• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Grand Illusion? Nice!

I'm super of jealous of that and anyone who has the Le Cercle Rouge blu. Can't get that anywhere, not even a non-Criterion release. One of my favourite films ever.

Only out of print release I have is The Third Man DVD. It's a good version, but I wish had caught the blu-ray version =[

Nah, the Grand Illusion Blu is really great, so owning the Criterion DVD isn't particularly impressive. It's kind of like the Criterion Robocop. Kind of cool to own because it's a coveted item (for some reason), but the new Blu-Ray is superior in every possible way in terms of picture, sound, and extra content. It just has a lousy cover, but I can live with that. ;)

Looking into OOP Criterions reminded me that I've wanted to pick up Billy Liar for years. Well I've just seen that it's been reissued by Studio Canal, so thanks for asking the question!

Don't have many OOP titles, just:
Rebecca, Spellbound, Notorious, Bob le Flambeur, Contempt, Le Circle Rouge, A Woman is a Woman & Pierrot le Fou

I've had a few in the past that I've sold off and upgraded though including Hard Boiled, Alphaville, Blood for Dracula, Silence of the Lambs and a few others.

Anybody remember when the OOP Salo DVD used to go for ludicrous amounts?
I remember I once bid £120 on The Killer..... but got outbid thankfully!

Chungking Express and Army of Shadows apparently.

Grand Illusion? Nice!

I'm super of jealous of that and anyone who has the Le Cercle Rouge blu. Can't get that anywhere, not even a non-Criterion release. One of my favourite films ever.

Only out of print release I have is The Third Man DVD. It's a good version, but I wish had caught the blu-ray version =[

Multi-region player or cheap B player would save you : )

XShagrath

Do you guys own any OOP Criterions?
I own all of them, except for the original Salo. I probably would have picked that one up too before the re-release if it wasn't so widely bootlegged.

Here's a wide view of the Collection (top three shelves). This doesn't include all the dvd versions I still need to upgrade to blu (which I moved to the other side of the room).

3uuE7agl.jpg

I own all of them, except for the original Salo. I probably would have picked that one up too before the re-release if it wasn't so widely bootlegged.

Here's a wide view of the Collection (top three shelves). This doesn't include all the dvd versions I still need to upgrade to blu (which I moved to the other side of the room).

3uuE7agl.jpg

Wow. So you don't sell/give away your old DVDs when you upgrade to Blu? That's what I do, too much clutter otherwise

XShagrath

Wow. So you don't sell/give away your old DVDs when you upgrade to Blu? That's what I do, too much clutter otherwise

I do, I'm just lazy. I have been meaning to post up some stuff in the B/S/T thread here, but haven't gotten around to it. Also not sure how much people would be willing to pay for a Criterion dvd anymore (since everyone's on the blu-train). I was thinking of $10 + shipping, but not sure. I've got the DVD of pretty much every release, with the exception of Man Who Fell to Earth, which I sold a while back.

I haven't upgraded all of them to blu yet, but I plan on it, so pulled them to make room. I've got the same style shelving built on the other side of the room as well. Still have plenty of room for growth. There's 9 shelves on each wall (and could fit more if I put another row directly on the floor, as there's just enough room for that). Two walls have them almost across the entire wall, and then the other two are like you see on the right there due to the window (and the closet on the other side).

I do, I'm just lazy. I have been meaning to post up some stuff in the B/S/T thread here, but haven't gotten around to it. Also not sure how much people would be willing to pay for a Criterion dvd anymore (since everyone's on the blu-train). I was thinking of $10 + shipping, but not sure. I've got the DVD of pretty much every release, with the exception of Man Who Fell to Earth, which I sold a while back.

I haven't upgraded all of them to blu yet, but I plan on it, so pulled them to make room. I've got the same style shelving built on the other side of the room as well. Still have plenty of room for growth. There's 9 shelves on each wall (and could fit more if I put another row directly on the floor, as there's just enough room for that). Two walls have them almost across the entire wall, and then the other two are like you see on the right there due to the window (and the closet on the other side).

You should definitely post those on the B/S/T thread. I think you can get the $10+sh. If not, you'll usually get people that pm you for deals on multiples purchases. I'm sure there are people here that would buy some on DVD. In the old thread, a user posted some stuff on the B/S/T and I think they sold rather quickly.

I just give them away to my aunt and my cousin, who both love movies but don't really buy Criterions because they're so pricey. During the last sale, I upgraded all of my Kurosawas to Blu (the ones that've been released so far, anyway) and gave the old DVDs to my aunt, she was really happy.

The question is, would I do the same thing if the Blu was non-Criterion? Hmm...sadly, probably not, lol. I still have the Grand Illusion DVD, even though I also have the Blu.

Just ordered my first Twilight Time Blu-Ray, The Man From Laramie. I own it on DVD and was disappointed to see it was going to be a TT release since they're pricey and barebones. I like all the Anthony Mann/James Stewart westerns though, especially this one, Winchester '73, and The Naked Spur. I hope those come out on Blu-Ray too.

I'm also fairly desperate for The Roaring Twenties to come out on Blu. One of my all-time fave gangster flicks! I hope Warner's doesn't forget about it altogether...

NekoFever

I own a number of them. Most notably The Third Man. It is the one I refuse to sell no matter what. It may be my favorite Criterion title, and if is the one I have watched the most.

My Third Man is still sealed. I want to watch it but I know I'd essentially be paying $100+ to open it.

XShagrath

Nice collection! I'll get there some day but have way too many hobbies splitting my income too many ways. I'm still missing about 200 blu-rays.

Downhome

My Third Man is still sealed. I want to watch it but I know I'd essentially be paying $100+ to open it.

If you stil have it sealed them just sell it. Forget about $100, it is more like $250-$300 if you list it the right way on eBay that people will pay you for it.

It may be my favorite disc, but I you rent going to watch it and someone else is willing to pay that much for it, then let it go.

You can grab the other Blu-ray release and open and watch it that way if you really want.

Downhome

My wife and I just got home from a day out and this beauty was waiting on the front porch in a box marked fragile. It is the Chaplin Mutual Comedies from Flicker Alley. I love how FA packages their items and ships them out. I didn't receive any shipping notification, but that's fine. They have a top notch quality product. Here are a few quick pictures I just took of my set...

0qhsD13.jpg

blMe36V.jpg

PNTh9hF.jpg

lGlKPNx.jpg

0mUTi8h.jpg

jsRe22x.jpg

omgkitty

Tootsie...yay? Kind of a weak month compared to past Novembers, but we get the Tati set in October so I guess I can't complain.

swoon

les blank and monte hellman are pretty good sets. first tastemaker criterion picks in the past couple of years.

That Hellman cover is hideous but I'm definitely interested in that and the Les Blank set. I guess the Les Blank titles have been up on Hulu Plus for a while so I'm not that surprised. Every month I keep hoping they'll finally announce Kiarostami's Koker trilogy but I keep coming back disappointed.

Hellman cover is...iffy, but I like the price, and the Les Blank set is awesome. I get the feeling they rushed It Happened One Night with Sarah Habibi doing a quick cover, not it looks too skimpy a release. L'Avventura seems to be a great edition, not too hot on Tootsie.

I'll grab L'Avventura and It Happened One Night. I hope this means we will start getting Capra films on Blu...I'd really love to have Mr. Smith Goes To Washington and It's a Wonderful Life in definitive editions. I would even buy Arsenic & Old Lace.

Don't care about Tootsie, though...it hasn't aged well at all.

Yow, so it turns The Big Heat was a Twilight Time Blu Ray release and now it's going for $70 on Amazon...

I don't suppose there's anyone on GAF who watched it, hated it, and is willing to let it go for less than that. :p

Downhome

Yow, so it turns The Big Heat was a Twilight Time Blu Ray release and now it's going for $70 on Amazon...

I don't suppose there's anyone on GAF who watched it, hated it, and is willing to let it go for less than that. :p

That is one of only a few Twilight Time titles that I own. I'm so glad I picked it up when I did. There is one on eBay right now for just under $60. If you are interested, I'd go ahead and grab that one or another one soon. I think this BD will end up going quite a bit up.

By the way, there is a Criterion sale going on at Best Buy right now and it includes the upcoming Y Tu Mamá También for $20...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/s...Y3I&siteID=f7sX52tQY3I-FRsUaXhcAHbaRUrQCN_CXg

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/y-tu-ma...skuId=25224289&st=y tu mama tambien&lp=3&cp=1

swoon

upcoming kino releases

xSd0Yur.jpg

mauvais sang is a must have. and sidewalk stories was pretty rare until recently and is great, shame lane never broke as an director.

also twlight's fall release

nov. 11th
john frankenheimer's "birdman of alcatraz"
stanley kramer's "judgement at nuremberg"
jimmy t. murakami's "when the wind blows"
don siegel's "flaming star"
otto preminger's "bunny lake is missing"
yoji yamada's "the twilight samurai"

dec. 9th
barbra streisand's "yentl"
herbert ross's "funny lady"
stanley kramer's "inherit the wind"
oliver stone's "heaven and earth"
ronald neame's "the prime of miss jean brodie"
mike nichols's "the fortune"

big ander

I kinda love that Hellman cover.

Can't find any info on features for those Carax releases (or on the Carax box set coming in the UK), hope one of them happens to randomly have Strangulation Blues finally. Will also want to have Bunny Lake. Sidewalk Stories sounds fascinating

Crap, I might have to get Judgement at Nuremberg. I have the DVD and despite being a 'special edition' and having a number of extra features, it's missing one of the most important basic features of any DVD - it's not widescreen!

Bunny Lake is Missing, The Twilight Samurai...I have to grab those two as well.

The Criterion Collection sale is nice for those who missed the B&N one, but I'm going to have to pass, as most of the titles I'd be buying would just be upgrades to DVDs I already own. I think Deep Discount does a Criterion sale around December, don't they?

My copy of The Man From Laramie had been in my mailbox since Saturday. XD

Now to cross my fingers and hope the other Anthony Mann/Jimmy Stewart westerns get Blu-Ray upgrades...as well as El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Now to cross my fingers and hope the other Anthony Mann/Jimmy Stewart westerns get Blu-Ray upgrades...as well as El Cid and Fall of the Roman Empire.

El Cid and Roman Empire have both been out in Europe for a few years, although they're sourced from the Weinstein's 35mm restorations from several years ago instead of 70mm. It's only been 7 or 8 years since those were last done, so whether or not anyone bothers to remaster them again after a relatively short amount of time remains to be seen (i.e. not likely). They're a solid upgrade over the DVDs, just not as perfect as they could be.

El Cid and Roman Empire have both been out in Europe for a few years, although they're sourced from the Weinstein's 35mm restorations from several years ago instead of 70mm. It's only been 7 or 8 years since those were last done, so whether or not anyone bothers to remaster them again after a relatively short amount of time remains to be seen (i.e. not likely). They're a solid upgrade over the DVDs, just not as perfect as they could be.

They're not region-free releases, though, are they?

Top Bottom