• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
spindashing said:
Haha.

You ever try READING Creole? It looks like a whole different language aside from a few select words. Both my mother and father who were born in Haiti still can't read it 100%.
As someone who speaks French, reading Haitian creole ain't that hard.

Kreyol is easy to read if you can read French.

Only thing is, a few words that would logically mean the same thing in French (because they have similar spelling/pronunciation) have different meanings in Kreyol.

...but it's like that in most languages, so whatever.

Also, what's Black-GAF doing tonight?
I'm closing out the weekend by cooking up dinner - some sesame ginger pork chops, spicy seasoned potatoes, and a salad to go with an ice-cold beer or three.

Then, I'm playing Sin and Punishment 2. Applaud me.

Air

Banned
captmcblack said:
I'm closing out the weekend by cooking up dinner - some sesame ginger pork chops, spicy seasoned potatoes, and a salad to go with an ice-cold beer or three.

Catching up on work, than watch true blood later. This has been my most active summer ever, but I've been enjoying it for the most part.

DominoKid

captmcblack said:

getting the taste of poorly seasoned ribs out of my mouth (thank you mom) with a bag of sour patch kids (thank you again mom) and wishing we had cable (thank you once more mom) so i could watch the BET Awards
she's batting .333 today.

i wasted so much time cooking the ribs only for them to be disgustingly salty.

Maybe I should clarify my opinion on reading Kreyol.

Unlike English where I could read a word an understand it, when I read Kreyol, I find myself having to say the words out loud in order to understand them.

As far as plans goes, I'm cleaning the house. My parents are getting back from vacation and I'd like to surprise them.

dankir said:
So that's what the Camp Lo - Uptown Saturday Night album cover is based on
Yep!

captmcblack said:

Only thing is, a few words that would logically mean the same thing in French (because they have similar spelling/pronunciation) have different meanings in Kreyol.

*applause*

probably going to do some chores, and hit the gym.

Also anyone watching the BET awards?

Blackhead

Redarse
I always wondered why there isn't a BET awards thread while there is a VMA thread. I didn't guess it was due to a lack of demand... BET is what it is, but there is always one or two moments worth watching every year. Kevin Hart hosting might be good, and it was great to see Anita Baker and Mary J Blige sing together. That's all the good stuff for tonight I guess

I'm watching the rest of East Coast throwdown 2011 via teamspooky. I wish I saw singles finales for SSFIV & Marvel. After this I'm playing SMT Strange Journey on my 3DS.

Londa

Banned
captmcblack said:

Drinking Tazo Tea and playing White Knight Chronicles while wondering why SE messed up so badly...

Londa said:
Drinking Tazo Tea and playing White Knight Chronicles while wondering why SE messed up so badly...

Oh madam, you'll be wondering forever. Just blame Wada, that's what I do! Serious note darn good tea right there.

spindashing said:
I took French in highschool so I could read it to some degree. I'd love to be able to speak French + Creole fluently, though.

Ernie Barnes.
Barnes-Sugar_Shack.jpg

He's most known for doing the art for the Good Times sitcom opening as well as doing the art for the Marvin Gaye, "I Want You" album (which is what I posted).
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

that explains the Strictly the Best 13 album cover!

PtXyJ.jpg

Greyface said:
I always wondered why there isn't a BET awards thread while there is a VMA thread. I didn't guess it was due to a lack of demand... BET is what it is, but there is always one or two moments worth watching every year. Kevin Hart hosting might be good, and it was great to see Anita Baker and Mary J Blige sing together. That's all the good stuff for tonight I guess

Kevin Hart is pretty much making fun of everyone. Also Keri Hilson <3

I've never actually sat through the BET awards before. I know who's going to win everything, but still for some reason I'm just enjoying this.

Londa

Banned
I'm laughing at how some people here actually are watching or tried to watch the BET Awards. It has never been anything worth watching since my teen years. SMH!

Londa said:
I'm laughing at how some people here actually are watching or tried to watch the BET Awards. It has never been anything worth watching since my teen years. SMH!

But Idris elba! he's doing a skit on stage with Jill scott

Greyface said:
there was a thread the year MJ died. it was ... AMAZING!!!

DominoKid

the BET Awards are stupid but its still entertaining. at least until 10pm when they start dickriding shit that aint been relevant in bout 25 years. then it gets good again at 10:55 for the closing performance.

The Faceless Master said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

that explains the Strictly the Best 13 album cover!

PtXyJ.jpg
same artist as

idUGaq.png

or cheap knock-off?

edit: lol, definitely a cheap knock-off. completely different painting style.

DominoKid said:
the BET Awards are stupid but its still entertaining. at least until 10pm when they start dickriding shit that aint been relevant in bout 25 years. then it gets good again at 10:55 for the closing performance.

They dickride before every nomination and after.

This Jill scott performance that's on is actually really really well done. I'm impressed. The show is either hit or miss.

speaking of which, Tracy Ross and Malcom Jamal Warner's new TV show could actually be very interesting.

ChocolateCupcakes said:
I guess most people will be shocked when they hear his British accent.

he hasn't been speaking with his british accent yet. I dont think he will.

Lebron

Londa said:
SMH you know you are questioning a graphic design student + intern? Shoo shoo you sound dumb.
Why did you reply to him twice? :p

I'd easily leave my lady for Idris. No questions asked.

The Faceless Master said:
there was a thread the year MJ died. it was ... AMAZING!!!

This thread was like a Proto Black Culture Thread.
I love seeing a lot of us in there discussing stuff.

...also, yeah - Idris Elba's swag is such where it cannot be denied. Just saying.

Speaking of Creole. My family is from there. When I was young, I used to speak it decently (not fluently nor did I read it), but as I got older and spent more time with American people and less with Haitian, my Creole got worse.

Well at 23, I got a job at a call center doing TTY for the hearing impaired. And because I was a Haitian American they put me on the Haitian TTY. I fondly remember one of the customers telling me I have the worst creole he'd ever saw. I felt but, since I'm the one communicating on their behalf.

As far as BET goes, I liked it a little more back in the 90s when it had different music video shows for varying genres (soul, hip-hop, pop, jazz), news, town hall shows, etc. But it's become such a pale shadow of what it once was.

Top Bottom