• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Boomer Shooter tsunami

Buggy Loop

I genuinely believe that 2014's Wolfenstein The new order & then the 2016 Doom played a huge role into the revival of boomer shooters. The wave of retro/boomer shooters since then has been insane and probably the best thing to have happened to PC gaming in a long time.

Pixelated-PSX-N64 mess of an art style in glorious HD >200 fps

Hayao Miyazaki Reaction GIF

Where to even begin... I'll put the trailers in spoiler titles to not have that big of a page to display.

Let's take a quick look at a few upcoming retro shooters releasing in 2023 (hopefully) with a ton of them already in early access and with demos.

Probably one of the best reviewed game on Steam and still early access. Supposed to release this year. DMC like style system for a super rapid and brutal shooter. Heal from the blood of your enemies. It's probably the fastest shooter i've ever played.

These devs, much like ultrakill, looked at Doom and said, pfft, that's slow as fuck. The best moments of Doom? That's cranked up to 11 and constant here. You have a chainsaw for a leg! It's in early access and releasing early 2023.

Here's a return to the glory days of Goldeneye 007 on N64. Can even make your own campaign.

Sequel to Ion Fury. Now in a 3D engine. 3DRealm is actually benefiting a lot from the return of boomer shooters. So far this looks EXCELLENT

You have to manage 2 sets of weapons, your hands and your backpack. A super aggressive shooter against swarms of enemies. Grappling hook, grinding on rails included.

Cel shaded Cyberpunk roguelite shooter. Its Doom eternal + Hades.

3D Realms is back again. Deux ex inspired shooter, 100 cybernetic mods, hacking, looking at computer emails, logs, keycodes, etc.

90's esthetics pixel art shooter in legit impressive 3d environment. Probably my most hyped Warhammer project in a long time.

F.E.A.R. inspired gameplay with slides, cover, amazing AI response system, destructible environment.

Immersive Sci-Fi FPS inspired by Metal Gear Solid & Deus ex but feels like being Raiden in revengeance with the crazy sword bullet blocking and even parry, with stealth and RPG elements.

Dino Crysis FPS? YES PLEASE. PSX inspired graphics. Survival horror. Leaving a trail of blood will attract the dinos. It's as close to a boomer shooter Jurassic park we can get.

A Doom eternal cyberpunk with slow-mo, slides, wall running..

Again 3D Realms, jesus christ. I include this in 2023 as while the episode 1 is out, there's more to come. It's again one of the best reviewed Boomer shooter on steam. Very interesting art style here, very much Duke Nukem look but with colors very muted, it shouldn't work but it somehow does, almost like the devs had an 8-bit era limitation on colors to be used.

Thief + guns // Survival horror + Immersive sims? From the same publisher as Ultrakill, Dusk, Amid Evil, seems like nothing they publish is ever not a goddamn gem.

Katana-Gun wielding fast paced blood drenched night in the streets of Tokyo. What's not to love here?

I have to stop, because its endless. I'm not even including remakes like System shock, Sin, King pin, and SO MANY others that are even more retro 90's, nor are we talking about past years games.

It's fucking insane how many there are. I love it. This is why you buy a super expensive GPU!
..for max framerates!

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Didn’t even list the best one huh ?

Dread Templar fuuuuuucks. Soundtrack alone shits on the rest.

Trailers don’t do this justice. Katana, handguns, bow and arrow, slow no mechanic, great level design, enemy variety , sick bosses, and an over the top soundtrack.

Just perfection.

Buggy Loop

Didn’t even list the best one huh ?

Dread Templar fuuuuuucks. Soundtrack alone shits on the rest.

Trailers don’t do this justice. Katana, handguns, bow and arrow, slow no mechanic, great level design, enemy variety , sick bosses, and an over the top soundtrack.

Just perfection.

Added to wish list

That’s the thing, there’s so many of them, even when following the genre relatively closely, I never saw this one.

Hype Train GIF by Leroy Patterson

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I won't be able to rest in gibs until the DLC for Amid Evil is released. What's taking SO long? :goog_relieved:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Looking forward to this one, love Ion Fury
Same franchise but different devs I'm afraid. Game looks cool for sure but I wouldn't hype myself thinking it'll be "Ion Fury but better" or anything like that.

Last edited:

Juza

Same franchise but different devs I'm afraid. Game looks cool for sure but I wouldn't hype myself thinking it'll be "Ion Fury but better" or anything like that.
From what I've seen from the gameplay, the game is promising tbh, although it feels a bit different, but I'm ok with that, especially since I know that the original team is working on an expansion to Ion Fury. so, why not both?

Nikodemos

Don't forget about Project Warlock 2.

And Beyond Citadel for fans of that particular genre.

EDIT: To clarify, they aren't out yet, but both are confirmed to be in production.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I never understood why these sorts of games are called "boomer shooters."

They were designed initially by Gen-Xers and played mainly by Gen-Xers and young Millenials at the time.
Boomer = old dude
Zoomer = young dude

Doesn't make sense yeah, but that's internet culture for you. Don't overthink it too much and just go with it.

mortal

Gold Member
Boomer = old dude
Zoomer = young dude

Doesn't make sense yeah, but that's internet culture for you. Don't overthink it too much and just go with it.
Right, that's my point. Baby boomers are so far removed from these games. It's a nonsensical moniker.

We should be calling them Doomer shooters instead

hqdefault.jpg
lol Doomer shooter actually makes more sense since so many of these games draw inspiration from the classic Doom games.

Bragr

Banned
Boomer shooters are in a weird state, they are perhaps the most generic and overdone genre in the market right now, as they are easy to make and every small-time PC dev out there is making one.

It's cool and all, but after playing 3-4 of them, you start to notice that they are almost all the same with a few different speed parameters and different textures. I need something interesting to get another boomer shooter.

TintoConCasera

Boomer shooters are in a weird state, they are perhaps the most generic and overdone genre in the market right now, as they are easy to make and every small-time PC dev out there is making one.

It's cool and all, but after playing 3-4 of them, you start to notice that they are almost all the same with a few different speed parameters and different textures. I need something interesting to get another boomer shooter.
Yeah it's a bit overdone, you really need to go through a few shitty ones until you find one that's actually cool to play.

I loved Amid Evil for example, the setting is cool and the visual design is very striking. Can't find anything similar out there.

Ishma3L

We must go deeper! A few more suggestions adding to OP's already substantial list. Btw, glad some more people know about Compound Fracture.

Maximum Action - Very physical FPS. Very John Woo.

Supplice - Throwback boomer shooter goodness. Like an early 90's Doom clone.

Wizordum - Even earlier period esque boomer shooter. Like a modern Catacombs 3D.

Sin Reloaded - OP mentioned it, but we need the steam page in here for the people.

Kingpin Reloaded - Again, OP, you mentioned this one. I'm throwing the steam page on here though.

Fallen Aces - Build Engine Baby! Crime Noir FPS.

Delilah - Looks like a Doom WAD, but WHO CARES

Amid Evil: The Black Labyrinth
- If you haven't played the original then do yourself a favor and play that.

I genuinely believe that 2014's Wolfenstein The new order & then the 2016 Doom played a huge role into the revival of boomer shooters. The wave of retro/boomer shooters since then has been insane and probably the best thing to have happened to PC gaming in a long time.

Pixelated-PSX-N64 mess of an art style in glorious HD >200 fps

Hayao Miyazaki Reaction GIF

Where to even begin... I'll put the trailers in spoiler titles to not have that big of a page to display.

Let's take a quick look at a few upcoming retro shooters releasing in 2023 (hopefully) with a ton of them already in early access and with demos.

Probably one of the best reviewed game on Steam and still early access. Supposed to release this year. DMC like style system for a super rapid and brutal shooter. Heal from the blood of your enemies. It's probably the fastest shooter i've ever played.

These devs, much like ultrakill, looked at Doom and said, pfft, that's slow as fuck. The best moments of Doom? That's cranked up to 11 and constant here. You have a chainsaw for a leg! It's in early access and releasing early 2023.

Here's a return to the glory days of Goldeneye 007 on N64. Can even make your own campaign.

Sequel to Ion Fury. Now in a 3D engine. 3DRealm is actually benefiting a lot from the return of boomer shooters. So far this looks EXCELLENT

You have to manage 2 sets of weapons, your hands and your backpack. A super aggressive shooter against swarms of enemies. Grappling hook, grinding on rails included.

Cel shaded Cyberpunk roguelite shooter. Its Doom eternal + Hades.

3D Realms is back again. Deux ex inspired shooter, 100 cybernetic mods, hacking, looking at computer emails, logs, keycodes, etc.

90's esthetics pixel art shooter in legit impressive 3d environment. Probably my most hyped Warhammer project in a long time.

F.E.A.R. inspired gameplay with slides, cover, amazing AI response system, destructible environment.

Immersive Sci-Fi FPS inspired by Metal Gear Solid & Deus ex but feels like being Raiden in revengeance with the crazy sword bullet blocking and even parry, with stealth and RPG elements.

Dino Crysis FPS? YES PLEASE. PSX inspired graphics. Survival horror. Leaving a trail of blood will attract the dinos. It's as close to a boomer shooter Jurassic park we can get.

A Doom eternal cyberpunk with slow-mo, slides, wall running..

Again 3D Realms, jesus christ. I include this in 2023 as while the episode 1 is out, there's more to come. It's again one of the best reviewed Boomer shooter on steam. Very interesting art style here, very much Duke Nukem look but with colors very muted, it shouldn't work but it somehow does, almost like the devs had an 8-bit era limitation on colors to be used.

Thief + guns // Survival horror + Immersive sims? From the same publisher as Ultrakill, Dusk, Amid Evil, seems like nothing they publish is ever not a goddamn gem.

Katana-Gun wielding fast paced blood drenched night in the streets of Tokyo. What's not to love here?

I have to stop, because its endless. I'm not even including remakes like System shock, Sin, King pin, and SO MANY others that are even more retro 90's, nor are we talking about past years games.

It's fucking insane how many there are. I love it. This is why you buy a super expensive GPU!
..for max framerates!

Bro, Jesus Christ, thank you so much. All of those look amazing.

TintoConCasera

Do we know what happened with Graven? Game looked cool from afar but IIRC people shat on it from being to simple or something.

Also... is there anything out there like Hexen? Loved that game, deserves it's own bunch of clones.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Oh noes. I made a similar thread a while a go and then got accused by another member of forum plagiarism lol. I believe my thread was then merged with the "Retro Shooter Renaissance" thread. I hope yours fairs better. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom