• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Day Is My Enemy |OT| The long-awaited new album from The Prodigy

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMax

Gul2EAe.png

Cooking Vinyl said:
The city at night talks through drones and chaos. The hidden city that lives in the shadows of the anaesthetized and over-stylized urban landscape. The night time heart that pounds to the rush of different drums: a subverted militaristic snare, a distorted break, a glitched dub attack, a middle eastern refrain, a cacophony of in-car dissonance, a symphony of random noise soundtracking life at the edge of the night. Where humanity lurks in darkened corners, hoods up, eyes down and communicating through clandestine gestures. Where the urban fox hunts in the darkness of the city’s suffocating ghost life, ransacking the daytime waste, taking what it wants – unafraid, unchallenged, untethered, untouchable… Like The Prodigy.

The Prodigy today announce their new album ‘The Day is My Enemy’, due for release on March 30th via the bands own label Take Me To The Hospital through Cooking Vinyl. It’s an album that takes you on a journey through the unchartered underbelly of urban nightlife where anger is an ever-present energy lurking just beneath the surface of an edgy calm.

“I can’t tell you why this record came out so angry, I think it’s just inbuilt in me, ” says Liam Howlett “It’s more about what I like music to do. I’ve always seen music I like as a form of attack. That’s what I use music for, it’s an attack. I didn’t plan this album to sound violent, it’s just the sound that came out of the studio, a kind of build up over the last 4 years. ‘Anger is an energy’, that’s a lyric which always resonated with me. The tension is buried deep in the music right from the first drop. It’s all about the sound having that sense of danger. That’s what The Prodigy sound is about.”

Uncompromising first single ‘Nasty’ fires out of the cannons like a ferocious statement of intent and finds Keith Flint at his snarling best. Premiering as Zane Lowe’s Hottest Record in the World on BBC Radio 1, it sets the tone perfectly for the new album.

The Day Is My Enemy is probably the most British sounding album you’ll hear this year. Not British in the flag waving jingoistic sense, but in a way that understands that the nighttime spaces of urban Britain are a multi-hued cacophony of cultures. If Invaders Must Die was the sound of the rusted urban sprawl decaying like an open wound in the British countryside, then The Day is My Enemy is about the angry humanity existing in the decay of the urban nightmare.

ZhvCbsH.png

D2aFDUJ.gif

xJWLw5T.png

saCTV5t.png

Kerrang | ★★★★★
The Day Is My Enemy is the most exciting – and most angrily British – album

Louder Than War | 9/10
The new album is a non stop punchbag of exploding beats

Mixmag | 8/10
This is The Prodigy saying, "Fuck nuance – let's dance!" They've done it again, and you can't help but love 'em for it.

NME | 8/10
The strongest and most confident Prodigy album since "The Fat Of The Land”

Consequence of Sound | B-
The Day Is My Enemy is meant to inspire the next generation of main stage headlining DJ electronic artists.

Glasswerk
The album barks with ferocity, rattling with insurrection like a rebellious teenager.

Gigslutz | ★★★★
The Day Is My Enemy is clever, angry and fast. But let’s be honest, it’s The Prodigy, what the hell did you expect?

Toddler
After having a full day to listen, here's my definitive review of The Day Is My Enemy:

1. The Day is My Enemy
lawd.png

2. Nasty
datazz.png

3. Rebel Radio
ahh.png

4. Ibiza feat. Sleaford Mods
camby.png

5. Destroy
ooh.png

6. Wild Frontier
whoo.png

7. Rok-Weiler
babylawd.png

8. Beyond the Deathray
banderas.png

9. Rhythm Bomb feat. Flux Pavilion
ohhh.png

10. Roadblox
whew.png

11. Get Your Fight On
aqDwC.png

12. Medicine
mynicca1.png

13. Invisible Sun
dead.png

14. Wall Of Death
JgsPS.png

15. Rise Of The Eagles
ufdup.png

vQDojTP.png

iFrM09A.png

Super Deluxe Bundle
- Deluxe 3LP Vinyl Box
- CD
- Official Album T-Shirt
- 3D Lenticular print
- Choice of Lossless or MP3 Audio Downloads
- Instant grat downloads of Nasty, The Day Is My Enemy, Wild Frontier, Wall of Death, and Ibiza
Buy - £61

The Day Is My Enemy (Triple Vinyl & 3D Lenticular)
- The Day Is My Enemy (Triple Vinyl & Lenticular)
- Limited Edition Deluxe 3LP Vinyl Box
- Full colour rigid 12x12 card box with lift off lid including the following exclusive items:
- 3 x 180gram 12"s cut at 45 rpm.
- Individual Red, yellow and black vinyl LPs in printed inner sleeves
- Exclusive 3D Lenticular 12" x 12" sized print of the album cover
- 36” x 24” full colour double sided poster (folded)
- 12" x 12" credit sheet
- Instant grat downloads of Nasty, The Day Is My Enemy, Wild Frontier, Wall of Death, and Ibiza
Buy - £35

The Day Is My Enemy (Gatefold Double Heavyweight LP)
- Gatefold Double Vinyl
- 2 x black 180gram 12"s cut at 33 rpm.
- Gatefold sleeve with printed inner bags.
Buy - £20

The Day Is My Enemy (CD)
Buy - £10

The Day Is My Enemy (iTunes)
- Exclusive bonus track: "Rise of the Eagles"
Buy - £8.99

gkMJHbl.png

uL5BGrQ.png

tBclJzL.png

10/04/15: Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, The Netherlands [TICKETS]
11/04/15: Columbiahalle, Berlin, Germany [TICKETS]
12/04/15: Swiss Life Hall, Hannover, Germany [TICKETS]
15/04/15: Zenith, Paris, France [TICKETS]
16/04/15: Halle Tony Garnier, Lyon, France [TICKETS]
17/04/15: Festival des Artefacts, Strasbourg, France [TICKETS]
19/04/15: Les Paradis Artificiels, Lille, France [TICKETS]

04/05/15: O2 Academy, Newcastle, UK [TICKETS]
05/05/15: The Spa, Bridlington, UK [TICKETS]
07/05/15: O2 Academy, Birmingham, UK [TICKETS]
08/05/15: Cardiff Arena, Cardiff, UK [TICKETS]
09/05/15: Empress Ballroom, Blackpool, UK [TICKETS]
11/05/15: Rivermead, Reading, UK [TICKETS]
12/05/15: Brighton Centre, Brighton, UK [TICKETS]
14/05/15: BIC, Bournemouth, UK [TICKETS]
15/05/15: Alexandra Palace, London, UK [TICKETS]
16/05/15: Alexandra Palace, London, UK [TICKETS]

12/06/15: Isle of Wight Festival, Isle of Wight, UK [TICKETS]
20/06/15: We Are Electric, Eindhoven, The Netherlands [TICKETS]
26/06/15: Tinderbox Vestival, Odense, Denmark [TICKETS]
27/06/15: Rock Werchter, Werchter, Belgium [TICKETS]
04/07/15: Rockwave, Malakasa, Greece [TICKETS]
10/07/15: Nos Alive, Passeio Marítimo de Algés, Portugal [TICKETS]
12/07/15: T in the Park, Strathallan Castle, UK [TICKETS]
15/07/15: Sea Dance, Budva, Montenegro [TICKETS]
16-19/07/15: Benicàssim, Costa Azahar [TICKETS]
18/07/15: Les Vieilles Charrues, Carhaix, France [TICKETS]
14/08/15: Sonicmania, Tokyo, Japan [TICKETS]
15-16/08/15: Summer Sonic, Osaka, Japan [TICKETS]
20-22/08/15: Frequency Festival, St. Poelten, Austria [TICKETS]
20-22/08/15: OpenAir, Gampel, Switzerland [TICKETS]

yIpY2J2.png

GetVh1P.png

#AskTheProdigy, Twitch, 23/03/15 18:00 UTC
On Monday 23rd March at 6pm (UTC) The Prodigy will be live streaming an interview via twitch.tv video link up from Berlin answering questions submitted on twitter using hashtag #AskTheProdigy as well as previewing two clips of brand new tracks from their highly anticipated new album 'The Day Is My Enemy'. You can ask the band anything you want from Monday 16th - Sunday 22nd March and some of the questions will be chosen to answered live on air during the stream via Twitch.tv. Following the bands live stream the bands new track 'Wall Of Death' will be immediately added to the Twitch.tv music library for users to stream during broadcasts on the platform.
[B]http://www.twitch.tv/artistcouch[/B]

EgbPk5G.png

Exclusive New Tracks and Interviews, Annie Mac (BBC R1), 23-24/03/15 19:00 UTC
New tracks from The Day Is My Enemy along with interviews with Liam and Keith
[B]http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1[/B]

5N2mvUG.png

Album Track-by-Track Talkthrough, Eddy Temple-Morris (XFM), 03/04/15 22:00 UTC
Run-through the new album with track-by-track commentary from Liam, Keith, and Maxim
[B]http://www.xfm.co.uk[/B]

WDKGfz3.png

The Prodigy’s sixth studio album has been in production for over four years, initially starting life as “How to Steal a Jetfighter”. New tracks were tested live including “AWOL”, “Dogbite”, and “Jetfighter”. However, in late 2012 the band came to a crossroads and ditched the Jetfighter theme, premiering new tracks in their setlists: “Rok-Weiler”, “Get Your Fight On”, and “The Day Is My Enemy”. Frontman Liam Howlett promised a new album, with a new name, and a “violent sound”.

On 12 January 2015 The Prodigy released "Nasty" as the lead single off their upcoming album along with the title track on January 26, 2015. Howlett found that "violent is the word that keeps on coming up" when describing the album. The entire recording process took almost six years taking in a number of studios and a few restarts to establish that "angry, energetic sound”. Unlike previous efforts The Day Is My Enemy became a band-album where Flint and Maxim worked in tandem with Howlett. This created a degree of friction although Flint noted that “four years ago we sat down and talked about where the next album was gonna go, and we knew we had to bust out the most ‘band’ album we could create".

The song "Ibiza" (featuring Jason Williamson) is a critique of the superstar DJ culture. Howlett explained that “we did a gig in Ibiza, and I’m not a great fan of the place, but it isn’t an attack on the island, it’s an attack on these mindless fucking jokers that arrive in their Learjets, pull a USB stick out of their pockets, plug it in and wave their hands in the air to a pre-programmed mix".

Source: Wikipedia

mUkByIp.png

tO2FUns.png

Wikipedia said:
The Prodigy are an English electronic music group formed by Liam Howlett in 1990. The current members include Liam Howlett (keyboardist and composer), Keith Flint (dancer and vocalist), Leo Crabtree (drums), Rob Holliday (lead guitarist) and Maxim Reality (MC and vocalist). Leeroy Thornhill (dancer and occasional live keyboardist) was a member of the band from 1990 to 2000, as was a female dancer and vocalist called Sharky who left the group during their early period.

Along with the Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim and other acts, The Prodigy have been credited as pioneers of the big beat genre, which achieved mainstream popularity in the 1990s and 2000s. They have sold over 25 million records worldwide. The group has won numerous music awards throughout their career, including two Brit Awards--winning Best British Dance Act twice, three MTV Video Music Awards, two Kerrang! Awards, five MTV Europe Music Awards, and have twice been nominated for Grammy Awards.

The group's brand of music makes use of various styles ranging from rave, hardcore techno, industrial, jungle and breakbeat in the early 1990s to big beat and electronic rock with punk vocal elements in later times. The Prodigy first emerged on the underground rave scene in the early 1990s and have since achieved popularity and worldwide renown. They have been called "the premiere dance act for the alternative masses," as well as "The Godfathers of Rave."

oSa8HOf.png

opwpXQD.png

iMax

Ibiza just got posted on the official YouTube channel.

And don't forget, the Twitch event starts in 45 minutes!

Twitch_BlackLogoURL.png

#AskTheProdigy, Twitch, 23/03/15 18:00 UTC
On Monday 23rd March at 6pm (UTC) The Prodigy will be live streaming an interview via twitch.tv video link up from Berlin answering questions submitted on twitter using hashtag #AskTheProdigy as well as previewing two clips of brand new tracks from their highly anticipated new album 'The Day Is My Enemy'. You can ask the band anything you want from Monday 16th - Sunday 22nd March and some of the questions will be chosen to answered live on air during the stream via Twitch.tv. Following the bands live stream the bands new track 'Wall Of Death' will be immediately added to the Twitch.tv music library for users to stream during broadcasts on the platform.
[B]http://www.twitch.tv/artistcouch[/B]

BeeDog

I'm so ridiculously hyped for this album I can't even express it in words.

CAN'T WAIT FOR MY DELUXE EDITIIIIIIIION

Ninhead

Yup. "Ibiza" did not disappoint. How do you not love a song with that subject matter with a chorus of "What's he fucking doing?"

Edit: it is apparently up as a download for pre-orders, according to their Facebook page..

BeeDog

I couldn't contain myself, so checked out the album.

It's really good stuff at a first glance, but I'm curious how it will hold up compared to their older albums.

Some very early impressions:

- The tracks that have left the best first impression are non-singles, which is great.
- The album is pretty much full of bangers, which disappoints me a little bit. There are only two calm(er) tracks, and it's "Beyond The Deathray" and, to a lesser degree, "Invisible Sun" (dubstep-ish).
- "Destroy" is probably my favorite tune so far, but it's highly likely to change the more I spin the album. I'd say it's this album's "Warrior's Dance."
- Other highlights: "Rebel Radio", "Roadblox", "Medicine".
- Thank god Liam has varied the beats on the tracks. Was afraid most tracks would end up with stiff kicks and drums like the single tracks.
- "Get Your Fight On" is "Take Me To The Hospital" Redux(tm).
- Worst tune is by far the one with Sleaford Mods. A bottom-of-the-barrel tune so far, doubt it'll grow on me.
- ... But if you count the bonus track, "Rise Of The Eagles" is even worse than "Ibiza."

ITunes done goofed up this !morning!
I have the 2x12" and the 3x12" preordered, will be getting the CD on release day from local record shop :) American, Japanese and German CDs next month :)
Ibiza is up for free download if you've preordered the album from the official store

boinx

Fucking hell, not enjoying this so far at all. Just sounds like they grabbed some random dubstep producer from the street, told him to make their next album and fucked off. Even jilted and fat of the land sound more next level than this stuff and those were made in the nineties for christ sake.

iMax

Fucking hell, not enjoying this so far at all. Just sounds like they grabbed some random dubstep producer from the street, told him to make their next album and fucked off. Even jilted and fat of the land sound more next level than this stuff and those were made in the nineties for christ sake.

Really? Which tracks you not feeling?

Ninhead

Also, how did I not realize "Rise of the Eagles" was a fucking Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster cover? I loved those guys. Cover's not that amazing, but this is still really cool.

Denton

Been listening on youtube all day at work today.
Pretty damn awesome.
Standouts for now:

Wild Frontier
The Day Is My Enemy
Invisible Sun
Beyond the Deathray

Love these. Gonna be listening to this for quite a while I think.

Toddler

After having a full day to listen, here's my definitive review of The Day Is My Enemy:

1. The Day is My Enemy
lawd.png

2. Nasty
datazz.png

3. Rebel Radio
ahh.png

camby.png

5. Destroy
ooh.png

6. Wild Frontier
whoo.png

7. Rok-Weiler
babylawd.png

8. Beyond the Deathray
banderas.png

ohhh.png

10. Roadblox
whew.png

11. Get Your Fight On
aqDwC.png

12. Medicine
mynicca1.png

13. Invisible Sun
dead.png

14. Wall Of Death
JgsPS.png

15. Rise Of The Eagles
ufdup.png

1. The Day is My Enemy
lawd.png

2. Nasty
datazz.png

3. Rebel Radio
ahh.png

camby.png

5. Destroy
ooh.png

6. Wild Frontier
whoo.png

7. Rok-Weiler
babylawd.png

8. Beyond the Deathray
banderas.png

ohhh.png

10. Roadblox
whew.png

11. Get Your Fight On
aqDwC.png

12. Medicine
mynicca1.png

13. Invisible Sun
dead.png

14. Wall Of Death
JgsPS.png

15. Rise Of The Eagles
ufdup.png

This should be the new metric system to rate things like movies and air quality.

NotLiquid

Drowned In Sound gave the album a 2/10 and slammed the album for being nonsensical anger and that the band are trying too hard to be relevant or something

Then again they gave IMD a 4/10 so you know whatever

Whole album sounds great, not like their other albums at all.

Ibiza is fucking terrible though, which is a shame as its a pimple on an otherwise steller album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom