• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cabin in the Woods teaser trailer (Whedon, Thor, Josh Lyman; April 13, 2012)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devin Faraci:

If Cabin came out in 2011 it would make my top ten. I've seen it twice now and it is a brilliant film - the anti-Scream. It's a work of genre reconstruction; it's funny and smart and well-made and surprising and just the epitome of why we love genre filmmaking. The crowd went wild, and rightfully so. I can't wait to see Cabin AGAIN.

So, Harry Knowles of Ain't It Cool News fame just held his 13th annual Butt-Numb-A-Thon: 24 hours of movies (vintage, unreleased, and recently-released) that he thinks are just plain awesome. (Count Dookake's been, if memory serves; maybe he'll drop in here and give some more insight.) People send in elaborate applications in order to attend, ridiculous gift bags are given away to all, and it's not uncommon for major actors/directors to either show up to introduce their films or even be in the audience. Previous attendees: Elijah Wood, Robert Rodriguez, etc.

Anyway.

One of the films this year was The Cabin in the Woods. The audience apparently went nuts.

Yes, I've been a few times. First time, I was seated next to Eli Roth. I did not get to go this year, but several friends did, so I got a steady supply of updates regarding all the cool shit I was missing out on. :( I did get a goodie bag, though.

What would you like to know?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Yes, I've been a few times. First time, I was seated next to Eli Roth. I did not get to go this year, but several friends did, so I got a steady supply of updates regarding all the cool shit I was missing out on. :( I did get a goodie bag, though.

What would you like to know?

How can I switch lives with you for a day or two so I can figure out how you've weaved into this group of elite awesomeness?

How can I switch lives with you for a day or two so I can figure out how you've weaved into this group of elite awesomeness?

Ha.

I first met Harry at the NYC premiere of the AKIRA re-release back in 2001 or so. I also wrote a couple of articles for AICN. But you don't have to know the guy to get into BNAT. Just do the application, follow the rules to the letter, and cross your fingers.

Kicking myself for effing up the app this year. Can you imagine how surreal it is to be sitting a couple seats away from Elijah Wood while watching the trailer for THE HOBBIT?

adg1034

The main question I guess I'd have is, for people who've officially seen the movie, how much the initial trailer actually gives away. I trust Goddard and Whedon enough to know how to play with expectations, especially for a movie that's this smart, but there's always a chance.

CrankyJay

Banned
Not sure what people like about Joss Whedon material. He's utter shit. Watching Firefly marathon and it's apparent why it was canceled early on. Nathan Fillion carries this

Radogol

I've read the script and it's very clever. The trailer is doing the plot a disservice. Could very well be the ultimate cabin in the woods movie for reasons I dare not spoil. Knowles is often crazy, but he's right this time - it's impossible to truthfully market this movie without destroying it so I recommend going in blind.

And no, the trailer does not show the entire story. Not even a quarter of it.

Press screening reactions from tonight:

@kateyrich:
Somewhat incredibly, CABIN IN THE WOODS lived up to the hype-- maybe the first Whedon project to do that for me. What a blast.
@HQ10
So yeah, CABIN IN THE WOODS is a lot of fun. Clever, too, which I don't often say. Not the best things ever, but definitely worth seeing.

@JarettSays:
'Cabin in the Woods' is FAN-tastic! Do your best to avoid reading ANYTHING about it before viewing. Go in cold. Trust me.

@davidehrlich
CABIN IN THE WOODS: best film of 2012, so far. stabs at deconstructing horror films bleed into ecstatic essay on why we need our monsters.

@erincmccarthy
If I could marry any movie, it would be THE CABIN IN THE WOODS.

@misterpatches
Cabin in the Woods may be the most crowd-pleasing movie I've ever seen.

@rejects
Cabin in the Woods… yawn.

Senoculum

Been waiting a long for this movie. After I read the script, I really wanted to see it get made; charming, violent, and the structure was really tight. Difficult movie to market, since it's loaded with jokes and pokes fun at horror tropes.

Glad to see the trailer makes up for that lackluster teaser.

Loxley

I've never even heard of this movie before, so when I watched the trailer I definitely didn't see the...well, what I guess I'll call the Assassin's Creed twist coming. Definitely looks interesting.

It's a shame we don't see that many sci-fi-horror/thriller movies, seems like the two are a great pair when done well.

adg1034

Minneapolis showing is a go! (Go through Bloody-Disgusting, for those who care; it's not on the list Plainview linked.)

Holy shit, this movie. I love films where you have NO idea what is going to happen in the very next frame and this is one of them for the most part. Once GAF sees it, they are going to completely lose their shit. I honestly don't want to spoil anything about it. Just see it ASAP when it comes out in April.

5amshift

Banned
Might make the Boston screening! Been dying to see this. Do we need anything like a print out ticket? Or just show up and get in line?

Blader

Might make the Boston screening! Been dying to see this. Do we need anything like a print out ticket? Or just show up and get in line?

You need a print out ticket, a college ID (I think? might depend on where you get your pass from), and should show up at least an hour early because they always overbook these things.

anaron

Holy shit, this movie. I love films where you have NO idea what is going to happen in the very next frame and this is one of them for the most part. Once GAF sees it, they are going to completely lose their shit. I honestly don't want to spoil anything about it. Just see it ASAP when it comes out in April.

Are you making an OT, Expendable?

Saw this tonight in Columbus, and loved it.

I went in not really expecting much (outside of being a fan of Goddard and Whedon). I came away from it totally impressed. It's surprisingly funny, and pokes fun at a lot of the genre conventions while not diverging completely into comedy. The third act is completely incredible too.

Go in knowing as little as you can. It's something special. Hopefully enough people will talk about it being more than the title lets on, because this movie could surprise a lot of people.

Also got a Q&A with Drew Goddard, and Kristen Connolly. I got to ask my question, and got Drew to sign my Cloverfield DVD! It was a good time all around. People should see this movie.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this comes out friday, correct?

why am i so freaking excited about this movie? i know almost nothing about it, but cannot wait. i think i'm always looking for the next CABIN FEVER--equal parts terrifying and hilarious. this seems to fit the bill.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
The gf and I are going to see it this weekend. I haven't watched a single trailer, and I really don't know much about it other than the incredible rave reviews it keeps getting. And I want to keep it that way! Looking forward to seeing what it's all about...

adg1034

You guys. This movie.

You guys.

There will be blood. And humor. And blood. And a motorcycle. And maybe some more blood. And someone you probably don't expect to see. And waves of... well, you'll see. And a bong.

And you will fucking love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom