other people that there were R&B/Funk/Soul fans back in the '80s who didn't dig his shit all that much. And not because he was pretty, or weird. They just didn't like his shit. It didn't land for them.

(Which is what made the embrace of The Time over The Revolution - and that is a thing I very much remember happening for more than a few people - kind of a win/win for him. Even when you didn't like Prince, he tricked you into liking Prince)

I'm not saying "Well, if you liked Halloween, you should like this" or anything along those lines, just trying to use an analogy to get across the point that his sound wasn't particularly "samey" compared to his peers at the time, even though in retrospect you can see where he slots in and how the industry sorta flowed around that and incorporated bits and pieces, much like Halloween was a standout but you stand back and look from 30 years of distance and it seems to fit in a lot more cleanly than it seemed back then.

Nah, we can agree there. I was just speaking to the "'80s samey shit," specifically that in the '80s themselves, his shit wasn't samey at all. Which is partially why he blew up as large as he did.

But it's not like everyone universally loved him back then either, so to each their reach and all that. Even Prince himself sorta poked fun at that on a few songs. Right now, within a week of his death, people are still in that mourning period where none of the negative really gets brought up for various reasons, but pretty soon people are gonna start reminding other people that there were R&B/Funk/Soul fans back in the '80s who didn't dig his shit all that much. And not because he was pretty, or weird. They just didn't like his shit. It didn't land for them.

(Which is what made the embrace of The Time over The Revolution - and that is a thing I very much remember happening for more than a few people - kind of a win/win for him. Even when you didn't like Prince, he tricked you into liking Prince)

I'm not saying "Well, if you liked Halloween, you should like this" or anything along those lines, just trying to use an analogy to get across the point that his sound wasn't particularly "samey" compared to his peers at the time, even though in retrospect you can see where he slots in and how the industry sorta flowed around that and incorporated bits and pieces, much like Halloween was a standout but you stand back and look from 30 years of distance and it seems to fit in a lot more cleanly than it seemed back then.

For what it's worth, I'm listening to Around The World In A Day and it's amazing. Condition of the Heart is fantastic.

Im trying to remember, but did Prince ever do a video that had the same motif/style as the Graffiti Bridge cover? I'm trying to remember if I'm going crazy, or if for whatever reason I'm confusing it with the Michael Jackson/Eddie Murphy "What's Up with You" video

For what it's worth, I'm listening to Around The World In A Day and it's amazing. Condition of the Heart is fantastic.

If you haven't checked out any of The Time's albums, I'd definitely say give those a shot.

The Time
What Time is It
Ice Cream Castles
Pandemonium

Pandemonium wasn't all Prince like the other three are, that was after Jam & Lewis had established themselves, so some of their sound is present right next to Prince's. But stuff like Jerk Out and Chocolate is 100% Prince, and you can tell instantly.

Some of the best shit Prince ever wrote is on those albums. It's not as intricate or melodic, but it trades some of those qualities for some really, really satisfying funk.

edit: shit, was editing before I saw you already know about the Time. Apologies.

Everything Bobby said. Especially the Diamonds and Pearls part.

But more than that, i wanted to chime in about your [Cindi] post. It's cool that you're open minded about his work and are seeking some guidance on what to listen to. That said, a lot of us are still in mourning. Coming into the Prince thread and saying things are wack stings a bunch, even though I know that wasn't your intent. I came in this thread just to read some love about one of my favorite artists, and it threw me off a little when I read your posts that, although not intentionally dissing, was kind of disrespectful so soon in a thread where people are just coming to vibe.

But I get it. I know that your intentions were honest. I was just vibing to this Jennifer Hudson Purple Rain tribute and was wiping away tears just now from his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame contribution to My Guitar Gently Weeps.

Prince just wasn't one album, or several of them. He was an artist and the music just poured through him. I hear you, though. It took me a long time to get into some of Prince's albums, but sometimes you'll hear something like Sometimes It Snows in April or Sexy MF and just get it.

I'm just rambling. Sharing some emotion right now. I've been in a strange place these past few days missing a certain sound in 'black music' that seems to be all but gone. I'm missing the 'soul'. Prince was a big part of that.

My apologies.

It's all good, fam. No apologies necessary. Just enjoy the music. Whatever connects with you - if any - absorb it. There'll be plenty of time in a couple of weeks to analyze and dissect his music when folks are less sensitive and he's a little less mythological.

There's lots of outpouring and from-the-heart song recommendations in this thread. I don't even like all of Prince's music, but I'm always fascinated to hear what connected with other people and for what reasons.

It's kind of intimate, that way. Enjoy. Whichever era you choose.

Still hard to believe he's gone. I just purchased the Hits/B-Sides yesterday and I was taken on a roller coaster ride. It's crazy how multi-talented Prince was. A complete entertainer and musician.

I've heard a lot of live renditions of Joy In Repetition in my day (may be my favorite P song) but I came across this one today that may be my favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR5GEb9huis

This is my first time watching it and it looks like he's going into The Love We Make Towards the end (which is another super awesome song). What struck me about this version of JIR is the intro in the piano. I think the one thing I will truly miss about P is his penchant for changing up his songs as time went on. This added piano (and organ) part at the beginning sounds like it belongs to the song and not some shit he tacked on that doesn't mesh with the original. I haven't come across many artists that morph their songs over time (Madonna does it too) and its always a joy to behold.

Miss you P.

sonicfan

Venerable Member
I haven't checked this thread in days, nor youtube. Prince is now on Youtube??!!??

OMG YES.....

But what happened? His management just gave up trying to stop it or what?

sikkinixx

I'm not the hugest Prince fan but I'll be damned if his guitar playing doesn't make me melt. These synth-y pop songs that just fucking EXPLODE with crazy guitar riffs has always blown me away.

It's truly sad his memoirs never got finished as I bet he had some crazy stuff to talk about.

I haven't checked this thread in days, nor youtube. Prince is now on Youtube??!!??

OMG YES.....

But what happened? His management just gave up trying to stop it or what?

I was first alerted to something happening with Prince via my Facebook feed of people posting links to Prince songs on YouTube. I got so excited! I thought he'd finally relented and was allowing it. I'd just heard Let's Go Crazy on the radio and I was in a mood to buy an album. Now I could watch him play those songs!

That happiness lasted all of a minute.

If there's a silver, er, purple lining to any of this, it's that we get to see and share these incredible moments. And for all the bitching people do about putting away your phones and just enjoy the music, without that we wouldn't be seeing a lot of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom