• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE BUREAU: XCOM Declassified First Gameplay! Tactics, Permadeath, and new screens

Marcel

I really like how they've built games the last half of this generation.

Only because two of the biggest ones were in development hell for years. I find it hard to be excited for a game that is essentially built on 3+ year old design foundations that apparently couldn't get off the ground until recently.

DocSeuss

I'm mad that we lost the ultra-promising FPS that was doing all sorts of shit nobody had ever done in an FPS to become generic turn-based okay that looks sexy I kind of want it but I'm sure it won't be great.

pakkit

Banned
I'm mad that we lost the ultra-promising FPS that was doing all sorts of shit nobody had ever done in an FPS to become generic turn-based okay that looks sexy I kind of want it but I'm sure it won't be great.

Generic? Mass Effect and Brothers in Arms are the points of comparison that are springing to mind. This release looks like it's a lot more rooted in the XCOM franchise.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Color me excited once again. This looks a 1000 times better than what we were all originally presented with when it was a FPS.

And to say we almost got this instead of enemy unknown, the horror.

Glad it's its own thing now, and that it isn't uncharted or gears of war either.

Jawmuncher

This is actually looking pretty cool.
Releasing Xcom:EU First and making this 3rd person was a smart move. Seems like most of the outrage has died out. Personally this is looking better than Xcom:EU to me.

maus

Really? The FPS looked like a pile of shit. This also looks like a waste of human resources but it's safe enough that it might recoup the money spent on this completely unwarranted spin-off.

Majukun

looks kinda promising.
it will all be obout how much variety of situations and how much you can customize your team and their equipment to answer properly to that variety

like,what?

Tenrius

The visual style looks bland. I'm all for the "USA during the '60s + secret service + XCOM" formula, but that doesn't look like a good implementation. And the HUD. What they were thinking?

Looks like they saw how well XCOM: EU was received and tried to cram an rts system into this. I guess it fits more with the franchise history but why would I even bother with a console-ized rts with a meh HUD when XCOM: EU is available?

Hmmm... not sure how I feel about thos.

I liked the old style; not as an 'XCOM' game, but as a weird 1960's FPS alien-invasion game. Liked it even more once we got a proper XCOM game last year.
gRgWQMs.jpg

JPaSmSR.jpg

HxmQe34.jpg

Those strange block-alien things were pretty bizarre.
UihQdLO.jpg

XzjMEUa.jpg

Now they are plugging in classic XCOM enemies, proton-packs, and, cover-based 3rd-person shooting, & squad-based gameplay?
Naa.. don't think I'm interested anymore, 2K. :{

I think it looks decent enough. I'm still pretty disappointed that they abandoned the more interesting game/concept for this, but this is coming together pretty well.

The HUD still looks like arse though and I'm not particularly happy about them removing the more interesting and unique enemy types, but I do like the strategy aspect and perma-death is always a good thing.

Hystzen

Looks interesting and hopefully it has replay like enemy unknown has

still think they should have taken the Valkyria Chronicles gameplay style for this I worry that at a point in game you won't need team members and powerful enough to solo the game just with MC

DocSeuss

Really? The FPS looked like a pile of shit. This also looks like a waste of human resources but it's safe enough that it might recoup the money spent on this completely unwarranted spin-off.

The FPS looked awesome in 2010.

It looked like a pile of Mass Effect-influenced shit in 2011 after retarded fans bitched that it wasn't "tactical" enough.

like,what?

Uh, investigation level stuff, base management things, pretty much all the important elements of X-COM, but translated over to a first-person game. Lots of investigation elements like photography and stuff. Really neat ideas and stuff.

consider me uninterested.
looks dated and appears a direct copy of ME gameplay.
i was excited for this in 2010... no longer.

generic

Teknoman

Cautiously optimistic since its a pretty different setting than what we usually get today. I'm with everyone else on the strange geometric monolith invasion being preferable to "normal" invaders.

Sothpaw

Nothing exciting there. Better than an fps I suppose. I do like the 1960's setting however. Might buy for $10 during a Steam sale someday, but there are so many awesome pc games coming out that I probably won't have time for a shooter.

It looks good, but not that amazing.

Your teammates AI seems a bit weak, I saw one jumps off cover instead of taking cover, he basically took cover on the wrong side, then he rejumped back.

The enemy AI seems aggressive and packs a bunch whic is pretty cool, and can add to the challenge.

xJavonta

Banned
Gotta be one of the ugliest HUDs I've seen in a while. How long have they been working on this again?

It's not that bad. It's still got strategy bits, so they have to display information and really there's not much of a better way of doing it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
UI looks about as budget as something you'd see in a downloadable title. 'Hm, I wonder why that is,' he says knowingly.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Meh. Not really intrigued by the changes they made, but maybe I'm the only one. I thought there was a lot more unique flavor to the design they started with originally, even if it didn't work for X-Com fans as an FPS. This whole tactical TPS thing mostly doesn't work for me, though, so I guess I'll have to wait and see how the rest of the game shapes up. I really liked the '50s era X-Files vibe that came through in the 2010 version of the game, and I wouldn't have minded them focusing on that.

KarmaCow

It's kinda funny that they decided to relegate X-COM to the subtitle but decided to include X-COM enemies in this game. The gameplay they've shown so far looks about the same as previous iterations, though maybe with less set piece moments.

The game look worse graphically and artistically worse than they originally showed it.

Eh the 2010 and 2011 version looked pretty rough technically, though those were still (early?) in development compared to this.

Oh, 2K. You have this game in development hell for years and I think it's going to be awful. Then it's awesome. More money spent.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
There really seems to be a clash between the original enemy designs (which were mysterious and all) and the inclusion of classic XCOM enemies. The latter really look out of place sometimes.

I can't complain here, it is a nice compliment to the more strategy based game.

Funny enough it's the type of game that would suit the Wii U and it's controller really well but Nintendo doesn't bother with anything 3rd party it seems XD

Top Bottom