• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

Kinsei

Banned
With the Switch version coming out tomorrow how are we going to handle spoilers in this thread? It will probably be the first time playing Isaac for quite a few people so should we go back to spoilering things like Mega Satan and the Cathedral?

Lutherian

It's not today digital.

They've just confirmed
this morning that we'll get a physical version, so you'll have to wait til then for the digital one too.

Being Nicalis, we have no idea when that will be, it could be like a year from now.

Oh, Nicalis, I hate your European releases... This is why I want to go full digital with their games.

I'd get them on US eShop, sadly they won't be linked to my EU account...

Oh, Nicalis, I hate your European releases... This is why I want to go full digital with their games.

I'd get them on US eShop, sadly they won't be linked to my EU account...

Exactly. I'd buy it today if I could. If I bought it on the US shop, I would if it would be linked to my account between switching regions.

Mentok

Banned
I'm contemplating buying the physical now despite knowing I won't have a Switch for a long while. Just don't want to hunt this down later (or risk it increasing in price).

Kinsei

Banned
Ah okay, I've had it unlocked for a while I guess so didn't realise it was glitched

It wasn't really a problem for me on the PC since I had it unlocked back in Rebirth. Sadly there's no way to go back to Rebirth and unlock them on the Switch version.

Got my first Post It on Keeper!

...A blue baby kill lol

I was doing a run to get the Mega Satan post it for Eve, and it didn't end up happening because Abbadon and Maw of the Void in the same Devil Deal was too much to tempt me (and the next floor had Death's Touch! The game was basically begging me not to try Mega Satan. I also had Pentagram at this point from a Fallen boss fight, so Leviathan also...), and then not having enough consistent hearts to do the sacrifice room. Anyway, the Clicker spawns in one of the chests in one of the last rooms before the boss. Use it once, and get Lilith. Meh. Found a battery, and got Keeper this time, and decided to challenge Blue Baby for laughs and now I have Deep Pockets on one stamp in the middle of an empty Keeper post it.

combine42

Neo Member
put in about 40 hours in the original vanilla binding of isaac but haven't touched any expansions for it. got this on the switch and excited to get back into it! How is the port for people?

I bought this digitally on Switch today but would love to peruse the instruction booklet somehow, it seems like it'd be helpful.

Does anyone know where I can find a scan of it?

saunderez

I'd pick bisnap over NL. NL is funnier and nowhere near as grumpy but snap got all the knowledge.
Bisnap is too stubborn in regards to what he will/will not pick up for me to find his runs enjoyable. There was a point where I appreciated "perfect" play but now I much more enjoy watching NL getting out of sticky situations. Guess I'm just a sucker for the zane...

dcassell

Banned
Playing Rebirth for the first time on Switch and just killed Mom for my first time across all versions. Got a ton of lucky drops and just destroyed it. What should I focus on now? There's so much to unlock...

hbkdx12

On one hand I'm salty that there's still no definitive time table for PS4. On the other hand it seems like it deviates further away from the "perfect balance" that they achieved with rebirth and started to lose with afterbirth.

Something akin to anti birth would be great

mstevens

I posted this on the switch thread, but I figured it would be fitting here as well:

First night playing this game and I beat
Mom
. Not skilled at these games but I got *extremely* lucky with items. I ended up finding a boss room where I traded two hearts for two
cat items
and turned into
a cat
, one of which allowed me to trade hearts for soul hearts. Well, on the next level I found an item that could do the opposite, and if I kept going back and forth I kept getting a net gain until I had full hearts. I also got items that poisoned the whole room, and lots of pet items, so
Mom
just melted.

I won't get that lucky again for awhile, but I love how each playthrough is different so I won't even mind if I don't get back there for awhile. The stats screen still says 0
Mom
kills so I'm guessing it's going to get harder now.

It was really cool to stumble upon that great set of items.

The fact that Void showing up is a % chance is such a dumb decision. Why gate that off? At the very least it should always show up once you've beat the Chest or Dark Room. I've had like 4 amazing Lillith runs in a row and it's so annoying I can't get that on my post it.

Saiyan-Rox

Just noticed after going into my American account eshop it says I've purchased Zelda :S guess it just detects it on the device rather than account...Wonder if Isaac will show the same on my UK account when it releases

AoM

The fact that Void showing up is a % chance is such a dumb decision. Why gate that off? At the very least it should always show up once you've beat the Chest or Dark Room. I've had like 4 amazing Lillith runs in a row and it's so annoying I can't get that on my post it.

It's guaranteed after Hush.

blackflag

Playing for the first time. No idea what I'm doing, what these items are, what is good and what isn't.

But damn it's fun. I'm just donating my couns cuz I don't really see anything worth buying at this point

Oh and died a bajillion times

1upsuper

Playing for the first time. No idea what I'm doing, what these items are, what is good and what isn't.

But damn it's fun. I'm just donating my couns cuz I don't really see anything worth buying at this point

Oh and died a bajillion times

Isaac is a lot of fun to learn on your own for a while and just see what happens. If you really get into it you'll want to eventually look up what things do and what are the best synergies, but there's nothing like those first however many hours where everything's a mystery and you have no idea what stuff does.

AoM

Yeah I know, but inevitably the best runs are where I take my time and don't get there quick enough!

Yup, but it makes sense they'd make you take the most difficult path to have a guaranteed chance to face the final boss (which is why I'm putting off Lost and Keeper runs for as long as I can).

blackflag

Isaac is a lot of fun to learn on your own for a while and just see what happens. If you really get into it you'll want to eventually look up what things do and what are the best synergies, but there's nothing like those first however many hours where everything's a mystery and you have no idea what stuff does.

Yeah it's really fun so far I haven't looked anything up so far.

Yeah I know, but inevitably the best runs are where I take my time and don't get there quick enough!
I can understand missing boss rush, but missing hush is kinda hard. The 30 minute limit is pretty generous. Plus, if it's taking you more than that maybe your run isn't really in 'void' territory.

dkopman1

Neo Member
Just picked this up on my Switch. The packaging is superb! Since this is my first time ever playing the game are there any recommendations of websites/guides or youtubers that helped you learn the game? Just seems very overwhelming to a newcomer like myself.

dickroach

Just picked this up on my Switch. The packaging is superb! Since this is my first time ever playing the game are there any recommendations of websites/guides or youtubers that helped you learn the game? Just seems very overwhelming to a newcomer like myself.
you're not gonna get better by watching people play imo. you gotta just keep playing. you get the hang of it eventually.

as for an item guide:
http://platinumgod.co.uk/afterbirth-plus

The booster pack is coming next week

The booster pack after that will also probably make new achievements and unlocks to make the PC version match the Switch version (this won't affect anyone with old saves).

This would be Apollyon, Greedier Mode, the Afterbirth alt stages, the portal enemy spawners and DLC bosses

KarmaCow

Any opinions on which characters are the best?

Outside of a few more gimmicky characters like Azazel, it largely doesn't matter after the first few floors. Generally I like Isaac because the ability to reroll items with the D6 is nice but it takes a bit to unlock that. Similarly, Apollion with The Void is good for making use of otherwise kinda useless items.

mstevens

This game is really fun and I'm doing alright even though I'm panicked and feel like I'm on the verge of death the whole time lol

I've had 13 deaths so far, two of which were on
Mom's heart
but I finally killed it this last time using the
Bible
. Still not sure if I have a good strategy to beat that legitimately. Brimstone and Daddy's Long Legs got me there pretty easily.

It gave me a Mom kill for that, even though I'm guessing the game goes much further than that.

Top Bottom