• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT12| Days of Future Bans

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

This is true.

I'll have to see the movie to see how they play it.

In the most narm way possible, I'm sure. It makes no sense for Ben Grimm to use that as his catchphrase unless he's one sick son of a bitch underneath all that. They basically shat all over that tradition with a movie adaption associating it with child abuse and a physical abuser.

i stick my tongue out in disgust.

royalan

Is there a thread on that Kelly Osborne shit!? Because there should be a thread.

This isn't usually what I think of when I think of deepthroating a foot...

Numb

Man that Fantastic 4 trailer at the movies today was butts.
And the reviews are saying the same. Live action F4 is cursed.

cdyhybrid

Is there a thread on that Kelly Osborne shit!? Because there should be a thread.

This isn't usually what I think of when I think of deepthroating a foot...

I just saw this. I really didn't want to because cringey stuff like that makes me curl up into the fetal position, but I tried anyway. Couldn't make it past the first sentence.

Kelly...
3hGHtiA.png

ReiGun

Yet another clip from The View of Rosie Perez looking all the way fed up.

I hope she gets out soon. The poor woman.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
In regards to the catch phrase talk:

Comic book movies should not be so ambitious with "real" or mature emotional psyche content that requires subtlety because the execution just ends up being off and people get disgusted or bust out laughing during what is supposed to be a dramatic point.

Reminds me of the Black Widow storyline in the last avengers about being infertile and the terrible choice of dialogue about how that makes her a monster too. Just ended up pissing people off and wasn't even needed as we had plenty of that lame romantic subplot hammered into the movie anyway.

Comic book movies should not be so ambitious with "real" or mature emotional psyche content that requires subtly because the execution just ends up being off and people get disgusted or bust out laughing during what is supposed to be a dramatic point.

Reminds me of the Black Widow storyline in the last avengers about being infertile and the terrible choice of dialogue about how that makes her a monster too. Just ended up pissing people off and wasn't even needed as we had plenty of that lame romantic subplot hammered into the movie anyway.

I don't think writers should shy away from trying to express the depth of a character for fear of the audience misunderstanding and getting angry.

Comic book movies should not be so ambitious with "real" or mature emotional psyche content that requires subtlety because the execution just ends up being off and people get disgusted or bust out laughing during what is supposed to be a dramatic point.

Eh I didn't find that as bad because she feels like a monster because she's a weapon pretty much plus they took something from her that she obviously held dear to make her an even better weapon.

Eh I didn't find that as bad because she feels like a monster because she's a weapon pretty much plus they took something from her that she obviously hold dear to make her an even better weapon.
Yeah. That "monster" bit in AoU that people were up in arms about? It just confused the hell out of me and my girl. We didn't see it as a "Can't have children = I'm trash" moment..we just felt for her. I'd say, more than we ever even cared to..

Slayven

Infertile= Monster bit was always reaching for the bloggers.

Anyone with an ounce of commonsense could tell she meant how they turn her into a killer.

ReiGun

The problem with the infertile bit was it didn't really need to be there. Like, we see a scene of a young Black Widow killing a man. It was already clear how much the Red Room fucked her up. Throwing the baby part in there just ended up distracting from the point the movie was trying to make about her character.

Even if you got the point, it wasn't really effective writing. Reeked of Whedon trying to comment on women's issues because I guess it's expected of him at this point.

Slayven

The problem with the infertile bit was it didn't really need to be there. Like, we see a scene of a young Black Widow killing a man. It was already clear how much the Red Room fucked her up. Throwing the baby part in there just ended up distracting from the point the movie was trying to make about her character.

Even if you got the point, it wasn't really effective writing. Reeked of Whedon trying to comment on women's issues because I guess it's expected of him at this point.

How it was worded and written was just clumsy.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I don't think writers should shy away from trying to express the depth of a character for fear of the audience misunderstanding and getting angry.
In general yes I agree writers should aspire to depth and complexity. But they should keep in mind time and circumstance. In a comic book movie context, you better have shit locked down and well thought out before you try to execute something with complexity. Otherwise it falls flat or just makes people say "wtf?".

Agreed. This is pretty much my take on the situation. I wasn't outraged by it but it was definitely off-putting and out of place. And trying to shoe-horn that kind of thing into a super hero movie is exactly what I'm talking about.

...now that I think about it I'm worried for Black Panther.

Before that dialogue, the audience knows she went through some fucked up stuff but they don't know how she personally feels about it. That bit of dialogue both serves to show why Widow feels a connection with Banner while at the same time actually expresses how she feels about what she became.

Slay is correct in that the dialogue could've been worded a bit more clearly but the Monster aspect and the Infertile aspect were never inherently connected. She's a monster because of what she became and she mentions infertility specifically because Banner mentions his inability to have kids.

In general yes I agree writers should aspire to depth and complexity. But they should keep in mind time and circumstance. In a comic book movie context, you better have shit locked down and well thought out before you try to execute something with complexity. Otherwise it falls flat or just makes people say "wtf?"

I agree with the idea you're expressing here but I guess I just don't feel like Avengers fits it. I feel like that whole controversy came from the audience having a lack of comprehension. Or.. more accurately it's a case of passively consuming or half-listening to the dialogue. I'd rather writers keep striving than over simplifying just in case it could be taken the wrong way.

It didn't need to be there but for who she is it makes a lot of sense for that to happen to her considering she was probably going to be used as a honey pot and they didn't want her to get pregnant during the job. Its some fucked up shit and probably clashed with the tone of the movie and Cap ripping logs but I found it effective.

Thinking about it thought, people thought Johnathan Kent saying maybe was the cardinal sin of Man of Steel for some so people are gonna reach either way.....

Thinking about it thought, people thought Johnathan Kent saying maybe was the cardinal sin of Man of Steel for some so people are gonna reach either way.....

I like that aspect of the MoS parents. Acknowledging the thousands of ways he can be hurt by becoming a hero and struggling against the fact that that's what Clark is great at. It's more real to me than them cheering him on every time he dives into a lake or runs into a burning building because they know that humans can be cruel to people with even the purest intentions.

ReiGun

The entire conversation around MoS involves everyone reaching like Plastic Man. I can't believe that shit is still going on.

I like that aspect of the MoS parents. Acknowledging the thousands of ways he can be hurt by becoming a hero and struggling against the fact that that's what Clark is great at. It's more real to me than them cheering him on every time he dives into a lake or runs into a burning building because they know that humans can be cruel to people with even the purest intentions.

I love Ma Kents you don't owe them anything line in the recent trailer. The best way to humanize Clark imo, is to humanize the people around him.

Slayven

Thanks for the article! I'd known in my head that #AllLivesMatter was always about shutting up black voices. If they actually cared about police abusing their power, semantics over a hashtag would never have been on their minds.
Exactly.

The entire conversation around MoS involves everyone reaching like Plastic Man. I can't believe that shit is still going on.

i find the discussions about shit getting destroyed especially petty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom