• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Comic Book Start Up Guide (The Big Thread of Comic Q&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afrodium

Banned
Thanks to this thread I realized that Image trades cost the same as buying issues as they come out (except for volume 1s) and that buying digital singles makes more sense for buying trades of series you're behind on. I tend to trade-wait for everything Image but I think I'm gonna stop doing that.

Thanks to this thread I realized that Image trades cost the same as buying issues as they come out (except for volume 1s) and that buying digital singles makes more sense for buying trades of series you're behind on. I tend to trade-wait for everything Image but I think I'm gonna stop doing that.

Singles of Image books are usually far cheaper (excluding Volume 1s). Okay not far cheaper, but anywhere from $1-$5 for the same issues. At least if you wait the month for them to drop down to $2

kOEHC.jpg

I would definitely skip out on Ultimatum, U. Hawkeye, and U. X-men, IMO.
Following this list...
Ultimatum...wat...
WTF

Jintor

Was the Batgirl series focusing on Cassandra Cain never turned into trades? Comixology has all the individual issues, which I guess is fine, but no volumes

It had trades. They're all out of print and DC just hasn't asked them to make digital volumes for it.

Thank god I bought half of them. They're not great but they exist.

Cass Cain is my favourite hero and I'm still angry over what they did to her before they wiped her from existance

tim1138

Will a 8gb Kindle Fire HD be able to hold a lot of comics?

A decent amount yeah. I have about 5.5gb of comics on my tablet and that includes about 30 issues of Silver Age Flash comics, four collections, and at least the last three or four issues of everything I read monthly. I'd say I have a touch over 50 comics plus the four collections currently in that 5.5gb.

Pilgrimzero

I've been reading All-New X-Men (where the original X-Men come to the current time period) and oh man is it good.

Haven't enjoyed an X-book like this in ages.

Currently up to the Battle of the Atom crossover.

I read Old Man Logan over the weekend, had no idea Hawkeye was going to be in it but after that and AoU my opinion of him has gone way up.

Also loved the Ultron cameo.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I've been reading All-New X-Men (where the original X-Men come to the current time period) and oh man is it good.

Haven't enjoyed an X-book like this in ages.

Currently up to the Battle of the Atom crossover.

Saw a preview of All-New X-men a while back was thinking about it, art looks amazing.

KingK

Great thread. I recently started getting into comics, but I'm only really buying TPB books since keeping up with new issues is too expensive for me.

I've been reading DC stuff. The new 52 Snyder Batman run is one of my favorites (btw, anyone know when a TPB of the Endgame storyline is supposed to come out? That's all wrapped up at this point right?). Just read the first volume of Aquaman too and loved it. Still planning on checking out Batman and Robin and the Green Arrow run people recommended.

I really wish DC had a subscription service like Marvel Unlimited though. It's fucking stupid not to at this point. Probably going to pick up a MU subscription before too long.

Caode

I've been contemplating delving into some Captain America this past few weeks. What would be some of the stronger runs, that also serve as a good introduction to the character, or just as a generally solid starting point?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I've been contemplating delving into some Captain America this past few weeks. What would be some of the stronger runs, that also serve as a good introduction to the character, or just as a generally solid starting point?

Ed Brubaker's run (renumbered starting with #1 back in 2004 or 2005) is pretty much all that you need. This is where the Winter Soldier arc comes from.

zeeaykay

If you buy the trades on IST it is still way cheaper than singles, whether it's the first volume or not.

Error

New 52 Aquaman is so fucking good, man what a fucking turn around for this character. Currently on Vol 2. I always liked Black Manta, but it was more because of his design. This book has finally given him a solid foundation as a character to pair up with his awesome design. IF Common is indeed Black Manta then solid choice, I guess, dude looks a lot like Black Manta but I'm still betting on him being Bronze Tiger. The art is incredible in this book, the colors are always so on point, I haven't come across a two-page spread in the series that I wouldn't want as a poster.

Just hoping they take a page from Aquaman New 52 for his characters, mythos and tone for the movie.

mjc

Definitely check out Brubaker's run like suggested, it's one of the best out of Marvel in recent memory. You can keep working through that and get to Remender's stuff which is also good.

Caode

Ed Brubaker's run (renumbered starting with #1 back in 2004 or 2005) is pretty much all that you need. This is where the Winter Soldier arc comes from.

Definitely check out Brubaker's run like suggested, it's one of the best out of Marvel in recent memory. You can keep working through that and get to Remender's stuff which is also good.

Thanks! I'll look into those.

Checking it out now. On Marvel Unlimited, why do issues in his run skip from #50 to #600?

tim1138

New 52 Aquaman is so fucking good, man what a fucking turn around for this character. Currently on Vol 2. I always liked Black Manta, but it was more because of his design. This book has finally given him a solid foundation as a character to pair up with his awesome design. IF Common is indeed Black Manta then solid choice, I guess, dude looks a lot like Black Manta but I'm still betting on him being Bronze Tiger. The art is incredible in this book, the colors are always so on point, I haven't come across a two-page spread in the series that I wouldn't want as a poster.

Just hoping they take a page from Aquaman New 52 for his characters, mythos and tone for the movie.

From issue 1 to 40 that run is fantastic and one of the most consistently good comics DC put out. Here's hoping the new creative team starting in June doesn’t screw things up.

Mudcrab

Checking it out now. On Marvel Unlimited, why do issues in his run skip from #50 to #600?

Sometimes comicbooks reset their issue numbers back to #1 for new creative teams or line wide rebranding (i.e. Marvel Now). For very special issues they'll use the book's legacy number, which is the issue number the book would have if they had never reset the count.

I've been reading DC stuff. The new 52 Snyder Batman run is one of my favorites (btw, anyone know when a TPB of the Endgame storyline is supposed to come out? That's all wrapped up at this point right?).

Well, the Vol.6 hardcover that comes out tomorrow collects various filler material. Vol.7 will be the Endgame book, but that's still a ways off. Given that it takes a long while (sometimes about a year) to go from hardcover to paperback, you've got a wait in front of you unless you're willing to spring the extra $5 for the hardcover right when it comes out. Either way, you'll be waiting a bit. DC's trade timelines are horrid.

Error

bubububu my money Imma go broke! :(

I'll probably get those. It's a good deal.

hamchan

I recommend reading Ultimatum so you can experience one of the worst comic books of all time, maybe the worst Marvel has to offer. It immediately makes everything else seem better by comparison, since now you'll always know nothing can be worse than Ultimatum.

I recommend reading Ultimatum so you can experience one of the worst comic books of all time, maybe the worst Marvel has to offer. It immediately makes everything else seem better by comparison, since now you'll always know nothing can be worse than Ultimatum.

Everything in the Ultimate universe save for Spider-Man was a waste of paper, but Ultimatum was the fucking dregs. I still can't believe they let it get worse than Ultimates 3

I'm interested in starting to read Batman comics seeing as the new film is out soon as all this talk of suicide squad it's got me interested in the dark side of batman (by this i mean crazy stories and creepy pictures)

I've seen death of the family mentioned a few times but if anyone can recommend a good place to start or a good series to follow (Literally no idea how comics work) i'd appreciate it!

Bookmarking this thread. I just started getting into comics a few weeks ago. So far I bought physical copies of Ant Man and I've been reading the 2008-2013 run of Guardians of the Galaxy on Marvel Unlimited. Also just read vol 1 oh Retroworld which was pretty awesome.

blackflag

I get in and out of comics every couple years.

Recently came back after a year or 2 absence and this is what I've been reading.

Saga (been catching up. I stopped after the first long break they took) Still awesome

Locke and Key - Almost done with the whole thing. I really enjoy it.

Sex Criminals - Amazing...I want new issues NOW

Wytches - Not sure about this one. First few issues were good but I'm not sure I like where they are going with it.

Black Science - Got the first volume but haven't started it yet.

Inhumans - Just reading this to get a feel as to who they are since I heard they are replacing mutants or something...It's not bad for the first 6 issues.

Too scared to really get back into Marvel though...It's a mess. I have Marvel unlimited so I'll just read good runs I missed out on like X-Force, Alias, etc. I did catch up on Miles Morales.

I'm interested in starting to read Batman comics seeing as the new film is out soon as all this talk of suicide squad it's got me interested in the dark side of batman (by this i mean crazy stories and creepy pictures)

I've seen death of the family mentioned a few times but if anyone can recommend a good place to start or a good series to follow (Literally no idea how comics work) i'd appreciate it!

Easiest thing to do is start from the first volume of the current series: Batman Volume 1: The Court of the Owls. It's very popular.

Batman: The Black Mirror is a good dark story too. However going into it just know that it is not Bruce Wayne as Batman as he was dead at the time, so Dick Grayson (Nightwing) was Batman. I don't remember it being particularly continuity heavy and it's self-contained.

Rooster12

Bunch of 1995 Batman comics drawn by Kelly Jones, stories were decent too:

batman-kellye-jones.jpg

If you want to read Suicide Squad I recommend anything written by John Ostrander, it was one of the best comics out at the time.

Caode

Just ordered Hawkeye Vol 1 after reading the positive words about it a few posts up.

Anyone reading Ms Marvel? Just looking at Volume 1 (No Normal) for a decent price here, tempted to give it a try.

I've always been more of a DC reader (read Spider-Man and X-Men though back in the day, haven't read them in years.. 15 plus) but I'm trying to broaden my horizons now with some Marvel titles, Captain America and Hawkeye so far, hopefully a few more too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom