• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best Sprite-work of the 32-bit era

Lukemon

Oh, if we're doing "era" though, then I guess I'd have to go with an SNK game- Garou Mark of the Wolves.

Even though... I think NeoGeos were 16-bit machines.

Garou is beautiful as well, of course. So much good 2D art going on at the time, especially considering how 3D had the wow factor on its side and these games were getting flak just for being 2D, which was considered 'dated'. 3S/Garou/Metal Slug animations hold up so much better than any 3D work from the same period.

Dommo

Metal Slug animation is on point:

tumblr_okec4aLrrr1st4oayo1_400.gif
8ede8f0132ebe24e0330bb8e52684e4e.gif

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's a toss up between Saga Frontier 2, Legend of Mana, and Breath of Fire 4.

I think these aren't necessarily the same. I believe some artists did intend for this art to be crisp, while others did intend for it to be seen on the displays of the era (accounting for NES pixel ratios for circles, adding transparencies through flickering, etc.).

I for one prefer the crisp images. I want to cut my eyes on the pixels.

I agree. And I'd like to point out, there were some nice consumer displays, and better connectors widely available by then. I was done with coax and composite well before that gen started, and the TV I had during the PS1 era put my older ones to shame. Hell, by the end of that gen, I had a WEGA (which I still have and use for all my old systems).

Slermy

I agree. And I'd like to point out, there were some nice consumer displays, and better connectors widely available by then. I was done with coax and composite well before that gen started, and the TV I had during the PS1 era put my older ones to shame. Hell, by the end of that gen, I had a WEGA (which I still have and use for all my old systems).

This is true. Hell, the Genesis supports RGB out of the box, and at these resolutions (240 p), you could clearly make out the individual pixels.

BigPete

Saga frontier 2 for sure. One of my favorite games ever.

Xenogears was pretty good. The sprites battle animations were especially well done.

leroidys

Yes, so? The OP meant fifth-generation consoles, which incidentally includes the N64 even though it's 64 bits as the name suggests.

Dreamcast both has a 32bit processor and overlaps the "32bit era".

The game in question (SF3) came out ~6 months after the N64, so I don't see how you could rationally exclude it.

D.Lo

Street Fighter 3 solos every game in this thread.

Just look at this and ask "how can they compete?"

SereneWildDutchsmoushond.gif

SimilarThornyCockatiel.gif

CoarseFailingAmericanwarmblood.gif
Yeah, even Mark of the Wolves, Metal Slug and the very good effort KOF 13 can't compete with the king. It's been almost 20 years and not been topped. One day, one day, I hope we will get a real successor, instead of the low-rent Dimps nightmares.

Argall

Neo Member
I was always impressed by the size of the Juggernaut sprite originally from Children of the Atom. He was really imposing.
juggernaut.gif
juggy-walk.gif

The only game I've found that gave saga frontier 2 a run for its money in the 32 bit gen is Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari.

nana14.jpg

54309-Nanatsu_Kaze_-_No_Shima_Monogatari_(J)-5.jpg

Seems to play a lot like the Wonder Project games with a fantasy theme but I couldn't get that far without being able to read japanese.

Noogy

I think the pixel art and technical achievement of Lomax impress me more than any game from that generation:

The+Adventures+of+Lomax+(ARCADE+PLATFORM)+%5BFINAL%5D.gif

Crayon

The only game I've found that gave saga frontier 2 a run for its money in the 32 bit gen is Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari.

nana14.jpg

54309-Nanatsu_Kaze_-_No_Shima_Monogatari_(J)-5.jpg

Seems to play a lot like the Wonder Project games with a fantasy theme but I couldn't get that far without being able to read japanese.

Wow that is something else.

Good thread!

tumblr_npbtkax6Ct1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

eso76

SOTN is a weird answer because a lot of sprites were from the 16-bit turbo game. It also has like zero parallax.

Tbh it has tons of parallax, but I agree.
SOTN sprites are from a previous generation and they were never that good to begin with. The actual pixel art is quite coarse, very low res and flat if you compare it to even older stuff like, idk.. Demon's Crest or Ghouls'n'Ghosts.
Nice usage of transparencies and special effects but that's about it

Dark_castle

Can someone explain to me why I'm more impressed by these sprites from many years ago more so than the 3D graphics of today's mainstream video games? And I'm not being nostalgic either. I've seen some sprites here only for the first time and I'm in awe.

Lulubop

Can someone explain to me why I'm more impressed by these sprites from many years ago more so than the 3D graphics of today's mainstream video games? And I'm not being nostalgic either. I've seen some sprites here only for the first time and I'm in awe.

idk

anyway bof4 is probably king

tsundoku

I saw Saga Frontier 2, 3rd Strike, Legend of Mana, and the Breath of Fire games.

Ragnarok fuckin Online tho also

Also high quality sprites mixed with 3d is dank as fuck. Fuck the haters

If only a new street fighter was like this but better
Well, here's the thing. It would probably be possible on a budget, IF Capcom did it at that resolution, but would fans accept a 640x480 game anymore? I would (someone previously mentioned yatagarasu earlier and I think it's evidence that I'm not alone in that feeling), but I think a lot, if not most would complain if the sprites weren't at least kof13 level which would be much more expensive and something barely anyone seems willing to attempt anymore. I'd honestly expect a fan to do it before Capcom right now.

Top Bottom