• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Knight Rises - Trailer 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alien teaser trailer

Tells me nothing of the story, but it gets me hyped.

in all fairness do you really need to know what the hell the story is about in a horror movie besides shit will happen, you will get scared, and people will die.

Compare the batman trailer at least to a movie within the same genre. That Alien trailer does it purpose of coming out creepy because it's a HORROR movie.

Speevy

Banned
Well, the way I see it, this film can only go down in a few ways.

#1) Selena Kyle, along with a bunch of other malcontents, are planning to overrun Gotham with the help of this mysterious figure (Bane). Bane and Batman collide, which ends badly for the Dark Knight. Kyle sees what a monster she has been supporting and comes to Batman's aid. The two team up, and with the help of the young detective (Gordon-Levitt) and an arsenal of vehicles and weapons, they take back the city and destroy Bane.

#2) Everything above happens, except in the end, Batman sacrifices his own life to kill Bane.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I don't like much how Gotham is depicted since Batman Begins. It's too neat, too clean, the city is too new. You're basically supposed to imagine the grimy overpopulated aspect of it, because they never show it for more than a glance. The place never feels like the cesspool of crime and corruption it is supposed to be

Always took it to be, that the City was on it's way "back" with Dent and his initiatives in TDK, and in the time leading up to whatever Bane does in TDKR, that Gotham has lived on in honor of the Great Harvey Dent. Bane ruins all of it.

7Th

bane is a bad guy

batman has to stop him

what more do you need to know

But what makes Bane (he isn't actually called Bane in the trailer, by the way) more threatening than Joker? Why should I expect him to pose more of a threat to Batman?

Seems fairly obvious what the trailer implies, storm coming. Gotham gets f'ed up given the football and bridge sequence, Bruce along with other people are captured. Some people think Batman is dead, perhaps Bruce, and then he comes back. And obviously sets the stage for a cops vs. criminals war.

#1) Selena Kyle, along with a bunch of other malcontents, are planning to overrun Gotham with the help of this mysterious figure (Bane). Bane and Batman collide, which ends badly for the Dark Knight. Kyle sees what a monster she has been supporting and comes to Batman's aid. The two team up, and with the help of the young detective (Gordon-Levitt) and an arsenal of vehicles and weapons, they take back the city and destroy Bane.

#2) Everything above happens, except in the end, Batman sacrifices his own life to kill Bane.

#3) Bane gets defeated, Bruce decides to give up being batman, then it says like 20 years later when he's an old man or some shit, the end.

Dany

Banned
But what makes Bane (he isn't actually called Bane in the trailer, by the way) more threatening than Joker? Why should I expect him to pose more of a threat to Batman?

Because he is destroying football stadiums, blowing up bridges, apparently captured bruce.

Wait, quick question, when bruce talks to bane....its BRUCE, not batman? So bane finds out...

Fry

Joker was all about being smart. Bane will be about strenght. He makes Batman look like a pussy in the trailer.

in all fairness do you really need to know what the hell the story is about in a horror movie besides shit will happen, you will get scared, and people will die.

Compare the batman trailer at least to a movie within the same genre. That Alien trailer does it purpose of coming out creepy because it's a HORROR movie.

really? A superhero movie can be broken down that simply too. There's a bad guy who's fucking shit up. Good guy must stop him. Action scenes. End trailer.

This is where you watch the movie to find out? What made Joker so menacing in the trailers? You didn't know how evil he was and how much he fucked everybody's world up in the trailer. All that played out in the movie.

Speevy

Banned

Because unlike the Joker, you can tell from looking at him that he can actually kick Batman's ass in a fair fight.

Because he beats the fuck out of him? We see him carrying Batman's mask and ditching it? How is that not threatening?

That was amazing. Just watched it like 10 times. Rbtrbtrhtrhr! I can't wait.

Also, I don't understand the complaint about the whole storyline not being in the trailer.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

You're already wrong. JGL says his name in the trailer.

Blows up Stadium
Blows up Bridges
Obviously has a wounded Bruce, face to face, with Bruce all but giving up (what didn't you just kill me)

Yeah, he's a threat.

really? A superhero movie can be broken down that simply too. There's a bad guy who's fucking shit up. Good guy must stop him. Action scenes. End trailer.

Except this is a nolan film where the stories have been important in his superhero movies. So you kinda missed the point. Cool.

Forkball

b8nFv.gif

Spoiler:

Bane has League of Assassins working under him. That alone makes him a powerful nemesis. He is what Ra's Al Ghul wanted Bruce to be, and now that Ra's Al Ghul is dead, Talia Al Ghul is taking over with Bane by her side. Add Catwoman to the mix and the fact that the entire GCPD has a warrant for Batman (and that Batman hasn't shown his face in 8 years with Bruce getting old), it all adds up.

Joker was a mere lunatic on a loose compared to the over-calculating and over-powerful Bane. Joker couldn't even beat Batman without a knife in his hand or dogs pouncing.

Regarding Bane being called Bane: he is called Bane within the first few minutes of the movie.

he's extremely smart, very calculated, and highly tactical. That and his background gives him more credibility than Joker who is just a loony dude with no end game. That's as much as I can say without spoiling anything.

Except this is a nolan film where the stories have been important in his superhero movies. So you kinda missed the point. Cool.

And why does a trailer dismiss the idea that the story can still be important. The trailer is setting up what the movie is about but it doesn't have to tell you everything. How is that missing the point? You get a good sense of the movie from that trailer without having to give everything away. It might be from a different genre but it uses the same principels.

big ander

You're already wrong. JGL says his name in the trailer.

Blows up Stadium
Blows up Bridges
Obviously has a wounded Bruce, face to face, with Bruce all but giving up (what didn't you just kill me)

Yeah, he's a threat.
I was gonna say that too, JGL calls him Bane.

And it sure seems like we're supposed to take him as the engineer behind the other instances of mass chaos. Huge city battles, robberies, gunfire everywhere. Pretty threatening.
Tguy said:
Well, of course the story is going to be more complicated than that. You don't need to know all of it for the trailer.

Joker was all about being smart. Bane will be about strenght. He makes Batman look like a pussy in the trailer.

Bane actually has a brilliant mind. Joker as a character is less about simply being smart but more about being pure unpredictable chaos with his cunning. Bane is cunning and strength.

shira

You are forgetting Miranda Tate, her dad, gordon, and spoiler

Tookay

Except none of the trailers for Nolan's movies have ever given away the plot. So you've missed the point as well.

7Th

Spoiler:

Bane has League of Assassins working under him. That alone makes him a powerful nemesis. He is what Ra's Al Ghul wanted Bruce to be, and now that Ra's Al Ghul is dead, Talia Al Ghul is taking over with Bane by her side. Add Catwoman to the mix and the fact that the entire GCPD has a warrant for Batman (and that Batman hasn't shown his face in 8 years with Bruce getting old), it all adds up.

Joker was a mere lunatic on a loose compared to the over-calculating and over-powerful Bane. Joker couldn't even beat Batman without a knife in his hand or dogs pouncing.

he's extremely smart, very calculated, and highly tactical. That and his background gives him more credibility than Joker who is just a loony dude with no end game. That's as much as I can say without spoiling anything.

No, no. You see, I know this. I read the spoilers. I follow the official thread. I'm looking forward to the movie. I just think this trailer is poorly edited. That's it.

No, no. You see, I know this. I read the spoilers. I follow the official thread. I'm looking forward to the movie. I just think this trailer is poorly edited. That's it.
it's not poorly edited though, it was done on purpose. They don't want to give anything away. Pretty sure nolan stated it when they showed this at that cinemacon or whatever it's called.

nib95

Banned
Looks sublime, as expected. But two things that I didn't like.

1. I preferred how Bane sounded before. Much scarier and more detached.

2. The last scene would have worked better if they hadn't already shown the flying batmobile earlier in the trailer.

Ahh. Gotcha. In Nolan's defense, I'm glad it was "poorly edited" cause I hate trailer that gives away the entire plot.

Replicant

I guess I'm in the minority. I just don't feel this trailer or for that matter, the hype for this movie. The whole mood looks wrong. It doesn't look like a Batman movie, more like some kind of crime/gang war movie. It seems too focused on political/socio-economic backlash and I'm not sure if that's the kind of things I want to see in a Batman movie. Bane just looks like a typical ordinary terrorist in here too.

7Th

Except none of the trailers for Nolan's movies have ever given away the plot. So you've missed the point as well.

Actually, they did. This trailer really tells me what TDK is all about: Gotham mobs are scared by Batman and to confront him they join up a madman that happens to be one of the most recognizable comic book villains in pop-culture. It even explains Batman and Rachel's relationship!

artist

Banned
Ahh. Gotcha. In Nolan's defense, I'm glad it was "poorly edited" cause I hate trailer that gives away the entire plot.
We got 7Th, SalsaShark and a few other resident GAF editing experts.

<insert we've got a motherfuckin' badass gif here>

But it is still a trailer that does not give much of anything away and still makes you want to see the movie. Genre does not matter if the trailer is put together well enough.

But then the original teaser for Inception showed and told next to nothing, but was "WTF!?" enough to make you want to know more:

http://youtu.be/_5VDKVqvo8M

And of course one of the best teaser trailers of the last decade (the quality of the movie itself is debatable, but the teaser sure got people talking):

http://youtu.be/IvNkGm8mxiM

I will agree that TDKR trailer we are discussing does show and tell extremely little, though.

And why does a trailer dismiss the idea that the story can still be important. The trailer is setting up what the movie is about but it doesn't have to tell you everything. How is that missing the point? You get a good sense of the movie from that trailer without having to give everything away. It might be from a different genre but it uses the same principels.
The point was you didn't need to know story of Alien at all to be interested in that trailer. What you are suppose to get from that trailer is the creepy vibes in it, not what the story is about. Did you not look at the trailer at all? It's a silly comparison to make when both trailers seem to be aiming for different things/vibes. Plus, he's comparing a teaser trailer to an actual 3 min trailer or whatever. Teasers usually are suppose to be vague, but as far as I know the teaser trailer to this movie came out last year and was like 14 seconds long.

Well, of course the story is going to be more complicated than that. You don't need to know all of it for the trailer.

I'm not asking to know all of the story really, but whatever I simply didn't think it was that good of a trailer regardless if they gave away a lot of the story or not. Didn't impress me at all.

Dany

Banned
The trailer asks "Hey guys you like batman, right?" And the audience response is "hell yeah!!!"

Thats all they need to do to market the movie and its working.

big ander

Actually, they did. This trailer really tells me what TDK is all about: Gotham mobs are scared by Batman and to confront him they join up a madman that happens to be one of the most recognizable comic book villains in pop-culture. It even explains Batman and Rachel's relationship!

That's a pretty sizable reduction of TDK's plot. This TDKR trailer tells us that Gotham is thrown into chaos when Bane, a mysterious and powerful force of a man, attacks and incapacitates Batman. Then the morally-grey Selina Kyle and cop JGL are involved in somehow getting Batman back and fighting Bane. It even explains Alfred and Bruce's relationship.

Seems about the same level to me.

But it is still a trailer that does not give much of anything away and still makes you want to see the movie. Genre does not matter if the trailer is put together well enough.

But then the original teaser for Inception showed and told next to nothing, but was "WTF!?" enough to make you want to know more:

http://youtu.be/_5VDKVqvo8M

And of course one of the best teaser trailers of the last decade (the quality of the movie itself is debatable, but the teaser sure got people talking):

http://youtu.be/IvNkGm8mxiM

I will agree that TDKR trailer we are discussing does show and tell extremely little, though.
That's cool and all but this is the third trailer of TDKR. The teaser part already passed about almost a year ago yet I know just as much as I do since I watched the first teaser. I agree Cloverfield trailer was pretty great, it's definitely one of my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom