• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The artist known as Prince has died at age 57

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching a clip with DJ Quik talkin about Prince from few weeks ago. Quik, said he'd sometimes be at the Nat King Cole studio over at Capitol Records and Prince would come thru and buy everyone Hennesy. Prince, always had the baddest bitches with him too, whenever Prince wanted to have someone join him at a club or his house he'd send one to collect whoever it was that he invited, and they'd come thru with like fresh vegetables, and salmon crouqettes etc.

qcf x2

I dunno. I feel embarrassed because a lot of his music took me a few weeks to "get". But now that I got it I can't stop listening. I guess one thing that didn't help is that I had to go into his discography naked and didn't get enough time to appreciate them on their own individual merits. When you're going from album to album it doesn't help at all. Plus there's an overwhelming amount of content. Watching Purple Rain instead of just listening to it really helped. I feel dumb because how do you go from not getting music to absolutely jamming to it within weeks? Why didn't it resonate with me at the very beginning?

Nothing to be embarrassed about. He was a genius, and genius often takes time for people to get, especially being so unique artistically. I mean, it took me going through Humanities in college to appreciate the likes of Picasso. More on topic, I thought Prince was specifically for dudes who were soft/eccentric or gay (it was the 90s and I was a kid, obviously I now know how ridiculous that notion was) until I actually sat down and listened to Purple Rain. Not the first time I heard it, because on the first listen or two it just sounds like this flamboyant overproduction about some vague shit that doesn't really make sense. But for some reason I kept playing it. And then it grabbed me and I dove into the library and never looked back. Prince is for grown ups. He's got the songs that make you dance like Delirious, but most of his stuff is deeper than the average radio fare. Not saying he's Shakespeare or anything, but everything the man did musically had purpose. After "getting" his music I suddenly had a higher standard for what I consume musically and I have ever since.

One of my regrets in life will be never having seen Prince or MJ perform in person. My favorite track will probably always be The Ladder, though I like Computer Blue, Nothing Compares 2 U, My Name is Prince (w/o the rap) and about a hundred other tracks.

Nothing to be embarrassed about. He was a genius, and genius often takes time for people to get, especially being so unique artistically. I mean, it took me going through Humanities in college to appreciate the likes of Picasso. More on topic, I thought Prince was specifically for dudes who were soft/eccentric or gay (it was the 90s and I was a kid, obviously I now know how ridiculous that notion was) until I actually sat down and listened to Purple Rain. Not the first time I heard it, because on the first listen or two it just sounds like this flamboyant overproduction about some vague shit that doesn't really make sense.But for some reason I kept playing it. And then it grabbed me and I dove into the library and never looked back. Prince is for grown ups. He's got the songs that make you dance like Delirious, but most of his stuff is deeper than the average radio fare. Not saying he's Shakespeare or anything, but everything the man did musically had purpose. After "getting" his music I suddenly had a higher standard for what I consume musically and I have ever since.

One of my regrets in life will be never having seen Prince or MJ perform in person. My favorite track will probably always be The Ladder, though I like Computer Blue, Nothing Compares 2 U, My Name is Prince (w/o the rap) and about a hundred other tracks.

Re: the bolded

If you read my earlier posts in this thread, I felt the same exact way about Purple Rain. But some reason you keep listening to it, and then it just grabs ahold of you.

It will be the first Prince album I buy.

I've downloaded Prince's LoveSexy concert, his Sign O The Times concert film, I've got a whole bunch of Prince videos saved now.

I can't download his Capitol Records concert and it's driving me nuts and I'm worried it'll get taken down.

I can't download this one either.

https://youtu.be/wd45L_kWnCg

Those who like Prince as a guitarrist should check out The Undertaker.

I have it on an old VHS-tape but since I haven't had a VHS-player connected in a very long time I looked on YouTube and now someone had uploaded it.

https://youtu.be/Of8y4f1nouQ

I cannot rip this. :(

I've downloaded Prince's LoveSexy concert, his Sign O The Times concert film, I've got a whole bunch of Prince videos saved now.

I can't download his Capitol Records concert and it's driving me nuts and I'm worried it'll get taken down.

I can't download this one either.

https://youtu.be/wd45L_kWnCg

I cannot rip this. :(

I used this site to download some P vids yesterday. The download speed was ass, but it worked.

For those interested, here is a Prince based podcast. They even did a "commentary" for Under The Cherry Moon that I want to check out.

red capsule

was watching a prince special on TV the other day and it showed him performing the batman song

(BAATMAAHNN) ♫♫ ~

didn't know he was involved with the batman movie. what a legend

was watching a prince special on TV the other day and it showed him performing the batman song

(BAATMAAHNN) ♫♫ ~

didn't know he was involved with the batman movie. what a legend

Damn you're missing out on a dope soundtrack. Check out his partyman music video. Dude is dressed like (half) the joker

Girl, watch out for those sites. They've got adware and malware galore. But it's worth it for his Purpleness.

Lol. I had all my blockers turned on, I didn't even notice. There used to be a plug in that used to work for Chrome and a plug in that still works for Firefox (even downloads as an MP3 iirc.) that lets you download from the youtube page.

Lol. I had all my blockers turned on, I didn't even notice. There used to be a plug in that used to work for Chrome and a plug in that still works for Firefox (even downloads as an MP3 iirc.) that lets you download from the youtube page.

Yep. I've got it. But it requires something in order to download something and that add on seems fishy.

I used this site to download some P vids yesterday. The download speed was ass, but it worked.

For those interested, here is a Prince based podcast. They even did a "commentary" for Under The Cherry Moon that I want to check out.

I'm at a point where I wish there were a Prince podcast. Like, every week, nothing but Prince. They choose a song for that weeks topic, they talk about the song and its artistry and about Prince. Every week. I'd listen.

I'm at a point where I wish there were a Prince podcast. Like, every week, nothing but Prince. They choose a song for that weeks topic, they talk about the song and its artistry and about Prince. Every week. I'd listen.
There might be one out there. I'll keep an eye out. I stumbled on this one by happenstance.

I have become obsessed with this man unlike any musician. I love music but have never really wanted to know EVERYTHING about a musician before before. My favorites are David Bowie, Esperanza Spalding, and Janelle Monae and I've never wanted to know everything about them to the point of obsession. Also, even though Bowie is (was?) my favorite, I still don't like early Hunky Dory era Bowie much for instance. There's entire eras of Bowie I don't fuck with. But I've listened to about every Prince album now, and I've liked the majority of them.

I love the aforementioned artists like crazy but never to the point where I'm scouting down their past concerts and tours. Something about Prince just is connecting with me in a way a musical artist never has and he's checking off every box. I have watched at least three or four Prince documentaries now. I can't explain it much less understand it. I mean, I got into other older musicians late like the Beatles during the last reprint in the late 2000's. I'll go from album and album and listen to them and fall in love but not to the point where I'm at now with Prince. Right now I'm going in every album in sequential order, looking at live music, analyzing the lyrics, listening to them over and over and over. Yesterday was Prince, today is Dirty Mind. I've listened to Dirfy Mind about six times today. Tomorrow is Controversy. I'm looking forward to watching the Controversy tour at Capitol.

No clue why I'm saying all this. I'm just obsessed and don't know why.

Okay, I've realized one reason Prince resonates with me: soul, rnb, and funk just happen to be my favorite genres. Add in 1999 which for all intents and purposes is an electronic album, and his music is just up my alley. I love guitar solos but I'm not huge on rock. On the other hand, Prince embraces funk rock in the Jimi Hendrix/P-Funk/Sly and Family Stone tradition, so it feels like home. His combination of music styles just hit all the notes for me.

On top of that I feel his lyricism is among the best ever in pop. Let's take Little Red Corvetfe. What a genius record. "The place where your horses run free" and the horse metaphor is amazing. On top of that, there's the fact he was so fucking sexy and he's generally not my type. When he says he's going to "tame your little red love machine" his delivery is soooo sexy that you actually believe he's going to. Funk has a big history with sexuality but Prince's manner of expressing it in his songs is explicit while still putting effort into I while still remaining classy I guess? He's explicit but it's not a gross skeet skeet skeet kind of explicit. Little Red Corvette being a great example. It'd be so easy to say something like I Want To Make Love To You. Instead, Prince makes the song a metaphor and compares it to a car. It works like The Contest from Seinfeld in a way. We know they're talking about masturbation but somehow not saying the word masturbation forces the writers to be more creative (read: funny) about it. The same works here, and it's a song writing technique that to my knowledge is no longer used. Today's music is far too literal. I could talk about the subject matter in his songs for hours. QCFX2 was right when he said Prince's music is for adults.

I guess it just so happens Prince combines every music style I enjoy and his image and manner of carrying himself appeals to me more than other musicians.

Just God-tier pop.

I'm having trouble listening to the radio after listening to all the Prince I've been listening to. Get Low just came on and I've always thought it was an awful song but now I feel sick and grossed out listening to it. I feel like Prince is ruining music for me.

Have any clips from his final concert?

I heard he did a lot of piano stuff of his classics. Is that it, the video you posted?

I haven't seen any footage. I did come across a recording of, if not the final show, one of them. I didn't want to listen to it at the time and I couldn't download it. When I came back later it was gone. I'm sure it will pop up again.

What strikes me about this final tour and mentions of a P penned memoir is that they both describe a P that was intentionally focusing on the past, which is a stark contrast to his stated feelings on doing so. That and the reports of him getting in touch with past members of the band lead me to believe that P new the end was near. Which makes me incredibly sad.

The show I linked above is one of the only shows I can watch all the way through. (Funny thing about that show is watching Seal butcher the lyrics to Mountains and P thanking him and restarting the song after he left.) All the 80's shows are in horrible quality and honestly I don't fetishize his 80s era as much as most P fans, despite stanning hard since 1999. I much prefer the 90s up to the mid 00s for his emphasis on Real Music™ and virtuoso musicianship.

If you get a chance I'd recommend looking up the 2009 Montreaux Jazz show(s). His reworking of several old song such as Little Red Corvette is just godly.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/n...-doctor-fink-tributes-tour?utm_source=twitter

"At the end of 1986 there were definitely two albums in the can that never saw the light of day," he says. "It's stuff that was recorded with the group and co-written with the group, just a continuation of what we were doing after the Parade album and before Prince made the decision to disband the group at that point." Fink adds that the Revolution members have made "an open offer to Prince's family to put those out as soon as possible."

"The fans have been extremely grateful and appreciative to be able to come out and hear the music performed like it was back in the day, accurately, and having a former member of the Revolution guiding that and making it work in a way that sounds a lot like the records, as close as we can get it," Fink explains. "We're doing our best to emulate the artist. I get fans who say, 'I was unable to see Prince, I was never able to get to a concert' or 'He didn't come to our city' or 'I couldn't afford the tickets' or any number of reasons. So for them it's the next best thing to seeing Prince live...and that's what tribute bands should do."

In the 90's he stopped being super synth heavy and more live instruments. I dug that direction. Some of my favorite music and performances come from then. That and he went from being tangentially urban in the 80s to being overtly urban, which I also dug at the time.
Plus, https://soundcloud.com/robido-de-libido/be-silent is just liiiiiiiiife.

I thought that too listening to his 90's output briefly. Can't wait to get to it.

Seems the best place to ask, but what other bits does he have like Gett off? That track bangs so hard haha, wondering if he has some other B sides like it i havent heard.

Seems the best place to ask, but what other bits does he have like Gett off? That track bangs so hard haha, wondering if he has some other B sides like it i havent heard.

Theres a whole "maxi single" for Gett Off with different versions of the song, they're mostly pretty good. My fave among them being "Violet the Organ Grinder" and "Clockin the Jizz." The "Exodus" NPG album bangs pretty hard too.

As for B sides:
"Erotic City"
"Shockadelica"
"Irresistible Bitch"
"Scarlet Pussy"
"17 Days"

The more I've been listening to Prince since he passed the more I've become a fan of GettOff. I didn't like that song so much when I was younger, maybe I'm a little more nostalgic for that early 90s pop/r&b sound now.

Ekdrm2d1

Why does a non-injured person need an opiate that's 100 times stronger than morphine?

Wild. Couldn't imagine what the high is like. Your whole body feels like a cloud?

FyreWulff

Why does a non-injured person need an opiate that's 100 times stronger than morphine?

Wild. Couldn't imagine what the high is like. Your whole body feels like a cloud?

When you're addicted to opiates you need to take larger and larger amounts to get to the same high as your first time. It's why, as a tangent, heroin addiction is so dangerous and kills so often via overdose.

Also your next highs are never as good as the first one or the ones that came after,

Seriously one of the worst fucking things to get addicted to.

If someone finds you in time with a narcan injector, they can save you from an opiate overdose. It makes the injected person feel like they're about to die, but it will save their life. Unfortunately, some states are still making it difficult for people to do this.

edit: and in the case of immense pain "high" can be used interchangeably with "pain relief"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom