• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Holy shit...seems like there was a definite screw-up during the production process for those discs.

Is there a master list of the discs that have gone bad? Or is it flat-out everything produced during that period?

Ridley327

It was a pretty safe bet that it was going to come at some point, but today's newsletter hint confirms Don't Look Now as a forthcoming title.

Ridley327

Twilight Time posted their slates for January and February, and there's a little bit of something for everyone:

THE BRIDE WORE BLACK (1968) BLU-RAY - Jan 20th

THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO (1985) BLU-RAY - Jan 20th

BREAKING AWAY (1979) BLU-RAY - Jan 20th

FRIGHT NIGHT: 30th Anniversary Special Edition (1985) BLU-RAY - Jan 20th

BANDIT QUEEN (1994) BLU-RAY - Jan 20th

LENNY (1974) BLU-RAY - Feb 10th

LOVE AND DEATH (1975) BLU-RAY - Feb 10th

THE ST VALENTINE’S DAY MASSACRE (1967) BLU-RAY - Feb 10th

STORMY WEATHER (1943) BLU-RAY - Feb 10th

TO SIR, WITH LOVE (1967) BLU-RAY - Feb 10th

ZARDOZ (1973) BLU-RAY - Feb 24th

Finally, Connery in a red diaper shooting people because a giant floating head told him that penises were evil, in HD.

Fox Mulder

Twilight Time posted their slates for January and February, and there's a little bit of something for everyone:

Finally, Connery in a red diaper shooting people because a giant floating head told him that penises were evil, in HD.

I thought fright night was gone so I ordered a region free release off the German amazon. Oh well, still only paid like $18 for it and I actually can watch it in October.

Ridley327

I thought fright night was gone so I ordered a region free release off the German amazon. Oh well, still only paid like $18 for it and I actually can watch it in October.

Yeah, I imagine that the German Blu-ray will be the best route to go for the near future, unless the Twilight Time re-release adds in significant new extras. They mentioned that the films they were going to be re-releasing would be getting new ones, but they didn't specify much of anything in that regard.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I got a two-weeks free from Hulu, and their Criterion selection is pretty huge now. I queued up way too many for the free period. And they look to all be HD...

And Love And Death it is from TT, they've proven to be a pretty awesome label.

Fox Mulder

I got a two-weeks free from Hulu, and their Criterion selection is pretty huge now. I queued up way too many for the free period. And they look to all be HD...

And Love And Death it is from TT, they've proven to be a pretty awesome label.

yeah, a Hulu plus sub can probably be justified on the criterions alone.

I've been meaning to dive into it, but have been watching the ones I've picked up first. Just got The Blob and Videodrome in the mail today.

Did anyone grab the new extended director's cut of Once Upon a Time in America? It's pretty amazing what they were able to accomplish given the subpar elements they had to work with. The booklet they included is great, just wish they had included the entire documentary on Leone instead of just a segment of it.

berzeli

Banned
So one of the top-tier region B labels, Arrow Films, have plans to expand to the US and they have put up a crowfunding page. Most of their releases are of "cult films", with dashes of world cinema and arthouse thrown in for good measure, and are quite comparable to criterion in terms of extras and overall quality.

They also have done some really impressive restoration work (e.g. Time Bandits, the films of Walerian Borowczyk) so if you're interested in what they have to offer you should totally check out the indiegogo campaign.

swoon

that's pretty wild, i love the look of their cases but it doesn't really seem like their unique releases(as proved by rewards) are going to help them standout in a pretty crowded market of minding the same decades for "cult" releases.

berzeli

Banned
that's pretty wild, i love the look of their cases but it doesn't really seem like their unique releases(as proved by rewards) are going to help them standout in a pretty crowded market of minding the same decades for "cult" releases.

Yeah, their launch line-up isn't the most exciting but they have published a lot of really cool stuff over here in region B - land so thought it would be a shame not to plug their campaign.

swoon

Yeah, their launch line-up isn't the most exciting but they have published a lot of really cool stuff over here in region B - land so thought it would be a shame not to plug their campaign.

yea. all the stuff i really like from them other companies released here mostly(just with lesser covers). i wonder if they'll be able to grab those releases from olive, t.t., cohen, etc vs just going against moc.

Fjordson

Just got an email for a 50% off flash sale for current stock on Criterion.com using the promo code SPIKE. 24 hours only.

Just got an email for a 50% off flash sale for current stock on Criterion.com using the promo code SPIKE. 24 hours only.

Yup, just got 3 movies for $60. I hope they're smart enough to ship out the latest version of Eraserhead.

also, for those of you who have the bad discs, read this

We have confirmed that certain Blu-ray discs pressed at a replication facility that we used for a period in 2010 have become defective, showing a noticeable bronze discoloration on the underside and developing playback problems. We have confirmed the problem on seven titles, though not on all copies of those titles. All of these titles have since been re-pressed at a different pressing plant, and the vast majority of discs in circulation should not be affected.

The potentially affected Blu-ray titles are:

Howards End
M
Paris, Texas
Pierrot le fou
The Seventh Seal
Summer Hours
Walkabout

If you have found that your Blu-ray copy of one of these titles does not play, please send your disc to the following address for a replacement:

Jon Mulvaney
The Criterion Collection
215 Park Avenue South
5th floor
New York, NY 10003

Please include only your disc—no packaging—along with the address to which you’d like us to mail your replacement. We will not be replacing or exchanging packaging. There is no need to email us in addition.

If we learn that other titles are similarly defective, we will add them to this list and continue to replace them as well.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

I have all of those discs, dammit. Gonna send them out next week The best part is that they're willing to exchange Pierrot le fou, which they don't have the rights to produce new copies for anymore. Very happy with that news!

omgkitty

Yup, just got 3 movies for $60. I hope they're smart enough to ship out the latest version of Eraserhead.

also, for those of you who have the bad discs, read this

I have all of those discs, dammit. Gonna send them out next week The best part is that they're willing to exchange Pierrot le fou, which they don't have the rights to produce new copies for anymore. Very happy with that news!

I own 5 of the 7 of those. I know my copy of Walkabout is messed up, but I never checked any of the others. Guess I'll have to look when I get home.

Ridley327

I had to splurge a bit and grab Eraserhead, All That Jazz, The Innocents, Vengeance is Mine, and Y tu mama tambien. You're lucky I get paid tomorrow, Criterion!

XShagrath

I own four of the listed titles (and more that are possibly affected, according to another list). Only two of them are showing the "bronzing," but I think I'm going to send in all four discs anyways. Who knows if they'll display those signs later down the road, and Pierrot Le Fou and Howard's End are OOP.

As for the flash sale, I'll just be holding off until B&N's November sale. I was able to get quite a few titles for about $16 each in July. Hopefully I'll be able to repeat that this go-around.

xsarien

daedsiluap
This is amazing. I'm double-dipping on Fear and Loathing and AHDN, but the rest are movies I'd love to own on Blu-Ray, and the usual Criterion extras just sweeten the deal.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Eraserhead
The Blob
A Hard Day's Night
Scanners
Wild Strawberries
Being John Malkovich

overcast

Better yet, I loved 400 Blows, what's the next best Truffaut?

Either Truffat + Goddard, or I might just buy Three Colors trilogy.

omgkitty

Yeah I have a hard time buying DVD's now. Just seems pointless when I know it will come to blu-ray at some point most likely.

I feel like buying The Shop on Main Street anyway, since it might not get an upgrade for a long time and I want to vote with my wallet.

Also a tough DVD to find on sale at B&N locations, so the store-only discounts wouldn't help me.

cj_iwakura

Hoping someone can jar my memory. I saw a Criterion short film once, possibly from a collection, about a man trying to meet a woman at a bakery and win her affections. I recall it was kind of a haunting black comedy. Possibly a French film? It was definitely B&W. Thanks in advance.

Fox Mulder

Yeah I have a hard time buying DVD's now. Just seems pointless when I know it will come to blu-ray at some point most likely.

I prefer bluray for the better quality obviously, but lots of stuff will never get bluray releases, or just severely limited run through someone like Twilight Time.

so I'm still open to DVD.

cj_iwakura

I still have several Criterion DVDs, and I think they still look better than some BRs, so I'm happy with them.

I like how the large ones stand out, too. (Do The Right Thing, The Rock, etc.)

On an eerie note, I brought a brand new Chasing Amy DVD at FYE yesterday and it had no book. I had to swap it for another used one that did.

Couldn't stop myself - upgraded my old Naked Lunch and Sweet Smell of Success DVDs to Blu, and also grabbed Naked Kiss, Shock Corridor, and House.

cj_iwakura

Are the other five films in that short film collection worth owning? That's a lot more than I expected.

Thinking of getting Fantastic Mr. Fox for sure, any other stand outs recently?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Are the other five films in that short film collection worth owning? That's a lot more than I expected.

You're referring to the Rohmer set that Bakery Girl is in? There are two films under an hour, and four feature-length. At a bare minimum, My Night at Maud's and Claire's Knee are essential, but I think they're all really wonderful. One of the best sets Criterion has ever released.

Someone mentioned Arrow was trying to expand to the US market; it'd be great to see their Eric Rohmer collection out here, but I imagine the rights are all over the place. That was such a coup, getting the box for around $20 back in the day... and it's probably an even better collection of films than Criterion's, to be honest.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Seconding the Rhomer collection, they're all way hot.

Nothing for me this time around.

Draconian

How is The Game? One of the only Fincher's I haven't seen (aside from Alien 3 lol. Well that and Panic Room).

It's good, but not great. Not a huge fan of the ending, but it's a fun ride and they did a great job with the blu-ray. If you're a Fincher fan, check it out.

big ander

How is The Game? One of the only Fincher's I haven't seen (aside from Alien 3 lol. Well that and Panic Room).

if you like any fincher films they are all worth watching. of the 3 you haven't seen Panic Room is the best. Alien 3 is an okay watch (granted you've seen the first 2). The Game I don't remember well beyond the fact that it's slick if not ultimately compelling

rude

Banned
Panic Room is the best of those three. It's probably Fincher's best paced/structured film due to it obviously taking place in a small setting. The Game is ok. A little boring. Last act of the film is zzzzzz.

overcast

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll have to wait for the big Barnes and Noble sale. There is one in November and December right?

I know the Jacques Tati set will be out. So I'll get that + Three Colors for sure.

Top Bottom