• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

DominoKid

If you did something fucked up and heinous in school you don't pull the "I don't recall." At the very least you admit it. If it was really fucked up you apologize.

I refuse to completely own up to something I genuinely don't remember. That's a real can of worms to open up.
I won't outright deny it, but I'm not admitting it either.

I gave an example in that thread.
If it happened (and my friends swear up and down that it did), I'd be sorry that it happened, but I couldn't really make it sound genuine.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
If I ever get called out for some the terrible shit I said or did in highschool I'd have to own up for being such an asshole, otherwise you look like you're that same asshole kid.

Some shit that I've done doesn't even register as a big deal. Do I remember every tackle I made in football? Every kid in line that I skipped? Every I didn't call a girl back? Fuck no - those things are way more memorable from the other side.

Shit, the girl that ripped my heart out and made me wonder the hills in search of a higher purpose doesn't even recall how we met.

Some shit that I've done doesn't even register as a big deal. Do I remember every tackle I made in football? Every kid in line that I skipped? Every I didn't call a girl back? Fuck no - those things are way more memorable from the other side.

Shit, the girl that ripped my heart out and made me wonder the hills in search of a higher purpose doesn't even recall how we met.

This isn't about stuff that's not a big deal. This was an assault on someone else.

I put three kids on a stretcher while I played football in high school.

I couldn't even tell you if they were black or white.

You just proved my point though. You remember hurting people enough to put them on stretchers even if you don't recall who the individuals were.

If I didn't remember I could at least, as a canidate for presidency, say that in addition to not being a homophobe (like romney did) say that any harm I did cause to someone was either unintentional or fabricated. Bullying is an epidemic blah blah blah no one deserves to be ridiculed.

I don't recall some the fucked up things I've said to classmates at parties months back, so I don't think its a huge deal that Romney forgot something decades ago. It was a real shit political answer though.

If I didn't remember I could at least, as a canidate for presidency, say that in addition to not being a homophobe (like romney did) say that any harm I did cause to someone was either unintentional or fabricated. Bullying is an epidemic blah blah blah no one deserves to be ridiculed.

I don't recall some the fucked up things I've said to classmates at parties months back, so I don't think its a huge deal that Romney forgot something decades ago. It was a real shit political answer though.

God was it ever, that guy.

DominoKid

basically. that's the real issue here, at least to me.

DY_nasty

You just proved my point though. You remember hurting people enough to put them on stretchers even if you don't recall who the individuals were.
In a way, yeah, but it didn't register back then as something to remember as important. I certainly couldn't tell you the guys name, or if I went high or low on him, or even the team I was playing against.

It was nothing that stood out in my life. A comedian wouldn't remember every joke, a boxer wouldn't remember every round. The people on the other end would certainly recall what broke their jaw or deeply offended them in detail though.

For the record, I've never been a fan of Romney. There are tons of other reasons not to like the guy. Its just weird whenever I hear someone bring up bullying like its the new AIDS or something.

In a way, yeah, but it didn't register back then as something to remember as important. I certainly couldn't tell you the guys name, or if I went high or low on him, or even the team I was playing against.

It was nothing that stood out in my life. A comedian wouldn't remember every joke, a boxer wouldn't remember every round. The people on the other end would certainly recall what broke their jaw or deeply offended them in detail though.

For the record, I've never been a fan of Romney. There are tons of other reasons not to like the guy. Its just weird whenever I hear someone bring up bullying like its the new AIDS or something.

A comedian would remember punching someone and a boxer would remember the one time they killed on a comedy stage. Unless you're saying Romney bullied so many gay kids that he's like some sort of pro.

Either way people who don't like him will paint him a villain and people who like him will rationalize it however they want. Unless something conrete comes out then this isn't even a stink line above his shitty campaign

DY_nasty

A comedian would remember punching someone and a boxer would remember the one time they killed on a comedy stage. Unless you're saying Romney bullied so many gay kids that he's like some sort of pro.

Either way people who don't like him will paint him a villain and people who like him will rationalize it however they want. Unless something conrete comes out then this isn't even a stink line above his shitty campaign
can't argue with that

Slayven

That is some Yoda level shit.

I dont know about that when Kobe is pretty much keeping Bynum from reaching his potential. The guy never gets shots. He's the key if they want to win the championship, not Kobe and I think Kobes afraid of that. It's turning into Shaq shit all over again.

No. Bynum is keeping Bynum from his potential. It's actually better when he's a defensive beast, because as that point, the Lakers become a much harder squad to beat.

In the games Kobe didn't play, his scoring went up, but his FG% dropped by quite a bit. Same with Pau, they both benefit far more from having Kobe on the perimeter because it allows them to play one on one most nights. Bynum doesn't handle double-teams as well as say, Shaq does. He'll get there, sure, but he has his own issues to work through.

And this isn't like the Shaq shit. Kobe's problem with Shaq was that he didn't work hard enough to stay in shape between seasons; but on the court? When it was time to handle business, most of the time they got it done, 4 finals, 3 rings in 5 years.

Two Alphas almost never works out.

The Lakers wouldn't get past the FThunder anyway.

This is also true.

Pretty much.

Imm0rt4l

Romney not remembering tells me either he's a liar or that kinda of behavior was so normal for him that it wouldn't stick out as being memorable. "Man I bullied so many kids, who knows what I did to that guy". His own peers remember what happened and felt guilty, he should have owned up to his mistake saying he's a different man now since its been damn near 50 years. He was young and stupid and should have said as much. Don't dismiss something like that as just a prank, not when you're running for the highest office. This kinda shit comes with the territory. same would go for obama.

Slayven

Always interesting assesing the candidates character.I for one think its a red flag when one of the frontrunners would bring a stillborn baby home for the family to greet.

I would be so out of there. I think republicans have been playing to their base and fuck everyone else. What happened to Steel I haven't seen him in a while?

DY_nasty

I still have this massive "cannot relate" type thing going on regarding bullying. I just want to be able to at least feel out the line without completely bullshitting like I understand when I know I don't.
His cohorts remember.
Its not like they're running for president or anything.

I still have this massive "cannot relate" type thing going on regarding bullying. I just want to be able to at least feel out the line without completely bullshitting like I understand when I know I don't.

Its not like they're running for president or anything.
You can't understand how being held down by a group of guys who irrationally hate you while they cut your hair would humiliate and traumatize you?

I put three kids on a stretcher while I played football in high school.

I couldn't even tell you if they were black or white.

I broke a guy's tibula and fibula in high school butI lead with my hat and don't remember any of it. Apparently I was talking shit after the hit...still feels bad.

I have video of the game but I've never had the balls to watch it.

I do remember every game I played in but scores and most of the plays I was in on are fuzzy. Product of age and shit.

DY_nasty

You can't understand how being held down by a group of guys who irrationally hate you while they cut your hair would humiliate and traumatize you?

Chars and I have more in common than you think. I only see that as a threat, not something that'd make you want to commit suicide.

Chars and I have more in common than you think. I only see that as a threat, not something that'd make you want to commit suicide.

Now imagine seeing those guys 5 days a week as they talk shit, and for some kids the bullying doesn't end when they get home.

Keep in mind not everyone has the phsyical ability to get hit by a truck and then chase it down like batman, DY. Mental make up plays a part I'm sure but some people get a raw deal in more than one aspect.

DominoKid

DY i think the thing is that there's varying levels.
I can totally "get" being bullied so much that it'd want to make you commit suicide even if I don't understand what that's like.
I'm not mentally weak enough (sorry but i cant think of a better way to put it) to be pushed to that point.
But I don't have a bleeding heart for bullying as an umbrella term.

Don't know about you guys but I remember all the fucked up shit I did in HS and I'm older than most of you. Will I remember it in another 30 years? Maybe, maybe not.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I can't stand bullying. I've been on DY_nasty's level of understanding it as well as going through a lot of my younger years being bullied (as well as having legit racist teachers downsouth and in MD). Wasn't just verbal, but also physical at times to. It fucked with my head a lot as I grew through the years. Wasn't until I got my job (could afford to look fly) in HS and my lifelong friends really payed attention that things cut back.

I almost fucked up a couple of times because of it. Was on a bus when I was about a year or 2 out of HS. Saw some dude that use to fuck with me get on. Then he sat next to me. Guy didn't recognize. I remembered him though and all of the shit he did. All that shit came flooding back and I almost did something...the hood would deem acceptable: on impulse. Didn't even know what came over me. He got off, unaware of what was about to go down. I just stared at my reflection the entire ride home. Shit felt unreal.

Got to college and thanks to some of the shit I was privy too, I'd see chicks out by themselves, in fucking Philadelphia. People standing watching flash mobs beat people up. Just general shit that would get you robbed and or worse. Boggled my mind how free people were/are. My world perception is still out of wack sometimes.

I'm good now though. Still don't understand people's thoughts, but yea. Fuck bullies and fuck bullying.

Baby Milo

Don't know about you guys but I remember all the fucked up shit I did in HS and I'm older than most of you. Will I remember it in another 30 years? Maybe, maybe not.

yeah im with you but i do agree with those people who are saying he has a history of showing zero empathy for anything

DominoKid

Well it was brought to my attention by one of my female friends that I have the black guy mean mug all the time and it makes me unapproachable at first.
I've known her for 3 years so if she says it then it's probably legit.
This also jives with the "you're a lot nicer than you look" that I get a lot.

Kinda put a dent into my day.

Honest to god though I don't mean it look like that and I definitely don't act like that...but I'd feel weird walking around smiling and clowning all day just so I don't seem so off putting.

Solution?
Or am I just stuck w/ it?

Well it was brought to my attention by one of my female friends that I have the black guy mean mug all the time and it makes me unapproachable at first.
I've known her for 3 years so if she says it then it's probably legit.
This also jives with the "you're a lot nicer than you look" that I get a lot.

Kinda put a dent into my day.

Honest to god though I don't mean it look like that and I definitely don't act like that...but I'd feel weird walking around smiling and clowning all day just so I don't seem so off putting.

Solution?
Or am I just stuck w/ it?

I hate to go there but what else do you wear? I'd suggest warmer colors. And you don't have to open mouth smile but you could work on half smirking and generally looking more approachable in public. When I pass people, regardless of who, I tend to smirk just a little bit so they don't think I'm sneering or scowling which is sometimes my natural look since more often than not I'm going somewhere with a determined look on my face. You might have the same problem.

DominoKid

I hate to go there but what else do you wear? I'd suggest warmer colors. And you don't have to open mouth smile but you could work on half smirking and generally looking more approachable in public. When I pass people, regardless of who, I tend to smirk just a little bit so they don't think I'm sneering or scowling which is sometimes my natural look since more often than not I'm going somewhere with a determined look on my face. You might have the same problem.

usually i wear bright, flashy colors to go with my sneakers & hats although imo my best looking outfits are black tops/shoes w/ blue jeans. i don't have a lot of black clothes though. i often have my sunglasses on but that's as much for function as it is for fashion.

i've tried the smirk thing, but i always felt like it looks too practiced if that makes sense.

usually i wear bright, flashy colors to go with my sneakers & hats although imo my best looking outfits are black tops/shoes w/ blue jeans. i don't have a lot of black clothes though. i often have my sunglasses on but that's as much for function as it is for fashion.

i've tried the smirk thing, but i always felt like it looks too practiced if that makes sense.

It's better to look a little goofy than scary or pissed off though isn't it?

DominoKid

Possibly...I'd rather just be myself though.
I'm plenty goofy w/o looking it on my face.
That should be enough right?

My profs think I act too goofy based on some of my evals (oh how i hate evals). I probably do...
But you can see how the conflicting messages could fuck w/ me.

I just feel like I've already fallen behind before the game has even started.

My profs think I act too goofy based on some of my evals (oh how i hate evals). I probably do...

I just think certain people have to work harder to look friendly just based on unfair perceptions and stereotypes. And guys looking really serious is intimidating.

BHZ Mayor

It's better than being told you look like you'd blow/shoot up a building all your life.

DY_nasty

I haven't forgot about Mufasa :(

By the way, working on the new OT right now and... WOW. This thread came a long ways. This is easily the best period that the thread has ever seen.

I've been going through and piecing together stuff but I really want to throw some good reading and whatnot into the OP this time around. Any suggestions?

I haven't forgot about Mufasa :(

By the way, working on the new OT right now and... WOW. This thread came a long ways. This is easily the best period that the thread has ever seen.

I've been going through and piecing together stuff but I really want to throw some good reading and whatnot into the OP this time around. Any suggestions?

Classic posts from this thread, excellent texts/pieces on black culture worldwide, maybe a selection of cool media (like music or movies or things like that)?

DY_nasty

If you see anything, post it here or PM me. I should have this done in a few hours or so. Gotta eat and ready my troll sword for the game tonight.

Top Bottom