• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I just love how the US has a bunch of Euro hot hatches. The Fiat 500 Abarth, Ford Focus ST and Fiesta ST, new Mini Cooper S, new GTI... I can't complain. My next car is going to be one of those, currently leaning towards the Focus ST...

I just love how the US has a bunch of Euro hot hatches. The Fiat 500 Abarth, Ford Focus ST and Fiesta ST, new Mini Cooper S, new GTI... I can't complain. My next car is going to be one of those, currently leaning towards the Focus ST...

Just make sure to test drive everything in your price range. I would stay away from the Mini though. NoLoveForFailWheelDrive steered me away from them when I was looking for a car, and I am still grateful for that.

Did you find someone/someplace to learn to drive a stick?

TylerD

I had totally forgotten about the BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupe concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i65X7-2r4Uw

could be a great competitor to the S-Class Coupe.

Future 8 series?

My bimmer and I survived the ski trip. Saw my traction control light a couple of times and I did get into a slide braking downhill into a left hairpin going to Telluride but I recovered very quickly and did not hit the large snow bank. Once I got parked I didnt have to move my car until it was time to leave. Tires were more than up to the job.

The drive home on the road that was sketchy going in (they got 12 inches the night before) was pretty much perfect. Got to enjoy mountain driving and got 33.8 MPG from Telluride to where I filled up in New Mexico (494 miles with 70 till empty).

The oil burning\leaking from valve cover gasket and oil filter housing is pretty bad though and I went through a liter in 1300 miles. Still need to fix those leaks.

lem0n

Abarth. Coolest of the lot. Ford Focus is great too, but not nearly as fun as the others. GTI is the best car, but lacks real excitement. Fiesta ST is a great choice, on par with the Abarth. Opinions and all that but I know people that own them(except ST Fiesta) and have been in all of them(again, except ST)

lem0n

Keep the E30. Way cooler than a Miata. Just shove an M50 in there and you'll be good.

Heh, actually the plan when I first got it was to transplant the head from the "I" motor to my other E30, with the "eta" motor. 2.7 stroker. Then take the disassembled M20b25 out of the "I" car and do a non vanos M50 swap.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Just make sure to test drive everything in your price range. I would stay away from the Mini though. NoLoveForFailWheelDrive steered me away from them when I was looking for a car, and I am still grateful for that.

Did you find someone/someplace to learn to drive a stick?
Haven't learned stick yet.

Also, there is a new Mini Hardtop coming out very soon with new engines and stuff.

mkenyon

Banned
Haven't learned stick yet.

Also, there is a new Mini Hardtop coming out very soon with new engines and stuff.
You really should. It's amazing. Even if slower than DSG stuff, there's no greater feeling than when you heel-toe into a corner and perfectly match the revs. It's like gibbing 3 players in a row with Railgun headshots in Q3.

rokkerkory

I know, US finally gets real hot hatches like rest of the world!

Even new civic si should be juicy too. 280hp!

Can't wait for new mazdaspeed3!

How are nc miata autos? Friend is interested in a convertible, but doesn't wanna drive stick.

Eh. They aren't terrible. I'll say that. If you've driven any pre-Skyactiv Mazda then it's practically the same. It works, it shifts as you expect it to and manual mode is surprisingly decent for an econobox.

I personally wouldn't buy an auto NC though. It feels too much like an econobox torque converter than a proper auto tranny sports car.

The 500 Abarth was gonna be my next but that new Jeep Renegade has me drooling. 4x4 + manual tranny + cute = awesome.

lem0n

You really should. It's amazing. Even if slower than DSG stuff, there's no greater feeling than when you heel-toe into a corner and perfectly match the revs. It's like gibbing 3 players in a row with Railgun headshots in Q3.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Manual ftw

944s are pieces of shit.

You seem to hate Porsches with as much intensity as Alpha loves Jags, so that comment doesn't really surprise me.

They won several awards, and were lauded for their good handling. I figured I'd throw something else in the ring instead of seeing a page of "Miata" replies to his question.

*Shrug*

ZRccq.gif

lem0n

You seem to hate Porsches with as much intensity as Alpha loves Jags, so that comment doesn't really surprise me.

They won several awards, and were lauded for their good handling. I figured I'd throw something else in the ring instead of seeing a page of "Miata" replies to his question.

*Shrug*

ZRccq.gif

While I enjoy the 944, I always equate them with a hooker. Could be a lot of fun, but at what price.

coldfoot

Banned
Couldn't have said it better myself

Manual ftw

Meh, I'd rather turn on my autoaim hack and watch my guy score 3 back-to-back railgun kills :)
Manual is good if you can afford to have a second car to drive on weekends in sparsely populated roads, other than that, fuck it.

Whats your current car?

a twin turbo MR2 with a giant Katy Perry Vinyl Wrap?

Protein

Banned
I have a major problem with my car.

Nissan Altima 2006. 2.5L 4-cylinder

I recently did a coolant flush and changed the coolant. Now it seems like the car is burning off the coolant at an extreme rate. White smoke (smelling like coolant) comes out of both the exhaust and out of the radiator cap (when open) until the coolant levels are down completely. The car begins to chug as well when I take it for a test drive. I checked the bottom of the car for a leak but nothing.

Could it be a blown head gasket?

bcl0328

I recently did a coolant flush and changed the coolant. Now it seems like the car is burning off the coolant at an extreme rate. White smoke (smelling like coolant) comes out of both the exhaust and out of the radiator cap (when open) until the coolant levels are down completely. The car begins to chug as well when I take it for a test drive. I checked the bottom of the car for a leak but nothing.

do a leak down test.

Flo_Evans

If it is constantly eating coolant something is seriously wrong. Did you pour cold coolant/flush in the steaming hot engine? This can warp the head. Sometimes those flush products can eat away an already weak gasket causing a leak. Not as serious but still something that needs to be fixed NOW.

You should really have it towed to a mechanic that can properly diagnose and fix it (blown/leaking gasket) or tell you its a lost cause (warped head/block). Do not continue to drive it or you WILL damage the engine.

The chassis design/gearbox are fine, its that 4 cylinder that's such a giant POS. Swap in a good motor and it would be fine, but at that price point your better off with something else.

ShowDog

Did you bleed the air out of the system a few times after you changed the coolant? You could have pockets of air in there screwing everything up.

And on to the new thread.

$200

Banned
Guys I just bought my first car and need some help picking an insurance (Washington, US).

The thing is I drive very little, take buses to and from work most of the time and half of the time I will be driving a company car (already insuranced) instead of my own. So I'm looking for some kind of deal that suits people who only drive 1~2 hours a week.

Any suggestion?

Car model is Honda Insight 2010, mileage at around 50k.

mkenyon

Banned
Guys I just bought my first car and need some help picking an insurance (Washington, US).

The thing is I drive very little, take buses to and from work most of the time and half of the time I will be driving a company car (already insuranced) instead of my own. So I'm looking for some kind of deal that suits people who only drive 1~2 hours a week.

Any suggestion?

Hello Pac NW pal. I'm in Thurston, outside of Oly.

Any chance you can get USAA insurance? Any mom/dad/grandfather in the military?

I've heard good things about Pemco. A big part of having good insurance is having an agent who busts their ass for you though.

Any suggestion?

we are in OT2 now (it was a great achievement for us)

go here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783345&highlight=

Nuklear

Banned
I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to price haggling and I'm looking at this Challenger and I'm not sure what my initial offer should be. The price on it I think is fair but it's a brand new car and from what I read you should never pay whatever they are asking for.

Here's a link to the car: New 2014 Dodge Challenger SXT For Sale in Roanoke IL | 2C3CDYAG8EH184462

I was looking at used ones at first but the price difference between new and use isn't that much so I might as well go with a new car.

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to price haggling and I'm looking at this Challenger and I'm not sure what my initial offer should be. The price on it I think is fair but it's a brand new car and from what I read you should never pay whatever they are asking for.

Here's a link to the car: New 2014 Dodge Challenger SXT For Sale in Roanoke IL | 2C3CDYAG8EH184462

I was looking at used ones at first but the price difference between new and use isn't that much so I might as well go with a new car.

Look up the details on truecar.com. It will give you pricing details (but don't use them to buy the car. The dealer always will give you a better price).

For your zip code and for those options (SXT + Super Sport Group), that seems to be the average price paid. Not a brilliant deal but you aren't being fleeced either.

There also seem to be some Chrysler cashback promos this month in your zip code, so you can ask if that is on top of their discount or if that has already been included.

PseudoKirby mentioned, pop over to the new thread.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783345

Someone should PM a mod to get this thread locked.

Exokell

Banned
Got my 2012 BMW 328i. Going from a piece of shit 07 hyundai tiburon to 328i... its just something else. Fucking love how it drives and that engine. Holy Shit. I'm never going back. The car and that auto insurance with it is so expensive though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom