• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships Wimbledon, 2016 |OT| Brexit at Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does tend to get said of any promising young(ish) Slam finalist with a powerful game - "he'll/she'll win one for sure in years to come". Obviously hasn't happened for the likes of Tsonga, Berdych, Soderling. But the odds are in Raonic's favour if he avoids injury - Murray and Djokovic can't stay at this level forever, and there's no one younger than him who's a threat yet on grass (Thiem's game doesn't suit it). But all it takes is one off day and you're out - and remember Goffin had BPs in the third set against him this year.

Baleoce

The big four lockout at Wimbledon continues - not since 2002 (Hewitt) has a man other than Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray won it.

Murray's defense was incredible today, and Raonic did well to hold serve 12 times in sets 2 and 3. The point Murray played at 4-1 in the TB was majestic. Think Murray got a bit nervous at the start of the third, his serve dropping and a few UEs creeping in, but Raonic couldn't take his 2 BPs. Apart from that, Murray hardly missed a ball in the last seven sets he played this year (from the final set against Tsonga till the title today).

This was the most clinical in general I've seen Murray play.

Diamond

HC season is starting up again. RIP to everyone not named Djokovic.

Remains to be seen if Djokovic will regain his motivation after winning Roland Garros. We'll see what happens at Toronto and Cincinnati

Holy jesus, the toxicity in this thread is insane. Especially around Milos.

Like what did he do, kill your dog?

It's not just this thread, it's like that all year. Tennis is a frustrating sport for a lot of people, I guess.

It does tend to get said of any promising young(ish) Slam finalist with a powerful game - "he'll/she'll win one for sure in years to come". Obviously hasn't happened for the likes of Tsonga, Berdych, Soderling. But the odds are in Raonic's favour if he avoids injury - Murray and Djokovic can't stay at this level forever, and there's no one younger than him who's a threat yet on grass (Thiem's game doesn't suit it). But all it takes is one off day and you're out - and remember Goffin had BPs in the third set against him this year.

Danger for Raonic is that he's between the Djokovic, Murray, Federer group and the new guys like Zverev and Kyrgios. Chances are they'll have matured enough when the old guard retires.

It's not just this thread, it's like that all year. Tennis is a frustrating sport for a lot of people, I guess.

Jesus, what is it about tennis that makes people like this? There's being sad your guy won, and then there's the Debbie Downers in this thread that are embarrassing themselves with their hyperbole and bitterness.

My man Soderling had way too many injuries so he doesn't count, but Milos is way stronger mentally than Tsonga or Berdych. He didn't fold against Murray and let's be honest here, there's absolutely no fucking way Tsonga or Berdych don't lose their cool and choke that game away against Federer if they were in Raonic's shoes.

Socreges

Banned
L o fucking L at Murray sucking up to Cameron. It's a hard job! Sometimes you even lead the UK out of the EU by accident!

Tennis-wise...Murray was great. Some excellent, difficult cross-court returns that broke Raonic. Then he outclassed Raonic in the tiebreaks. That's where Raonic's mental game needs to improve. He didn't seem as steady.

Math

I love Fed but the idea that this would have gone any differently seems premature.

Federer has beaten Murray the last 5 times including destroying him in last years semi final at Wimbledon. It's logical to think that it would have been a better and far closer match.

It was a tough draw for Federer. Cillic and Raonic were far more dangerous than Berdych and T'songa on grass. Federer threw the Raonic match away with his double faults in the fourth set.

Overall it was another poor slam. Ashame injury robbed us of seeing what Nadal could have done at the French or Wimbledon this year. He was certainly looking miles better than he was anytime last year.

Socreges

Banned
Holy jesus, the toxicity in this thread is insane. Especially around Milos.

Like what did he do, kill your dog?
He got a lot of hate when he first emerged. His powerful serve seems to frustrate people so when he loses they leap at the chance to pile on. He's rounding out his game but some snobs still aren't willing to give him any credit

Xun

NSFW?

13627125_10153729887451966_1760404914892964058_n.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
L o fucking L at Murray sucking up to Cameron. It's a hard job! Sometimes you even lead the UK out of the EU by accident!

Tennis-wise...Murray was great. Some excellent, difficult cross-court returns that broke Raonic. Then he outclassed Raonic in the tiebreaks. That's where Raonic's mental game needs to improve. He didn't seem as steady.

Literally the only thing he could have done this morning to make me less happy for him. I mean wtf.

RedShift

Maybe it was sort of backhanded, like 'it's a hard job... And you totally ballsed it up'

Ricker

Besides the first rainy week and all,it was a good Wimbledon and Canada did well,besides Genie who is busy shooting small videos of her sticking her tongue out for her Facebook fans lol... ;)

Thanks for the thread SmellyCat.

MIMIC

Banned
Meh.

I guess Raonic deserves a little slack for this being his first slam final as an outsider. I thought he would do much better than that, considering how well he has improved over the last 6 months.

clemenx

Banned
Sucks I was banned during the tourney :(

Federer service game at 40-0 in the 4th set was something from bizarro world. What a crazy choke. Can't be too mad because as he said himself a SF for him was an overachievement. Still, that freaking service game hurts. Hope he can improve for hard court season as he has been kinda poor overall since the comeback, maybe he doesn't and he's finally old either way I really appreciate being able to watch him reach these stages.

He probably would've been destroyed by Andy. I don't think his return game gets appreciated enough when it's in form. Too bad the final was boring, really wish Raonic would've won a tiebreak to gain some confidence.

On the ladies side I was so sad Domi waas dead on her feet for the QF. Her match against Aga was easily the best one in both sides. Rallies in the Final were awesome as well but Serena's serve was too much but it was a fun match. Left me wanting for more and wishing women played 5 sets as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom