• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
You said new WRX and STi. I get why people would be upset that the new powerplant isn't yet in the STi, but the WRX is completely different.

*edit*

Just looking through some of the reviews, seems there have been a number of changes.

ack to that 0-60 time for a moment – the STI's number is only 0.3 seconds quicker than the normal WRX, and a lot of that comes down to exactly how the power is delivered. In the WRX, the 258 pound-feet of twist comes on as low as 2,000 rpm, while the STI doesn't fully deliver its thrust until higher in the rev range. The winged sedan suffers a bit more in the way of turbo lag compared to its less-powerful sibling, but Subaru has retuned the throttle response to at least make the experience seem a bit punchier. The company's engineers say that, at 25 percent throttle input, the STI delivers more response than a 50-percent input in the old car. In other words, there's more oomph available closer to initial tip-in, but the experience doesn't come off as sudden or non-linear. The throttle is easy to modulate, and the STI feels properly quick, with a greater sense of urgency than the normal WRX. Subaru's SI-Drive system is also part of the STI package, with Intelligent, Sport, and Sport Sharp modes that alter throttle mapping depending on the driver's deman

In addition to the new active torque vectoring all-wheel-drive system, the STI gets another bit of increased electronic wizardry for 2015 – the Multi-Mode Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD). Upon startup, the STI defaults to a standard 41/59 front/rear torque split, with three different driving modes that alter the behavior of the system as necessary. Full Auto mode is what you'll want for the vast majority of daily driving – even spirited runs. But on the track, Auto - (minus) was our best friend, making less use of the center differential to hold more torque toward the rear more frequently. On the opposite end, Auto + tightens the limited-slip differential, for better control in the wet, or on gravel/snow. There's even a full manual mode of the DCCD, like the previous STI, with different center diff locking levels up to a straight-up 50/50 split. Combine that with traction control that offers a Trac mode that allows the wheels to slip a bit (the system can be turned off, too), and the STI's track attack prowess is better than ever.

Between that, a new body, new interior, new suspension, seems like it'd be quite a different experience.

*super late edit*

I do wish Subaru had a hotted up version of the DI 2.0 from the WRX in here instead of the old 2.5 flat four, since the new motor is a sweetheart and the old mill is, well, it's basically 10 years old. That doesn't mean it isn't good and doesn't sound great, with a more distinct warble than the new one, it's just time to move to the next development. But the suspension tuning, steering, handling, transmission, seats, and outward appearance are all noticeable and welcome improvements compared to the already excellent new WRX

Just went to the Toronto autoshow yesterday. To my surprise, found out that the ATS coupe was recently announced (totally out of the loop). Well, I think in the absence of them announcing a CTS coupe replacement, I think that will do just fine.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
After watching that video and the 918 video...there's no question the P1 is a better and faster car. Jeremy Clarkson isn't losing that bet.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
GAF, I have a minor car issue, and I figured this would be the best thread to ask in instead of starting a new thread for one issue...

So, I've got a Hyundai Sonata 2010. Was working fine today, but tonight when I left work, I had issues with it.

When I put the key in and turned it, nothing happened...like it was completely dark, nothing turned on, I was pretty worried. I hadn't left the lights on, and I had just gotten a new battery literally a month ago.

Next time I put the key in, it worked, however I noticed it had "reset"...my radio stations for example switched back to the default, and the odometer switched to "Trip Mode". It was very weird.

The car seemed to be driving alright, and when I got home I switched it off, and then got it to turn on again without any issues, but I'm worried this is the tip of a much larger problem that will occur in the future.

From what I've googled, it may be an alternator? Also, could it perhaps be due to the weather? My car's been buried under a lot of snow this week, and then the weather quickly switched to like 60 degrees and everything melted, could water be damaging the inside?

GAF, I have a minor car issue, and I figured this would be the best thread to ask in instead of starting a new thread for one issue...

So, I've got a Hyundai Sonata 2010. Was working fine today, but tonight when I left work, I had issues with it.

When I put the key in and turned it, nothing happened...like it was completely dark, nothing turned on, I was pretty worried. I hadn't left the lights on, and I had just gotten a new battery literally a month ago.

Next time I put the key in, it worked, however I noticed it had "reset"...my radio stations for example switched back to the default, and the odometer switched to "Trip Mode". It was very weird.

The car seemed to be driving alright, and when I got home I switched it off, and then got it to turn on again without any issues, but I'm worried this is the tip of a much larger problem that will occur in the future.

From what I've googled, it may be an alternator? Also, could it perhaps be due to the weather? My car's been buried under a lot of snow this week, and then the weather quickly switched to like 60 degrees and everything melted, could water be damaging the inside?

Check if the connectors to the battery are corroded? Sounds like it was temporarily disconnected, resetting the electronics.

I had to go and pick the worst Michigan winter in recent years to move from FWD to RWD. We had something called a thundersnow today. Completely clear roads to 1 inch of snow in 15 minutes. Freezing rain and high winds forecast for tonight.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but couldn't the same be said for the EVO? Weren't older evos (4-6) also faster than cedia based evos?

its all the same in the end. both Mitsubishi and Subaru are at the limits for turbo 4's within economical range.

they really need to drop an EZ30R in an STi and turbocharge that... to help with all that extra weight.

gdt

How much would it cost to get an aftermarket bumper painted? Just the front bumper which I wanna change out. It'd come ready to paint.

Plus I'd have to order the bmw paint, of course.

Radec

Bmw i8 spotted in South Africa, a friend of mine sent me these from joburg

I think its hot but I still wish they'd stick a 4.4 in that thing

So these blue lights are LEDs ?

bkg_home7.jpg

J-Rzez

Thinking about dumping the evo and picking up a 135i.

Just kinda bored of the evo tbh.

I'm bored of mine as well. Bought it new in 04, only have 65k miles on it.

I was entertaining the new WRX (Not STI) because it supposedly almost feels like an Evo 7/8/9, just with a better, more modern interior, and more modern engine. Looks grew on me. I wouldn't touch that STI though. It would have to completely blow away the handling of the WRX to warrant it's $8000 price difference. Which it won't. The damn thing still has that problematic engine in it because Subaru wanted to clear their warehouse of those better off used as boat anchors motors.

And, this winter reminded me why I love my AWD, most fun, and best year round A-B cars around... Though I'm still keeping an eye on the new Mustang. I have feels it's going to shock a lot of people with what it can do on the track for the money.

So I'm beginning the process of replacing my car. Since 2008 I have had a 2004 Hyundai Accent I got in college. It's had some issues that I guess are consistent with a car now at 107k miles. But it is becoming increasingly difficult putting more money into it. With my new job as of last year, I depend on cars and reliability. My commute is long.... About 35 miles one way. I sometimes have to travel for work, although mostly if it planned I just get a rental.

No breakdowns at all but I feel the clock ticking. I am also increasingly wary of driving on the highway as the weeks go by. So.... Enter car shopping.

I'm looking at a few options. Because I rent so often, I have had a good opportunity to test different vehicles for extended periods. I especially enjoyed the Chevy Cruze and Mustang. Mustang is funny because it actually gets better gas mileage than my current Hyundai on the highway. Probably 80-90% of my driving is on the highway. I would also like some pop and power in acceleration to sometimes navigate around shit drivers.

I'm also considering the 2014 Mazda3. I haven't driven one but I did like the CX5. Hoping it would be a similar experience. I'm open to used but it would have to be the right of circumstances. For instance since the Mustang is getting a major platform change next year, I don't see the point of buying a new 2014. Cruze has been similar for a couple years now and is also due for a platform change, so there are a lot of used options there. Mazda3 just went through a big change and I would want one new. Other important information is that my credit is.... Challenged to say the least. Unfortunate reality, but that's the reality.

What are your opinions of some of these cars? Mazda3, V6 Mustang, Cruze? Also would maybe consider a Forte or similar. I think I'll give Hyundai a rest even though I'm sure they have improved since 2004.

asdad123

Just ordered a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Lux II package and Navigation for $39,750. MSRP was 43,590 (Dealer Invoice is 41,492 so I got about so I feel I did pretty well).

They also gave me more than I thought I would get on my trade in. They gave me 8100, when I thought I wouldnt get over 7500 since the car was in an accident a couple years ago.

Pictures to come.... in six weeks :(

rokkerkory

Just ordered a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Lux II package and Navigation for $39,750. MSRP was 43,590 (Dealer Invoice is 41,492 so I got about so I feel I did pretty well).

They also gave me more than I thought I would get on my trade in. They gave me 8100, when I thought I wouldnt get over 7500 since the car was in an accident a couple years ago.

Pictures to come.... in six weeks :(

wow sounds like a great deal....

asdad123

wow sounds like a great deal....

I think it was atleast, the lowest I've seen them sell for is 7% under invoice for a group buy in DC. I was actually going to drive there and buy from there but I didn't want them to kill me on the trade in and low ball me after a 4 hour drive.

My price was almost 5% below invoice and according the truecar, the average sale price for this car was around $41,000. Also helps that the dealer is right down the road.

AlphaSnake

So I'm beginning the process of replacing my car. Since 2008 I have had a 2004 Hyundai Accent I got in college. It's had some issues that I guess are consistent with a car now at 107k miles. But it is becoming increasingly difficult putting more money into it. With my new job as of last year, I depend on cars and reliability. My commute is long.... About 35 miles one way. I sometimes have to travel for work, although mostly if it planned I just get a rental.

No breakdowns at all but I feel the clock ticking. I am also increasingly wary of driving on the highway as the weeks go by. So.... Enter car shopping.

I'm looking at a few options. Because I rent so often, I have had a good opportunity to test different vehicles for extended periods. I especially enjoyed the Chevy Cruze and Mustang. Mustang is funny because it actually gets better gas mileage than my current Hyundai on the highway. Probably 80-90% of my driving is on the highway. I would also like some pop and power in acceleration to sometimes navigate around shit drivers.

I'm also considering the 2014 Mazda3. I haven't driven one but I did like the CX5. Hoping it would be a similar experience. I'm open to used but it would have to be the right of circumstances. For instance since the Mustang is getting a major platform change next year, I don't see the point of buying a new 2014. Cruze has been similar for a couple years now and is also due for a platform change, so there are a lot of used options there. Mazda3 just went through a big change and I would want one new. Other important information is that my credit is.... Challenged to say the least. Unfortunate reality, but that's the reality.

What are your opinions of some of these cars? Mazda3, V6 Mustang, Cruze? Also would maybe consider a Forte or similar. I think I'll give Hyundai a rest even though I'm sure they have improved since 2004.

Where do you live? Does it snow? If it does, no Mustang.

My choice would be a Mustang, but I have a bias towards the sportiest car...it's also totally different than a Mazda3 or Cruze, because it's a 2-door, RWD car.

If you liked the CX5, you'll love the Mazda3 - it's a lighter, better balanced, better handling, and considerably quicker car, based on a similar platform. IMO, I'd get a Mazda3 with the 2.5L 185HP engine.

ascii42

Considering the miles you'll be putting on the car, seems like the Mazda3 or Cruze would be smarter than getting a Mustang, but obviously financially that's your call. I can't really talk, since I had a similar commute in high school and drove a Cadillac that got 17 or 18 mpg on the highway, though gas cost half as much then as it does now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

My choice would be a Mustang, but I have a bias towards the sportiest car...it's also totally different than a Mazda3 or Cruze, because it's a 2-door, RWD car.

If you liked the CX5, you'll love the Mazda3 - it's a lighter, better balanced, better handling, and considerably quicker car, based on a similar platform. IMO, I'd get a Mazda3 with the 2.5L 185HP engine.

Mazda 3 also gets crazy good gas mileage and feels about 10k more expensive than it really is. Problem is that the hatchback is wildly overpriced and the sedan is a cockblocker aesthetically. If you're married and dead inside, sedan makes much more sense.

No snow. Just sun and rain here in the central Florida area. Just expense wise for the Mazda, I'd stick with the base engine, though, and instead opt for the technology package. Good to know that the Mazda3 shares a lot and improves upon the CX5. I had the Cruze for like a week and thought that was really fun to drive too.

Considering the miles you'll be putting on the car, seems like the Mazda3 or Cruze would be smarter than getting a Mustang, but obviously financially that's your call. I can't really talk, since I had a similar commute in high school and drove a Cadillac that got 17 or 18 mpg on the highway, though gas cost half as much then as it does now.
Yeah just pure gas mileage wise, the Cruze and 3 are clear and above. Mustang enters only because I want some power even if it is just the V6, and I still get slightly better highway mileage than my current Hyundai. 29-30 mpg in actual use isn't bad at all. And especially for the 2013, they look damn nice. Just a bit wary because of the new platform for 2015.

Mazda 3 also gets crazy good gas mileage and feels about 10k more expensive than it really is. Problem is that the hatchback is wildly overpriced and the sedan is a cockblocker aesthetically. If you're married and dead inside, sedan makes much more sense.
Haha I'd go for the sedan. Not really a hatchback person although I guess it would be more functional. I'm basically married lol, but I actually think the new 2014 design is really nice.

I actually think aesthetically, it's Mustang first, then Mazda3, then in a clear third, the Cruze.

Ash_69

I love my car but fuck me, the servicing and repairs (which were partly due to my own ignorance) are beginning to piss me off.

Just had the steady amber malfunction indicator light up on the dash board. I know where are plenty of current or previous 350z owners on here, any advice on whether it's safe to do the manual diagnosis (pedal dance) and ecu reset? Any potential pitfalls?

I only plan on doing the diagnosis for my own knowledge so when I do take it in next week, they don't try and charge me for a repair that's not needed.

asdad123

Anyone have a clear bra on their car? Looks like the ones people recommend the most are Xpel and 3M.

Any recomendations? And whats a reasonable install price for the bumper/some hood? Im located in North Jersey

I love my car but fuck me, the servicing and repairs (which were partly due to my own ignorance) are beginning to piss me off.

Just had the steady amber malfunction indicator light up on the dash board. I know where are plenty of current or previous 350z owners on here, any advice on whether it's safe to do the manual diagnosis (pedal dance) and ecu reset? Any potential pitfalls?

I only plan on doing the diagnosis for my own knowledge so when I do take it in next week, they don't try and charge me for a repair that's not needed.

Pedal dance? What? Are you talking about a CEL or does the 350Z have some sort of other indicator light?

Go to an autozone and ask them to read the CEL codes, if that's all it is. They do it for free.

AlphaSnake

No snow. Just sun and rain here in the central Florida area. Just expense wise for the Mazda, I'd stick with the base engine, though, and instead opt for the technology package. Good to know that the Mazda3 shares a lot and improves upon the CX5. I had the Cruze for like a week and thought that was really fun to drive too.

Yeah just pure gas mileage wise, the Cruze and 3 are clear and above. Mustang enters only because I want some power even if it is just the V6, and I still get slightly better highway mileage than my current Hyundai. 29-30 mpg in actual use isn't bad at all. And especially for the 2013, they look damn nice. Just a bit wary because of the new platform for 2015.

Haha I'd go for the sedan. Not really a hatchback person although I guess it would be more functional. I'm basically married lol, but I actually think the new 2014 design is really nice.

I actually think aesthetically, it's Mustang first, then Mazda3, then in a clear third, the Cruze.

Oh shit, dude. Yeah, I'm also in central Florida. Bought a house in Windermere. Get the Mustang, man. Since the traffic is fairly light here, you'll never have to worry about poor gas mileage as a result of hectic city traffic. My Jaguar and Infiniti both have ginormous V8s (a 5.0 and a 5.6L) that make over 400HP each. The M56S averages 24MPG...that's astounding for a car that weighs 4000lbs. The Mustang V6 is a pretty fuel efficient car for being a sporty coupe, and you'll easily average 28-30MPG. Trust me.

So get the Mustang and enjoy it.

No potential pitfall of doing a pedal ECU reset. Does the car drive perfectly fine? How many miles on it? It could be an O2 sensor related issues. I believe you're in the UK, right? Find an auto store that has OBD-2 scanners (our US equivalent store is AutoZone), they do the scans for free. It'll tell you the code. Likewise, if you know how to read the flashes once you do the pedal procedure, you can figure out what the code is that way, as well.

someone i know just bought an m235i today.

bBpukgn.jpg

lU11dG6.jpg

Faaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwk. GORGEOUS.

Oh shit, dude. Yeah, I'm also in central Florida. Bought a house in Windermere. Get the Mustang, man. Since the traffic is fairly light here, you'll never have to worry about poor gas mileage as a result of hectic city traffic. My Jaguar and Infiniti both have ginormous V8s (a 5.0 and a 5.6L) that make over 400HP each. The M56S averages 24MPG...that's astounding for a car that weighs 4000lbs. The Mustang V6 is a pretty fuel efficient car for being a sporty coupe, and you'll easily average 28-30MPG. Trust me.

So get the Mustang and enjoy it.

Oh, nice. I'm in the less notorious part of MetroWest lol. And yeah driving wise, I work in Lakeland actually and my job is directly off the highway - so only city traffic is 2 miles on Kirkman to get to I-4, which then is about a 40 mile trek... I'm seeing some premium 2013 V6 models in the 16-17k range. LTZ Cruze at about 15-17k range and the new Mazda3 at around 18-19k for the i Touring trim. I may actually skip the technology package because it does look.... aftermarket. If that's the case I guess I could install an aftermarket HUD cheaper somewhere else.

No Love

Banned
nice. looks sleek and not as big/heavy as a 4 series.

Hahaha, that's what you'd think, right? M235i weighs 3500+ lbs. LOL FAT

Oh, nice. I'm in the less notorious part of MetroWest lol. And yeah driving wise, I work in Lakeland actually and my job is directly off the highway - so only city traffic is 2 miles on Kirkman to get to I-4, which then is about a 40 mile trek... I'm seeing some premium 2013 V6 models in the 16-17k range. LTZ Cruze at about 15-17k range and the new Mazda3 at around 18-19k for the i Touring trim. I may actually skip the technology package because it does look.... aftermarket. If that's the case I guess I could install an aftermarket HUD cheaper somewhere else.

Get the Mustang. It has far more power, awesome MPG, and more fun to drive. Only downside is that it's a Mustang. :\

No Love

Banned
Well.. Shit :x

Yeah. 3200 lbs and I'd be happy but that shit is smaller than an E92 335i and weighs about the same. What's the point?

Just gonna get my E39 M5 this week and forget about new BMW's for a while. They're just not worth it right now. Picking up an Evo 9 after that and building it to 700 whp. After that... Jaguar F Type R or C7 Z06, you will be mine!

AlphaSnake

Fuck, that reminds me...I needed to go to the International Food Club on McLeod today. Balls...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom