• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

RedSwirl

I enjoy some anime

That should be the only answer really. People still treat anime and manga like a genre when each one is really more like a medium. I guess you can say you're tired of shounen anime or anime with loli tropes, but don't act like that's all the anime there is.

Anyway, I didn't know adult swim was streaming Outlaw Star till now.

andthebeatgoeson

I mean we got people saying a 53 year old man sexting a fifteen-year-old doesn't deserve jail time so you know, goddamn.

People are divorced from reality. Apparently nothing you do should have any consequences.
'But but, it was the way they fired me.'

'I talked shit about them but they could have given me the decency....'

-----

I'm laughing at this spam mail. Am i being punked? Tells me it's from IT. Hover over the link and the address is stealmyinfo.corp-whatever.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

I'm reading my email because i just logged in and it says my email password has expired. Fucking Russians, I'm not stupid, you know.

Damn, i want to see how terrible the site really is.

Not including movies:

Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Evangelion
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Hare & Guu
Hellsing Ultimate
Kaiji
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories
Ping Pong: The Animation

Speaking of, Dragonball FighterZ looks incredible. Was watching a recent video from Maximilian Dood and was mesmerized.

Speaking of, I jam to the 1999 version's openings at least 3 times a week

andthebeatgoeson

1eMzwpo.jpg

Y'all will like this.

CENTER CITY (WPVI) --
The first statue in Philadelphia's collection dedicated to an African American was unveiled Tuesday outside City Hall.

The statue of 19th-century activist Octavius Catto is called "The Quest for Parity."

Catto is remembered for his tireless fight for equal rights for all long before the Civil Rights Movement began.

The Civil War veteran was also a scholar, educator, and athlete. He fought for a better education for African Americans, led efforts to desegregate the streetcar and pushed for equal rights.

Catto was shot and killed at age 32.

"Octavius Catto was a true American hero. Like many unheralded black American heroes, he should be revered and recognized. Their lives and accomplishments should be part of the curriculum of our schools, not just during the shortest month of the year," Mayor Jim Kenney said.

Catto was born free on February 22, 1839, in Charleston, South Carolina, and moved to Philadelphia as a child. In 1858, he graduated as valedictorian from what would become Cheyney University, the nation's oldest historically black college, and became an English and math teacher at his alma mater.

By his early 20s, Catto already was an influential black Philadelphian, serving in the Pennsylvania National Guard during the Civil War and recruiting blacks to serve in the Army. He also was a pioneering athlete, helping to establish Philadelphia as a major hub of the Negro Leagues and pushing to integrate baseball decades before Jackie Robinson would break the sport's color barrier.
Catto's work advocating for voting rights would ultimately bring about his untimely death. He worked to get Pennsylvania to ratify the 15th Amendment guaranteeing the right to vote for black men. On October 10, 1871 - the first Election Day blacks were allowed to vote - Catto was shot to death on his doorstep by Irish-American ward bosses.

Kenney, who has Irish-American roots, has championed the memorial since his days on City Council. It will be the first public sculpture at City Hall since a statue of retailer John Wanamaker was installed in 1923.
http://6abc.com/society/philly-honors-african-american-activist-with-city-hall-statue/2455279/

Malyse

Honestly, people who say all of any entertainment medium is bad are idiots whose opinion can be safely disregarded. Fact is, it's impossible to consume all of any medium so dismissing any one out of hand is as negligent as it is ignorant. It'd be far more efficient to say "I haven't found any I like and I'm not willing to be open to discovering any either".

But what do I know. I try to enjoy things as much as possible.

----

Man I would love a KotOR 1 & 2 remaster with TOR assets on Switch. And TOR on Switch.

RedSwirl

There was a news story somewhere about some southern state proposing a monument to a Civil War-era black person. Can't remember the details but I always wondered why southern states aren't bringing this up more now.

I mean, we know why those confederate statues were erected in the first place, but I juts wondered if any southern states or cities ever recently even thought about erecting statues to black historical figures of the time just to give the outward impression they're "evening things out."

D i Z

I've never heard about this dude, but I'm an ignorant immigrant. Good shit that they did this.

Honestly, people who say all of any entertainment medium is bad are idiots whose opinion can be safely disregarded. Fact is, it's impossible to consume all of any medium so dismissing any one out of hand is as negligent as it is ignorant. It'd be far more efficient to say "I haven't found any I like and I'm not willing to be open to discovering any either".

But what do I know. I try to enjoy things as much as possible.

----

Man I would love a KotOR 1 & 2 remaster with TOR assets on Switch. And TOR on Switch.

We still talking about anime? Used to be good. Now, it's still shit.

Also the Kotor versions on steam are absolutely garbage. There isn't anyone to take care of a proper port.

LotusHD

Banned
Reading through that 343 thread, with some defending that dude's statements as it being nothing new, that the internet is known for being hyperbolic. Man, that's the damn problem to begin with lmao

Man, the Streisand effect is real for Fortnite. If Bluehole hadn't opened their damn mouths about Fortnite Battle Royale, FNBR probably would have had a quiet launch. Now I'm hearing that the servers are now experiencing actual queue times. I think Fortnite Battle Royale might do just fine.

Izuna

Banned
Do you really not realize how much better The Old Republic looks compared to the iPad version of KotOR? It's literally an Xbox game versus a 360 game.

Oh, no I don't. I didn't realise you mentioned that game :( I've also never seen it. Don't mind me, I'm on a stupid streak today.

Malyse

Gonna be a veggie stir fry tonight in my kitchen. What are you degenerates eatin'?

Meat.jpg

---

A game set in the American Civil War. You can choose your side and affect the outcome. If you chose the Confederate Side, you get shot in the head before the ending and the South still loses.

You get a screen that says "Game Over, Asshole" and it deletes all your save files.

D i Z

Meat.jpg

---

A game set in the American Civil War. You can choose your side and affect the outcome. If you chose the Confederate Side, you get shot in the head before the ending and the South still loses.

You get a screen that says "Game Over, Asshole" and it deletes all your save files.

That doesn't look healthy.

----
I wouldn't buy it, but I would love to see it.

I have never played a more tense game mode than Battle Royale. This is legit nerve wracking in a good way. Bobbing and weaving from house to house, searching carefully for that previous ammo, or the sneaky player waiting in the dark for an ambush. Rushing to the circle, keeping watch for any other players doing the same. Engaging in tense firefights and being so glad that one bullet made it's mark. It's just too good.

D i Z

I have never played a more tense game mode than Battle Royale. This is legit nerve wracking in a good way. Bobbing and weaving from house to house, searching carefully for that previous ammo, or the sneaky player waiting in the dark for an ambush. Rushing to the circle, keeping watch for any other players doing the same. Engaging in tense firefights and being so glad that one bullet made it's mark. It's just too good.

Still not selling me on it. Try again, but this time work a little Predator into it. That shit speaks to me.
You know, I'll just play Pubg if I want alla that.

Izuna

Banned
Wtf?

Just got off the phone with my US friend who I will be visiting over Christmas...

You guys don't have Boxing Day?!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/26/excl...f-nhls-few-black-players-may-kneel-for-anthem

SAN JOSE — Joel Ward isn’t ruling out the possibility that he could become the first NHL player to join the protests sweeping through the NFL by taking a knee during the national anthem at an upcoming Sharks game.

As one of roughly 30 black players in the NHL, Ward has first-hand experience with racism. He knows what it’s like to be racially profiled by the police and he’s troubled by the rhetoric being used by President Donald Trump toward African American protestors in the NFL and NBA.

“It’s definitely something I wouldn’t cross out,” Ward said when asked by the Mercury News whether he’d consider taking a knee during the national anthem at an upcoming Sharks game.

“I’ve experienced a lot of racism myself in hockey and on a day-to-day occurrence. I haven’t really sat down to think about it too much yet, but I definitely wouldn’t say no to it.”

“I had no clue what the words meant until my parents educated me about what was going on in my surroundings. I was just a kid who fell in love with the game and picked up a hockey stick. I didn’t really look at it as color,” Ward said. “As I got older and looked across the locker rooms and dressings rooms, I realized I’m the only black kid in the whole arena.

“I’ve experienced racism as a kid, as an adult. I think I’ll always experience it.”

Malyse

I tasted heaven tonight and it's mashed potatoes with leeks and garlic. I added some white pepper on a whim and ye gods. Plus I couldn't find the potato masher so I decided to use the hand mixer. So light. So fluffy. I have found divinity in food.

Top Bottom