• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if reliability is out of the question then the next most important thing would be ease of finding replacement parts. MR2's seem good for that though working on a mid engine seems difficult.

Fun cars, but hard to drive. That car is very prone to snap oversteer. 3SGTE (turbo) were somewhat reliable if i remember. The transmission is bulletproof though. As cool as they sound on paper, I'd probably never want to own one.

J-Rzez

The 3sgte is a good motor. They had some gasket issues due to heat in the mr2 which is why so many ppl i know that had them made sure to get some performance electric fans and scoops installed. They are great handling cars though. Like most mid engines they exhibit snap oversteer as they have a lower theshold time of play while corning but i consider that to be playful personally. If you can find one not beat at a good price go for it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
We just sold my wife's Focus hatchback (2005) and ready to buy something else.

She's sold on the Jetta Sportwagen TDI + 6spd manual. Thoughts before we go for it? Anything I should know about before buying a VW?

I was pretty impressed with it myself. The low-end is a bit weak but once the turbo spools up in the mid range it has a surprisingly decent amount of power for such an engine.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

She's sold on the Jetta Sportwagen TDI + 6spd manual. Thoughts before we go for it? Anything I should know about before buying a VW?

I was pretty impressed with it myself. The low-end is a bit weak but once the turbo spools up in the mid range it has a surprisingly decent amount of power for such an engine.

The electronics in VWs are still rubbish if my anecdotal observance of the rear tail lights is any measure - however, my co-worker, a racing enthusiast with an awesome name, drives a td Golf and she LOVES that shit. I relaize it';s a lot bigger, but I think the Sportwagen looks great and has sweet equipment. The engine is a no-brainer.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid

As much as I want a VW diesel I just can't get over the poor reliability. As long as they offer an extended warranty for free (haggle that shit) I'd get one. I love the styling of the Jetta.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is reliability really still an issue with modern VWs? I've heard that things have improved greatly in the past few years.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

The good thing is that it's 2 years away, which gives me time to buy out the 370Z, I'm probably keeping it for quite a while. It's stick. It's rare. It's holding its value all too well, shockingly. I don't see myself parting with it the same way I did the 350Z. We'll see...

The bad thing is that it's 2 years. I see a 2012 GT-R parked in my neighborhood every day and I want to punch this asshole who parks it on the street with all of the other parallel parkers out there. Anyway, every time I see it...I want it. Bad. Real, real bad.

Alright Autogaf I have a battery light on in my truck. I went under the hood and noticed I had some clipped Voltage regulator wires. Ordered the parts, fixed it...and the battery light is still on in the cab...any ideas?

ameratsu

Any Subaru people in here?

I am going to look at a 2007 Impreza 2.5 Special Edition later. How are the HGs on these? Any other issues I should be aware of?

The good thing is that it's 2 years away, which gives me time to buy out the 370Z, I'm probably keeping it for quite a while. It's stick. It's rare. It's holding its value all too well, shockingly. I don't see myself parting with it the same way I did the 350Z. We'll see...

The bad thing is that it's 2 years. I see a 2012 GT-R parked in my neighborhood every day and I want to punch this asshole who parks it on the street with all of the other parallel parkers out there. Anyway, every time I see it...I want it. Bad. Real, real bad.

And then you'll need to consider the waiting list... The Evoque had a lead time as long as 14 months for some.

Zyzyxxz

I definitely plan on getting my name on that list.

Evoque is such a nice car, pricey for what it is though but I love the fact that it's compact yet spacious inside. It has a small footprint but it looks big from a distance too.

Not to mention it drives nice and gets 30MPG on the highway so not bad for it's class.

AlphaSnake

Evoque is such a nice car, pricey for what it is though but I love the fact that it's compact yet spacious inside. It has a small footprint but it looks big from a distance too.

Not to mention it drives nice and gets 30MPG on the highway so not bad for it's class.

I don't care about the Evoque, dude. LOL

We're talking about the Jag's inevitable wait list.

Parents just signed for one of these bad boys:

49430229.jpg

Getting it delivered this weekend or early next week. GORGEOUS.

AlphaSnake

I live near JLR's main base of op, and I've heard the F-Type on the road camo'd up. I can tell you there is no audio trickery in those PR vids! This thing sounds insane.

Break in, rip off the camo, take pics, and profit!

N-Bomb

So, Autogaf, I need a boost gauge. Electronic. Any of you swear by anything?

I'd prefer to avoid any 'system' gauges that have some kind of expensive control brain. Just a simple sender and quality parts are all I need.

I have a favor to ask of AutoGAF, and if this is not allowed then I will remove this post.

I am on a show called "PassTime" this Wednesday night on SpeedTV. My mother(s), father and family really want to see me, but they don't have the channel. Is there anyone who can record the show convert it to a computer friendly format so I can share it with my family? Again, if this is not allowed here then I will remove this, but I am hoping it will be okay so my family can see me. I would even be willing to pay a little bit for doing all the work. Thanks again for even considering it.

And if anyone wants to watch me look like a tool, be sure to watch PassTime this Wednesday night at 7pm. It was filmed in Milan, Michigan and I am the guy in the "Suck Squish Bang Blow" shirt. You will know who I am because I will look like a freakin midget compared to everyone else on the show.

Hi guys. I have been heavily. Considering a used Porsche Cayman S. I am a little weary of having a MR car and what repair costs could be. Anyone have any input? Thanks all!

Hi guys. I have been heavily. Considering a used Porsche Cayman S. I am a little weary of having a MR car and what repair costs could be. Anyone have any input? Thanks all!

well, you'll be paying Porsche prices for maintenance. Not sure on what the heavy maintenance stuff on Cayman's are, but my friend pays $120 to get his oil changed at the Porsche dealership on his Cayman S.

Pretty irrelevant, but a clutch job on a 964/993/996 Carrera was something like $5k. Timing belt at 100k miles on my friends 968 was $1,100.

Best thing is to probably call up your local Porsche shops/dealers and get a maintenance interval quotes.
I believe there is a Porsche Carrera owner in this thread and he can provide more accurate info.

ascii42

Anyone recommend an SUV for the Miss? I was thinking CRV or Sorento.
In that class, the recently redesigned Ford Escape and the Chevy Equinox are worth looking at.

Of the 4, I've only driven the Equinox and the Sorento. I felt the Equinox is better, but the Sorento is a good bit cheaper.

US News ranks vehicles by class. Here is their compact SUV/crossover list. How did I forget the RAV4?

well, you'll be paying Porsche prices for maintenance. Not sure on what the heavy maintenance stuff on Cayman's are, but my friend pays $120 to get his oil changed at the Porsche dealership on his Cayman S.

Pretty irrelevant, but a clutch job on a 964/993/996 Carrera was something like $5k. Timing belt at 100k miles on my friends 968 was $1,100.

Best thing is to probably call up your local Porsche shops/dealers and get a maintenance interval quotes.
I believe there is a Porsche Carrera owner in this thread and he can provide more accurate info.

Thanks. That is pretty comparable to what my BMW 3 series costs. Hopefully others chime in!

N-Bomb

No offense, but are most of the posters in this thread just people that 'appreciate' cars, or just drive them, but that don't actually ever work on them? Maybe not the place to ask parts advice? :\

No offense, but are most of the posters in this thread just people that 'appreciate' cars, or just drive them, but that don't actually ever work on them? Maybe not the place to ask parts advice? :\

I used to wrench on my own cars and got sick of it to the point where i pay to get my oil changed now. Haven't done any heavy stuff since almost 7 years ago now.

Never had experience of electronic boost gauges, only typical stuff like Defi, Apex, Autometer, etc.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
In that class, the recently redesigned Ford Escape and the Chevy Equinox are worth looking at.

Of the 4, I've only driven the Equinox and the Sorento. I felt the Equinox is better, but the Sorento is a good bit cheaper.

US News ranks vehicles by class. Here is their compact SUV/crossover list. How did I forget the RAV4?

Mazda CX5. Amazing deal. Handles great. Good gas mileage.

ameratsu

I have a mechanical boost gauge and haven't really used electronic ones before. But yeah, this sort of question would be better suited to a focused forum frequented by enthusiasts. It's an entertaining thread though.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
No offense, but are most of the posters in this thread just people that 'appreciate' cars, or just drive them, but that don't actually ever work on them? Maybe not the place to ask parts advice? :

No experience for boost gauges for me. Brakes, suspension, oil and I'm good lol.

Circle T

I used to wrench on my own cars and got sick of it to the point where i pay to get my oil changed now. Haven't done any heavy stuff since almost 7 years ago now.

Same. Many years of modified DSM ownership quickly wore me down on the "enjoyment" of working on my own car. >:[

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
2010 Audi S4 Prestige: $46,997

Miles: 15K
Color: Ibis White | Black interior
Transmission: Manual

HRMMMMMMM. And it's Audi CPO.

Too bad I can't get it right now. Too bad. I'm sure I could talk it down to $45k because of the model year, too.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm young and grew up in apartments, so not really tools to do major work. My dad's best friend growing up had an auto shop which I spent a lot of time in, but that was when i was <13 years so didn't really pick up much.

The most work I've done was helping a friend with his 2002 putting on a new exhaust and a few other things. I want to learn more, but I have nothing of worth. I'm the worst.

reilo

A4 is being facelifted for 2013 anyways...

I know. The 2013s are supposed to arrive within the next couple of months. More reasons to talk that puppy down, but I doubt it'll last that long on the lot.

But I still want a S5 more.

coldfoot

Banned
I know. The 2013s are supposed to arrive within the next couple of months. More reasons to talk that puppy down, but I doubt it'll last that long on the lot.

But I still want a S5 more.

Black interiors suck as well, especially on a white car...
Silver/black is a decent combo, but overall I avoid buying cars with black exteriors (will never be clean) and black interiors (claustrophobic/shows dust)

reilo

My Speed6 has a black interior, and I perfectly fine with it. What's wrong with them? I would never ever ever ever ever buy beige.

Silver/black is a decent combo, but overall I avoid buying cars with black exteriors (will never be clean) and black interiors (claustrophobic/shows dust)

Dusting a car down every couple of weeks is not a big deal to me. Fuck beige/brown.

AlphaSnake

Black interiors are claustrophobic and show dust? The fug?

Both my 370Z and Audi A6 have black interiors - both look minty clean. Every car I've ever owned, or had in my family, never had dusty seats. I have no idea what this even means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom