• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

I wish there was a way to express how much I hate that this is what happened to our beautiful Negro-Age thread. I wish there was a way to express how fitting it was that what happened...happened the way it did. Isn't that always how it is with us? We really can't have anything good without shit getting real :lol

Anyway, I guess this is the concession, like reservations for Native Americans (we're sorry we stole your land - here's some crumbs!) or whatever, right? Cool.

- Where you're from: Brooklyn, NY - greatest borough of the greatest city on Earth.
- Where you live: Brooklyn, NY - I'm never leaving here, as long as I can help it.
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy: I am of Haitian descent; both my mother and father were born in Haiti and came to the US in the 70s. I am part of the first generation born here in my family.
- Do you know your roots? Define that. I know the tracing of all my family through Haiti...but obviously that only goes so far back. It's not like I can trace my family/name/family coat of arms or something to the Middle Ages or something.
- Your Age: 27
- Favorite musical genre: Hip-Hop/Rap is my first love, but these days I gravitate heavily towards (indie) rock music.
- Your profession/major/career interest: I pay the bills doing sales/business/financial analysis. I study English Literature and Creative Writing in college though. I want to be a writer, but you can't eat 3 meals a day doing that unless you're lucky.
- Your religious affiliation: Catholic. I don't really practice much, but whatever.
- Hobbies: Writing/reading, playing music, video games, computers and tech, reading/watching anime/manga/comics/graphic novels, etc.

- Do you feel ostracized as a black nerd/dork? Charles Barkley once said that "there's nothing sadder than a black nerd". What do you think about those words, and while we're on the issue, what is gaf's opinion on the whole "act white" thing?

I do feel ostracized as a black nerd...but only by girls, lol. Seriously though, it's cool to be nerdy/geeky now, so whatever. I never gave a fuck about it when I was a kid - so why would I now? I like what I like, so fuck you if you hate me for it.
As for "acting white"...God, so annoying. It pisses me off that it's supposed to be some implausible thing that I am mild-mannered, well-dressed, well-spoken, well-read and intelligent. It's amazing to me that the following is true:

- acting white is bad amongst my fellow black people because I am posing/selling myself out or something
- acting white is something to marvel at or laugh at me for amongst other races of people because it's like the subtext of that is "wow, look that little black boy can speak English well just like me! how'd he learn to do that instead of all that stealing and rapping and ebonics he's supposed to know?"
- White people are the exclusive domain of being mild-mannered, well-dressed, well-spoken, well-read and intelligent - so much so that to be like that as any other race is to "act white".

Shit is RIDICULOUS.

BlackNMild2k1 said:
Hold up.... you call that saggin pants!? that's nothing. Those are just jeans that aren't waist fitted butt huggers.

If you consider that saggin, then you must be into the whole skinny jean fad.
Wearing your jeans a little loose on the hip ain't saggin, wearing your jeans somewhere between the bottom of your ass and above your knees, now that is saggin.

this is saggin
RiCF4.jpg

and that is ridiculous.

o0b09g.jpg

My man look at the guy on the left again you seem to have missed it.
look for the back pockets

tirminyl said:
I'm curious, black-gaf...how do you wear your hair? Normal fade cut? I have had fades since I got made fun of having long hair in the 5th grade, so I have not gone at least 3-4 weeks without a cut.

I've decided to grow my hair out from Sept 2010 til March/April 2011. It's killing me. What the hell am I supposed to do with this crap?

:lol :lol

I usually have it cut once a year. For the remainder of the year it looks something like this. I just can't find the time and cash to have it maintained constantly. I need to learn how to cut my own hair.

tirminyl said:
I'm curious, black-gaf...how do you wear your hair? Normal fade cut? I have had fades since I got made fun of having long hair in the 5th grade, so I have not gone at least 3-4 weeks without a cut.

I've decided to grow my hair out from Sept 2010 til March/April 2011. It's killing me. What the hell am I supposed to do with this crap?

:lol :lol

My cut right now is:

fem9sp.jpg

Years ago, i wore a top half ponytail, with the sides faded.

tirminyl

Himuro said:
Haha. You got a fro?

I get caesar's. Fade cuts are...well, they're alright, but nothing tops a caesar.

I remember my trademark cut up until High School was a low fade with a part.

Yeah dude, I am rocking a mini fro right now :lol

I've had a caesar, it was ok but I always just go back to fade cuts. Figured I would do something different and now it became a bet because no one thinks I will last.

soundscream said:
o0b09g.jpg

My man look at the guy on the left again you seem to have missed it.
look for the back pockets

Oh. My bad. it all looked like the same pair of pants. same exact color and all. it just looked real baggy.

that is just retarded. I hate watching people walk down the street having to hold the crotch on the pants just so they can walk.

ryutaro's mama said:
My cut right now is:

fem9sp.jpg

Years ago, i wore a top half ponytail, with the sides faded.

I remember watching that movie and thinking "Damn I want his haircut" I don't know what his barber did, but it looks so good.

lightless_shado said:
I remember watching that movie and thinking "Damn I want his haircut" I don't know what his barber did, but it looks so good.

My barber is really good.

He'll ask, "What you need, <ryutaro's mama's real name>?"

"Give that Denzel Training Day fade"

"What's that again?"

<Googles the image on my DROID X>

One haircut later, it's all good!

One of the greatest relationships a black man has is with his barber.

Take that dude's #.

If you have to move, look around for a suitable barbershop. Don't just walk in and get one.

PS. Where are the sistas? The man done scared them off, huh... =(

ryutaro's mama said:

"What's that again?"

:lol

I'm gonna try that next time

Jerk

Banned
spindashing said:

Take that dude's #.

If you have to move, look around for a suitable barbershop. Don't just walk in and get one.

PS. Where are the sistas? The man done scared them off, huh... =(

I just got back from a shop I randomly chose (stupid, I know).

He was really awesome and we share really similar political views; dude is a keeper.

Imm0rt4l

Himuro said:
Wait. Like, actual waves?
I'm guessing the waves were already there, and she was like "OMG WTF? Waves!!", and the other ladies were like "How do you wave?" and Dy-nasty's like -_- smh.

*brushes head

ryutaro's mama said:

"What's that again?"

Brilliant. I'll remember to do the same next time:lol

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Imm0rt4l said:
I'm guessing the waves were already there, and she was like "OMG WTF? Waves!!", and the other ladies were like "How do you wave?" and Dy-nasty's like -_- smh.

*brushes head
Exactly what happened

The lady was so proud of herself, I'm sure it made her day :lol

Imm0rt4l

I'm currently barberless in a majority white college town, and none of my friend cut hair, but have friend that cut their hair. Since I haven't gotten a cut by any of em' I've been left to cut my own hair. I just cut a 2 all around as I don't know how to fade/taper or anything. Anyone cut their own hair? Tips? I wish I knew how to cut legit as their is no better feeling than coming from a barber with a fresh cut. I would go every 2 weeks before, but If I knew hwo to cut my own hair well I could cut it regularly and have that fresh feeling weekly.

DY_nasty said:
Exactly what happened

The lady was so proud of herself, I'm sure it made her day :lol

tirminyl

spindashing said:

I have been going to the same barber for 7 years now. Although he went to school, he doesn't even cut hair professionally. I go to his house to get my cuts. I've threatened him that if he moved out of state, I am moving with his ass. I HATE trying to find a good shop and barber.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
just got back from the barber myself.
Points of discussion:
Jobs
Education
Minorities not working hard
Welfare is a way to keep a brother down
conservative voters fucked themselves over in a bid to alienate minorities
Women
Women
Women

Veidt

I wouldn't know my man. I've only gotten my haircut by the same Sudanese barber for the past 5 years. :lol

We do call each other "brother" though, although it appears to be an African thing.

Imm0rt4l

What kind of cuts do you guys normally get? How do you describe what you want? for me it's pretty much either a cesar, a taper, or a bald fade. I was thinking about growing my hair out a bit, keepign it tapered and using one of these Nu Dred things. I have no experience with it though.

Veidt

Himuro said:
So awesome.

Are you in UK?
Yes sir.
It's been here for five years and I can't for the life of me speak with an English accent in a sincere manner. I do get looks at uni though, people looking asking me "why do you have an American twang?". Then I have to tell them how I've only been here for five years etc.
It's a good conversation starter though.

My barber and I, we hardly talk. When we do speak it's either about the music playing and/or women. :lol

But damn does it get annoying when people hit up his cell when he's giving me a haircut.

Veidt

Himuro said:
So you just moved from Africa to Europe just recently? What was that like? Were black people more common where you're from in Africa or was it a diverse area like South Africa?

I lived in Holland before I got here. Was raised there. I do remember few little non-black people there were back home though. I remember how I freaked out as a kid, when I saw my first white person, thought it was a ghost or something.

I always hated the barber. I haven't paid for a haircut since 1995.

I just get a set of Wahl clippers and a hand mirror, and shave my hair off every two weeks. Girls don't give a shit, so why should I?

you chumps can keep shelling out $20 to the barber every two weeks if you want...:lol

Himuro said:
You guys ever deal with those dudes who cut rough? One of my barbers back home grabs my head like he's going to rip it off and cuts like he's cutting velcro.

He's real rough on the head. Used to bug me as a kid, but now I'm used to it.
Yes! My barber does this! At first I thought he was genuinely angry at me, but as I grew older, I got used to it. Damn I felt like he was dribbling my head as if it were a basketball. :lol

Veidt

Himuro said:
You guys ever deal with those dudes who cut rough? One of my barbers back home grabs my head like he's going to rip it off and cuts like he's cutting velcro.

He's real rough on the head. Used to bug me as a kid, but now I'm used to it.

And yes, barber getting called on the phone is :( I miss the days when the only phone in the shop was the shop's phone because someone calls at least once every time I get my haircut.

Really? :lol You didn't watch Sesame Street or something?
Sesame street?:lol

Brother I was watching Rambo and the good the bad and the ugly, while mortars were flying over the top of and inside our house. And I was one of the lucky ones.
Of course this was AFTER my first contact with a white person.

I've never watched sesame street or any of that stuff.

Imm0rt4l

Himuro said:
Caesar, low fade, taper, edged up.

Usually my trademark haircut is a caesar.

360_main.jpg

I asked for my barber to give me a caesar and he almost gave a fade. Dude isn't that great but it's the only shop nearby.
I never tried any other stuff than Murrys myself

murrays.jpg

Maybe I need to switch it up, since it seems mostly greasers use murrys these days.

tirminyl

Manmademan said:
I always hated the barber. I haven't paid for a haircut since 1995.

I just get a set of Wahl clippers and a hand mirror, and shave my hair off every two weeks. Girls don't give a shit, so why should I?

you chumps can keep shelling out $20 to the barber every two weeks if you want...:lol

$10 for me :D

Imm0rt4l said:
What kind of cuts do you guys normally get? How do you describe what you want? for me it's pretty much either a cesar, a taper, or a bald fade. I was thinking about growing my hair out a bit, keepign it tapered and using one of these Nu Dred things. I have no experience with it though.

Whoa. That's interesting. I just watched this vid of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiZDaKTgx1I&list=QL&feature=BF It works to about 5-6 inches and probably after that you would do the normal locking I guess.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
12-15 bucks is usually the norm in the south... Drop the whole 20 and call it even. You never want to piss off a barber.

Veidt

Himuro said:
I dunno. I watched Sesame Street as a kid. It was one of the first venues where I saw blacks, whites, asians, hispanics and all that in unison. It's partly half the reason I prefer in a diverse living environment. It helps it was one of (if not the first) show I ever watched. That, and Fraggle Rock, gave me lots of life lessons as a kid.
good shit.

Man, if they had shit like that back in africa, people wouldn't be as prone to violence as they are now

- Where you're fromEl diesmero inside Havana, Cuba
- Where you live FL
- Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy Dad's black from eastern 'rural' Cuba, Mom's white and from western 'city' Cuba. Each side of my family is like a polar opposite of the other as well, makes for interesting reunions.
- Do you know your roots? I visit both sides of the family in Cuba as often as possible every year, seen pictures of my family from back in the day and been to the old farms they still own. Everytime I come down we have a reunion and dinner at the farm, they let me wrestle and kill the 1 pig we'll eat. Tastes like family-unifying greasy magic.
- Your Age twenty one
- Favorite musical genre muse, dubstep, latino music i can dance to, I'll listen to anything else but country
- Your profession/major/career interest IT - Comp Networking
- Your religious affiliation Raised Jehovah's Witness, currently Jehovah's Witness
- Hobbies watching old movies, listening to old music, playing new games and building new computers

I usually pay ~7 for a haircut Been going to the same nice old Cuban lady everyone else I know gets their haircuts from, cut my hair right out of her house for the last 15 years.

tirminyl

DY_nasty said:
12-15 bucks is usually the norm in the south... Drop the whole 20 and call it even. You never want to piss off a barber.

I will have to speak to my barber then and see what others are paying. Like I said, he has been cutting my hair on the side for the past 7 years and has never worked in a shop.

I'm about to hit my barber up.

It's $15 for my usual - light caesar, thin sideburns, connect to the goatee, trim the beard, line it up. I always tip $3 on top of that.

You ALWAYS tip the barber. That man is the arbiter of your hair - a key element in the pursuit of flyness, and the quest for the nappy dugout.

captmcblack said:
I'm about to hit my barber up.

It's $15 for my usual - light caesar, thin sideburns, connect to the goatee, trim the beard, line it up. I always tip $3 on top of that.

You ALWAYS tip the barber. That man is the arbiter of your hair - a key element in the pursuit of flyness, and the quest for the nappy dugout.

Damn, captmcblack went back to 90s Ice Cube on me.

Shanadeus

Banned
I wonder what it's like to have black curls that many blacks have, I also wonder if there are any blacks that have naturally straight hair.

Shanadeus said:
I wonder what it's like to have black curls that many blacks have, I also wonder if there are any blacks that have naturally straight hair.
My last girlfriend had naturally straight hair but she was half white. I'd joke all the time that she could get her hair wet with no problems. :lol

Shanadeus said:

It's pretty awesome. People like to touch my hair all the time and are always surprised by how "springy" it is. And I can always tell when I need a haircut using the pencil test (which is where I stick a pencil in my hair and if it gets stuck in there, I need to get my hair trimmed)

Imm0rt4l

Zoramon089 said:
It's pretty awesome. People like to touch my hair all the time and are always surprised by how "springy" it is. And I can always tell when I need a haircut using the pencil test (which is where I stick a pencil in my hair and if it gets stuck in there, I need to get my hair trimmed)

Top Bottom