• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
New 240SX/Silvia when? Ever?
There was that Nissan 510 concept:

ku-xlarge.jpg

Nissan-IDx.jpg

Smokey

Smokey must have opened YNAB when he saw this post.

What's it gonna be? M4 or C7?

:x

Time to start crunching for the m3/m4

I already got an estimate for my c7 when I stopped by the dealership a few months ago.

Paying for my honeymoon in the next few days. I physically twitch thinking that money as down payment + my 335i can get me in a c7... now

;_;

Yes and it is now up for sale for top money at the dealership.

I'm surprised they didn't rob you more than 2.5k!

What's the replacement gonna be? Out of the current small set of hatches, I'd have picked the Fiesta too!

EDIT: Have just seen the entry price for the Fiesta, how about a second hand GT86? :D

Flo_Evans

Finally got my hands on a BRZ.

Damn, they really nailed it with this car. I dare say it felt more like a sports car than the 2-series... if the BMW is a luxury radar guided missile the BRZ is an finely balanced arrow. I would def prefer it over the 228i the M235 is in a whole other class I think.

I still need to track down a WRX, it still makes the most sense on paper as far as speed/$ and practicality go but I think it may lack the feel of a FR coupe.

THE:MILKMAN

I'm surprised they didn't rob you more than 2.5k!

What's the replacement gonna be? Out of the current small set of hatches, I'd have picked the Fiesta too!

EDIT: Have just seen the entry price for the Fiesta, how about a second hand GT86? :D

Before it came out the car mags claimed that it'd be sub 20k and was the car I was going to get, but it turned out to be 25k plus and the ST was the next best thing...

Currently I have a little cheap city car to get me work and honestly would be happy with a sport version with around twice the power.

psylah

They'd occupy the same space though. I'd imagine if some 510 is in the works, then they wouldn't be making a Silvia.

Sure, if you're thinking like a business analyst who needs to fill market segments, but I'm looking for Nissan to make a handsome light RWD coupe with a fairly long wheelbase with 4 cylinders and a turbo.

The 510 is a nice try, but it has the proportions of a clown car.

So I'll reiterate:
New 240SX/Silvia when?

TylerD

why do people have foglights on during not foggy days?

Because my car is dark blue and I like people to be able to see me better. Don't ask me why I don't just run my xenon instead!

I like fog lights

This weekend I am going to get to see what my Conti ExtremeContact DWS can do in proper snow as I attempt to make it to Telluride, CO. I am sacrificing some dry performance for snow traversal ability.

Better not let me down tires!

5ski-telluride-see-forever.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Contrary to what you may think, xenons are poor in foggy situations and should not be used solely. You still need a light that is low mounted and has a low kelvin rating that can cut through the dense moisture. High kelvin output of a xenon light (4300-5000K) causes your lights to reflect against the moisture, preventing you from seeing any better - in many cases actually seeing worse.

That is why fog lights are yellow on all rally and race cars, because yellow has a kelvin rating of around 2000-2300K and is most effective for fog, and it doesn't reflect back.

I've determined my choices.

1A - New 2014 Mazda3 - I'll be fine with Sport or Touring model
1B - Used 2012-13 Chevy Cruze 2LT or LTZ
1C - Used 2013-2014 Mustang V6

Wish me luck on this process........

ameratsu

The mechanic I normally use refused to do a wheel bearing on my integra because I sourced the part myself (From an American Honda dealer). They don't want to be liable to replace the part if it's damaged during installation :/

I usually do my own work, but it's cold as fuck out outside and I don't have a garage. Ugh

NoLoveForFailWheelDrive: You've done it now... I've now got a rather expensive box that arrived earlier today. I still need to sort out my AR side of the turbo, and fuel.

Thanks again for the help BTW ;)

So I'll reiterate:
New 240SX/Silvia when?

Hopefully sometime sooner then later. I'd be down to buy one. Till then, I'll just keep building the old chassis.

No Love

Banned
NoLoveForFailWheelDrive: You've done it now... I've now got a rather expensive box that arrived earlier today. I still need to sort out my AR side of the turbo, and fuel.

Thanks again for the help BTW ;)

Muahahaha. No problem! What did you end up getting? GTX35? Hah. I'm thinking bout grabbing my friend's Evo 9 in the next month or so... and I might end up with a GTX35 myself if the FP Black won't work on the custom manifold my friend is making me. :) Going for 700 whp/600 wtq... should be a fun build.

C is quite different from A and B
The Mustang was in play because power and it got similar to better gas mileage than my 2004 Hyundai Accent with 110k miles on it.

Got a dealer to give me 3k for the Accent. Got a certified 2LT 2014 Cruze to 15,550 and I bit.

Bought my first car. Can't believe it.

AlphaSnake

The Mustang was in play because power and it got similar to better gas mileage than my 2004 Hyundai Accent with 110k miles on it.

Got a dealer to give me 3k for the Accent. Got a certified 2LT 2014 Cruze to 15,550 and I bit.

Bought my first car. Can't believe it.

Congrats!

BTW: What happened yesterday in Metro West? I saw tons of cops swarming into the area around 12PM when I was on Conroy. And then again around 4PM when I was on Kirkman.

Congrats!

BTW: What happened yesterday in Metro West? I saw tons of cops swarming into the area around 12PM when I was on Conroy. And then again around 4PM when I was on Kirkman.

No clue. I was at Universal all day. I'll post pics of the car soon. And funny thing, the Universal parking garages were shut down for ahile due to a suspicious package. Luckily I was gone before any of that happened. One of my friends were stuck in the garage for well over an hour.

Pics:

AlphaSnake

No clue. I was at Universal all day. I'll post pics of the car soon. And funny thing, the Universal parking garages were shut down for ahile due to a suspicious package. Luckily I was gone before any of that happened. One of my friends were stuck in the garage for well over an hour.

Pics:

Hmm, what time did this happen?

Car looks solid!

No Love

Banned
About to close the deal on an E39 M5 to use as a beater/daily driver...

Details:

One-owner (some older guy in Laguna Hills... he also has a 2011 Boxster Spyder... awesome looking car in person and uber rare)
Silver
132k miles... and still on the original, perfectly working clutch

Price? We settled on $10k. $10k for a clean one owner E39 M5 is a steal.

I told him I might pick it up tomorrow, if I don't have time I'll pick it up in 10 days when he returns from his out of country trip.

Weeeeeeeeee! The best M5 will soon be in my stable.

You know what pisses me off?
No choice of having a light interior color. I will never own a black car, neither inside or out.

Out of curiosity, why not?

I will never have anything other than a black interior going forward. I've had my fill of shades of beige.

About to close the deal on an E39 M5 to use as a beater/daily driver...

Details:

One-owner (some older guy in Laguna Hills... he also has a 2011 Boxster Spyder... awesome looking car in person and uber rare)
Silver
132k miles... and still on the original, perfectly working clutch

Price? We settled on $10k. $10k for a clean one owner E39 M5 is a steal.

I told him I might pick it up tomorrow, if I don't have time I'll pick it up in 10 days when he returns from his out of country trip.

Weeeeeeeeee! The best M5 will soon be in my stable.

Grats! :D I love that car.

coldfoot

Banned
I don't think I need to explain about the exterior :) I don't have time to detail my car every day.
As far as the interior is concerned, it's the same deal, black shows wear/dirt much worse and I don't like being in a cavern when I'm driving. It has to be light and airy.

AlphaSnake

Light interiors show dirt far more than dark interiors...I've had white, tan, brown, red, and black leather and black is by far the color that will always look the cleanest. White and tan stain easy, and leather cracks are extremely noticeable. Red and brown are personal preference, and I like them, but occasionally you may find yourself annoyed with them - also they also show cracks quite apparently. When leather seats crack and wear, they leave dark gray lines and wrinkles, that are almost black in color more so than anything else - so they stand out.

Black requires the least maintenance, it hides general dirt from clothing better than any other color, it also doesn't get discolored because the leather dye isn't as heavy on black leather. Cracks and seat wear also doesn't show on black leather, for the reason mentioned in the first paragraph...so they just end up blending in.

My last three cars (370Z, Jag XF, M56S) have all had black leather after a string of cars that didn't (350Z, 335i Coupe, A6 4.2, FX35). I'll continue getting black leather cars for all the reasons stated.

Speaking of leather, those seats I posed are only "leather-appointed." Which means the surfaces are actually leather while the rest is likely vinyl or something else.

That being said, to avoid cracks, etc., how do you recommend treating the seats? Just standard leather conditioner or something you can find everywhere?

AlphaSnake

Tell that to my dog when she sheds her winter coat.

Well there are always variables.

Most people have brown or black hair...and it naturally falls out and regrows all the time. In my 350Z, which had white leather, I saw my own hairs and the hairs of others all the time. Used to drive me crazy, had to break out wet rags or a vac all the time.

Hahaha.

Muahahaha. No problem! What did you end up getting? GTX35? Hah. I'm thinking bout grabbing my friend's Evo 9 in the next month or so... and I might end up with a GTX35 myself if the FP Black won't work on the custom manifold my friend is making me. :) Going for 700 whp/600 wtq... should be a fun build.

Ah no turbo just yet. That's next on the list (along with fuel).

The large box was my twin scroll manifold and turbo dump arrived. I should stop being lazy and snap a picture.

After talking to you and some others about turbo setups, I just said fuck it, and went with the twin scroll setup. It will cost me more to run, but the gains out weigh the costs associated with it.

No Love

Banned
Speaking of leather, those seats I posed are only "leather-appointed." Which means the surfaces are actually leather while the rest is likely vinyl or something else.

That being said, to avoid cracks, etc., how do you recommend treating the seats? Just standard leather conditioner or something you can find everywhere?

Lexol leather conditioner and moisturizer. You're welcome.

No Love

Banned

I will never have anything other than a black interior going forward. I've had my fill of shades of beige.

Grats! :D I love that car.

srsly

it's tough enough finding clean e39 540's at that price

I know... hell of a deal. Best part is, I know a lady selling an '03 M5 in the next few months that's one owner and mint that I'll probably be able to pick up for $10k too. Might end up giving one to my mom.

AlphaSnake

you can also see dandruff quite easily on black headrests.

Jesus...someone would have to have it baaaaaaad for it to clump up on the headrests. That shit is supposed to be dusty and float away, more than anything else. Not get stuck to a headrest.

Head and Shoulders, people...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom