• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Cancelled Oblivion: PSP Revealed

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It looks great, but I'm not sure about playing an Elder Scrolls game with one analog stick.
There's always "The Claw" control scheme on PSP so it would be the D Pad plus the Analog Pad.

Taker34

Banned
Borman is killing it once again. This footage is absolutely amazing, I can't believe someone actually had access to those builds. If there's any way that these become public... we would owe you and a few other guys a lot! It would certainly make up for the fact that this gem was never released.
I have so many questions like: How long are these demos? Is it something which can be considered far into development? How amazing are you, Borman?

Always love seeing unreleased things like this getting released afterwards. Game looks surprisingly decent for what it was. 2007 me would've eaten this up.

Peltz

Blown-up footage looks better than a lot of 3DS games. Shows how far ahead of its time the PSP was.

You've probably never even owned one if you're willing to just shit out a post like that. Just because the games are third party doesn't mean they don't exist.

I'm pretty sure it was sarcasm.

Borman

Its hard to say length. The early one is like 10 or 15 minutes. There is a lot more to the larger one. I skipped around a lot to get this video out quicker.

Load times are fine, look at the extended video. I didn't cut anything on the second one

Blown-up footage looks better than a lot of 3DS games. Shows how far ahead of its time the PSP was.

Both systems are mostly limited by game budget when it comes to visuals. It just costs way to much to try and take advantage of portable systems for great visuals given the usual retail price of games and low sales expectations.

Defuser

I always if the west was very receptive and supportive for handheld like how they do with consoles would we have gotten all these cancelled games like Oblivion,Saint's Row,Bioshock.etc?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Woah. I never knew this was in development.

Really? OPM had it listed in their Oblivion port coverage.

Anyway, the fact it was a hub world isn't surprising given Persona 3: Portable's retrofit to the console. But I don't think finding that out on "release"/launch would've been a good idea. From what OPM hyped it was sounding like a open-world sort of thing a la the Elderscroll's normally. And looking at the screenshots, it gives that impression.

I always if the west was very receptive and supportive for handheld like how they do with consoles would we have gotten all these cancelled games like Oblivion,Saint's Row,Bioshock.etc?

Except in the West the PSP did sell. For two years of it's life (2005-2007) the hardware was decently selling. The games weren't selling and that's what lost developer support. IIRC Piracy soon became rampant around 2007 but there was a time where GTA:LCS (and VCS) were selling really well with the hardware because of the GTA3-VC-SA series' mania at the time.

Jb

Its a PSP game...

And honestly I can't blame Bethesda for cancelling it considering how much that system struggled in the West after the first few years. I do feel bad for the team who tried their hardest to make it work and never got any credit for doing it though.

Tregard

Soothsayer
You've probably never even owned one if you're willing to just shit out a post like that. Just because the games are third party doesn't mean they don't exist.

Playing through Persona 4 Golden on mine at the moment actually. Just a little joke, we like to have fun here.

Borman

What is the control scheme? Didn't see the question asked before but if it has been, sorry.

Joystick moves/turns. Hold R and move it to aim. L strafes with the stick but also seems to target some. Then buttons and dpad do things hah

It runs smoother then I expected it too, for the most part.

If the combat was slightly improved and there was plenty to do I think it would have been a good handheald version of oblivion.

Defuser

Except in the West the PSP did sell. For two years of it's life (2005-2007) the hardware was decently selling. The games weren't selling and that's what lost developer support. IIRC Piracy soon became rampant around 2007 but there was a time where GTA:LCS (and VCS) were selling really well with the hardware because of the GTA3-VC-SA series' mania at the time.

That maybe one factor but you forget people with PS2 were port begging becasue they refused to drop $$$ for a PSP.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

as the combat mechanics (which allowed the player to sub-select parts of an enemy when targeting them, due to only having one analogue stick on the PSP),

Doesn't look like it's here in the small bit I watched. Though that sounds like the beginning of VATS.

That maybe one factor but you forget people with PS2 were port begging becasue they refused to drop $$$ for a PSP.

You could say the same with the PSP2. The problem wasn't the system not selling, the PSP did (unlike the PSP2). The problem was, after the initial push (*pause* Sounds like another system we know?) piracy became rampant to where games weren't released. Then because most of those games weren't being released or low-selling, they became PS2 ports (despite the PS2 being able to be pirated to death as well IIRC) because that had a muuuuuuuuuuuch higher userbase compared to the PSP.

But the PSP hardware sold, pretty well in fact.

Stalk

Joystick moves/turns. Hold R and move it to aim. L strafes with the stick but also seems to target some. Then buttons and dpad do things hah

Ah right, I was trying to figure out if look was bound to another key or not hah. I would've gone with something like right hand buttons do movement and the nubbin does head movement with the dpad being bound to skills / extras.

Interesting anyway, thank you.

Seems like they had most of the foundations setup already, what a shame, I would have been all over this.

These videos made me remember how impressive the PSP was back in the day.

And here I thought the PS3 version would have been as bad as it got. I appreciate the ambition but, yeah, I can see why it was canned. Hell the actual game looks pretty okay for a damn PSP game in 2006 too.

Cornbread78

Really wish they could find a way to add trophies and port over to Vita. Even if it did have issues, I'd still gobble it up.

Top Bottom