• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

Nearly 30MPG on a 3.7L 306HP, sports coupe is not awesome...how?

It's not only awesome, but it's also underrated.
For a powerful sports coupe sure, but it's a third more on some of the other cars he is looking at.
I have also seen 34 in a 24 year old pick up :p

ruxtpin

Banned
Woo. New car smell...

BhQJy0fIMAA-tcx.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
For a powerful sports coupe sure, but it's a third more on some of the other cars he is looking at.
I have also seen 34 in a 24 year old pick up :p

I'd rather have 120HP more, and have a more exciting drive, as opposed to better fuel efficiency.

AlphaSnake

That doesn't make 19/29 amazing :p

Who used the word "amazing"? Certainly not me.

In the context of a reasonably powerful car like the Mustang, 30MPG highway is "awesome". Get over it already and stop harping on the subject.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^ Tuning for low end torque can have a huge impact. That's why the Honda VTEC engines do so poorly and the Mazda 3 2.0 in Europe only has 110hp.

In the context of a reasonably powerful car like the Mustang, 30MPG highway is "awesome". Get over it already and stop harping on the subject.

I always add a ":p" when I'm not really serious. That was partly why I changed the subject in the next paragraph, but I apologize if it wasn't clear.

No Love

Banned
That doesn't make 19/29 amazing :p

I looked through the equipment list of the Mazda 3 and found this quite odd. It's as if they want to make the 2.0 to look cheaper.

Um, sure it does. 30+ mpg on highway with RWD + big V6 + 3600 lb car? Come on now... the Mazda 3 weighs like 2800 lbs, has a motor with almost half the displacement and is FWD.

Mustang gets amazing MPG. Period.

cube444

Mazda 3 also gets crazy good gas mileage and feels about 10k more expensive than it really is. Problem is that the hatchback is wildly overpriced and the sedan is a cockblocker aesthetically. If you're married and dead inside, sedan makes much more sense.

Is the rear trunk of the Mazda 3 known as a common spot for rusting? I have seen like 5-6 in my daily driving with insane amounts of rusting there.

Ty4on

Um, sure it does. 30+ mpg on highway with RWD + big V6 + 3600 lb car? Come on now... the Mazda 3 weighs like 2800 lbs, has a motor with almost half the displacement and is FWD.

Mustang gets amazing MPG. Period.
I answered that in my second post. I commented because of the context.

Are fog-lights considered the same as daytime running lights? Or are fog-light actually brighter?
Here they're equel in the day if you run them with parking lights, but they can't be used with low beams making it illegal to use them at night. On a dark road, especially in the rain, they can be quite blinding creating a wall of light.

Strangely enough rear fog lights are nowhere near as cool :p

kharma45

Pictures of the facelifted Ford Focus:

focus-leak02-1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-ford-focus-facelift-leaked-images/med/#photo-2443256/

The interior is much simpler and nicer now. three spoked wheel though.. I hate them.

At least that plethora of buttons that adorned the centre console have disappeared mostly.

why do people have foglights on during not foggy days?

People are stupid.

Same as those who drive around on side lights too.

Flo_Evans

Test drove an M235i this morning.

I shouldn't have done that lol. Now I want one bad. I was almost ready to sign some papers but it was a white auto one. I do have to say as a long time auto hater the transmission in that thing is pretty fucking good.

Yeah its pretty heavy but it moves that weight around very well.

Wonder how much insurance would be for the thing...

coldfoot

Banned
Am I the only one who'd prefer the 228i with the Msport over the M235i?
Cheaper, more reliable engine, lower weight (3260lbs for manual vs 3500+lbs) and much better weight distribution, it's a turbo so you can boost it to 300hp, etc...Only missing option is a limited slip diff, which I'm sure can be found aftermarket.

It just looks like it'd be more fun to drive.

Flo_Evans

Am I the only one who'd prefer the 228i with the Msport over the M235i?
Cheaper, more reliable engine, lower weight (3260lbs for manual vs 3500+lbs) and much better weight distribution, it's a turbo so you can boost it to 300hp, etc...Only missing option is a limited slip diff, which I'm sure can be found aftermarket.

It just looks like it'd be more fun to drive.

Its really not that much cheaper though, and I'm not really sure how much the m-sport adaptable suspension adds in weight...

I drove the 228 and 235 back to back and it was night and day, I think you are pretty optimistic to think you can easily get another 60hp out of the motor easily without sacrificing torque or lag. How much in aftermarket parts do you think that will cost? You will easily be over the price of the 235 and have a high strung 4 cylinder... congrats it weighs 250lbs less.

rokkerkory

Test drove an M235i this morning.

I shouldn't have done that lol. Now I want one bad. I was almost ready to sign some papers but it was a white auto one. I do have to say as a long time auto hater the transmission in that thing is pretty fucking good.

Yeah its pretty heavy but it moves that weight around very well.

Wonder how much insurance would be for the thing...

lovely car it seems, i'd get the MT tho!

coldfoot

Banned
Its really not that much cheaper though, and I'm not really sure how much the m-sport adaptable suspension adds in weight...

