• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

- Where you're from
Bahamas
- Where you live
well currently i'm at college in New York State but i normally live in Nassau,Bahamas
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy
Mostly Bahamian,some british and american don't know anything further back than those
- Do you know your roots?
I don't really know my roots beyond what i learnt in history class
- Your Age
17 gonna be 18 real soon
- Favorite musical genre
rock i suppose
- Your profession/major/career interest
Civil Engineering
- Your religious affiliation
Christian
- Hobbies
Video Games, reading, exercise, anime and manga

Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

I don't necessarily feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork, i've managed to make friends just fine who share similar interests. I disagree with those words of Mr.Barkley in my opinion there is actually nothing sadder than people trying to fit in and conform instead of trying to be themselves. As for the whole "act white" thing i just smh when i hear people say that, designating how people should act based on ethnicity, i feel is kinda ignorant .

Walshicus

sangreal said:
You can ask that question about any group. How can there be a meaningful "american culture" when the group as defined contains 300 million people of different backgrounds across 50 states? There are tons of subcultures within the country, but that doesn't mean there is no "american culture."
Yes, but what does a black American in New York have in common culturally with a Zimbabwean farmer. We're not talking about sub-cultures there, we're talking about completely different psychologies and identities.

Is "black culture" not just an Americanism?

If nothing else, we all share the problem of trying to style nappy hair.
:lol

lordmrw

- Where you're from: Providence, RI
- Where you live: Providence, RI
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy: Both parents are Liberian
- Do you know your roots?: Not so much beyond what my parents have taught me
- Your Age: 30
- Favorite musical genre: hip hop, R & B a close second
- Your profession/major/career interest: Graphic Design
- Your religious affiliation: I don't practice any religion
- Hobbies gaming, anime, drawing, TV, reading, occasionally I'll watch a football or basketball game but I wouldn't qualify myself as a sports fan.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The Faceless Master said:
Chuck is just oldschool, his kind will be gone in a few decades.
I feel kind of weird about it. On one hand, there's a definite disconnect between generations and I'm interested to see what all this generation will do on its own. On the other... the old heads seem like the only ones talking any sense at times (even though they spit just as much crazy shit too).

- Where you're from Jamaica
- Where you live Mississauga, Ontario
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy All black, Jamaican family.
- Do you know your roots? Nope. My two alive grandparents would though, especially my grandmother...she seems to know everything about our family history.
- Your Age
- Favorite musical genre
*scrolls through ipod* Hip-hop, trip-hop, electronic, downtempo, soundtracks(game, movies etc.)...I tend to listen to music in those genres
I studied Illustration in college, currently working as a graphic designer
Christian. Though I'm not officially Christian my self(wasn't baptized)and I'm not really devoted Church goer or anything
- Hobbies
Computer, drawing, reading, Collecting(art books mostly), video games, anime

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

Nope. Since I started high-school I learn to embraced my nerdy/geekyness. Even so, I never felt like an outsider amongst my black friends...even some of my black friends were into geek stuff as well. I have have a pretty diverse group of friends.

Akainu

- Where you're from Florida
- Where you live ...Florida
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy ...Black American
- Do you know your roots? umm...Virginian?
- Your Age 23
- Favorite musical genre Anything that sounds good i.e jpop/rock, rock, oldies, classical etc.
- Your profession/major/career interest Criminal Justice
- Your religious affiliation None
- Hobbies Sleeping, playing games, eating, exercising, being alone

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

Not really. Who?
j/k
Don't care. Does acting white mean not going to jail, not getting in trouble, not having pants hang off ass?

Master Z

- Where you're from: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Where you live: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada :(
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy: Father: African (American) Mother: Polish
- Your Age: 32
- Favorite musical genre(s): Hip Hop, old school (60's-70's) RnB, Soul, Funk, - Classic Rock and dramatic film scores
- Your profession/major/career interest: Film making (writer, director, DP)
- Your religious affiliation: Raised Roman Catholic but now Agnostic
- Hobbies: Reading, writing, gaming, music production, sports and watching movies

And to comment on that Barkley quote...he can suck my nuts. Really there's nothing sadder than people who wallow in ignorance and perpetuate stereotypes. Although I could be classified as "nerdy" I've never really had any major issues with it growing up. Probably because I made that shit look cool. :p

Back in 1993 I spearheaded the concept behind a rap group named Fist Of The North Star. lol I showed my homies the movie and they tripped out. Then I showed them Akira and minds were blown. Perhaps the other reason why I never really got called out for my "nerdom" was because I just blended in so damn well. I am well versed in street slang but I can switch to standard english like flipping a light switch. It probably also helped that my nerd side wasn't instantly apparent...no anime t-shirts and whatnot. lol

But yeah, beneath the surface I am "nerdy" as fuck. My favorite genre of video game was and still is the RPG....come to think of it I don't know how the fuck I got one of my homies to play through Secret Of Mana with me over a long weekend. lol As for the "acting white" thing ironically I've been accused of that by more white people than blacks. I have a cool, laid back demeanor with a good (sometimes twisted) sense of humor so my response to that was either "Well, I AM half white." Or "Stop acting dumb." Something like that, it's been a while...

sangreal

Master Z said:
And to comment on that Barkley quote...he can suck my nuts. Really there's nothing sadder than people who wallow in ignorance and perpetuate stereotypes

Just so we are clear, it was a SNL sketch.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
- Where you're fromPort-au-Prince, Haiti(born in Brooklyn though)
- Where you live - Brooklyn, NY
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Haitian
- Do you know your roots? - just up to my great gran mother.
- Your Age - 28
- Favorite musical genre - Hip Hop occupies most of my music collection, but my taste stooopid diverse.
- Your profession/major/career interest - Illustrator
- Your religious affiliation - Catholic, but lol
- Hobbies - videya games, drawing, movies, politics, music n party

- Where you're from Teaneck NJ

- Where you live Lodi NJ

- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy African American

- Do you know your roots? Great Great Grandmother was Cherokee, on my mothers side, On my Fathers side he traced his lineage back to a Dutch Merchant Marine in the 1800's

- Your Age 29 (30 in January)
el41.gif

- Favorite musical genre I listen to everything but country

- Your profession/major/career interest Retail Manager, BA Business Management

- Your religious affiliation Agnostic

- Hobbies Drawing, (Not so much anymore because I originally went to school for Architecture and it burnt me out on my desire to draw in my free time.)

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words
No, Im a Big Dude and most of my time in school people didn't mess with me because I give off a dont fuck with me vibe, but its a front. Im like a turtle a hard exterior but im a nice guy once you get to know me. So I got to do my nerdy things without being taunted.

But I do get pissed when someone says I talk white. My parents were both Ivy League educated (Father- Colombia, Mother- Princeton) and they drilled into me the need to use correct grammar. How I speak doesn't qualify my blackness.

Lebron

Master Z said:
Well then, I take back what I said to Mr. Barkely. Thanks for providing the context for that quote Himuro. :lol
Well Barkely says enough stupid shit on his own, so I naturally don't take anything he says serious.

- Where you're from-Los Angeles, CA
- Where you live- Spokane, WA
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy- both parents are white and Jewish. Wife is black and daughter is obviously mixed.
- Do you know your roots?- I know a bit about my ancestors up to my great grandfather
- Your Age-30
- Favorite musical genre- Don't have favorite genre but enjoy older R&B, Rock, 80s music
- Your profession/major/career interest- Eventually would like to teach high school U.S. history OR be a Bible teacher at a more progressive type of church
- Your religious affiliation- I suppose Christian but I'd say I'm an agnostic theist
- Hobbies- games, spending time with wife and 2 year old daughter. Watching and playing sports, P90x, exploring my surroundings

Hope its ok I'm posting here.

Byakuya769 said:
Nice thread Himuro. Got to say that I appreciate the interest from gaffers of other races too; good opportunity to show that "black culture" is not monolithic.

- Where you're from
East TN

- Where you live
Tampa, FL

Tampa represent!!!!

Lebron

LovingSteam said:
Hope its ok I'm posting here.
Haha, it's fine. I would have asked about your experience being in an interracial relationship, but I don't know if that can be talked about in here. I'm in one too(been in a lot) currently, and was just curious about others experiences. Don't know if that would require a new thread or not :p

Lebron said:
Haha, it's fine. I would have asked about your experience being in an interracial relationship, but I don't know if that can be talked about in here. I'm in one too(been in a lot) currently, and was just curious about others experiences. Don't know if that would require a new thread or not :p

LOL. I don't mind answering your questions.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Hey BlackGAF!
Why are the Black-American youth throwing away what their ancestors proudly created or helped create?
Specifically I mean things like Rock and House music and even whole instruments like the banjo, now a day’s these things are regarded as being white.

mil6es

Hey black gaf!!!!!

- Where you're from South London, UK
- Where you live South London, UK
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy Jamaican
- Your Age 24
- Favorite musical genre All Genre's
- Your profession/major/career interest Junior Accountant
- Your religious affiliation Christian but dont really practice
- Hobbies Games

sangreal said:
Never really though about it, but I guess it doesn't bother me. I always say black people -- African-American annoys me.

You know, one could even argue that African-American is still a sort of racist term. It implies that you're an African first and an american second and your stay in the country is temporary/unnecessary.

LuCkymoON said:
Hey BlackGAF!
Why are the Black-American youth throwing away what their ancestors proudly created or helped create?
Specifically I mean things like Rock and House music and even whole instruments like the banjo, now a day’s these things are regarded as being white.
Those genres once taken over by many white artists became so modified that they became unrecognizable. Its sort of like how whenever black people in the US make up slang that is then adopted by other people and used so much that it no longer becomes something blacks identify with. (See bling and in da house)

It is possible though for blacks to share genres with whites in music. In fact I believe Justin Bieber and Timberlake were both nominated for BET awards, and Eminem has made it as a serious rapper.

sangreal said:
Never really though about it, but I guess it doesn't bother me. I always say black people -- African-American annoys me.

Me too I can't stand that term. its just another way to call a dark skin person second class.

- Where you're from: ST. Croix
- Where you live : Miami
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy: Dutch, French,African etc etc
- Do you know your roots?: My Family tree goes back to west Africa Ghana.
- Favorite musical genre: rock, Rap, Classical, Country, Jazz or anything with good harmony
- Your religious affiliation: I'm not religious but I've been reading up on kabbalah
- Hobbies: Sleep

Baby Milo said:
:lol the fuck are you talking about

they are plenty of blacks who make and listen to both

I know what she means though. Right now its a little more diverse, but it hasn't always been this way, just like 6 or so years ago, anything Rock was considered "white people music". Its only just recently that I feel like rock is a little more acceptable amongst blacks.

Baby Milo

Pinko Marx said:
I know what she means though. Right now its a little more diverse, but it hasn't always been this way, just like 6 or so years ago, anything Rock was considered "white people music". Its only just recently that I feel like rock is a little more acceptable amongst blacks.
I guess

i don't think house music has ever been hurting for black listeners and producers though

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Growing up, I always loved some rock music, but I hid it from my surroundings.

Smells Like Teen Spirit was incredible. So was Song 2.

I'm not even ashamed of it. Any little thing could get you fucked with, where I grew up, and rock music was on that list. That sucks, but it was the reality at that time.

K.Jack said:
Growing up, I always loved some rock music, but I hid it from my surroundings.

Smells Like Teen Spirit was incredible. So was Song 2.

I'm not even ashamed of it. Any little thing could get you fucked with, where I grew up, and rock music was on that list. That sucks, but it was the reality at that time.

Based on my friends, I had such a wide variety of exposure to various music growing up.

AiC, Metallica, Pantera, Prodigy, etc. got major play for me in my younger years.

- Where you're from Philadelphia. Born in southwest, quickly moved to the burbs right outside the city when I was two.
- Where you live Still In the city now (I love the city more than ANYYYTHING) , off the waterfront where the hipsters are
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy Moms side of the family has a pretty large farm in rural north carolina where they (used to) grow tobacco for a couple generations. It's still there, but no one farms anymore. Dad's side? no clue. He doesn't really talk about it. As far as anyone knows, I'm standard african american with a sprinkling of native american and irish here and there.
Do you know your roots? yup.
Your Age 31
Favorite musical genre I didn't really get into music until I was in high school- I still have a soft spot for early 90s rock (soundgarden, pearl jam, nirvana, some countdown to extinction era megadeth) and still play the hell out of it on rockband, but my one true love is electronic music.
Your profession/major/career interest I prefer not to name my employer, but I've worked in some aspect of sales and business for a good while now.
Your religious affiliation Atheist and very serious about it. My GF is catholic, her parents are quite nervous about it.
Hobbies I used to do a lot of martial arts, now I just run and lift. I've been a gamer since the first time my dad brought home an intellivision II back in 1984. I've got an impressive gaming library (to casuals), but it's fairly modest by GAF standards. I used to go nightclubbing and dancing ALL THE TIME. Not so much since my GF is living with me though.

Since we're on a gaming forum, it could be conclusive that you're more on the geeky side so let's start with a more general question:

It was bad in primary school and high school, no doubt. A crippling case of ADD didn't help things. As I got older it's less of an issue- haven't had a problem finding dates since I was 17. Don Glover had a comedy bit about black nerds- it used to conjure up a lot of "urkel" images and whatnot, but I think we're more common now.

Ronin

- Where you're from
Lawton, OK
- Where you live
Atlanta, GA
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy
I know theres some German coming from my dad's side...
- Do you know your roots?
Uhhh...
- Your Age
- Favorite musical genre
Metal and punk are my favorites, but I pretty much listen to anything.
Still figuring this shit out. I know...
None
- Hobbies
Video games, comics, bass guitar (I suck but its fun), Sports (MMA mainly), drawing, spacing out.

This thread is hurting my eyes. Can we please stop the roll call now?

Black Culture GAF *long sighs in the background*, is gangsta rap music, (I'm talkin gucci, flaka, etc) detrimental to the potential prosperity of our youth?

soundahfekz said:

Black Culture GAF *long sighs in the background*, is gangsta rap music, (I'm talkin gucci, flaka, etc) detrimental to the potential prosperity of our youth?

There are a lot of things I disagree with in mainstream black culture, but it should be obvious that the music and entertainment are indicators/reflections of more serious issues, and not the root cause.

DY_nasty

Homecomings are coming up. I'm not really that into parties, but I'll be at NCCU for the girls outreach and community.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
soundahfekz said:

The worse issues is that so many kids feel that they have nothing to look forward to, other than getting their first chain.

Let's answer why we've become so shortsighted.
fuzzyreactor said:
No offense, but what a boring thread. Guess it suits black culture.
Please be joking.

weepy

- Where you're from Los Angeles, CA
- Where you live Reseda, CA
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy Misc. I think Louisiana and Oklahoma.
- Your Age 25
- Favorite musical genre Hip-Hop/R&B/Dancehall
- Your profession/major/career interest Store Front Checker/Bachelor in Journalism, concentration in English.
- Your religious affiliation Raised Baptist, currently Deist/agnostic.
- Hobbies Gaming, Drawing, Reading, Sports, and family.

K.Jack said:
The worse issues is that so many kids feel that they have nothing to look forward to, other than getting their first chain.

