• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Beginner's Guide (by Stanley Parable creator) announced, releases on October 1st

Quick question.

In the level where Davey cuts the walls and reveals the mass of tunnels that Coda had hidden, are they actual tunnels you can clip into? Or is it just a static background? That would be crazy if Davey actually put them there for us to explore.

Quick question.

In the level where Davey cuts the walls and reveals the mass of tunnels that Coda had hidden, are they actual tunnels you can clip into? Or is it just a static background? That would be crazy if Davey actually put them there for us to explore.

I have no idea. I assume
both them and the labyrinth are computer generated

ike_

I did really enjoy the game, and I've been thinking about this the last few days and skimming both of these threads trying to piece things together. Sorry if I'm LTTP on this but if it's still being contested if
Coda was a real person or not. I really think he was.

In this talk:

http://livestream.com/accounts/6845410/gamesnow/videos/83818176

Davey himself discusses a friend named "Robin" (maybe that "dedicated to R." at the end?) and around the 38:00 minute mark he drops the line
that hit me so hard in my playthrough:
cCbpH5T.jpg
This makes me feel just about 100% sure that Coda is real. Regardless I have a feeling Davey put a ton of work into polishing up these unreleased levels and adding all
the great atmospheric music.
As much as I wish Coda was not real, and
this beautiful story was all an amazing
fiction created by Davey, I don't think that is the case. But even so I can still appreciate this game a whole lot.

I have no idea. I assume
both them and the labyrinth are computer generated

Fuck it.

As much as it makes me Storyline Davey, indtuding on Coda's work, i'm gonna noclip the fuck out of this game and see what's here that we missed.

I'll post (spoilered) pictures later.

snoopers

I am multitalented
I did really enjoy the game, and I've been thinking about this the last few days and skimming both of these threads trying to piece things together. Sorry if I'm LTTP on this but if it's still being contested if
Coda was a real person or not. I really think he was.

In this talk:

http://livestream.com/accounts/6845410/gamesnow/videos/83818176

Davey himself discusses a friend named "Robin" (maybe that "dedicated to R." at the end?) and around the 38:00 minute mark he drops the line
that hit me so hard in my playthrough:
This makes me feel just about 100% sure that Coda is real. Regardless I have a feeling Davey put a ton of work into polishing up these unreleased levels and adding all
the great atmospheric music.
As much as I wish Coda was not real, and
this beautiful story was all an amazing
fiction created by Davey, I don't think that is the case. But even so I can still appreciate this game a whole lot.

My personal interpretation is that it's precisely proof of the contrary. You've certainly found the real life inspiration for that sentence,
and it's not Coda. It's his roommate Robin. There is probably no Coda, and the game is probably all about Wreden's depression following the release of the Stanley Parable.
Doesn't make it less brave or interesting imho.

I know this thing is pretty tense in spoilers, but what is the general feel of this game, and is it good?

To answer your two questions in a word, each:

Introspective.

Yes.

Just finished it, my own thoughts:

Just let me hug this motherfucker. It's all going to be okay.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That was a hell of a thing

Weather Coda is or isn't real feels irrelevant to me. Here's the question that I'm hung up on: is this as intensely personal of a work as it appears? Because
the level to which we can read into The Beginners Guide is just what we can read into the works of Coda. Maybe a bit more explicitly with the narration, but ultimately do we risk making the same mistake? Or is there a point where art becomes communicative, in a way that is undeniable? The implications of Coda's work seemed evident even without the narration guiding our thoughts along. What if the ultimate point of this work, The Beginners Guide, isn't to communicate what we all think it's communicating? Does that even mean anything?

ike_

My personal interpretation is that it's precisely proof of the contrary. You've certainly found the real life inspiration for that sentence,
and it's not Coda. It's his roommate Robin. There is probably no Coda, and the game is probably all about Wreden's depression following the release of the Stanley Parable.
Doesn't make it less brave or interesting imho.

Kind of hoped somebody would post something like this <3.

I've kept an eye on this game since it came out, and finally I got some time to grab it on steam and play through it. It's very much not something you'll find anywhere else in the medium.

It is that type of experience that is very hard to quantify; I can't think how I would rate it or how I would describe it. It feels too human. It's like having a really personal and haunting discussion with someone about their life and the feeling of not quite knowing what's right afterward. This certainly takes some strength to create and put out there.

As for some spoilery discussion.
I think the "For R." in the credits has significance. Somebody mentioned earlier that the line "Being around you makes me physically ill" was actually from Davey's friend Robin. I agree that there is not true Coda, and that this game is entirely Davey's creation as a metaphor for parts of himself, but I think it may also have ramifications in relation to real people in his life.

The craziest thing is that what I consider "spoilery" feels oddly sordid, like discussing it as actively breaking someone's personal space, like I'm just gossiping about the core of a person, and I've never had a game that feels like discussing the game and its context brings the talk so close to the actual person who made it.

An incredible inspiration for how to use the medium, and a significant journey all the while.

Top Bottom