I drove the 228 and 235 back to back and it was night and day, I think you are pretty optimistic to think you can easily get another 60hp out of the motor easily without sacrificing torque or lag. How much in aftermarket parts do you think that will cost? You will easily be over the price of the 235 and have a high strung 4 cylinder... congrats it weighs 250lbs less.

Similarly equipped it's 5-6K cheaper and you can get a $400 chip that will give you 40hp + 60tq. Spend a few more hundred bucks for an intake/exhaust and you're at 300hp.

Handling will be much better due to much better weight distribution, true 50/50 instead of 54/46 like the M235i. It's easy enough to add power, not so easy to remove weight and improve handling without sacrificing daily drivability.

Flo_Evans

Similarly equipped it's 5-6K cheaper and you can get a $400 chip that will give you 40hp + 60tq. Spend a few more hundred bucks for an intake/exhaust and you're at 300hp.

Handling will be much better due to much better weight distribution, true 50/50 instead of 54/46 like the M235i. It's easy enough to add power, not so easy to remove weight and improve handling without sacrificing daily drivability.

I think you are in lala land dude. The car just came out, there are no chips or intakes and shit for it yet.

Anything you can cheaply and easily do to the 228 you could also do to the 235 and get far more out of it.

BTW the weight distribution is actually 51.9/48.1% on the M235i, I HIGHLY doubt you could actually feel the difference in real driving. You can certainly feel that 4 cylinder struggle though.

coldfoot

Banned
I think you are in lala land dude. The car just came out, there are no chips or intakes and shit for it yet.
It's the same engine used in a billion other BMW's.

Anything you can cheaply and easily do to the 228 you could also do to the 235 and get far more out of it.
That only applies if you're talking about engine power. How are you going to make up for that 250lb extra when it comes to driving feel and handling, nimbleness?

BTW the weight distribution is actually 51.9/48.1% on the M235i, I HIGHLY doubt you could actually feel the difference in real driving. You can certainly feel that 4 cylinder struggle though.
Why buy the 235i at all when you can get the 435i, it's only 75lbs heavier. The 228i fills a niche of a semi-lightweight modern BMW...

AlphaSnake

He's right. You're wrong regarding the mods.

This is the same engine and transmission as found in the X1, X3, 328i, 428i, and 528i. There's nothing new about the 2-series besides its body work. All of the tunes are already compatible with it. I'm sure even the intakes will compatible.

I'd still get the M235i, though.

Flo_Evans

It's the same engine used in a billion other BMW's.

That only applies if you're talking about engine power. How are you going to make up for that 250lb extra when it comes to driving feel and handling, nimbleness?

Why buy the 235i at all when you can get the 435i, it's only 75lbs heavier. The 228i fills a niche of a semi-lightweight modern BMW...

Because you can't even get the M sport engine in the 4 series??!!?! Because the M235 is faster with better suspension for way cheaper? Start adding in all the other stuff the M235 has (better brakes, adaptive steering) and you are looking at 55k real fast.

250lbs is a passenger and some luggage, it is not a huge deal compared to the extra power and suspension of the M235. If the 228 was 500-1000lbs lighter that would be huge.

Flo_Evans

He's right. You're wrong regarding the mods.

This is the same engine and transmission as found in the X1, X3, 328i, 428i, and 528i. There's nothing new about the 2-series besides its body work. All of the tunes are already compatible with it. I'm sure even the intakes will compatible.

I'd still get the M235i, though.

OK even if there is mods (I don't see any?) for it you can't deny the 6 cylinder is a much better base than the 4 cylinder?

gdt

All that talk is going way over my head lol. I really need to learn a bit more about what goes on under the hood.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
All the fun of a super sedan with enough room for a pack of Border Collies. That's all I want.

If they made an S variant of the AllRoad...

That said, the current Allroad is the best looking white car I have ever seen. I hate all white cars, except Spy Who Loves Me esprit. And current Allroad.

coldfoot

Banned
OK even if there is mods (I don't see any?) for it you can't deny the 6 cylinder is a much better base than the 4 cylinder?
Sure but I wouldn't buy a BMW if the most important thing in a car for me was straight line performance. The M3 didn't become a legend because of its straight line performance, the best m3 according to many only has 4 cylinders and isn't even that fast. That's the BMW soul that's been lost with the new generation and I see the 228i a step in the right direction to get close to that than a front heavy overweight 6 cylinder.

I hope the next M2 is based on the N20 engine, tuned to 350hp or so and even lighter than the 228i.

Flo_Evans

That was 25 years ago man. Look I understand the nostalgia for the e30 series BMW, my parents had a e30 318. That car blew my mind as a teen (and it was 10 years old by the time I got to dive it).

But good news, if you want a 2700lb 200hp car you can get a BRZ. I'm going to test drive one today. Even though I could afford a 44k car it seems excessive for 99% of my usage, driving 10 miles each way to work everyday.

THE:MILKMAN

Killdozer asked me to update the situation with my faulty Fiesta ST. In the end after getting no help from two different dealers, and ultimately Ford too, I sold the car back to the supplying dealer (at a loss of course).

After putting down £5500 in part-ex and cash I only got £2500 back after six months.

Terrible customer service from all involved. Probably won't buy another Ford again because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom