• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

No no, it really is interesting. It's something that I actually wouldn't have noticed if someone had not pointed it out to me.

Wow. I wonder if I can find something else like this instance.

Then again, I'm sure as hell not willing to watch any more Rick Ross videos. I do appreciate his efforts as a rapper and I have purchased Teflon Don, but it won't go any more than that.

Londa

Banned
The only people who fine that rasict are people who think natual black hair is ugly and needs to be covered with weave. People who hate their dark skin and wish they had skin like Beyonce.

Lebron

SmokyDave said:
Yeah, those damned 'Oprah Winfreys', they just won't let it go.

...I assume that's who you meant by 'they'?
People in general. After every Forensic/Criminal Justice expert that speaks in your classes brings it up, you get tired of hearing about it.

PhoenixDark said:
I know you're discussing deep shit and all, but it's late and I'm tired as fuck. Stumbled across this music video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a35rNEBNiO4

and I'm like hmm, is it just me or is that semi racist against dark people. The negative, loud black girl has unkept, nappy hair while the positive "pretty girl" is light skinned and all. damn ricky
If you saw anything in that video besides that sexy ass Aston Martin you were looking at the wrong thing.

Side note Rick Ross is someone who should never take his glasses off, like Little John there is a reason why they are mostly seen with them on.

lil-jon-no-sunglasses-on.jpg

rick-ross_ugly.jpg

Lebron said:
People in general. After every Forensic/Criminal Justice expert that speaks in your classes brings it up, you get tired of hearing about it.
You should steer it away with whatever Nancy Grace is screaming about this week. It might still be annoying, but at least it'll be fresh.

SmokyDave

Lebron said:
I see. Apologies if I read you wrong.

I want a silk dressing gown with 'Wild Whitey' on the back.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
let's just be real here guys. he should have kept this shit a secret. now every black person is gonna have to apologise in person, to every white person they see walking on the streets and shit.

damn. touche white people, touche..

Londa

Banned
soundscream said:
If you saw anything in that video besides that sexy ass Aston Martin you were looking at the wrong thing.

Side note Rick Ross is someone who should never take his glasses off, like Little John there is a reason why they are mostly seen with them on.

lil-jon-no-sunglasses-on.jpg

rick-ross_ugly.jpg

Rick Ross is a 1 with or without the glasses. XD

OJ was the one that got away. Until he was put in jail for essentially a life sentence for stealing back his memorabilia that was stolen from him. lol

SmokyDave said:
Yeah, those damned 'Oprah Winfreys', they just won't let it go.

...I assume that's who you meant by 'they'?
Who do you think Oprah's fanbase is made up of?
Oprah's audience is also predominantly white: 5.9 million of whites watch Oprah, compared with 1.4 million blacks.

Imm0rt4l

I was pissed about the OJ trial, since I was like 9 and they decided to televise it, which took the place of Talespin. I would tune in after school for some baloo only to say 'wtf is this shit?'

Damn I didn't know the demographic of the viewers of the Oprah show had such a significant difference.

Wayne Brady is the male Oprah, in that case.

I just spent the last 2 hours in sheer terror and it was all because of a fucking toy spider. It's not even that big now that I have it in my hand, but my brother placed it at such an angle (on top of the edge of the curtain rod which itself is above my bed) and it had such great lighting from the window that the thing looked bigger than my fucking palm.

I've always known that I don't like bugs/arachnids/anything with too many limbs and orifices, but this was something else entirely. I look up from my laptop and notice this big black shape out the corner of my eye and I almost freaked out right there. I stood outside my room for 2 hours trying to muster up the courage to go back in the room and punch a hole in the wall with one of my golf clubs but every time I got near all I did was get dizzy and weak.

I really had no idea a god damn spider would have that effect on me. I live in Jersey and I've NEVER seen a spider that big IRL so I'm sure that contributed to the shock. I'm mad at myself for losing control over such a small creature and even madder at the fact that my brother will be laughing his fucking face off once he gets home. Apparently the spider had been up there for DAYS. They had been trying to get me for that long.

God.. reading over this post now and I smh because it's so fucking dramatic
KuGsj.gif

I still can't believe that happened.

DominoKid

man if yall ever lose perspective on women, go listen to the Black Phillip shit that Patrice O'Neal did. i feel like the game has broken down in front of me and revealed its true self

Mononofu

Anybody multilingual? I'm currently teaching myself Russian.

DominoKid said:
man if yall ever lose perspective on women, go listen to the Black Phillip shit that Patrice O'Neal did. i feel like the game has broken down in front of me and revealed its true self

Do you have a link?

Mononofu

Master Milk said:
Why Russian? And multi, not just bi? Do you already speak something besides English?

Doh! I meant bi sorry.

I chose Russian because I had a bit exposure to it through films/music and it seemed cool.

Mononofu said:

That's cool. What made you want to learn Russian? Vodka is vodka no matter the language.

English/Korean. A miniscule amount of espanol

Felt like sharing. Apologies if these have already been posted.

For New Life, Blacks in City Head to South -- NYTimes

SOUTH-articleLarge-v2.jpg

Candace Wilkins, 27, left, of St. Albans, Queens, with her mother, right, and her grandmother. Ms. Wilkins plans to move to Charlotte, N.C.

Published: June 21, 2011
The economic downturn has propelled a striking demographic shift: black New Yorkers, including many who are young and college educated, are heading south.

About 17 percent of the African-Americans who moved to the South from other states in the past decade came from New York, far more than from any other state, according to census data. Of the 44,474 who left New York State in 2009, more than half, or 22,508, went to the South, according to a study conducted by the sociology department of Queens College for The New York Times.

The movement is not limited to New York. The percentage of blacks leaving big cities in the East and in the Midwest and heading to the South is now at the highest levels in decades, demographers say.

“I feel a strong spiritual pull to go back to the South,” Ms. Brown said.
“New York has lost some of its cachet for black people,” Professor Crew said. “During the Great Migration, blacks went north because you could find work if you were willing to hustle. But today, there is less of a struggle to survive in the South than in New York. Many blacks also have emotional and spiritual roots in the South. It is like returning home.”
“In the South, I can buy a big house with a garden compared with the shoe box my retirement savings will buy me in New York,” she said.
The Rev. Floyd H. Flake, pastor of the 23,000-member Greater Allen African Methodist Episcopal Cathedral in Jamaica, Queens, said he was losing hundreds of congregants yearly to Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia.

22south4-popup.jpg

Danitta Ross, a real estate broker who used to live in Queens, with her son Sharif Mewa inside a home she is buying in Lithonia, Georgia.

----

10 Best Markets for an Affordable Home -- SmartMoney
JUNE 16, 2011, 1:55 P.M. ET
The Home Listing Report considers average listing prices of four-bedroom, two-bathroom homes on ColdwellBanker.com. The report looked at 2,300 markets in North America, analyzing properties listed between September 2010 and March 2011.

Some of the most affordable markets in the country are suffering with weak economies, and include Midwestern cities that never experienced very high housing prices during the boom but saw prices fall as their local economies deteriorated, said Jim Gillespie, CEO of Coldwell Banker Real Estate. Other affordable markets include areas of the country dealing with an overabundance of new housing supply.

Below are the most affordable housing markets, according to the report.

1. Niagara Falls, N.Y.

Niagara Falls, N.Y., is the most affordable market in the country, with listing prices of about $60,820 on a four-bedroom, two-bathroom home.

2. Riverdale, Ga.

Riverdale, Ga., is the second most affordable market, with listing prices on the average four-bedroom, two-bathroom home averaging $61,618. It's one of three cities on the top 10 list that is within 20 miles of Atlanta.

3. Coolidge, Ariz.

Coolidge, Ariz, home to the Casa Grande Ruins National Monument, is the third most affordable market on the list, with a four-bedroom, two-bathroom home averaging $69,083.

4. College Park, Ga.

College Park, Ga., is No. 4 on the most affordable list, with four-bedroom, two-bathroom homes listing for $72,477. It's the hometown of Ludacris and Monica, both R&B performers.

5. Detroit

Detroit, the automotive capital of America, is the fifth most affordable market, with the average four-bedroom, two-bathroom home listing for $73,363.

6. Hastings, Fla.

Hastings, Fla. is the sixth most affordable housing market, with the average four-bedroom, two-bathroom home listing for $74,910.

7. Cleveland, Ohio

Cleveland, Ohio, is home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It's also home to the seventh most affordable housing market, with four-bedroom, two-bathroom homes listing for $76,042.

8. Lithonia, Ga.

Lithonia, Ga. is the eighth most affordable market, with four-bedroom, two-bathroom homes listing for $77,385.

9. Trotwood, Ohio

The ninth most affordable market is Trotwood, Ohio, where four-bedroom, two-bathroom homes list for $77,445. Trotwood is located near Wolf Creek, a fishing destination.

10. Sioux City, Iowa

Sioux City, Iowa is the tenth most affordable housing market, with four-bedroom, two-bathroom homes listing for $80,152.

Don't we have a lot of Georgians here (and not just in this thread, but the forum in general)? I just moved down to Lithonia from Los Angeles about 2 1/2 years ago. While now may not be the best time to do this due to the the immigration flap, when the hell is the official Georgia-GAF thread going to go up?

We also need to show NYC-GAF how it's done with a possible meet up at some point. I'd host, but I'm still working on establishing myself. I should have a swanky condo set up before summer next year. :p

Mr. Patch

Lv99 Slacker said:
Don't we have a lot of Georgians here (and not just in this thread, but the forum in general)? I just moved down to Lithonia from Los Angeles about 2 1/2 years ago. While now may not be the best time to do this due to the the immigration flap, when the hell is the official Georgia-GAF thread going to go up?

Are there really a lot of Georgians on this forum? That's cool. I was raised in DeKalb County since I was 2 years old and consider myself a person from Lithonia. My family moved to Lithonia back in 98.

And on that note, I realize that I've never really introduced myself in this thread.

- Where you're from Lithonia, GA (Born in Tampa, FL)
- Where you live Tallahassee, FL (Attend FAMU)
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy Uh... most of my family is from FL, with some from AL.
- Do you know your roots? Not at all.
- Your Age 20
- Favorite musical genre Hip-Hop, but I really need to branch out.
- Your profession/major/career interest Journalism.
- Your religious affiliation Christian.
- Hobbies Gaming, Sports

DominoKid

interesting bit from an article on Shabazz Palaces

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-palaces--inside-avant-raps-soul-2302219.html

He devotes parts of the collective’s first album, Black Up, to attacking the ideals of Hot 97 FM-aired mainstream hip hop – over frothing un-choked cymbals and his signature plumbing bass he hisses at them: ‘I can’t believe we drove this far / and this is who you really are / It cut but it won’t leave a scar...The glimmer of this beach house cliché rap’s getting soft.’ Invective is delivered less hiss-pitch, more in the nasal purr that Digable Planets fans became to accustomed to from their main MC.

Ish is hanging out in his flat in Seattle when we speak watching the first week of Wimbledon. He explains his exasperation at the aspirations of the mainstream as follows: “If you’re making a rap song, which is a culturally African American thing, and you’re speaking about our cultural characteristics and you’re not doing that in a unique way – then that’s usury and I don’t respect that. What I’m talking about with those lyrics [‘All the priceless things that you sold...fiending after white things’] are the aspirations [amongst generic hip hop artists] – ok now you’re rich, and you take your kids to this and this schools, in this neighbourhood – I think you should continue in your own culture. Progress shouldn’t be measured by what another [white] culture is doing – ‘cause then you acquiesce to the fact that they’re better.”

On one of the classic tracks of the album, “Youlogy” Ish raps ‘caked up in fake blood’ over effects like rapid trauma ripples of a Han folk ballad from the East, over a deep interment organ from a charcoal id. This is leavened with grainy jazz brass, while Ish raps: ‘Nothing gonna stop it if it’s bound to turn a profit / ‘for this I let you do it, for this I let you watch it’.’ The song then separates into a stream of one-punch statements, with the dreary organs returning: ‘Things are looking blacker, but black is looking whiter.’

On the subject of black-white cultural paradigms, he continues – talking to me in a loose, retrospectively evasive way: “You see it with language – like a cat will come to a place – and he’ll be a meeting, and some white people will be there, maybe they’ll be executives – and he [the black guy] will say ‘Hey, I’m chillin’, how you doin’, how you livin’?’ And people will say ‘Hey! You don’t wanna talk like that in this setting!’ And why not? Who’s to say that this is not the correct way of doing things? It’s not being anti-white or anti-white culture – it’s just being realistic about what I think life should be about, that’s all.”

RedSwirl

Londa said:
The only people who fine that rasict are people who think natual black hair is ugly and needs to be covered with weave. People who hate their dark skin and wish they had skin like Beyonce.

I saw Chris Rock's movie Good Hair a little while ago and soon after came to mistrust almost every woman I had met up to that point, even my own mother.

Mononofu said:

I learned German a while ago but it's probably all gone to the wayside by now. I can still read it somewhat and understand individual words of spoken German.

ikkemenx

Mononofu said:

Do you have a link?

My first language is Somali, second is English, third French (I was in the french schooling system for a good ten years). I can read and write in Arabic but not understand too too much. I've studied Japanese for 3 years in high school and just finished my first year of university Japanese, registered for more courses this coming school year. :) I feel like my Japanese is decent, I was in Japan for a bit and was surprised with how much I managed to do. I find that now listening to music/watching anime/movies/dramas I can understand a good 70% of what is being said. Have to keep it up, though!

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Somali
Dutch
English
German
Russian
Arabic.
French.

I speak all of these. Some better than others. Others I can read, understand, but speech needs some work.

ikkemenx

Veidt said:
Somali
Dutch
English
German
Russian
Arabic.
French.

I speak all of these. Some better than others. Others I can read, understand, but speech needs some work.

SHIT! I got one-upped. :p Us Somalis are often polyglots.

Londa

Banned
Veidt said:
Somali
Dutch
English
German
Russian
Arabic.
French.

I am jealous of you.

Bleepey

Veidt said:
Somali
Dutch
English
German
Russian
Arabic.
French.

You were brought up in Holland weren't you? I don't know what's in the water in Holland and the Nordic countries but they all seem to speak 5 languages.

Veidt said:
Somali
Dutch
English
German
Russian
Arabic.
French.

rtruth3up6q.gif

I only speak English, and I can understand Haitian Creole and French. It always irked me that I could never speak Creole or French but I understood the language. Haitian kids used to pick on me for that shit.

DominoKid

i can only speak English.

my mom can speak Jamaican Patois...which is weird because AFAIK there's no Jamaicans in our family. i always figured she learned it in the Navy at one of the places she was stationed at.

Air

Banned
I learned a little japanese (got a 75 on the new york regents) I wish I took it more seriously since I run into so many japanese people. I'm gonna learn french and spanish one day and it'll be glorious

spindashing said:
http://h4.abload.de/img/rtruth3up6q.gif[IMG]
I only speak English, and I can understand Haitian Creole and French. It always irked me that I could never speak Creole or French but I understood the language. Haitian kids used to pick on me for that shit.[/QUOTE]

Eh my family assumes I can't speak Creole but when I'm at work or school, I can't shut up with it.

Urban Scholar said:
Eh my family assumes I can't speak Creole but when I'm at work or school, I can't shut up with it.
Haha.

You ever try READING Creole? It looks like a whole different language aside from a few select words. Both my mother and father who were born in Haiti still can't read it 100%.

Top Bottom