• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Comic Book Start Up Guide (The Big Thread of Comic Q&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the quickest and 'cleanest' website that I can go to for current and future releases? Preferably someplace that I can create a list to filter out stuff I don't want to track. Does a site like this exist? Also what's the best way to keep up on future releases? Specifically TPB releases.

Recommend me something similar to Invicible. I enjoy the drama more than the gore.

Comic Book Roundup is a metacritic esque aggregate review site for comics.

You can create pull lists for your favorite comics to see when they update. As well as creator watch lists to stay current with your favorite authors & artists. It's my personal favorite site for stuff like this.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Heh, folks at Comixology must have read your mind, Zombine

https://www.comixology.com/Getting-Started/page/495
ganHidN.jpg

More like "Getting Started Reading Marvel."

This is a great thread! I have a fair share of floppes and trades, but my main love is omnibuses! I just picked up Annihilation Saga.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I've been recommended this by a few people but I hated the first trade. Does it get better or is the series not for me?

Maybe not for you, I thought it was good from the beginning. I would love for the movie to adapt this Trench storyline. Could be visually stunning and creepy as fuck.

Apt101

Great OP and thread Zombine.

If it hasn't been mentioned, finding a friendly comic shop is a good way to go when starting. Those people field questions all day and can usually help you decide on things you'd really like.

antispin

It's 5am here and I just burned through all 5 issues of Wytches thanks to this thread. Great stuff. OP needs more Alan Moore though.

Sandfox

My suggestions:
-Explanations as to why a book is being recommended so that people have an easier idea of finding something that appeals to them.
-Most new people are intimidated by the Marvel and DC universes so adding a little explanation about New 53 and (All-New) Marvel Now as well as possibly explaining things like what the 616 and Earth-0 could help them out.
-Give each company a little intro because while most people know Marvel and DC, the same isn't true when it comes to companies like Image and their various offerings. There are even long time readers who have never bothered to venture out of Marvel and DC.

It's 5am here and I just burned through all 5 issues of Wytches thanks to this thread. Great stuff. OP needs more Alan Moore though.

Alan Moore can be hit or miss for some people. Promethea, Top 10, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, absolutely. But man, Lost Girls was shit.

SpotAnime

Another good option for trades is TFAW.com and their nick and dent section. Huge discounts and my books have always arrived in like new condition.

Also, great work OP - but not to crap on this thread but WTF comics nowadays? Marvel/DC are so buried in alternate dimensions and dead characters reborn for the 10th time, or indie labels publishing such niche books I'd be ashamed to be seen reading in public. That's why all I read nowadays is licensed books based on TV or movies like X-Files or IDW G.I. Joe/Transformers comics and Ghostbusters.

Yes, I'm that guy.

Marvel/DC are so buried in alternate dimensions and dead characters reborn for the 10th time, or indie labels publishing such niche books I'd be ashamed to be seen reading in public. That's why all I read nowadays is licensed books based on TV or movies like X-Files or IDW G.I. Joe/Transformers comics and Ghostbusters.

Yes, I'm that guy.

Image actually has an extremely diverse catalog going. They're easily my favorite comics publisher right now.

Zombine

Banned
Heh, folks at Comixology must have read your mind, Zombine

https://www.comixology.com/Getting-Started/page/495
ganHidN.jpg

Isaac you son of a bitch.

In regards to Alan Moore, his work is extremely hit or miss, and some of his other work like Halo Jones (which is god tier IMO) is a bit too deep for new readers. I will flesh it out throughout the weekend, but the only other Moore titles that will probably end up on the list are Swamp Thing and From Hell. The other titles such as Leage/Halo/Ect. are better left as books for intermediate fans to discover and read after they are familiar with a particular writer's style.

Parch

That's why all I read nowadays is licensed books based on TV or movies like X-Files or IDW G.I. Joe/Transformers comics and Ghostbusters.
That's not a bad way to go for new readers. Some of the licensed comics are really good and easy to get into. Since the reader is already familiar with the subject matter, there's not a lot of need for world building.

I was a fan of Dark Horse's Star Wars. I like their Conan comics as well. IDW did some Dungeons and Dragons that I really like.

If you really like a TV show or movie, there's a high probability that there are licensed comics for it.

Also, great work OP - but not to crap on this thread but WTF comics nowadays?

Yes, I'm that guy.
Considering how diverse Image and Valiant and the other non-Marvel/DC comics are, I don't see how anyone could have that option of current comics

And come on, there's no shame in reading Sex Criminals in public :p

Bacon

Just want to give a shoutout to the posters in this thread who suggested I read hawkeye. Absolutely loving it!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Alan Moore is far more hit than miss as long as you avoid Neonomicon and his non Supreme Image work. In fact I think you are selling League as a more difficult work than it really is. Volume 1 and 2 are pretty much Victorian Era Justice League and the Nemo stories are self contained (I believe you only need to read up to Volume 2 for the backstory). I would avoid recommending Black Dossier and Century though for reason of just plain meta weirdness.

Also if Top Ten isnt there I'll cut you, Zombine. Top Ten is the truth and the glory.
Plz put Top Ten on the list

Another good option for trades is TFAW.com and their nick and dent section. Huge discounts and my books have always arrived in like new condition.

Also, great work OP - but not to crap on this thread but WTF comics nowadays? Marvel/DC are so buried in alternate dimensions and dead characters reborn for the 10th time, or indie labels publishing such niche books I'd be ashamed to be seen reading in public. That's why all I read nowadays is licensed books based on TV or movies like X-Files or IDW G.I. Joe/Transformers comics and Ghostbusters.

Yes, I'm that guy.

If you haven't already, definitely try out the current Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series that IDW is publishing. It's great.

_Isaac

I remember reading a lot of the original Spider-Man comics that I'd get from the library, and I really enjoyed those. I've been trying to get into comic books for the last year and a half just to see how things have changed since then. Man, it's really hard to find anything good. I tried out the Marvel Unlimited thing and I got to read a lot of cosmic marvel stuff like from the early 00s. They were okay, but none of the stories were that interesting, and I really hated how the story was scattered all over the place in different character issues. It was annoying trying to read it in the right order. I stopped half way through the War of Kings arc I think. I also read the Civil War series because that sounded like an interesting premise, but it wasn't all that good. I then tried Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, and that one was pretty good, but there wasn't much of a story. The art was awesome though. After that, I kinda got tired of superhero comics. I always feel like I'm getting a small chunk of the whole story.

I definitely prefer non-superhero comics. It's unfortunate that Marvel Unlimited doesn't have all that much of it. That's why I've lately been going to Image comics a lot more, but even there it's a bit of a challenge. I've read East of West, which has amazing art, but the story is just too much. I've also read Manhattan Projects, which I did not like at all. I've read Saga of course, which has incredible art, fantastic characters, and a truly interesting world. That's probably the best comic book series I've ever read. That got me interested in Brian K Vaughan's other work Y: The Last Man. I only read the first few issues, and it was okay. I still haven't decided whether I should keep going with it. I really miss Fiona Staples art because Y just looks so plain.

If you haven't already, definitely try out the current Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series that IDW is publishing. It's great.

My only complaint is the pricing. The trades are $20 for a measly four issues. Reading monthly is fine, but they hit you at $3.99 a pop there, too.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Awesome thread, Zombine.
While most of us just complain about the comics situation in OT, you actually do something about it. Good man.

Question for Zombine: If I buy an omnibus, what is the best position to read it in? And can you supply a drawing of said position?

Hahaha. Oh man.

My only complaint is the pricing. The trades are $20 for a measly four issues. Reading monthly is fine, but they hit you at $3.99 a pop there, too.
The IDW struggle :( Their trades are crazy expensive for what they offer. At least the paper is nice.
Awesome thread, Zombine.
While most of us just complain about the comics situation in OT, you actually do something about it. Good man.

Hahaha. Oh man.
Please post the OORP, Kipp

Afrodium

Banned
I remember reading a lot of the original Spider-Man comics that I'd get from the library, and I really enjoyed those. I've been trying to get into comic books for the last year and a half just to see how things have changed since then. Man, it's really hard to find anything good. I tried out the Marvel Unlimited thing and I got to read a lot of cosmic marvel stuff like from the early 00s. They were okay, but none of the stories were that interesting, and I really hated how the story was scattered all over the place in different character issues. It was annoying trying to read it in the right order. I stopped half way through the War of Kings arc I think. I also read the Civil War series because that sounded like an interesting premise, but it wasn't all that good. I then tried Matt Fraction's Hawkeye, and that one was pretty good, but there wasn't much of a story. The art was awesome though. After that, I kinda got tired of superhero comics. I always feel like I'm getting a small chunk of the whole story.

I definitely prefer non-superhero comics. It's unfortunate that Marvel Unlimited doesn't have all that much of it. That's why I've lately been going to Image comics a lot more, but even there it's a bit of a challenge. I've read East of West, which has amazing art, but the story is just too much. I've also read Manhattan Projects, which I did not like at all. I've read Saga of course, which has incredible art, fantastic characters, and a truly interesting world. That's probably the best comic book series I've ever read. That got me interested in Brian K Vaughan's other work Y: The Last Man. I only read the first few issues, and it was okay. I still haven't decided whether I should keep going with it. I really miss Fiona Staples art because Y just looks so plain.

The things you liked are very good, and the things you didn't kind of aren't (except for MP) so it looks like you've got it. For some reason everyone recommends Annihilation, but it's a horrible entry point to Marvel. So is Civil War. If you want to give superhero comics another shot then just choose a hero you're interested in, Google their recommend runs, and read those. If you like Spidey then read Ultimate Spider-Man.

You could also just read some independent stuff. It will take a bit to figure out what writers you like but once you do you'll be good to go.

Kard8p3

I have a question! I'm fairly new to comics and wanna pick up the flash series by Geoff Johns. I'm curious if it comes in digital format? If not that's fine! I was simply wanting to get it and read it asap.

antispin

I've been enjoying it. I have a lot of Image books I love, but I'd still say this one is in the top ten. There was a recent issue where they did something really brilliant with a splash page that took place in a dance club of sorts:

Added to cart!

What's the GAF opinion on the TMNT series that's on sale @Comixology? Seems to be rated highly and 50% off seems like a good reason to jump in...

Messi

Stjepan Sejic sale on Comixology. Do yourselves a favour and pick up Sunstone Vol 1 and all of Death Vigil. Both are lovely charming stories with great art. Especially Sunstone :p

Can anyone speak for the quality of the New X-Men Omnibus? Have some of the trades, but I'm thinking of getting the collected edition, if it's of decent quality. Cheers!

Zombine

Banned
I have a question! I'm fairly new to comics and wanna pick up the flash series by Geoff Johns. I'm curious if it comes in digital format? If not that's fine! I was simply wanting to get it and read it asap.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/GREEN-LANTERN-BY-GEOFF-JOHNS-OMNIBUS-HC-VOL-01/SEP140319

tumblr_inline_njr1ukalOc1qjs7hm.gif

Can anyone speak for the quality of the New X-Men Omnibus? Have some of the trades, but I'm thinking of getting the collected edition, if it's of decent quality. Cheers!

http://youtu.be/khkNt6H_bTc

tim1138

It is!
His Wally West run is in this series - https://m.comixology.com/The-Flash-1987-2009/comics-series/419?Issues_pg=1 - and covers issues 164-225.

His short pre Flashpoint Barry Allen run is here - https://m.comixology.com/The-Flash-2010-2011/comics-series/4094

And then Flashpoint is here - https://m.comixology.com/Flashpoint/comics-series/5872

So I usually buy digital comics on Comixology, but I just recently grabbed some digital comics from an online bundle site. I wanted to edit the metadata in ComicRack but I am running into huge issues with ComicVine. The site will not let me login or retrieve my password and it is a buggy mess. Is there an alternative way to scrape data or another site or plugin I can use? Every thing I search for on Google leads back to ComicVine. =(

Edit: I figured it out, I had to dig up an old password which was sorted under whiskeymedia.

xptoxyz

Hey, maybe something can help me out here. I'm thinking of signing up for Marvel Unlimited at least to try it out and was scanning through the catalogue trying to find out which series to first jump on if I do sign up (suggestions are VERY welcome*).

As someone who hasn't read comics steadily probably ever, I do think I understand creators change a lot in most series and so does quality, so reading an Arc makes more sense than an entire series sometimes. The browsing for Marvel doesn't seem to help see points where the series restarted too well. As an example, I read the start of Ultimate Spider back in the day and was thinking that was a series I might check out again. Still, it seems I can't find some issues on there.

This seems to be the main run:
http://marvel.com/comics/series/466/ultimate_spider-man_2000_-_2009

134-151 ??? (wikipedia seems to say they renumbered to 1 and then back up ?)

Then the last ones with Peter:
http://marvel.com/comics/series/8509/ultimate_comics_spider-man_2009_-_2012

Miles (still not all on unlimited?):
http://marvel.com/comics/series/13831/ultimate_comics_spider-man_2011_-_present

then these?:
http://marvel.com/comics/series/18508/miles_morales_ultimate_spider-man_2014_-_present

*if it helps out I kinda open to reading most characters, mostly familiar with the big names, are those feuds that happened in the last few years with Cyclops and Wolverine good? Where to start?

edit: I guess the feud did lead to the recommend "all-new x-men" in the op?

Added to cart!

What's the GAF opinion on the TMNT series that's on sale @Comixology? Seems to be rated highly and 50% off seems like a good reason to jump in...

I'm not the biggest TMNT-head but it's by far my favorite rendition of the characters and world. The price for it right now is GREAT. Buy now if interested.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Sounds good, I'll get into that after I finish all these issues I have on comixology.

TheFallen

There are new release sites which I will add tonight, but my personal preference is the Midtown Comics app. It updates the same day as new comic Wednesday between 1-2pm EST, and what's cool is they also include collected editions, figures, statues, and other merch for the following week.

League of Comic Geeks is worth checking out. You can see all of the upcoming releases for months ahead, track them with a pull list and manage your collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom