• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "best designed" games of 2016?

duckroll

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is one the best built RPGs I played. It never reaches the point where it annoys you. Game is full of interesting, fun content. Dungeons are very well built.

Can you elaborate on that? What makes the game interesting? What are the mechanics like? How does the game design influence the player's experience making it interesting and fun, and why are the dungeons well built? I think details are what make threads like this interesting!

Gotta go Titanfall 2.

Mostly because of
the time travel level which was two levels designed to layer on top of one another. So great.
It certainly did this concept in the most seamless and action-y way that I've seen, but it's far from the first. In regards to that concept, Sorcery 3 did it best IMO, especially because it's implemented incredibly well into the game, with different text, options, stories, and secrets involved with traversing between. You can even
have an area that's half in the past and half in the present, and the game will have text and actions related to that

I'm still deep in my backlog but gameplay/game design wise I just finished Titanfall 2's story last night and holy shit that was incredible. I don't play a lot of shooters because they're mostly just corridor bullshit like Call of Duty, but every level of Titanfall 2 actually had superlative level design. The assembly line stage had me at a loss of words. And it's not just cool shit going on in the background, you're actually a part of it and there's so much going on that it's not only the design that's unreal, but how the logistics of the environmental insanity factor into the gameplay itself.

Incredible stuff.

Xliskin

Hyper Light Drifter one of the best Zelda/Dark Souls like game if not the best this game is masterfully designed

etrain911

I think from a technical perspective, No Man's Sky's procedural generation was at least kind of impressive. Shame the rest of it was a mess and the core gameplay loop was so boring.

Titanfall 2 had ridiculously good level design. As did DOOM.

You know, thinking about it. I kinda want to get this out of my system first. So I’ll be talking a bit about Uncharted 4. And the ways that it’s poorly designed in “parts”, but somehow manage to deliver an extremely compelling experience for me personally.

Uncharted 4 is my 3rd favourite game this year. As a whole, I would rank the game an 8/10, personally.

However. I would not consider it a masterclass in terms of game design. It's not even great. It’s far weaker than TLoU in many regards.

If I were to break down the game with my game design cap on, then Uncharted 4’s various scores in random aspects of game design would look something like this for me:

• Gunplay: 7/10
  • Level design: 7/10
  • Traversal design: 6/10
  • Enemy design: 6/10
  • Puzzle design: 5/10
  • Exploration design: 6/10
  • Narrative-exploration design: 6/10
  • Narrative-story/character beat: 8/10
  • Set-piece design: 7/10 - 10/10
  • Combat encounter design: 6/10 - 8/10

Uncharted 4, from a technical design perspective imo, is far weaker than games like DOOM, Overwatch, Titanfall 2 and anecdotally Dishonored 2 ( since I never played it). I can throw a ton of shade and criticisms on Uncharted 4 super easily without even thinking deeply about it.

Its puzzles are mediocre, repetitive and break some sense of immersion. A lot of the wheel block puzzles don’t blend it well and are poorly implemented in the moment-to-moment. Major puzzles are fun, but few and far between. And still too simple.

Its traversal mechanics aren’t engaging and too simple.
Even if above reason is due to the fact that it cannot be too complex as it would significantly affect the game’s traversal gunplay, it’s still a reality that the combat traversal requirement for it to be simple weakens the game’s exploration segments from a gameplay perspective.

Gunplay range from serviceable to really good. The problem is the inconsistency since the good parts come from the gimmicks of UC4’s traversal gunplay, not so much it’s core gunplay.

Uncharted 4’s gunplay design suffers from the fact that the game doesn’t do a very good job at funneling you to a sense of gameplay that makes use of its full tool set. The best of Uncharted’s gunplay reveals itself when you are constantly moving around, being shot at, shooting while swinging, punching, beating, shooting and employing a mixture of all that. At it’s best, Uncharted 4 has a loose gunplay that’s really fun to engage in.

The weakness is that the game design does a poor job of communicating or seamlessly fooling you into doing so, and at higher difficulties, prevents you from doing so since you die getting shot to death while swinging.

Not enough encounters and combat moments. Even when it’s there, the sense of moment-to-moment shootouts aren’t paced very well to deliver a sense of escalation in the same way Uncharted 2 did it. Pacing of delivering the gunplay’s sense of fun was weak.

Exploration & narrative exploration design (aka walking sim moments) are best that the franchise has been, but it’s just serviceable and only on-par with your average walking sim games. Given that there are parts of the game that are clearly better designed and more fun (puzzle, set-piece, gunplay, encounters), even if the walking sim portions of UC4 are “fine”, they will feel like an inferior aspect of the game that pulls down the experience. It lacks the elements and ingenuity of added design shown in Firewatch or Oxenfree that improves on the interactivity during exploration and dialogue. Being ‘fine’ is not good enough when other parts of the game are better than just ‘fine.’

Set-pieces range from good to great. Encounter design range from good to great. There’s really nothing much to talk about here other than they’re not enough of them, or the weaker ones could be better had the game done the funneling of design smarter than their current implementation.

Given that from a design perspective, the game has so much 6/7s on me, and all my criticisms why was it somehow an aggregate final ranking of 8/10 and my 3rd favourite game over many other “superior designed” games?

Because for all of my intellectual ability to assess games from that angle, I play games to find the emotional resonance and connection to it. Uncharted 4, for me, was a game that is far and above the sum of its parts. It was able to make me connect and feel the emotional highs and lows of Nathan Drake better than every other Uncharted game to date.

I’ve said it on other places before, but my favourite chapter in the entirety of Uncharted 4 is Chapter 12: At Sea.

From a purely mechanical design perspective? Arguably one of the worst designed levels in the game. Plenty of exploration that leads to dead ends, extremely uncompelling narrative during exploration periods (dead ends, people who die along the way, etc), weak traversal, mediocre puzzles and a lot of time spent on moments that don’t reward the player, but just frustrate them.

But coming off Chapter 10/11 that does a spectacular job of giving you really powerful highs that got instantly deflated by Elena’s burn, Drake’s frustration felt very very palpable to me. I was immersed in the game’s sense of frustration in a way few entertainment mediums can get to me feel frustrated, not about the game, but the experience.

If I was a game designer, I would consider Chapter 12 to be fucking crazy because it tries its best to be un-fun for the sake of a chance that you, the player, would be in the same headspace of annoyance and frustration that Drake feels. I would never, ever design a game like that.

But ND did. And it worked on me. And that is just one of the few moments throughout Uncharted 4 where the sum of its parts are why this game is my 3rd favourite game this year, above games I would give higher academic design scores.

Good post, Nightengale. Can definitely relate to it. I have UC4 in my top ten as well (a bit lower that you) because it has a lot to offer as an experience, despite its flaws which you did a good job describing. It lacks the razor sharp design of something like The Witness or the almost flawless gameplay loop of Doom, but I'm still glad I played the game.

Hjod

Banned
For me it's Doom. It's hard to explain but every piece of the game works so well together.

I really recommend watching Danny O'Dywers documentary on the making of Doom, really well made stuff. Watch here.

Honorable mention goes to Dishonored 2, the world building in that game is so lovingly done, and the levels are amazing, but Doom edges it for me.

keidashxd

The witness comes first to mind, maybe Inside is on a higher level of launching a polished to perfection product, but in terms of level design nothing comes close to The Witness, when you think about the perspective puzzles and the environmental ones you realize that in any other game you can change the placement of a tree or a plant, or a city and the game is still the same, but in The witness if you move anything more than one puzzle won't work, and that is a level design out of human reach, Blow... you are an alien... sorry but you've been discovered.

Top Bottom