• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Ridley327

Yea will definitely buy when it comes out.

What are the thoughts on blue velvet coming to criterion?

Honestly, I think they'll try to get their hands on almost everything. The only films I can see presenting issues would be Dune (lack of interest, considering Lynch's own contentious relationship with the whole thing) and The Straight Story (Criterion doesn't have much of a relationship with Disney outside of the Wes Anderson films that they've put out). Other than those, Lynch definitely has the pull to get studios to help out, so I think it's really more a matter of when at this point.

And to think, Eraserhead was once Criterion's biggest regret back in the day.

But would they ever release Inland Empire? Is it out of print or something? Weird that I can't find it anywhere without paying like $30+ for a used DVD.

berzeli

Banned
But would they ever release Inland Empire? Is it out of print or something? Weird that I can't find it anywhere without paying like $30+ for a used DVD.

... Is this the bit where I point out that there is a blu-ray out in Region B land? And that costs about 12$?

And for a more serious answer, I think it is either with the Studiocanal library (so Satan in the US), or it's still with Lynch's company and he hasn't gotten around to re-releasing it

TheFlow

Banned
Honestly, I think they'll try to get their hands on almost everything. The only films I can see presenting issues would be Dune (lack of interest, considering Lynch's own contentious relationship with the whole thing) and The Straight Story (Criterion doesn't have much of a relationship with Disney outside of the Wes Anderson films that they've put out). Other than those, Lynch definitely has the pull to get studios to help out, so I think it's really more a matter of when at this point.

And to think, Eraserhead was once Criterion's biggest regret back in the day.
Sounds good and thank you!

I really want blue velvet(criterion cover) to add to my collection

Ridley327

... Is this the bit where I point out that there is a blu-ray out in Region B land? And that costs about 12$?

And for a more serious answer, I think it is either with the Studiocanal library (so Satan in the US), or it's still with Lynch's company and he hasn't gotten around to re-releasing it

I'm pretty sure he retained rather comprehensive rights to the film in the US, including home video and digital rights, but considering how busy he's been with Twin Peaks, I can only imagine that he hasn't found the time to do anything with it. The nice thing about most of his output is that it's with major studios, who can do a lot of the heavy lifting for him, so this and Eraserhead (and the shorts, I guess) represent outliers.

Fire Walk with me is coming to Criterion. Can't remember the streaming site, but they showed FWm with a criterion label on the cover.

WWWHAT WAS THE COVER WHAT WAS THE COVER

More importantly, Janus has their hands on the theatrical rights to the film now.

I still have my doubts that they're going to relegate the recent documentary on Lynch as an extra for the Blu-ray (would Amazon even allow it?), but there's no mistaking that Criterion wants all the Lynch they can get their hands on.

wait wtf is it listed as 2.35????

berzeli

Banned
I'm pretty sure he retained rather comprehensive rights to the film in the US, including home video and digital rights, but considering how busy he's been with Twin Peaks, I can only imagine that he hasn't found the time to do anything with it. The nice thing about most of his output is that it's with major studios, who can do a lot of the heavy lifting for him, so this and Eraserhead (and the shorts, I guess) represent outliers.

Yeah, the US DVD was published by his company and Studiocanal seems to have ROW rights. And the film was a co-production by those two entities, so those are the only options. I just weren't able to figure out if any rights had reverted to anyone.
I wouldn't be shocked if it ended up with Criterion in the near future when all the Twin Peaks-ing is done.

Hello, is there a website where I can view the Criterion films released on Blu-Ray/DVD by month/year?

I can't sort this on Criterion's website nor on wikipedia (they only let me sort by the actual year the film was released).

I want to review whatever was released in 2016, for example, and see what I may have missed out on.

Thank you.

Hello, is there a website where I can view the Criterion films released on Blu-Ray/DVD by month/year?

I can't sort this on Criterion's website nor on wikipedia (they only let me sort by the actual year the film was released).

I want to review whatever was released in 2016, for example, and see what I may have missed out on.

Thank you.

The quickest way I've found to look at everything in release order is sorting them on Bluray.com. You can work your way backwards through the release dates.

berzeli

Banned
Wow. We're they unable to find a better audio track or what happened here?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've given up on TT, they said that Sony were unable to find a complete audio track, which genuinely could be the case. But if you contrast it with Eureka who were able to locate a complete Cantonese track and the original English dub (which unfortunately they couldn't include because of uncertain rights situation) it just reeks of incompetence/apathy.
Maybe that explains why it took them forever to get this one out. Was planning on buying it but I think i'll go with the import now.

Geez, TT. Fucking up covers now missing audio.
Seeing as it is better in every conceivable aspect (and region free), you should. If you buy it directly from Eureka the shipping is free, I think that is the cheapest way to buy it right now.

Ridley327

It sounds like the only reason you'd want that TT disc is just because of the inclusion of Snake in the Eagle's Shadow appears to be about as good as one could hope for without any of the chicanery, but spending $30 on a two film package where one of the films is rather noticeably compromised, particularly in the face of a cheaper and much better region free release, sounds like an exercise in financial irresponsibility. Sony really should have given these to Shout.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Since I didnt got an answer in the Horrormovie thread I an going to ask the cineasts in this one:
Is Tsetsuo - The Iron Man and the Sequel Silent movies?

Ridley327

Since I didnt got an answer in the Horrormovie thread I an going to ask the cineasts in this one:
Is Tsetsuo - The Iron Man and the Sequel Silent movies?

If Tetsuo: The Iron Man is a silent movie, it is by far the noisiest one ever made. There is some dialogue in it, but it's hardly the focus of the film.

Mumei

Eureka surprise announcement for may:
BO2VsLm.jpg

• New 4K restoration
  • Uncompressed PCM soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Optional English subtitles
  • A new interview with Asian cinema expert Tony Rayns
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring new and archival writing
They spoil me sometimes.

My copy arrived today!

... I haven't tried seeing if it works yet. Fingers crossed! <3

Edit: It didn't work. D: D: D:

Blu-ray.com had a price tracker / warning (for amazon of course). Don't know if it still is there. Blu-ray.com best deal page is also great to spot opportunities for criterion titles.

Alternatively you can install a browser extensions that give you a price over time graph on most amazon pages and warn you when an item is below a threshold you can determine yourself. I personally use camelcamelcamel.

Oh, nice. Thanks for the advice!

berzeli

Banned
Indicator titles for August:

A5rMnIx.png
m3fpisX.png
3o5x1Vx.png
1qhjK10.png

The Deadly Affair sounds right up my alley

Edit: It didn't work. D: D: D:
Well that's not good. Do you have a friend with a region free blu-ray player?
I don't know how much a region-free one costs in the US or which one to buy, might be worth the investment.

berzeli

Banned
BFI:

KlmxWCq.jpg
M7Ukfll.jpg
fcnwzXj.jpg
3uqoJlR.jpg
IrUsVE8.jpg

That's a pretty nice Ken Loach set, and I'm very excited for My Beautiful Launderette finally making it's way to region B land.

berzeli

Banned
Fucking hell there is a lot of stuff getting announced/getting covers+details today (or stuff I've missed until today).

Studiocanal:
MG1gUdD.jpg
Ml3tgNh.jpg
kkSipVH.jpg
WO27YbQ.jpg

Le Trou! And in let's upset Fancy Clown news; as far as I can tell it's part of the Studiocanal library so it's with Lionsgate and not likely to get released in the US.

Fjordson

Eureka surprise announcement for may:
BO2VsLm.jpg

• New 4K restoration
  • Uncompressed PCM soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Optional English subtitles
  • A new interview with Asian cinema expert Tony Rayns
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring new and archival writing
They spoil me sometimes.
I somehow missed this post. So sad this is region B only =[

Edit: honesty feel like I should just get a region B player. And like an adapter for the outlet.

FINALLY Le Trou!

And not yet announced in France... Shame on you StudioCanal.

Touchez pas au grisbi is a big release too.

(And peppermint soda is a Proust's Madeleine for me so I'll definitely get it).

Mumei

Well that's not good. Do you have a friend with a region free blu-ray player? I don't know how much a region-free one costs in the US or which one to buy, might be worth the investment.

Well, it's not like it's a bunch of bananas. I can just keep it until I can watch it. :)

berzeli

Banned
The films just keep coming, Arrow time!:

UK Only:
DB4ty2QWAAUg9mZ.png
DB4uHiqWAAEvg0n.png

UK & US:
DB4uf-6XsAAodDH.png
DB4u065WAAA2TEA.png
DB4vWCIXYAQgodm.png
DB4vvOxWAAAr8DA.png

The Day of the Jackal, finally! And A Fish Called Wanda is from a new 4K resto by Arrow! Good news all around.

SeanC

Great Jackal art, I hope that comes here but prob not and we're just stuck with garbage. Such a great thriller.

berzeli

Banned
And if you somehow think I won't completely spam this page, you've mussed have missed that Eureka also released titles today:
lFXQkf5.jpg

RIt2Vgi.jpg

(Joan of Arc is a re-release)

And they officially announced The Saga of Anatahan.

Shame that The Passion of Joan of Arc isn't in the same type of box + big booklet but rather in a standard case. I really love that release.

berzeli

Banned

Waveset

Thank you.
On the Criterion site, I think if you sort by 'Spine', that shows their release order.

E: oh I see what you're saying. Spine view doesn't show the release date but I suppose you could see what you've got and from the list see what gaps are left to fill.

berzeli

Banned
I am all over Kill Baby Kill and Joan of Arc.
If you're able to, you should try and track down their current release of The Passion of Joan of Arc. The book (which will not be in this re-release) is one of the best they ever done, it has writing by André Bazin, Luis Buñuel, Chris Marker, and much more (those three actually only have short pieces, but they have the most name recognition).
I really want Joan, but alas. :(
All the more reason for you to go region free. ;)
I think there was a rumour earlier this year about it getting a release from Criterion soon-ish, but then again there have been such rumours since 2012.
Wow, Arrow is really hitting the big leagues these days with their major studio pick-ups for the US.
Their US venture seems to be very successful for them.

Steamlord

If you're able to, you should try and track down their current release of The Passion of Joan of Arc. The book (which will not be in this re-release) is one of the best they ever done, it has writing by André Bazin, Luis Buñuel, Chris Marker, and much more (those three actually only have short pieces, but they have the most name recognition).

I was honestly considering shelling out for it before this announcement... Now I don't know if I can justify it, haha.

berzeli

Banned
I was honestly considering shelling out for it before this announcement... Now I don't know if I can justify it, haha.
You know what, I did not check the prices before making that statement.
The steelbook version that I have is one of the nicest sets I own. However it is definitely not £119.79 worth of niceties, that's nearly ten times what I paid.

fake edit: Oh it's just 80£ for a new one on ebay. It's totally worth that much. (it's not, fucking scalpers)

Ernest

Banned
Nice to see Ghost World getting a thick, quality booklet(s) insert instead of the cheaper "pamphlet" fold-outs Criterion's been doing lately.

berzeli

Banned
Arrow Academy:

UK Only:
DCIKiIqWsAITmXJ.png

UK & US:
DCIK907XgAEk5jU.png
DCILb1mXkAEi-Jf.png

I think this is the first time I'm actually more excited about the Arrow Video offerings rather than the Academy ones.

Top Bottom