• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's predict games that will be hard to find/expensive in the near future

cantona222

This idea came to me when I saw threads about recent games that became hard to find. here are few examples:

-Pikmin 3:
Released on August 4, 2013.
Price for new in Amazon is $95
Price for used in Ebay is $60

-Xenoblade Chronicles:
Released on April 2012
Price for new in Amazon is $90
Price for old in Ebay is $60

-Kirby's Return to Dream Land:
Released on October 24, 2011
Price for new in Amazon is $120
Price for used in Ebay is $50

One member also predicted that Bayonetta 2 will be hard to find in the future. What do you guys think? What are the games that will be hard to find/expensive in near the future?

I don't think such a thing can happen anymore,in the age of digital gaming.
Now that every game has a digital version,people will not be willing to pay ridiculous prices for rare physical copies.

jimi_dini

Wonderful 101

Super Luigi Bros U (the physical one)

Now that every game has a digital version,people will not be willing to pay ridiculous prices for rare physical copies.

Of course they do. Physical >>>> digital, especially old PC games with lots of physical goodies included. Some old NES/SNES cartridges fetch insane prices, although those games are available on Virtual Console.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think such a thing can happen anymore,in the age of digital gaming.

Well, there's the matter of licensed games. In digital marketplaces they're pulled more or less instantly once the licence expires whereas physical retailers have the advantage of being able to sell through remaining stock.

Hatsune Miku Project Diva F (PS3)

Senran Kagura Physical Version

Class Of Heroes 2G

Xenoblade Chronicles X will most likely become rare too once its released along with Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem (Whenever that gets released)

Most of the games that become rare are usually ones that don't get that many copies printed.

EloKa

This idea came to me when I saw threads about recent games that became hard to find. here are few examples:

-Pikmin 3:
Released on August 4, 2013.
Price for new in Amazon is $95
Price for used in Ebay is $60

on german amazon you can get it anytime for 35€, any reason why the US version has such an high price?

Jb

on german amazon you can get it anytime for 35€, any reason why the US version has such an high price?

Different market so different inventory? It maybe sold better in NA relative to how many copies they printed compared to what it did in PAL.

Menome

Murdered: Soul Suspect. Barely anybody bought it and with Airtight Games having folded straight after release, it's unlikely to have much in the way of stock replenishment. Won't be ludicrous prices, but certainly a higher than expected curioso.

mrmickfran

I highly doubt that Nintendo is gonna continuously pack Bayonetta with its sequel.

I don't see Captain Toad physical staying around that long either.

I REALLY should start hunting for a copy of Pikmin 3.

sphinx

the piano man
Certain Wii U games will hold their value for years to come.

I don't believe so. At least not during the console's life.

I've been following ebay/amazon WiiU games and at least in europe, nothing will be rare, even the examples in OP aren't rare.

the only exception so far is hyrule Warriors, limited edition with scarf.

mrmickfran

This might be the first time in history that a Fire Emblem game doesn't go out of print within the console's lifetime.

Saladinoo

That £80 collector's edition Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5, same with the £80 Type-0 HD coming out soon. Sorry, I know it's just the limited edition's, but I expect them to be worth $$$$

Persona7

Banned
Tales of the Abyss 3DS was already a limited run so i suspect that will eventually become expensive/hard to find

I think that one went out of stock on amazon for a short period but came back. I remember hysteria about that game at launch but I think they just undershipped it? Tales games typically go in and out of print. Even Vesperia on 360 is easily available and has definitely been reprinted a few times.

KyleCross

This is just par for the course on a lot of Nintendo published games. They almost never price-drop and they hold back on new printings. I always say if you're interested in a Nintendo game you're best off buying it day 1 because unlike other publishers you're probably not going to be grabbing it at a cheaper price a few months later, and you usually feel discontent dropping $60 on a game that's been out awhile.
I wonder when The Wonderful 101 is going to run out. Every store around me tons of copies that just sit there.
Ironically I saw someone on GAF a few weeks back lamenting about not being able to find a copy anywhere and wondering if it has gone rare. Definitely not the case around here.

Can you elaborate more please. What is the story behind the reverse artwork copy?

The initial run of Japanese and US versions had this:

271990-header.jpg

As a reversible cover. I thought it was for the initial run, so I'm thinking they may be hard to come by in the future. EU didn't get the reversible cover so I did what any sane person would do and imported a Japanese copy as well.

I don't believe so. At least not during the console's life.

I've been following ebay/amazon WiiU games and at least in europe, nothing will be rare, even the examples in OP aren't rare.

the only exception so far is hyrule Warriors, limited edition with scarf.

Xenoblade for the Wii was super common at one point too. It's now in the 50 € range...and rising.

Give it time, certain GameCube and DS games are starting to get rare too.

I always thought Zack and Wiki would for some reason but nope.

Now I'd guess Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors.

It's different now with digital games though. I don't think much of any will be really really sought after like some used to be.

Bowl0l

All Nintendo games because their digital download games price rarely drops...
DS games can't be bought in 3DS eshop... I don't know about WiiU eshop...
Now I am buying PC download games instead. Go PC XD

Top Bottom