• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Dabanton

- Where you're from
UK

- Where you live
London

- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy
West indian but we have a loads of things mixed in along the way my great,great grandfather on my fathers side was white and from scotland like a lot of men some of them soliders sent to jamaica at that time he had relations with a black woman he stayed in Jamaica and brought some farmland. On my mothers side some east indian

- Do you know your roots?
My father is Jamaican and my mother is from barbados they met in london

- Your Age

- Favorite musical genre
I can honestly say i will listen to anything

- Your profession/major/career interest
Motion Graphics

- Your religious affiliation
Church of england

- Hobbies
Making movies,music,games of course

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

If we are talking from a games side then the people at my school were always into games it was an accepted thing same with Anime in fact i was there when 'Manga' started to really take off in the UK.

From a music culture angle It used to really bother me, seriously black kids coming up now who are into more 'alternative' stuff don't know the mockery that used to come with it. As i was into alternative music when i was 13 of course my peers at that time could never get their head around it. But i held strong and now don't give a fuck what people think.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Shanadeus said:
I've read a lot about how some african americans spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on trying to trace their genealogy back to some specific tribe in africa - and I, personally, just don't get it.

How exactly would your view of yourself and who you are change by knowing that your distant ancestors came from a specific place?

And usually the results are very often found to be incorrect, so you might be incorrectly identifying yourself as a Nandugk-tribe descendant - making me question why you'd place such importance on that in the first place.
I don't know anything about my roots other than my rare British last name. My dad was a bastard child and he was moved around a lot as a child too. My mom's side has never left NC. Still, I don't know anything about my heritage past 50 years or so. I couldn't see myself investing loads of many to see which boat my ancestors came in on, but I would at least like to know that I'm not a mutt.

I've always been envious of people who have a real culture/heritage to fall back on.

My views on the world wouldn't change now, but they'd certainly be affected if I were younger. It'd be nice to wake up one day and say that I'm part Kenyan or something rather than just Black.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
- Where you're from Atl, GA. son
- Where you live Atlanta, GA
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy I have no idea. I could pass for other races, but I am a black american. so, racially ambiguous. My last name is Grimes, if that helps
- Do you know your roots? No, not a clue.
- Your Age 27
- Favorite musical genre classic R&B and Soul music
- Your profession/major/career interest I'm Librarian
- Your religious affiliation I was born into the AME church, and still attend services, though not nearly as regularly, because of dwindling interest
- Hobbies I read a ton, as well as swim, draw, video games, baseball, working on cars, computers, and making the ladies swoon

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing

Barkely says a lot of things, and about 20% of is is important. I have a ton of nerdish tendicies, and most people don't even notice, or even care. They mesh so well with my personality, it'd be weird not to show them off. Nowadays, nerd is in, so that's even a plus. Growing up in the South, being a black nerd was rough, but I guess I grew into it -- I get way more complements these days for being myself, moreso than being a "nerd" (if that makes sense)

Greetings and salutations all.

- Where you're from

United States

- Where you live

Miami, Florida

Haitian background is all I can say for certain. Both my parents were born & raised in Haiti. My grandfather on my mom's side was half Japanese. I'd really like to know how that happened. Might even explain my little bias for Japanese games(kidding..partially). Other than that I think a large majority is Haitian & French in the pool there.

No but I know I have African & some Euro(French) connections. For some reason I believe I maybe related to Jean Jacques Rousseau.

- Your Age

- Favorite musical genre

I don't have anyone honestly but I'm a bit more partial on alternative rock & electronica.

I'm a full time English student & I also work a retail management job.
I just want to teach & write all day for the sake of discussion, I hope I can find or create a job for both.

I'd say Catholic on paper. I think a person is free to believe in something grand to help them in life really.

- Hobbies

Let's see read manga, fitness, play games, blog & does zoning out to music fall under this umbrella, crack jokes, & more writing.

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

Growing up yes I did more times than I liked. The thing about being a black nerd...is you're set with goals. All the guys I know not counting myself have get jobs & focus in life.

Often times at my job(selling games) the negative perception of gamers comes up & the above is thrown in together. Of course for some reason when they speak to me I'm the "exception" being clean cut & etc, etc...right. It's silly and nothing is wrong.

Acting white thing? We shouldn't perpetuate stereotypes set by society in my opinion just be you. In the predominantly black community I work in people often wonder why I speak in the manner I do. Not a job thing just a universal understanding thing.

- Where you're from
Ghana, Born in Casablanca, but Ghanaian to the bone
- Where you live
Live in Jersey City for school
Both Parents are Ghanaian. Quarter Fante, Rest is Ga. The Fante portion has been alleged to have some white blood in it due to an intermarriage way back when. I don't know how true it is but my last name is pretty damn English and not that Ghanaian
Yup, see above
- Your Age
- Favorite musical genre
Rap, but house, acid jazz and soul are also up there
Still in grad school but hoping to return to the Engineering field once i graduate
Christian (Anglican-African kind)
- Hobbies
Video games, comics, TV ... Unfortunately, thanks to the crazy nature of our TV situation and pre-broadband internet, i only really picked these up when i came to the US in 03.

Or better yet, who has actually decided to go on vacation there?

So many places you could go to if you visit. Ghana is awesome for different experiences. Some of the best food to be had. There's awesome places to go visit. Personal favorite is the Kakum Park.
Kakum%20National%20Park.654%20(Small).JPG

Those walkways are 90 feet above the ground and as you walk around they sway and leave you so terrified but then you look/ down and see the animals undisturbed in their habitat and it makes it all worth it.
The fusion of European, American, West African and Ghanaian pop culture also leads to some cool music as well as some weird out of context experiences.

Lebron

- Where you're from
United States

- Where you live
Indianapolis, Indiana.

Black? No idea about specifics, we can only trace back to America. I'm sure we have some mixes in there, but I don't know.

Africa?

- Your Age
20 something

- Favorite musical genre
Don't have one, mostly listen to Rock and Metal right now.

Forensic Chemistry/ Chemistry major, plan on working in a crime lab somewhere, hopefully dealing with explosives when I work my way up.

Raised Baptist, but I don't really assign myself to it anymore. I believe in a higher power, but rather that happens to be a God, or Gods, or some type of Ultimate Force, couldn't really care to be honest. I just live my life.

- Hobbies
Don't really have any that stand out

Barkley never won a championship, so no, he doesn't matter. It only irks me when I'm called white, or a sell-out by other black people since I may not listen to the same music or dress or act a certain way. I was raised in the suburbs, dumb fucks. Why the hell would I act like I was raised in the ghetto? But I don't really consider those people my brothers in arms, so I just keep on doing what I'm doing. Rather them hate me for being myself, than like me for acting to fit in.

Ducarmel

- Where you're from
Brooklyn, NY

- Where you live
Brooklyn, NY

Haitian, French background

As far as my great great grandparents on my Mother Side, and my great grandparents on my fathers side. Before that its Slavery and lost history before that.

- Your Age

- Favorite musical genre
Can't really pick one, if I have to Jazz!

Computer Science

Whatever I make up

- Hobbies
Games, movies, tv, computers, etc.

GCQuinton

- Where you're from Fayetteville, NC
- Where you live Raleigh, NC
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy Baltimore, MD and Albany, GA
- Your Age 27
- Favorite musical genre Rock
- Your profession/major/career interest Writing/Game Design - Worked for a ton of really small game sites/blogs and eventually landed a job at a mobile game studio where I wrote the script my first game. Working on a couple of comic book pitches now, too.
- Your religious affiliation Agnostic.
- Hobbies Games, TV, music, sports, comics

Himuro said:
So Spindashing, be careful.

I am so appalled at that, but I understand. :D I have my corporate suit on, I'll be civilized for the sake of this thread because I loved the last one, and this one has atleast an inkling of the feeling of a brother/sisterhood of the last one.

Where you're from Brooklyn, NY
Where you live Killa Queens, NY
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy My mother and father are from Haiti. I don't know much more than that. My last name, although French sounding, is based on another country in the Caribbean. I'd like to do an ancestry check on myself, for I know I'm not just "Haitian."
Do you know your roots? No, not other than my Haitian roots.
Your Age Twenty. About to turn Twenty-One next week.
Favorite musical genre My interests are all over the place. I can enjoy just about everything from MGMT to Dio to Nas to Florence + The Machine. I'd have to say my two favorite genres are Hip-Hop and Rock.
Your profession/major/career interest Pursuing a Bachelors in Economics. I'm to speak to my counselor about my future after that. I first thought about pursuing Law, but I honestly don't believe it would be the best financial decision at the moment.
Your religious affiliation Christianity. As of right now, I am struggling with my faith, but I do still believe.
Hobbies Videogames, Anime/Manga, Vintage Photography of the 70s/80s. I am a geek and proud of it.

Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

I'm so much of a nerd that I will note that the second sentence of the question is grammatically incorrect. The period has to go inside of the quotations. It's funny, because I was your archetypical nerd when I was younger. Real skinny, big hipster glasses, and a lack of a social life. My first day of school, during recess, the whole school saw me and my resemblance to Steve Urkel in Family Matters and started to chant "Urkel." That did not bother me at the time, but looking back I feel mortified. :lol I think when I was younger I really felt bad for being a nerd and not usually into what the "other kids" did. At this point, I don't give a damn. Either you hate me or you love me, I'm not going to try and sift through the "in-betweens." I've cut family members from my life under that mantra; I really do not want to coexist at all with people who will talk about me or my direct family behind my back with a fake smile.

Just be yourself. I hated who I was before, don't fall in to something like that. 2010 has been my happiest year looking back at the stuff I had to go through: breakups and bitchy ex-girlfriends. Do not keep an ex-girlfriend in your life at all. I've started to work out, I've lost 50 lbs, and I'm still going. I messed up my school grades too because of past mistakes/drama and I'm now heading for a bright future. Or atleast, I hope I am.

Thank you guys for at least coming to a decision with this all. It's going to be a change of pace, but at least we have some sort of outlet for the NegroGAFcommunity.

Sanjay

bishoptl said:
Do I know my roots? Jamaican, Scottish and some Jewish.

How many hours have you put into the Demoman is what we really want to know!

Also good read so far, some one needs to make a "The White Culture Thread" DO IT...

Here's a question I would like to know, how do black people feel when people reference black people as a whole as "blacks", instead of "black people". Is it derogatory?

Here are examples from this thread alone. I'm sure most were not meant in a derogatory way but has just become the norm.

It's just a Pet peeve of mine that I have come to notice.

Pinko Marx said:
Just throwin a bone out there, but white people stole rock from blacks.

Yeah.

-Eddman- said:
I just want to say thanks to the black people for being so influential in the music genres I like the most, like blues, jazz and rock.

It's sad that we don't get that many blacks doing rock these days. They were the ones who made it "edgy" in the first place, with a very wide range of emotions. I particularly hate the "blacks play bass" stereotype, because they were the original guitar heros, making huge contributions to the basic scales.

I would like to ask black people: How do you feel towards your place in music nowadays? If you like rock, can you recommend me some contemporary good bands and artists with black members?

Listen to this, Robert Randolph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5CALmf7ziQ

ReiGun said:
To answer your question, I've spent most of my life feeling like an outsider from other blacks because I didnt fit the mold of what other people thought "black" meant.

lightless_shado said:
One question that I want answered is how do blacks in america feel about Africa? how many here have actually visited the place? I've been too low on funds to visit, but I have been keeping up somewhat by perusing newspapers and talking to relatives in Nigeria. For the blacks living in the US that have managed to trace their roots, have you ever thought of visiting the area your ancestors might have come from?

tirminyl

Where you're from
Kansas City

Where you live
Overland Park

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy
Irish, Algonquin, possibly creole on fathers side

Do you know your roots?
Learning more and more

Your Age

Favorite musical genre
Rock, R&B, Alt

Your profession/major/career interest
Software Configuration, web development

Your religious affiliation
Raised baptist, no affiliation now

Hobbies
Reading, writing, working out, gaming, music, movies

Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork?

When I was growing up, yes. I got teased because I "talked white". I loved reading and writing and I dressed proper. So I was excluded and made fun of because I didn't fit in.

- Where you're from - George Town, Grand Cayman
- Where you live - Bronx/Buffalo but 90% of my time is spent in the Bronx.
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - My Mother is Jamaican and my father is Cayman.
- Do you know your roots? - On my mothers side I'm part Irish and Scottish but i don't know about my fathers side.
- Your Age - 27
- Favorite musical genre - I listen to a little of everything but mainly Hip Hop.
- Your profession/major/career interest - I'm a Supervisor at Costco, I have a BS in business administration with a double concentration in Marketing and Management. I recently started my own entertainment company branching out into different fields such as , Music, Movies, Modeling ect.
- Your religious affiliation - non-denominational
- Hobbies - Gaming, Movies, TV shows, Music, Sports.

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork?

I've never felt that way i guess its because i was a kind of a jock at the same time. i loved video games and technology but the same time i played football and basketball. Even from a young age i hung out with both groups of people.

harSon

Banned
- Where you're from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Homewood to be more specific, a run down predominantly black part of town.
- Where you live San Jose, CA typically but I live in Santa Cruz during the school year (I go to UC Santa Cruz).
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy I'll try and break this down: My dad's father is completely black as far as I know while his mother is Black and Creole (not exactly sure of what mixture), and my mom's father is half Sicilian/half Spanish and her mother is Japanese. So I'm Black, Creole, Spanish, Italian and Japanese...
- Do you know your roots? On the black side of my family? No clue. Everything else I listed above.
- Your Age 22
- Favorite musical genre Hip-Hop, particularly Old School and Underground. Reggae and R&B as well.
- Your profession/major/career interest English/Education Major and I should graduate with my BA after the next quarter. I want to become a teacher, and I'd love to teach at risk students/in an urban environment. I may get my MBA or PHD to become a Community College or University professor later, but I'm pretty thrilled about the before mentioned first.
- Your religious affiliation Agnostic. My father is the same, and I believe my mother is Christian. I was raised without religion, the only time I went to church from age 0-18 was for weddings and funerals...
- Hobbies Gaming (Not so much anymore), Sports, Writing (Short stories and screen writing), Reading, and Film.

-PXG-

- Where you're from

Central New Jersey

- Where you live

Central New Jersey

Mostly black, part Mexican and Choctaw

No

- Your Age

- Favorite musical genre

Hip-hop, electronic, jazz, R&B and blues.

I'm an artist. I do pretty much anything in the realm of 2D (illustration, graphic design, web design, UI design, industrial design, concept art, ect)

None at all. Don't believe in God/ any kind of higher being.

- Hobbies

Video games, art and music production/ collecting

- Where you're -Candor, NC
- Where you live- Orlando, FL
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy-American
- Do you know your roots? I'm supposedly like an 8th east indian, but there's some debate about that
- Your Age 30
- Your profession/major/career interest-Print Production/Sequential art/Cartooning
- Your religious affiliation-Christian
- Hobbies- Writing, making bad music, watching cartoons

Imm0rt4l

- Where you're from-Las Vegas,NV
- Where you live-St. Cloud, MN (I go to school here)
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy-Nigerian
- Do you know your roots?-yea, my family is yoruba
- Your Age-24
- Favorite musical genre-hip hop, but I listen to most everything
- Your profession/major/career interest-Aviation, particularly management
- Your religious affiliationAgnostic
- Hobbies video games, especially fighting games lately, some anime/manga(most is trash these days), weight lifting, rugby, drinking

- Where you're from: Army brat (grew up in NJ, Boston, MD....)
- Where you live Raleigh, NC
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Black and Portugese (just found out !)
- Do you know your roots? - I can trace back about 3 generations on my mothers side (Southern Blacks) and 2 on my fathers side (Portugese)
- Your Age - 40
- Favorite musical genre - hip-hop, Rn'B, Jazz, Blues.
- Your profession/major/career interest - i manage technical talent for a software company
- Your religious affiliation - raised Methodist, currently Agnostic. i think thats the first time I've ever acknowledged that
- Hobbies - Fitness, gaming of course and a million other things.

- Where you're from
Philadelphia, PA

- Where you live
Univ of Pittsburgh and Philly

Black

Mom's parents and many on here side are Jamaican, she and her sister are first gen American from her parents. My dad's side is American with some family in Alaska and abroad. Past that roots not really known.

- Your Age
20 on Nov 29th.

- Favorite musical genre
R&B

Studying Urban Planning, love transportation

Christian

- Hobbies
Photography, reading, electronics, computers, travel, not driving, cooking, video games

- Where you're from
New Orleans, Louisiana(United States)
- Where you live
Indianapolis, Indiana
Well black, and native American I know for sure. Cherokee to be exact, but almost all of us are right? lol I'm not too certain, but there may be some creole as well.
Not really. Really need to do more research.
- Your Age
- Favorite musical genre
hip-hop, old school r&b, rock, almost anything.
Computer information Technology
Christian
- Hobbies
Gaming, reading, drawing, computers, movies.

Not really. I never really had problems with it other than I talk "white". Which is kinda hard to do since I have a bit of a southern accent. lol. Can't say it's really bothered me though. I'm me dagnabbit! :D

Dreams-Visions said:
this thread lacks fun and entertainment value.
I think I will disregard the "format" set and just post what I think is relevant.

Seriously though is this not the best avatar ever?
5db94d6aff3e07ccaea03985595c805b8fbaa42aimage-png.png

LuCkymoON

Banned
- Where you're from
Born in Texas, raised in California
- Where you live
Dallas, TX
I am a Multi-Generational Mulatto (3rd gen)
Yes
- Your Age
- Favorite musical genre
Electronic (all of it)
I care more about the melody and harmonics than the language that the song is in.
Information Technology
Agnostic
- Hobbies
Electronics, Anime/Manga, building stuff and a general interest in Chinese, Korean & Japanese culture.

Totally; I was teased and bullied a lot in elementary school in Texas for being nerdy, "talking white" and looking very different from any other child in the school. One girl went as far as telling me in front of the entire class that I was a "white boy" stuck in a "black boys" body. What I was, was something I never thought about up until that point.

Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words,
It's a silly comment because I feel a nerd is simply someone who is totally into their hobby or life's work and may know more about it than anyone else. I'm sure Charles would have also called Tiger Woods a nerd when they were children.

and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

A sad mentality left over from the days of slavery when Blacks were taught it was wrong to be knowledgeable. It is really unfortunate how many ingrained mental conditions of the slavery era still plague Black America today. Small things that may seem like unrelated stereotypes or urban myths hinder Black America's ability compete with other Americans.

- Where you're from: Dallas, TX.
- Where you live: Dallas...well technically Lewisville, TX., but no one knows where the hell that is
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy: Mother is Jamaican, Dad is...well he a light skinded black dude
- Do you know your roots? beyond the above, nope. Thinking about looking more into it.
- Your Age: 28
- Favorite musical genre: Hip-hop
- Your profession/major/career interest: level designer (I can actually say that here and have people know what it means, haha)
- Your religious affiliation: none at all. I'm the athiest of atheists. Like probably most black folks I was "raised Christian".
- Hobbies: games, rhyming, live music, reading, movies, basic shit like that

I used to when I was much younger, but I guess it's one of those "the older you get, the less you give a fuck" type of things. Plus I sort of get paid for being a "nerd" so whatever. The whole "act white" thing is annoying, and only reinforces that the dominant group is always "right" while everyone else is "wrong". That said, I can code switch like a pro, so I can get my chameleon on in any environment!

Dreams-Visions said:
http://www.defjamrapstar.com/community/video/1177/BenjaminsBaby

edit: two posts in a row, black Dallas GAF represent? hah

LuCkymoON said:
- Where you're from
Born in Texas, raised in California
- Where you live
Dallas, TX
I am a Multi-Generational Mulatto (3rd gen)
Yes
- Your Age
- Favorite musical genre
Electronic (all of it)
I care more about the melody and harmonics than the language that the song is in.
Information Technology
Agnostic
- Hobbies
Electronics, Anime/Manga, building stuff and a general interest in Chinese, Korean & Japanese culture.

Totally; I was teased and bullied a lot in elementary school in Texas for being nerdy, "talking white" and looking very different from any other child in the school. One girl went as far as telling me in front of the entire class that I was a "white boy" stuck in a "black boys" body. What I was, was something I never thought about up until that point.

Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words,
It's a silly comment because I feel a nerd is simply someone who is totally into their hobby or life's work and may know more about it than anyone else. I'm sure Charles would have also called Tiger Woods a nerd when they were children.

and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

A sad mentality left over from the days of slavery when Blacks were taught it was wrong to be knowledgeable. It is really unfortunate how many ingrained mental conditions of the slavery era still plague Black America today. Small things that may seem like unrelated stereotypes or urban myths hinder Black America's ability compete with other Americans.

Skinny mixed kid named Eldrick that was into golf? Damn right he was, is and got treated like a nerd in school.

Where you're from - South Africa
- Where you live - Port Elizabeth - South Africa
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - I'm xhosa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xhosa if you go further into it I'm thembu http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thembu
- Do you know your roots? - ^^ just about covers me
- Your Age - 26
- Favorite musical genre - Deep house, hip-hop, rock,
- Your profession/major/career interest - Pc technician
- Your religious affiliation - raised methodist could'nt really be bothered these days,
- Hobbies wine women and song :lol

harSon

Banned
Rayven_king said:
Where you're from - South Africa
- Where you live - Port Elizabeth - South Africa
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - I'm xhosa http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xhosa if you go further into it I'm thembu http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thembu
- Do you know your roots? - ^^ just about covers me
- Your Age - 26
- Favorite musical genre - Deep house, hip-hop, rock,
- Your profession/major/career interest - Pc technician
- Your religious affiliation - raised methodist could'nt really be bothered these days,
- Hobbies wine women and song :lol

Awesome, you're pretty much a clone of my stepfather... except significantly younger :p

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
- Where you're from - Akron, OH
- Where you live - Akron, OH
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - dunno
- Do you know your roots? -nope
- Your Age - 28
- Favorite musical genre - Hip-Hop, followed closely by Trip-Hop
- Your profession/major/career interest - I have an Associates Degree in the Culinary Arts, but I'm currently working as an after school tutor
- Your religious affiliation - Christianity
- Hobbies - Gaming, Sports (NFL, NBA), Martial Arts, Anime

Dreams-Visions said:

hmmm. no good ideas on how to fix yet.
Fill out the FAQ, sir.

Nope. There's nothing worst than a black person who feels they need to be ignorant to be considered "black".

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Dreams-Visions said:

hmmm. no good ideas on how to fix yet.
I think everyone is scared of the man. No one wants this thread shut down too. :lol

LuCkymoON

Banned
Mutanthands said:
Some of my favorite rock bands with black members:

King's X
Sevendust
Fishbone
24-7 Spyz
Depeche Mode (yes, one of them is half African American. Guess who?)

In the "know your history" section:
Love
Jimi Hendrix Experience and Band of Gypsys
Funkadelic
Eddie Hazel
Skunk Anansie
Nona Hendryx

Place in music: hard to say. If you stick with the major labels, you have this 'role' that you have to fulfill, hip-hop or soul. Get beyond that, and there is a lot more freedom to define your own sound.

Don't forget about Super 8!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qdMlBEt_gw
Even tho they did not fare well in the music industry they had an amazing album.

bart jr

Neo Member
Where you're from
Dayton, OH
- Where you live
Columbus, OH
My dad's side came from Mississippi, but my mom's side is a mix of German, Irish, and Indian. I was told that I am a distant relative of Leif Ericson but who knows.
Not as much as I'd like
- Your Age
- Favorite musical genre
Hardcore/punk and hip-hop/old school r&b. As cliche as it sounds, I enjoy all genres.
IT. I currently work in Computer Operations but went to school for Network Administration.
My family is Christian, but I'm not a religious person myself.
- Hobbies
Gaming, playing music, buying records, sports(football and MMA in particular), board games.

It's weird, because some days it doesn't bother me at all but then there are some times a person makes a comment and it's the type of shit that'll put me in a bad mood the rest of the day. The older Ive gotten the less I care, but I think it bothers me more when a black person makes that comment because it's like 'what, am I not living up to some sort of expectations or standard that YOU'VE set for the black community?'. When a white friend makes a joke about me 'acting white', it's usually something I can just laugh off or disregard. Maybe I'm wrong for reacting differently to each, but to ME, I take it more as a direct jab when it comes from a black person. But when it comes from a white friend of mine, I see it as a 'oh hey, you don't act at all like the stereotypes that are out there'.

Moving on...

Bad Brains were extremely influential in the early punk/hardcore movement.

Here's a short clip of them performing at CBGB's in 1982:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xve8Wa114cY&feature=fvw

Another band from the late 80's is Absolution. Here is a video from a reunion show of their's a couple years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0362KWkZ82Q

Also if interested in other hardcore/punk bands, check out Burn(the singer then went on to do Orange9mm). As far as more recent stuff, we have Candiria, who do a great job of mixing jazz/metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff2ync9k918

And lastly, God Forbid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evIw3Ulm4VU

Sorry for the long post. I lurk NeoGAF a bunch but rarely contribute, so I was just trying to change that.

Himuro said:
What exactly is 'black culture'? I'd like to find out. Whether it's American, Canadian, British, Caribbean, African, whatever. I want to know, dammit. The black experience is not one monogamous culture and that was reflected in the past thread.
I think the word you're looking for here is monolithic.

DY_nasty said:
I want to like them. Its just a pain because once you've seen one it feels like you've seen them all. I can only watch one strong black intelligent beautiful independent black woman get held down by a selfish, unloving man so many times before it gets old. He's got a formula and it works. Can't get mad at that really though...
Cool. I'm not black, but I only asked because I took lots of classes in African American studies (I was about 2 courses short of a minor) at my Uni. We had this discussion on Tyler Perry and it seemed like the class was split 50-50, even though the class was made up whites, blacks and asians. There was this point made by one person which was memorable. He asked at what point will you sacrifice your culture for money? I guess the answer is for whatever amount. You will always have people playing the most steretypical, borderline racist guy in movies that set his or her race back by a generation. For example, stereotypical arabs are all the rage these days. I was listening to World View on Chicago public radio recently, and the lady on the show said the exact same thing. Good listen. The lady is a media analyst expert.

ampere

Pinko Marx said:
Just throwin a bone out there, but white people stole rock from blacks.

Yeah.
Comments like this are slightly justified when we remember a god among men.
Realistically rock doesn't belong to any race

Anyone who has never been experienced should check out all of his work.

Feels like a visit to the doctors office in this bitch.

- Where you're from
Grand rapids, MI
- Where you live
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm black *shrugs*
not at all
- Your Age
- Favorite musical genre
Hip-Hop
Music Production
Decline to elaborate
- Hobbies
Music Production, Nightlife, Turbocharged imports from the 90's, Traveling, Women, GAF, and much more.

Absolutely not. I'm from "the hood", seen the violence, been involved, brother sold crack, brought gang friends around etc. I had a choice, I exercised my desire to not engage in that kind of behavior. I don't feel the "black nerd" stereotype is applicable to me as I've experienced both ends of the spectrum without disassociating myself from my "culture" I use the word "nigga" amongst my friends on a regular basis, yet I'm more than capable of holding my weight intellectually.

I think Charles Barkley had an inaccurate and grossly irresponsible correlation between intelligence and ethnicity. I do think though, his statement was partially influenced by how frustratingly polarized intelligence can SEEM within the black community.

Stereotypes unfortunately while anecdotal, can be based in a semblance of the truth. Let's face it, most dudes using "know what I'm sayin" "what's good" etc, aren't likely to be highly intelligent. It's much more efficient to identify that kind of consistent social pattern within a "type" (despite anomalous variables), and associate it with a general lack of intelligence than it is to assert that not every slang using, doo-rag wearing, black man with an overcompensating husky voice tone lacks sufficient intelligence.

We're finally approaching an era where blacks who don't quite fit any stereotype are becoming visible. I don't mean superstars, I mean everyday folks who are able to connect and express their diversity. Charles is from the old school, where opportunity was heavily stifled and resentment for those who were fortunate, or assertive enough to attain those positions hard to reach for blacks was easier to understand.

- Where you're from Chicago, IL
- Where you live Chicago, IL
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy Pretty sure all of my old relatives came from Mississippi
- Do you know your roots? Nope
- Your Age 27
- Favorite musical genre Hip Hop, but will listen to mostly anything
- Your profession/major/career interest Computer...stuff, I haven't locked this down yet, sad I know
- Your religious affiliation Raised Baptist, no longer interested in religion
- Hobbies Gaming, sports, anime

I was never criticized because of my hobbies/interests, but I sometimes felt some insecurities about myself. My room is geek heaven and no visitors of any sex have gone running (yet).

Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

I like Barkley, and he says dumb stuff all of the time. I don't really understand the context of this quote though. As far as acting white, in some areas I could probably be accused of this, but thankfully I've never had to deal with it. I've hung out with some very hood people and got along great while being myself. It upsets me every time I hear about the accusation on the news/in the media though.

This one time while I was in Black Camp....

soundahfekz said:
Feels like a visit to the doctors office in this bitch.

no shit, some turn on some music and pour everyone a drink.
It's time to loosen up a little.

WOOTY

BlackNMild2k1 said:
This one time while I was in Black Camp....

no shit, some turn on some music and pour everyone a drink.
It's time to loosen up a little.

WOOTY
The man has placed limitations on our behavior. We cannot be as vocal as we'd like to be, but at least we still have each other and we at least have some form of an outlet around here.

Quoting Eban of the Lost Poets, "N*ggas never die." It is uncomfortable at the moment, but our voice won't die.

I'm hoping to learn some more from this thread, as I've picked things up from it's previous iteration as well as the related race/sexuality threads.

I'd love to let loose here, but this is something I'd like to see preserved and not banned.

Sanjay said:
Here's a question I would like to know, how do black people feel when people reference black people as a whole as "blacks", instead of "black people". Is it derogatory?

It is simply a matter of efficiency. Most people know you mean 'black people' when you say or right 'blacks'. Its better than having to write "black people" every time.

How do you all feel about holidays like black history month? are they divisive in that they further emphasize differences within people in america? I haven't really picked up a recent american high school text book, but I feel that the acomplishments of black people in america and their history as well as pre-colonial africans should be taught alongside European and american history when we have a class called "history" or "social studies"

Walshicus

I kind of mentioned this in the merged megathreads, but how can there be a meaningful "black culture" when the group as defined contains hundreds [thousands?] of nationalities across every inhabited continent?

sangreal

Sanjay said:

Never really though about it, but I guess it doesn't bother me. I always say black people -- African-American annoys me.

Nice thread Himuro. Got to say that I appreciate the interest from gaffers of other races too; good opportunity to show that "black culture" is not monolithic.

- Where you're from
East TN

- Where you live
Tampa, FL

Son of a black MD dad(miami) and high school educated mother (east TN), both black

Nope. Plan to put some money into this when I have a stash though.

- Your Age

- Favorite musical genre
I buy more Hip Hop than anything else, though my interests are all over (soul/folk/jazz get honorable mentions)

Just completed a MS in Fin. Applying to law school for next year. Want to do Corporate law for a season, and then build a foundation centered on income inequality.

Christian.

- Hobbies
Reading political works, following policy, video games to a declining extent, and philosophical debates.[/B]

I wonder if Barkley's white wife agrees with that sentiment? (NO, I don't have an issue with interracial dating, I just find it funny when the gatekeepers to blackness are often married/involved with white/asian women.)

Interest in geeky stuff is often a good sign for intellectual curiosity. I believe if black kids got a little negative attention for that sort of thing, they would feel greater empowerment to excel in school. I never really felt personally ostracized, but I am very self aware; so navigating the worlds of popularity/geekdom and black/white were minor annoyances but never really a problem up till high school. College was great, because I was surrounded by a lot a black students who were driven and just wanting to be themselves, so that was refreshing. But I could speak at length on how I think the over enthusiasm towards sports in the black community depresses academic achievement...

sangreal

Sir Fragula said:
I kind of mentioned this in the merged megathreads, but how can there be a meaningful "black culture" when the group as defined contains hundreds [thousands?] of nationalities across every inhabited continent?

You can ask that question about any group. How can there be a meaningful "american culture" when the group as defined contains 300 million people of different backgrounds across 50 states? There are tons of subcultures within the country, but that doesn't mean there is no "american culture." Separate nationalities doesn't mean being isolated from each other or that we don't share common roots/history.

If nothing else, we all share the problem of trying to style nappy hair.

Top Bottom