• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best Sprite-work of the 32-bit era

D.Lo

Tbh it has tons of parallax, but I agree.
SOTN sprites are from a previous generation and they were never that good to begin with. The actual pixel art is quite coarse, very low res and flat if you compare it to even older stuff like, idk.. Demon's Crest or Ghouls'n'Ghosts.
Nice usage of transparencies and special effects but that's about it
Alucard and some others had lots of animation, and some people think that means they are 'good sprite work'.

I personally think they are quite nice sprites, but reasonably poorly animated. Lots of frames but awkward balance of animation and movement, eg walking animations. It's also a massively inconsistent game, some elements look like Mega Drive, others like Neo Geo.

What it does really well is integration of effects, like lots of rotation and nicely integrated 3D, like the chapel.

Well, here's the thing. It would probably be possible on a budget, IF Capcom did it at that resolution, but would fans accept a 640x480 game anymore? I would (someone previously mentioned yatagarasu earlier and I think it's evidence that I'm not alone in that feeling), but I think a lot, if not most would complain if the sprites weren't at least kof13 level which would be much more expensive and something barely anyone seems willing to attempt anymore. I'd honestly expect a fan to do it before Capcom right now.

Street Fighter 3 was a big budget game, and it still released with 12 characters. It took another two years and two releases to get to Third Strike. And this was at low resolution. Even matching KoF13 would take four times as much pixel detail. A 1080p 2D Street Fighter is simply not possible, not to mention that in a few years everyone will be expecting 4k.

The Neo Geo was 16-bit but even 32-bit consoles couldn't be arcade accurate and animation frames were often cut.

Yeah, it blew my mind when I played the PS1 port of MSX and realized just how much worse it was. Choppy animations, entire animations removed, load screens between levels . . .

Revo_zero

He triggered me really hard. :/

I love BOF IV's style.

tumblr_ogtc0s1B1F1r7sijxo1_500.gif

came here looking for this...was not disappointed

tumblr_oatxnuDKpT1u9fgido1_500.gif

bof4-1.png

slash__ani.gif

nready__ani.gif

fslash__ani.gif

Tizoc

Are these emulated? The image filtering looks atrocious.

Waku Waku 7 released on the Neo Geo in 1996.

Well, here's the thing. It would probably be possible on a budget, IF Capcom did it at that resolution, but would fans accept a 640x480 game anymore? I would (someone previously mentioned yatagarasu earlier and I think it's evidence that I'm not alone in that feeling), but I think a lot, if not most would complain if the sprites weren't at least kof13 level which would be much more expensive and something barely anyone seems willing to attempt anymore. I'd honestly expect a fan to do it before Capcom right now.

You ever heard about Vanguard Princess?

Street Fighter 3 was a big budget game, and it still released with 12 characters. It took another two years and two releases to get to Third Strike. And this was at low resolution. Even matching KoF13 would take four times as much pixel detail. A 1080p 2D Street Fighter is simply not possible, not to mention that in a few years everyone will be expecting 4k.

i think it's better for capcom to learn from arc system works on how they managed to use a customized Unreal 3 engine and polygonal models to create the illusion of HD 2D spites..ala something like Guilty Gear Xrd.

Celine

The only game I've found that gave saga frontier 2 a run for its money in the 32 bit gen is Nanatsu Kaze no Shima Monogatari.

nana14.jpg

54309-Nanatsu_Kaze_-_No_Shima_Monogatari_(J)-5.jpg

Seems to play a lot like the Wonder Project games with a fantasy theme but I couldn't get that far without being able to read japanese.
Yeah the developer is the same (Givro).

Wonder Project J2 (N64)
1432519643445.gif

Wonder Project J (SNES)
PWJ-Act1-Gif1.gif

Dreamcast both has a 32bit processor and overlaps the "32bit era".

The game in question (SF3) came out ~6 months after the N64, so I don't see how you could rationally exclude it.

It came out on an arcade, which is not exactly the same. But people are posting 3DS games, so whatever.

What the fuck even is this?

That's Axelay, quite possibly my favorite shooter of all time. I still own the SNES cart. :)

Fredrik

There's far too few Metal Slug mentions so far, those games are in a leage of their own, still hasn't been surpassed when it comes to details on the sprites and animation.

Eila

I don't think Mother 3 is the most impressive but it's perfection to me. There is a lot of detail to animation.

Dreamcast both has a 32bit processor and overlaps the "32bit era".

The game in question (SF3) came out ~6 months after the N64, so I don't see how you could rationally exclude it.

Just about every game console from generation 6 had a 32bit CPU. The original Xbox used a CPU based on a Pentium III, The GameCube used a 32bit PowerPC CPU and even the GameBoy Advance was a 32bit machine. The only system that didn't have a 32bit CPU was the PS2, which did have a 128bit processor with some 32bit components inside.

Even the Wii and Nintendo DS as well as Nintendo 3DS were all 32bit. The Wii-U used a 32bit triple core PPC CPU. The Switch is the first Nintendo console to use a 64bit CPU since the N64.

Though those other later machines did have 128-256bit GPU's in them.

ffvorax

I personally LOVE Suikoden 2 artstyle!
Also Breath of Fire IV is gorgeous.
And Metal Slug was so good to see in motion!

And Alundra maybe? :D

Tain

i think it's better for capcom to learn from arc system works on how they managed to use a customized Unreal 3 engine and polygonal models to create the illusion of HD 2D spites..ala something like Guilty Gear Xrd.

Xrd is actually using an extremely vanilla Unreal Engine 3.

Xrd's visual success is the result of a whole lot of elbow grease.

Laz?

Neo Member
Holy shit that's beautiful, is that game any good though?

I played through it years ago and found it enjoyable but frustrating. The main plot thread (with Gustave XIII) is interesting even though it's somewhat predictable. The problems are difficulty spikes, a battle system that is confusing and poor plot resolution. If you're able to nab on the cheap, it's worth a play through.

MrBadger

I don't have anything to contribute that's not been mentioned already, but I'm learning about so many great looking games that I'd never heard of before today. The 2D games of the mid to late 90's were so under appreciated in their time, but they've aged really well visually.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Street Fighter III (well, mainly 3rd Strike, which is kinda funny since New Generation and 2nd Impact had more detail) gets a lot of love, as does Garou MOTW, but one impressive game that goes often overlooked is Art Of Fighting 3, which was done by the same team who would go onto make The Last Blade and Garou:

Intro/Demo Gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5fwGa8JEss

latest
latest

This game came out in 1996, almost a year before Street Fighter III, and you can see some similarities- the detailed animation, change in play style, and all new characters apart from the returning Ryo and Robert. The sprites are also pretty large. I don't recall them being as big as the AOF1 and AOF2 sprites, but they're still up there and only the original NeoGeo version has them this large. The Neo CD port had smaller sprites.

Crisium

Top tier Neo Geo art, from the Metal Slugs to Garou and more, is unreal. And that's from an arcade machine that released about the same time as the SNES - in 1990, but it punches well above its weight. They even ported Hugo from SF3 series (1996 CPS 3 machine) into it.

hugo.gif

In the era where Moore's law still functioned, this is absurd.

Good stuff here too on Neo Geo art:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1051512

guyssorry

This thread is great. This is probably my favorite artstyle ever for games (along w/ nice 16-bit sprites). Saga Frontier 2 art is incredible.

Mother Russia Bleeds looks incredible. To people who like retro sprite games, its just amazing. Well, it certainly looks amazing.

Quite a rightwing game, like Taken the game, but I love it.

Holy shit that's beautiful, is that game any good though?

That game has some of the most ridiculously hard fights in the genre. "Battle of South Moundtop" and "The Egg" final boss drive most people crazy before finishing it.

That being said the game looks a lot better in stills than it does to play. Animation is REALLY basic, and you feel more like you're walking around on top of that background, rather than "in" it, if that makes sense.

Top Bottom