• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread XX

Mizerman

I swear it started with me binging through RWBY chibi.....three times. Then I decided to watch the series. Currently in the second volume now and it's decent. Also Weiss is a bitch. Just...Weiss is a bitch.

I picked it up too after the twitch stream. Music is pree ace

It was those crazy weapon designs that got me into the series at first, then I just enjoyed the series as it went on.

DMVfan123

Banned
I gotta be honest, was having a stressful couple of weeks, but the fact that Future/Thugger are releasing an album in less than 5 hours made my week, hell, made me year

I wish I could get past the 3D animation to get into RWBY. And this is coming from someone who loved Aijin. Is the core story good?

I only watched the first season, and it has it's charm. The world setting and lore in general are pretty above par in my opinion. That being said, I only watched the first season, so it wasn't charming enough to keep me hooked. I've considered going back to it.

Shy

Bruhs.
Is star trek worth gettin into?
Or if you had to recommend one and only one series to watch which would it be?
Quick answer.

If you only want to watch a single series. Watch DS9. Not only is it the best trek. It has the best good episode to bad episode ratio of any of the treks.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Noted,
Is TNG overrated or something?

TNG overall is damn good, but the first season is actually legitimately terrible.

It's also a different kind of show than Deep Space Nine. TNG is more like the old Star Trek where it's mostly standalone episodes. When they find something that works they'll bring it back, and there are recurring characters and very loose "continuing story lines", but it's mostly "go to a planet, here's a new situation, time for an adventure and let's just move on next week." There's nothing wrong with that, and that flexibility allows for them to tell some all-time great sci-fi stories, but it also means sometimes there are awful episodes mixed in.

Deep Space Nine is set on a space station instead of a starship, so it tends to go deep instead of wide. They really flesh out the characters and factions around the station, and the later seasons are very heavily serialized.

TNG and DS9 are the best two Trek series, and depending on what you like you'll like one more than the other. Honestly I'd recommend watching both, especially since TNG establishes a lot of the concepts that DS9 uses as a foundation. (Deep Space Nine is better, though.)

Slayven

TNG overall is damn good, but the first season is actually legitimately terrible.

It's also a different kind of show than Deep Space Nine. TNG is more like the old Star Trek where it's mostly standalone episodes. When they find something that works they'll bring it back, and there are recurring characters and very loose "continuing story lines", but it's mostly "go to a planet, here's a new situation, time for an adventure and let's just move on next week." There's nothing wrong with that, and that flexibility allows for them to tell some all-time great sci-fi stories, but it also means sometimes there are awful episodes mixed in.

Deep Space Nine is set on a space station instead of a starship, so it tends to go deep instead of wide. They really flesh out the characters and factions around the station, and the later seasons are very heavily serialized.

TNG and DS9 are the best two Trek series, and depending on what you like you'll like one more than the other. Honestly I'd recommend watching both, especially since TNG establishes a lot of the concepts that DS9 uses as a foundation. (Deep Space Nine is better, though.)
The first 2 seasons of TNG was rough as hell.

To piggy back on Htown. Sisko was a different kinda of commander then we were use to seeing, he was kinda down and out when DS9 started. He never becomes as idealistic as Picards or even Kirk. But at the same time he his was a killer, he does not entertain bullshit at all.

Shy

Is TNG overrated or something?
No. Not at all

But the first two seasons are awful.

Though season one has the racist episode "code of honour" Which you kinda need to watch, just so you can sit there wondering to yourself how this shit even aired, let alone got made.
To piggy back on Htown. Sisko was a different kinda of commander then we were use to seeing, he was kinda down and out when DS9 started. He never becomes as idealistic as Picards or even Kirk. But at the same time he his was a killer, he does not entertain bullshit at all.
Another thing about Sisko (which i love) Is the relationship with his son. It's so natural and real.

Slayven

No. Not at all

But the first two seasons are awful.

Though season one has the racist episode "code of honour" Which you kinda need to watch, just so you can sit there wondering to yourself how this shit even aired, let alone got made.

Another thing about Sisko (which i love) Is the relationship with his son. It's so natural and real.

Yeah Jake was one of the few good kid characters on a drama. Rom and Nog was good too.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah Jake was one of the few good kid characters on a drama. Rom and Nog was good too.

I am still flabbergasted that Deep Space Nine managed to have multiple good Ferengi characters. TNG introduced them and never managed to have one.

Slayven

I am still flabbergasted that Deep Space Nine managed to have multiple good Ferengi characters. TNG introduced them and never managed to have one.

Crazy because the Ferengi was suppose to be the big bads of TNG. DS9 was great about character development, they weekly guest but never neglected the core group.

Shy

Speaking of the Ferengi. Here's a memo from Gene Roddenberry about the Ferengi.

Read the third paragraph. LOL.
Yep. Because he (and Nog) were allowed to be normal kids. (unlike Wesley)
True. But i still have trouble with the Ferengi being a horrible racist stereotype.
Crazy because the Ferengi was suppose to be the big bads of TNG. DS9 was great about character development, they weekly guest but never neglected the core group.
Yeah. Looking back on that and thinking they wanted them to be threatening is funny.

Malyse

Yeah, I'm dropping all anime save DBS and Precure. I don't actually even have time to watch those, so fuck watching anything new.

And anything from NisiOisiN.

Top Bottom