• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The cheap S-IPS 27" 2560 x 1440 Korean monitor thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceebs

The reviews on Korean language sites tended to show a lot of calibration issues; gamma in particular was pretty bad out of the box on a lot of them, so I would recommend buying/renting/borrowing a colorimeter if you do not already own one.

There also seemed to be some issues with color uniformity, but that seems to be pretty typical of IPS technology these days, unfortunately.

I would be kinda skeptical of hooking something up that only does 720p to something this res in the first place.

Even 1080p looks kinda bad in games on them.

MrBig

On windows? I've only ever seen buttons get smaller and smaller as I graduate in resolutions.
That's what I said... It scales the UI with resolution instead of resizing assets to a res different than what they were authored at. In the case of this panel it's 109 dpi which is about the same as how icons would look on any 20" 1080p monitor.

kehs

Banned
That's what I said... It scales the UI with resolution instead of resizing assets to a res different than what they were authored at. In the case of this panel it's 109 dpi which is about the same as how icons would look on any 20" 1080p monitor.

Hmm, I guess I'm underestimating how big 27" actually is. 109 pp isn't far off from the 100 I'm using right now.

Thanks.

coldfoot

Banned
Is it the one that is going for $650 atm? I would to get that monitor so I can too, hook up the consoles but that is alot of money for additional inputs.
Overlord Tempest X270ME is $369, add $25 for Pixel Perfect version + shipping. You can also check your local Microcenter for the Auria monitor that has those inputs for $399.
Or you can get the Nixeus Vue from Amazon for $469: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008M08SN6/?tag=neogaf0e-20 or $449: http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?id=1218348

This is exactly what I've been looking for. Wanted to upgrade to 2560 after getting a GTX 680. And american ones are ridic expensive.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
does anyone know which monitors are or can be overclocked to 120hz?

edit: i dont even know how to find matte models

Mii

Banned
I've been looking into these on and off for the last two weeks, but this thread has already been very useful. It sounds like we have a lot of Crossover fans?

I bought a Shimian recently and am very happy with my purchase. I highly recommend looking into purchasing one if you are in the market for a new monitor.

Foolworm

If you are really looking for something with more input options, I recommend getting this model:

http://www.compuplus.com/Monitor/Nixeus-Vue-WQHD-27inch-S-1218348.html

The other models don't necessarily have the ability to drive the full resolution at anything other than DVI-D due to HDMI 1.3. This one can though - depends if you want to pony up the extra cash for it.

I got the Catleap, and even though my laptop has a DVI-D port, I can't get the full resolution because my graphics card is a GTX 260M. It's a software issue - I know that it can drive that thing.

TrounceX

I think I'll keep an eye on this thread for a while and try to help out.

I spent an absurd amount of time researching these monitors over the summer, and currently own an Achieva IPSI.

Some quick things to know off the top of my head that might help someone:

• Don't stress over dead pixels - the pixels are small it's very hard to notice. Simple dust particles are bigger and more obnoxious.
  • Do not buy a tempered glass version, even if you have a controlled environment. The light from the screen is enough to turn it into a mirror.
  • No internal scaler = no input lag. I play Stepmania on this monitor perfectly and that game is the definition of time sensitive.
  • Conversely, internal scalers with an OSD (on screen display) WILL have noticeable lag. I've tested them both side by side and it IS noticeable.
  • To power the monitor in the US you can just buy a universal 3 prong power cable and plug it into the supplied power brick. They are like $5 on Amazon.

Bacchus

Banned
Man I wish we could get some honest impressions with 120hz vs 60 hz on 1440p ips. Well, more like 97 hz because that's the limit for fermi cards

I spent an absurd amount of time researching these monitors over the summer, and currently own an Achieva IPSI.

• Don't stress over dead pixels - the pixels are small it's very hard to notice. Simple dust particles are bigger and more obnoxious.
  • Do not buy a tempered glass version, even if you have a controlled environment. The light from the screen is enough to turn it into a mirror.

[*]No internal scaler = no input lag. I play Stepmania on this monitor perfectly and that game is the definition of time sensitive.
  • Conversely, internal scalers with an OSD (on screen display) WILL have noticeable lag. I've tested them both side by side and it IS noticeable.
  • To power the monitor in the US you can just buy a universal 3 prong power cable and plug it into the supplied power brick. They are like $5 on Amazon.

is this true. no input lag? O_O

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

• No internal scaler = no input lag. I play Stepmania on this monitor perfectly and that game is the definition of time sensitive.

thanks for the advice man.

is the Achieva IPSI your personal recommendation for a korean monitor?

TrounceX

Having only one input and no OSD supposedly helps with input lag, but there is SOME input lag.

Yeah surely there is some, every monitor has some lag.

But like I said, I play rhythm games on this monitor at an extremely high level. If there was lag, surely it would be evident there.

thanks for the advice man.

is the Achieva IPSI your personal recommendation for a korean monitor?

Actually no because the IPSI is tempered glass. That's my biggest regret.

If I was to buy now I would look heavily into the Auria 27in being carried at Micro Center. Having a warranty is huge.

I'd say overall though my recommendation would be the original Achieva Shimian Lite. Such a phenomenal deal. The other models may have some slight advantages (for example Crossovers have better stands etc) but truth be told, all you really want is the display, and in that regard they're all the same. Might as well get the cheapest one imo.

Mii

Banned
Based off of what you're saying then, I would think the Shimian QH 270-lite would be ideal, which seems to be sitting around $336 for pixel perfect and $285 for standard. Would you say not to worry about potential pixel problems? Is the extra $50 worth the piece of mind?

Other posters above preferred the Crossover 27Q at $347 (pixel perfect at $447). Of the four, it sounds like you'd recommend the Shimian at $285?

surly

Banned
Based off of what you're saying then, I would think the Shimian QH 270-lite would be ideal, which seems to be sitting around $336 for pixel perfect and $285 for standard. Would you say not to worry about potential pixel problems? Is the extra $50 worth the piece of mind?
I've been considering whether to buy one of these monitors for weeks now. There's 2 things that put me off: -

1. Import duty/tax (perhaps not an issue in the US)
2. Screen issues, including dead/lit pixels

It's easy enough to work out the tax, but regarding the "perfect pixel" guarantee that a lot of sellers offer, it seems that it isn't really much of a guarantee. I've read a lot of forum posts about this and what often happens is that you do end up with a dead/stuck pixel or two, then when you contact the seller they offer you a partial refund.

This seller seems to go a bit further with his "perfect pixel" claims: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CROSSOVER...6239?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c27cc049f

But even then, the situation may end up being the same as I mentioned above.

Mii

Banned
Well I've made the plunge on a Shimian QH270-lite at $289 from green-sum. I'll report back within a week's time. Thanks for making me spend my money GAF.

aktham

I'm considering buying one of these monitors now. I was leaning towards the QH270-LITE until I found out it had a glossy screen.

Can somebody recommend me a monitor based on these priorities in order?

1. Accurate Colors
2. A screen will little/no glare
3. Low input lag (for gaming)
4. I don't need speakers or other inputs.

Reallink

Look up reviews on the Apple Cinema Display. Same panel. 8-bit damn near perfect color reproduction. Like all monitors though you get a huge benefit from calibration.

I assume you use Window's profiles or GPU driver adjustments for calibration? None of these monitors have white balance controls or any kind of picture adjustments save for backlight?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Just finished reading the summary article. I'm definitely going with either the achevia lite (as per trounce's recommendation) or the crossover. Now to research buying routes.

AllenShrz

How those monitors compare to a Dell dell u2410?

I have one of those and the Apple Panels dont look as good (color accuracy) but still, they are quite good.

tokkun

I assume you use Window's profiles or GPU driver adjustments for calibration? None of these monitors have white balance controls or any kind of picture adjustments save for backlight?

That's correct. So something to keep in mind is that if you have an Nvidia card, you are going to end up with gradient banding if you calibrate through the driver since they don't support 10-bit dithering on their consumer cards.

Also, many games will not accept driver-level calibration, so you will be stuck playing them in uncalibrated state.

MrBig

Crossover is generally recommended for build quality reasons. It has a full metal enclosure, and the hammered glossy black bezel is less annoying than glossy black plastic. The build quality of the shimian is quite poor, I assume that's why it is so cheap. Many people who got them have reported the top of the bezel covering pixels and some have received stands that were incapable of holding the monitor in position, letting it droop and wobble while typing, as well as the bezel allowing the power led to bleed onto the panel. There is a lot of discussion about all of the models over on overclock.net, dating back to the beginning of this year so you can read about a lot of people experiences.

I'd also recommend buying from Accessories Whole, Green Sum, or BigClothCraft, as they have the best reputation for dealing with and paying for returns.

Are any of these monitors HDCP compatible by any chance?

Crossovers are at least, yes

iIuetCEKdijTy.jpg

TrounceX

Other posters above preferred the Crossover 27Q at $347 (pixel perfect at $447). Of the four, it sounds like you'd recommend the Shimian at $285?

Not worth the price imo.

My screen has 3 dead pixels. The total times I've noticed the dead pixels? Zero. At this pixel density the actual pixels are TINY. You have to stare point blank at the screen to even find them. Regular old dust particles that would naturally accrue onto the monitor over time are bigger and more distracting. Unless you sit there with a microfiber cloth and clean your screen every minute, chances are you won't find some dead pixels too distracting.
Crossover is generally recommended for build quality reasons. It has a full metal enclosure, and the hammered glossy black bezel is less annoying than glossy black plastic. The build quality of the shimian is quite poor, I assume that's why it is so cheap. Many people who got them have reported the top of the bezel covering pixels and some have received stands that were incapable of holding the monitor in position, letting it droop and wobble while typing, as well as the bezel allowing the power led to bleed onto the panel. There is a lot of discussion about all of the models over on overclock.net, dating back to the beginning of this year so you can read about a lot of people experiences.

