• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Beginner's Guide (by Stanley Parable creator) announced, releases on October 1st

rje

So, how many of you (early-game, like chapter 2 or 3?)
walked up the stairs without pressing "enter" just to see if something would happen?

I did a bunch of that stuff early on because after The Stanley Parable I wasn't sure if we should 'trust' the narrator. But I never found anything in the game worlds that was hidden or contradictory to the suggestions of the narrator. (Obv. I mean actual things in the game world. Whether or not you think the narrator's interpretation of events is trustworthy is a very different conversation...)

SilentRob

Some thoughts:

Coda's obviously not real. The whole premise wouldn't make much sense. It would mean that Davey had the idea for this game and it's narration and it's story arc, ending with him realising what a shitty thing he did while he had to have had that realisation way sooner in reality because he actually played through all the levels already and already saw the messages at the end, making his emotional outburst at the end completely meaningless because it's completely staged since he obviously made the decision to publish the game and fuck his friend over even after ending the game with him realising why he shouldn't do this an coming to terms with it. It doesn't make any sense inside the game's logic and it makes even less sense if you look at the reality of the situation.

The guy is a Indie superstar. He could ask pretty much anyone about the Coda dude, his whereabouts, whatever. People know each other in this industry. Someone, somewhere would have told him "Hey, dude, fuck off, you are pissing Coda off." along the way ;) Also, he just would have commited a very real crime by stealing other people's work and selling it as his own. I don't really think spelling any of this out is really necessary because the game never really tries to argue that Coda is a real person instead of a storytelling vehicle, but in light of a few comments I thought I should try to make that clear.

This is a story about Davey and his most private thoughts, his coming-to-terms with his own success and his apparent dependence on external approval of his own work. It's an amazing way to tell that story, but this is in no way about Coda. He could have put a million other characters in his place and we would still get the same message.

Finished a few minutes ago... from the 'comments' onwards was hitting me pretty hard.

As a general rule, just don't read any spoilers until you've played the whole game... and given yourself some time to reflect.

***ACTUAL SPOILERS***
My current thinking is that Coda (absolutely not real, or virtually real) was a part of Davey's personality that he thought was holding him back from integrating with the world as a 'perfect' (read: normal) person.

He tried to drag it out of himself and show the world so that side of him could be validated, and he could reconcile a part of him that he considers a failure and thus be a 'perfect' person.

But the games weren't for anyone else - nobody was supposed to see them. He might not have known it at the time, but he was making the games to collect his thoughts and reflect (door gap, maze floating etc) on his mind.

So, after Davey showed his games to the world, he felt like he betrayed their purpose, and himself. He couldn't accept part of who he was, so how could anyone else? At this point he shut himself off again, leaving his troubles unresolved, and unable to reconnect with the creative outlet that at least kept him sane, even if it didn't make him happy.

That's my interpretation after one play-through and only a few minutes reflection before I forget everything. Probably got the wrong idea entirely and forgot stuff. Interested to read thoughts of others.
No I think you're right the more I think about it.
I think that's what makes the game so powerful. Maybe I got the wrong idea, but thinking that Coda was real up until the Tower really made it hit a whole lot harder when I actually realized that Coda wasn't real.

Read something on Reddit that might or might not have anything to do with the overall meaning. Why did he add the bridge over the maze and give us the code for the bridge? Prior to that he just teleported us or brought us to a place. Its also the first time he added something to "Coda"s game. Like I said I don;t know if there is any significance to it, just thought it could potentially be interesting.

Anyway anyone on the fence about this, BUY IT! Its the first game that really made me think and is actually sticking in my mind. I can see myself thinking and pondering it for quite a while.

ymgve

I did a bunch of that stuff early on because after The Stanley Parable I wasn't sure if we should 'trust' the narrator. But I never found anything in the game worlds that was hidden or contradictory to the suggestions of the narrator. (Obv. I mean actual things in the game world. Whether or not you think the narrator's interpretation of events is trustworthy is a very different conversation...)

In the same map as the huge staircase, I went behind one of the columns and there was a sound clip with "sorry, there's nothing here" or something like that. Inspired me to not press enter to see if there were more moments like that.

SilentRob

Read something on Reddit that might or might not have anything to do with the overall meaning. Why did he add the bridge over the maze and give us the code for the bridge? Prior to that he just teleported us or brought us to a place. Its also the first time he added something to "Coda"s game. Like I said I don;t know if there is any significance to it, just thought it could potentially be interesting.

There is actually one message from Coda at the end of the game going something like "Did it feel great adding all those lampposts into my games?" Not an exact quote but something along those lines. So that seems to be another example of Davey's manipulation with the game's code to further conform them to his own interpretation of a "good game".

ElNarez

Banned
man I have no idea how you come up with some of your theories

Like, I have absolutely no doubt in the facts that a) Coda is fictional and b) Coda is a distinct character from Davey. To me, the game is the other side of The Stanley Parable. Where that game is about "What happens when the game answers", TBG is about "What happened to make you ask in the first place."

Coda was just into making abstract, closed spaces, experimenting with space and mechanics, but Davey wanted it to mean more, because if he could tell others that, he'd feel some sense of validation. So he started making stuff up, connecting dots to try and make up a narrative. And when that wasn't enough, he started messing with the games themselves, first in seemingly innocuous ways, with the cheats, removing the walls and all that. And then, when that wasn't enough, he added the lampposts, to make his narrative that much more impressive.

It's reminded me of a number of conversations we had over the last year or so. Like, we've seen people so desperate for the validation they get from games they're getting violent at any percieved threat. We've seen artists driven out of the medium because they were tired of the stories we made up to explain them.

The game does so much with very simple ideas and elements, it's just fucking impressive.

ymgve

I really like the architecture of the interiors in the game. They might be simplistic, but somehow it just feels "right".

There is actually one message from Coda at the end of the game going something like "Did it feel great adding all those lampposts into my games?" Not an exact quote but something along those lines. So that seems to be another example of Davey's manipulation with the game's code to further conform them to his own interpretation of a "good game".

Hmmm, thats interesting. I remember that now, I would love to pick Davey's mind and talk with him. Seems like an interesting person.

I think this is exploring really similar territory to The Stanley Parable, inasmuch as it is very much about the
relationship of the creator and the audience, the baggage and expectations that each side brings to the transaction, and the frequently unexamined assumptions that underlie it.

I will say that the
housecleaning level
spoke to me in a very personal and possibly unintentional way. I'm off to have a drink and stare pensively into the fireplace.

ymgve

man I have no idea how you come up with some of your theories

Coda was just into making abstract, closed spaces, experimenting with space and mechanics, but Davey wanted it to mean more, because if he could tell others that, he'd feel some sense of validation. So he started making stuff up, connecting dots to try and make up a narrative. And when that wasn't enough, he started messing with the games themselves, first in seemingly innocuous ways, with the cheats, removing the walls and all that. And then, when that wasn't enough, he added the lampposts, to make his narrative that much more impressive.

The big question is - who added the dialog sections? "Davey", or Coda? Because those certainly point to a troubled mind beyond someone just experimenting with level design.

It's reminded me of a number of conversations we had over the last year or so. Like, we've seen people so desperate for the validation they get from games they're getting violent at any percieved threat. We've seen artists driven out of the medium because they were tired of the stories we made up to explain them.
Isn't that the point of most of those games though? That the player is meant to come up with their own narratives about them? Not saying you're wrong about artists getting driven out because of this, but...
The game does so much with very simple ideas and elements, it's just fucking impressive.

Yes, I agree. Dave has jumped up to the top of my favorite indie developers.

SilentRob

No I think you're right the more I think about it.
I think that's what makes the game so powerful. Maybe I got the wrong idea, but thinking that Coda was real up until the Tower really made it hit a whole lot harder when I actually realized that Coda wasn't real.

Anyway anyone on the fence about this, BUY IT! Its the first game that really made me think and is actually sticking in my mind. I can see myself thinking and pondering it for quite a while.

The big question is - who added the dialog sections? "Davey", or Coda? Because those certainly point to a troubled mind beyond someone just experimenting with level design.

Definetly Coda. Davey even speaks about when and how Coda changed the dialog system. The game with the approaching door asking you to close your eyes is very dependant on it's dialogue and would make no sense without it. So that has to be somthing Coda himself worked on. At the end of the game he straight up tells Davey that the self doubt he expressed there is simply part of the creative process, that "lows" are as much part of life as "highs".

ElNarez

Banned
Isn't that the point of most of those games though? That the player is meant to come up with their own narratives about them? Not saying you're wrong about artists getting driven out because of this, but...

Stories of games, certainly, but when you're trying to make actual people part of your fanfictions and headcanons, there's a messed up part there. It's, I think, part of why, for instance, Phil Fish cancelled Fez 2.

Woffls

I think that
Davey made those changes to the games - his games - as a way of making them more digestible and purposeful in the eyes of other people. But what he ended up doing was negating their purpose entirely, and forgetting why they existed in the first place. It was Davey trying to make a side of his personality more agreeable to others.

lmao this page looks like the sort of document Mulder gets handed by someone in a dank ass garage. Should probably start a spoiler thread.

Stories of games, certainly, but when you're trying to make actual people part of your fanfictions and headcanons, there's a messed up part there. It's, I think, part of why, for instance, Phil Fish cancelled Fez 2.

Ahhh, I gotcha now. Yeah that is certainly not what they intended or should happen.

I will say that the
housecleaning level
spoke to me in a very personal and possibly unintentional way. I'm off to have a drink and stare pensively into the fireplace

The man says something along the lines of "a clean house is a clean soul"... And the house never gets clean. That part really got me too.

Well, that was kind of shit. Didn't expect to pay $8 CAD to hear some dude's
fictional apology to his fictional friend.

I mean, I understand why people like it but the entire thing felt like it was
trying a little too hard.

Well, that was kind of shit. Didn't expect to pay $8 CAD to hear some dude's
fictional apology to his fictional friend.

I mean, I understand why people like it but the entire thing felt like it was
trying a little too hard.
Its not a fictional friend, its the creator in him. Coda is another side of himself and hes trying to deal with hiw to appreciate his work.

Hmmm, not sure I agree. I think the game is about a struggle between two sides of the creator Davey. But certainly open to each individuals interpretation.

Woffls

The man says something along the lines of "a clean house is a clean soul"... And the house never gets clean. That part really got me too.
For me
it spoke to a stage of depression where you're finding purpose in menial tasks, just because you are doing something that has a beginning and end rather than perpetual emptiness. But at some stage, you need to move on and seek something more ambitious and brave a bit of uncertainty to get there.

It was one of the things that threw me about what the game's meaning might be, and at the moment I kinda see it as tangential but certainly part of what the game's narrative is addressing.

Zomba13

BIG SPOILERS
I absolutely did not get Coda was another side of Davey at all. Is there anything that points toward that? I didn't get anything to show that Davey had a split personality.

Anura

Anyone else find it interesting that
most of the time it's using female pronouns? During the backwards part it refers to whomever it's talking about as she and her, during the interagation section the player avatar is referred to as ma'am and during the island sections it's a young woman crying in the cell. The crying women is also the only time we see a person with a real head and not just a box.
I'd like to think it's intentional but I dunno

Woffls

BIG SPOILERS
I absolutely did not get Coda was another side of Davey at all. Is there anything that points toward that? I didn't get anything to show that Davey had a split personality.
Nothing explicitly stated it, but for me it was implied by the rest of the narrative and supports the other things that are presented more clearly, like the commentary on validation, isolation and inner conflict.

Wii Tank

All in all a fantastic experience. I loved every bit of it.
I wonder if the name Coda was chosen to represent the "coder" within him.

There's no way to talk about this without spoilers.

Davey, the creator, is playing a character here people. "Davey". Within the story's logic "Davey" is NOT Coda. That makes no sense.

Start to read too much into the intentions of the creator I think you missed the whole point of the game.

I plan on writing up a review thing on my site, but I have a few thoughts I want to share:

The whole thing is presented as a Documentary. Davey introducing himself, and presenting someone elses work, and deconstructing it, not unlike an art documentary, or a music documentary. That validation of knowing something others don't and trying to share it with the world blurrs the lines about who the artist is. One could argue that the true artist is Coda, making all this work, coming up with clever game sketches, and ideas, and reflecting his mental state and environment in his work, down to creating art about how he cant create art, he doesn't have good ideas, and he turns that into its own idea. On the other hand, Davey has carefully constructed this beautiful guided presentation, modifying the games so they can be completed, or showing the larger parts of the picture. By stripping away the work and letting it become a different kind of work entirely, Davey becomes the artist, using Coda's work as a canvas. The constant need to pawn off the brilliance of someone else's work that you connect and feel as ones own consumes him (who hasn't gushed to a friend or coworker about a movie or TV show you really really dig), and in doing so doesn't "get" why Coda has created these works of art. Only when finalizing the collection does he realize what was going on. Davey, who wants to share everything he does with the world (3 Stanley Parable games (OG Mod and demo included) the Ridiculous Fishing ARG, and other smaller games) doesn't get that some art can exist only for the author. Things don't need to be shared. Some things are too personal to be shared.

Patison

For me, this game is just groundbreaking. I haven't been so stunned since, well, I don't know, late '90s maybe? This form of
mockumentary
AFAIK has never been used in a game before and I don't think it can be used again. It was like
watching Blair Witch Project for the first time, not knowing if it was real or not. And sure, in case of this game, characters may not be real, but themes which were explored are as real as it gets. I really need to take a walk now. I have so many thoughts, yet I'm speechless.

And for God's sake, If I ever hear someone saying "that's not a game, that's just walking simulator" I will punch him in the face.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yep
I feel this was kind of a way for him to express some feelings. The actual name of the game, Beginner's Guide. It's kind of a "Hey, remember why you started fucking around with Source in the first place?"

I dunno how I feel, but ultimately, I'm glad I played it. I felt *something* and that makes it a worthwhile purchase and time spent.

Woffls

I assume it was a reference to a musical coda.
That was my initial assumption as well, though I'm struggling to think of how it reflects that side of his personality.

Now I've thought about it for a few minutes since writing that paragraph, I think it might be to illustrate how that aspect of his character 'died'. That Davey's desire for validation ended up killing a part of his character.

I dunno, it's 4am here :/ this game, man

$h@d0w

This game is an absolute masterpiece.

GOTY 2015

Edit, to anyone worried about value - took me around two and a half hours, well well worth the money.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Well this came out of nowhere.

I'll have another slice of Cakebread, please.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
What's with all the introspective redacted blocks? I thought this was just about game development :eek:

Not mocking btw, legitimately asking

General spoilers.

I feel like the biggest clue to all of this is Coda's name. We're being shown "coda's" work to help shed light on him or bring him back or what have you. Davey has lost sight of his end goal and is trying to get it back.

MrPanic

Welp, I almost feel like a bad guy after seeing all the positive reactions in here, but this game did absolutely nothing for me. The beginning was pretty good and got me interested enough to make me play through it in one sitting, but then it just turned into a rather (in my eyes) generic
depression
story with a very predictable plot twist. Of course this subject isn't really relatable to me personally nor does it hit close to home, so it's to be expected I wouldn't be as invested in it as others might be. That said, I'm usually a lot more invested in these type of stories, but this just fell totally flat for me at the end. One of the few times I actually felt like I wasted my time on something, the story just feels too fabricated and 'done before' for my liking.

That said, I still wanna give my respect to the dev. It's certainly is a unique experience for a game and I appreciate the uniqueness in what he tries to deliver with his games. I wish I didn't hate this game but I can certainly see why others would like it. Keep up the good work.

Top Bottom