Let's answer why we've become so shortsighted.

I think you're on to it. When poor (American) blacks think "success", the most reasonable paths to it seem to be-

1.) Becoming an Athlete
2.) Becoming an Entertainer

There's no shortage of blacks in either area- we're ridiculously overrepresented in both fields: When I talk to someone from overseas, they're frequently surprised to find out we're only about 12% of the population.

Where I live (Philly) there's something insane like a 43% dropout rate among high school kids here. 43%. Black culture simply doesn't push education as the only road to success as it should. #1 and #2 above are seen as attainable roads to wealth and respect. studying to become a mathematician or chemist? not so much.

What happens to that 43% or so (yes, I'm aware they're not all black kids that drop out, but roll with it for the sake of argument) that never finish? We end up with high crime rates as that 43% without even a high school education are basically unemployable, and those unemployables typically end up having kids early without the ability or resources to see their children succeed, and the cycle perpetuates.

Imm0rt4l said:
I'm guessing you didn't read the awesome thread that was closed.

Hush, we do not speak of those days. Spindashing's mournful groans of agony shall deafen us all.

Which reminds me, where do many Black mothers get the inspiration to name their children? my mother always tells me that most american names these days have no meaning, but especially those that young black people give their children.

I find it pretty ironic that while we've moved past the days of this, we have people trying to give their children African sounding names without doing enough research.

DY_nasty

Imm0rt4l said:
I'm guessing you didn't read the awesome thread that was closed.
I've been digging through that mess for 2 hours now... shit is gone :lol . I can barely make sense of anything in there.
fuzzyreactor said:
no, blow me
I bet you feel like a real boy now.

lightless_shado said:
Hush, we do not speak of those days. Spindashing's mournful groans of agony shall deafen us all.

Which reminds me, where do many Black mothers get the inspiration to name their children? my mother always tells me that most american names these days have no meaning, but especially those that young black people give their children.

I find it pretty ironic that while we've moved past the days of this, we have people trying to give their children African sounding names without doing enough research.

Pick up "freakonomics". there's an entire chapter based solely around why Parents seem to give kids names that are either nonsensical or detrimental in the long run.

there's an excerpt of it http://www.slate.com/id/2116449/

the short story is that lower income and lower educated parents of all races have a habit of making extremely poor name choices- black parents in particular choose "unique" names out of a sense of solidarity with the community and/or pride in one's roots.

The California data establish just how dissimilarly black and white parents have named their children over the past 25 years or so—a remnant, it seems, of the Black Power movement. The typical baby girl born in a black neighborhood in 1970 was given a name that was twice as common among blacks than whites. By 1980, she received a name that was 20 times more common among blacks. (Boys' names moved in the same direction but less aggressively—likely because parents of all races are less adventurous with boys' names than girls'.) Today, more than 40 percent of the black girls born in California in a given year receive a name that not one of the roughly 100,000 baby white girls received that year. Even more remarkably, nearly 30 percent of the black girls are given a name that is unique among every baby, white and black, born that year in California. (There were also 228 babies named Unique during the 1990s alone, and one each of Uneek, Uneque, and Uneqqee; virtually all of them were black.)

Delio

- Where you live Fort worth,Tx
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy Mississippi
- Your Age 24
- Favorite musical genre Rock
- Your profession/major/career interest Writer
- Your religious affiliation Agnosic
- Hobbies Writing,Video games

Himuro said:
I'm sorry this thread isn't as awesome as the last one. I dunno what to do with it aside from bring up different topics in black culture.

since "megathreads" are banned, maybe a thread about one specific topic relating to black culture every couple days or so directed at black-gaf is more workable. This one is fine since getting to know who black gaf IS on this board is always nice, next time a "Black-Age: why are we going anywhere but Popeye's for Chicken" might generate more specific responses and hilarious gifs

Top Bottom