Yeah I've compared the Crossover and Achieva side by side, and it's true that the materials used in the Crossover are slightly better, and it looks like it would be more stable, but it's actually really not. Both are wobbly.

I can't comment on the issues people report with the bezel. Perhaps there were some build quality issues with the Achieva but it's by no means a frequent thing. Most seem to be perfectly fine, mine included.

This is kind of going back to my other point though. None of these monitors have GOOD stands, but it's not really a big deal. You'd have to have an extremely wobbly desk for it to affect you, and I can honestly say I've never once been inconvenienced by my Achieva's stand.

I've been considering whether to buy one of these monitors for weeks now. There's 2 things that put me off: -

1. Import duty/tax (perhaps not an issue in the US)

I'm almost positive you don't have to pay import tax in the US as there's some type of fair trade agreement. I didn't pay any import tax and neither did any of my friends who live in the US.

Are any of these monitors HDCP compatible by any chance?

Achieva's are HDCP compatible.

Just realized I'm kind of sounding like a shill for Achieva. I don't mean it like that. I just think it's the best value. It's like you want a better stand and absolutely no dead pixels? Suddenly you're looking at $100+ or more. Is it really worth it? Not to me that's for sure.

TimeKillr

I'm really interested in those, but my only concern is that I have a 660Ti, and nobody is listing them as compatible with those panels through a DVI-D connection. I know my card has a DVI-D port, and looking at it's specs the max resolution it can do is 2560x1600 so in theory it should work, but I'm concerned a bit still.

That plus I don't know what kind of performance I'd get in games too - I keep reading that my card has problems with resolutions higher than 1080p, so I don't know what I'd get a 1440p. (I have an i7 2660k, btw - CPU power really isn't an issue).

Anybody has any experience with that?

MrBig

Yeah I've compared the Crossover and Achieva side by side, and it's true that the materials used in the Crossover are slightly better, and it looks like it would be more stable, but it's actually really not. Both are wobbly.

I can't comment on the issues people report with the bezel. Perhaps there were some build quality issues with the Achieva but it's by no means a frequent thing. Most seem to be perfectly fine, mine included.

This is kind of going back to my other point though. None of these monitors have GOOD stands, but it's not really a big deal. You'd have to have an extremely wobbly desk for it to affect you, and I can honestly say I've never once been inconvenienced by my Achieva's stand.

The Crossover's stand it pretty stable, though I hate the glossy plastic cover on the base. I'll either take it apart and paint that with soft touch paint or buy a new stand.

The bezel covering pixels isn't extremely common, but it's just another variable in the lottery that you shouldn't have to deal with. Example of this issue

I'm really interested in those, but my only concern is that I have a 660Ti, and nobody is listing them as compatible with those panels through a DVI-D connection. I know my card has a DVI-D port, and looking at it's specs the max resolution it can do is 2560x1600 so in theory it should work, but I'm concerned a bit still.

That plus I don't know what kind of performance I'd get in games too - I keep reading that my card has problems with resolutions higher than 1080p, so I don't know what I'd get a 1440p. (I have an i7 2660k, btw - CPU power really isn't an issue).

Anybody has any experience with that?

Any card with Dual Link DVI is compatible with these. There are some older radeon cards that can't show the post screen for whatever reason though.

660ti is fine for this res, you just may have to keep the AA and a couple settings down to maintain 60fps.

SmartBase

I'm just wondering about how you would calibrate the colours on these for games seeing as how they don't have the controls for it.

mavs

How those monitors compare to a Dell dell u2410?

I have one of those and the Apple Panels dont look as good (color accuracy) but still, they are quite good.

Pretty similar in terms of technology and overall performance. The u2410 is a wide-gamut monitor and therefore displays a wider range of colors; this means it is more inaccurate than these 27" sRGB monitors when displaying unmanaged content (which is basically everything if you aren't a photo editor.) Out of the box color accuracy was notoriously bad on the u2410, these monitors probably aren't any better. The u2410 has aggressive anti-glare coating which makes the picture look grainy, these imports all(?) have glossy surfaces which makes glare and reflections from direct light an issue.

If you lucked into a perfect specimen of the u2410 it will not have any color disuniformity, backlight bleed, or dead pixels. These imports are guaranteed to have a minor case of one of those, though it may be so minor as to be unnoticeable. The u2410 also has a fancier LUT and should not have any problem with banding. These monitors shouldn't either, but they are bare-bones enough that I have to wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom