• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

Breakfast Club??? Wow.

Blu Ray tanking as a popular format has been the biggest blessing as a Criterion Hed. I wouldn't be surprised if they get Magnolia in the next few years.

If there were any doubts at this point: Film Forum's upcoming repertory schedule highlights screenings for Night of the Living Dead in October (when else?) and lists Janus Films as its distributor.

This will probably mean that it's not a 2017 title, which I'm not too upset about since Criterion can get that free and sweet, sweet 50th anniversary hype for the home release.

This news pleases me.

If it's not a 2017 title I hope they have some other exciting horror title planned to release in October.

Mumei

Someone better have conspired to make B&N give me coupons that work on Criterion this month. Only getting an additional 10% off on in-store purchases just isn't the same. :(

Ridley327

As long as Synapse can get this damn Suspiria blu out by Halloween, I dun curr what anyone else releases.

pls lord

Their restoration is making its debut at Fantasia International Film Festival on August 2, which bodes rather well for a 2017 release. Don't know if that means October specifically, but it's good news all the same.

omgkitty

Breakfast Club??? Wow.

Blu Ray tanking as a popular format has been the biggest blessing as a Criterion Hed. I wouldn't be surprised if they get Magnolia in the next few years.

My main issue is that because of all the more popular titles they keep getting, they seem to be ignoring a lot of their previous releases, especially some of the bigger things that have already been released in other countries years ago. Obviously some people don't care, but when there are still big Bergman, Ozu, Kurosawa etc etc releases we could already have, it's disappointing. Obviously they make their money on stuff like Breakfast Club, but I'd rather they focus more on getting out titles that really need it that I can't get somewhere else.

It's like how every fucking company under the sun wants to release their version of The Thing. Who gives a shit? Stop buying it so many damn times!

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I watched The Samurai trilogy recently and I came away really disappointed. The series manages to have a couple of good fights, but it mostly revolves around badly-handled romantic relationships. Every woman falls hopelessly in love with Musashi after very little interaction with him. He rejects them all and yet they continue to drop everything to chase after him. It becomes irritating to watch after a while. Fortunately, there are some great moments like the fight in the woods and the climactic duel on the beach to make up for it a bit (even though the other fight scenes in the trilogy are pretty bad).

swoon

My main issue is that because of all the more popular titles they keep getting, they seem to be ignoring a lot of their previous releases, especially some of the bigger things that have already been released in other countries years ago. Obviously some people don't care, but when there are still big Bergman, Ozu, Kurosawa etc etc releases we could already have, it's disappointing. Obviously they make their money on stuff like Breakfast Club, but I'd rather they focus more on getting out titles that really need it that I can't get somewhere else.

It's like how every fucking company under the sun wants to release their version of The Thing. Who gives a shit? Stop buying it so many damn times!

this is a good post.

IronRinn

Credo

I would love if they did a set for Night, Dawn, and Day.

I'd be all over this. I already own them all and hate to double dip on things, but they're among my favorite movies and I wouldn't be able to resist.

I just bought Shout Factory's verison of The Thing last year though, so I think I could hold off on that if Criterion released it. It's up there with the Dead trilogy for me, but I've got to draw the line somewhere.

Shiv47

True, and I agree about the endless rehashing of certain titles, but Criterion was releasing popular stuff during their laserdisc days, so this is really just a return to that model. I mean, they did Bond films, Ghostbusters, Princess Bride, Silverado, plenty of popular titles.

omgkitty

True, and I agree about the endless rehashing of certain titles, but Criterion was releasing popular stuff during their laserdisc days, so this is really just a return to that model. I mean, they did Bond films, Ghostbusters, Princess Bride, Silverado, plenty of popular titles.

But when they were doing this on Laserdisc, it was because those companies didn't want to release their films. They released Laserdisc's so a title would get released at all. They released Straw Dogs which already has two blu-ray releases. It's whatever I guess. I've bought several titles more than once because Criterion put out their version, and I know it does bring in extra money for them. If we really want to blame anyone, it's all those idiots who are still buying their DVD releases who haven't gone to blu-ray. Those are the real fools in all this.

cj_iwakura

But when they were doing this on Laserdisc, it was because those companies didn't want to release their films. They released Laserdisc's so a title would get released at all. They released Straw Dogs which already has two blu-ray releases. It's whatever I guess. I've bought several titles more than once because Criterion put out their version, and I know it does bring in extra money for them. If we really want to blame anyone, it's all those idiots who are still buying their DVD releases who haven't gone to blu-ray. Those are the real fools in all this.
Guess I'm a fool then.

WHY ARE YOU STILL BUYING DVD'S?!?!?!

Not every upscale ends to the benefit of the film. Some special effects were never meant to be seen in 4K widescreen. Especially popular blockbusters from the 40s and earlier. Are there exceptions to the rule? Always. I just purchased the CC edition of La Dolce Vita and 8 1/2 and I couldn't be happier. The scenery is just as important as the action happening in the foreground. But that doesn't mean it didn't take me out of the film when I saw a giant string attached to Marcello's fedora when he was overlooking St. Peter's Square.

Another infamous example is Lawrence of Arabia's heavy use of makeup to add definition. (Every major film from that time features this) When you watch it on blu ray remaster, poor Lawrence looks like he's fighting the Turks in drag.

I have purchased tons of Criterion DVDs and Blu rays, but in my experience, yes, you always want films updated to fit current media formats to avoid attrition through obsolescence, but for the best viewing experience I like to watch films in the ratio and definition the directors wanted us to view it through.

I like to watch films in the ratio and definition the directors wanted us to view it through.

In which case you would watch them on Bluray which is far closer to the "resolution" of the original film prints than a muddy DVD would be. And they are usually in re correct aspect ratio as well, whereas in the DVD era you'd have to avoid the horrid "fullscreen" versions. The Bluray of Lawrence of Arabia is god-tier, I don't care if the clarity reveals the effects that they used to make the production rather obfuscating them behind muddy sub HD compressed DVD's that aren't gonna look anything like how the film did originally.

berzeli

Banned
Eureka titles for September:

MoC:
DEIzdprXcAIDH_O.png

Eureka Classics:
DEIzRuAXYAEszNS.png

montage: (nsfw, I guess)
DEIzn1dWsAEBLNA.png

The Lubitsch upgrade is pretty nice, but what I'm really looking forward is their upcoming Buster Keaton Boxset which they confirmed will use the new Cohen 4K restorations (which i hope they don't screw up).

(they're also releasing 8 seasons of something called "The Supervet" on DVD but jesus I have limits for how far I will take my stanning)

Only reasons to ever own DVD in 2017:

1. It was given to you or it was free
2. You paid $1-2 at a garage sale
3. Blu Ray copy is missing major special features (making of or companion doc, commentary, etc)
4. Blu Ray transfer is complete garbage and looks hideous
5. You (for some reason) don't own a Blu Ray player or HD Tv
6. Film has not yet (or never will be) released on Blu Ray and this is the only way you can watch it

omgkitty

You know you've bought too many Criterions when you get a text from your credit card company asking if you just made a purchase.

Oh yeah, sale is live on Barnes and Nobles website.

Mumei

You know you've bought too many Criterions when you get a text from your credit card company asking if you just made a purchase.

Oh yeah, sale is live on Barnes and Nobles website.

Stupid B&N website not accepting the current coupon.

If I can't get an additional discount buying online, I may as well get what I can in store. and only resort to the website for stuff I can't otherwise get.

Fhtagn

Ridley327

Funny enough, the lack of funds is less an issue for me this time as I really don't have a lot of must-buys right this very instant. And even then, it's more reissues than anything else, since I would probably only pick up Ugetsu and Straw Dogs.

Mumei

I went to the store today and picked up 8½, The Black Stallion, A Brighter Summer Day, M, Paths of Glory, and Tampopo.

Hmmm, might sit this sale out. I've already bought a few higher priced sets and special editions this year.

On the other hand my Criterion list ain't getting any smaller.

Hmmmmm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mumei

Just ordered Yi Yi, Stalker, and Ivan's Childhood online. I might spring for The Essential Jacques Demy later this month.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Stalker
Chimes At Midnight
Richard III
The Killers

Really wanted Othello to make it an even hundo but it's September.

Just imagine the packaging...

The thought alone almost brings a tear to my eye. I assume that Shout Factory still has the rights to Day though, and who knows what that one tyrant is going to end to doing with his rights to Dawn, aside from sitting on his converted 3d version while asking way too much for the license in an attempt to get his money back. Really though, fuck that guy. I'd really like to one day replace my Anchor Bay collector's edition DVD with an equivalent Blu-ray.

Picked up Eraserhead, The Great Dicator, Harold and Maude, His Girl Friday, La Jetee/Sans Soleil, Modern Times, and Solaris yesterday. I'm considering going back to get Naked Lunch as well.

berzeli

Banned
Indicator titles for September:

jhAaEtA.png

oT7Aoiy.png
aryE2hc.png

Welp. That See No Evil cover is their first misfire, but what a misfire it is. Glad to see them continuing to put out the works of Harryhausen, though lets be honest here these might not be all that great. Or even good.

Top Bottom