• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Day Is My Enemy |OT| The long-awaited new album from The Prodigy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess my expectations were pretty high for this one or probably my music taste has changed over the years, but this album really let me down .... I wont even dare compare it to Fat of the Land, much less so to Firestarter, but really :/ if i wanted to hear crappy-run-off-the-mill-generic Dub step i'd listen to Infected mushroom, and even their latest release was much better than this, ... seriously ... what the heck happened to Prodigy ?

iMax

Well, I guess my expectations were pretty high for this one or probably my music taste has changed over the years, but this album really let me down .... I wont even dare compare it to Fat of the Land, much less so to Firestarter, but really :/ if i wanted to hear crappy-run-off-the-mill-generic Dub step i'd listen to Infected mushroom, and even their latest release was much better than this, ... seriously ... what the heck happened to Prodigy ?

You must've listened to the wrong album. There's no dubstep here.

^ Hehe indeed!

ZSznnIK.jpg

Just waiting for 2x12" to be delivered :D

Robin64

Amazing album, love it to bits. While I did like Invaders Must Die and Always Outnumbered, this feels like a real return to form for me. It's up there with Fat of the Land in my mind.

The 1-2-3 punch of Destroy, Wild Frontier and Rok-weiler in the middle is just the best thing in the world.

Atrophis

Huh wish I'd seen this thread earlier, could have been listening to this so much earlier :(

Just having a gander on Spotify now. Liking it so far. Those Experience vibes from Destroy. Don't hate on Ibiza though, just think of it as a Sleaford Mods track and it's all good. Rhythm Bomb easily the worst track so far, thanks Flux Pavilion.

Happy enough to pick up the 2-LP next month when I've got some spare cash.

Still weird to see vinyl sold in HMV. Nearly fell over when I went into one a few weeks ago and saw a large selection that was actually cheap!

Fucking hell, not enjoying this so far at all. Just sounds like they grabbed some random dubstep producer from the street, told him to make their next album and fucked off. Even jilted and fat of the land sound more next level than this stuff and those were made in the nineties for christ sake.

Haha you guys are killing me. You've both never actually listened to dubstep in your life have you?

iMax

Here's a hi-res version of the album art for HMV's exclusive EP—just in case you want it for your iTunes library!

0iBchiS.png

boinx

Huh wish I'd seen this thread earlier, could have been listening to this so much earlier :(

Just having a gander on Spotify now. Liking it so far. Those Experience vibes from Destroy. Don't hate on Ibiza though, just think of it as a Sleaford Mods track and it's all good. Rhythm Bomb easily the worst track so far, thanks Flux Pavilion.

Happy enough to pick up the 2-LP next month when I've got some spare cash.

Still weird to see vinyl sold in HMV. Nearly fell over when I went into one a few weeks ago and saw a large selection that was actually cheap!

Haha you guys are killing me. You've both never actually listened to dubstep in your life have you?

Yo, just because these tunes aren't structured like most dubstep or even sound exactly it, doesn't mean that it doesn't have that particular sound, at least to my ears anyway. This stuff doesn't compare at all with the prodigy's 90s production to me.

BeeDog

Has anyone received their super deluxe bundle yet? Please post pictures if so!

Waiting extremely eagerly for my copy to arrive. SPEED UP, DAMNIT.

iMax

Has anyone received their super deluxe bundle yet? Please post pictures if so!

Waiting extremely eagerly for my copy to arrive. SPEED UP, DAMNIT.

There's a bunch of photos on Instagram under the tag #thedayismyenemy. One sec, I'll try and find one for ya.

edit: can't find any good ones. I've seen it though and it's gorgeous.

kyser73

Yo, just because these tunes aren't structured like most dubstep or even sound exactly it, doesn't mean that it doesn't have that particular sound, at least to my ears anyway. This stuff doesn't compare at all with the prodigy's 90s production to me.

I'm listening to Destroy as I type this and it sounds almost exactly like mid-90s UK hardcore. Shit, one of the samples is directly off at least 20 tracks from that era.

Now I'm listening to Wild Frontier which is straight out of Experience for the most part.

The only dubstep track on the album is Invisible Sun, and that actually has more in common with Benga and orignal-style dubstep than the bro-step/robots arguing stuff that Skrillex & suchlike put out.

IMO this is the best Prodigy album since Fat Of The Land. They always have a few tracks that cover their musical history, but this one REALLY walks through their own past and that of the UK dance scene. Ibiza is probably the weakest track, and even that has a cheeky geezerish charm that, if you know anything about Ibiza, probably makes more sense than if you've never been there or seen how its changed over the last 28 years since those early days.

BeeDog

Roadblox .....my oh my this song is going to land me in jail when I drive. Z06 going all out I can't help myself

Tell me about it! When I first heard it I didn't really care about it, but after blasting it in the car on my way to work, I fell in love with it. Insane tempo and drive to the track, very oldschool as well.

gatti-man

I'm listening to Destroy as I type this and it sounds almost exactly like mid-90s UK hardcore. Shit, one of the samples is directly off at least 20 tracks from that era.

Now I'm listening to Wild Frontier which is straight out of Experience for the most part.

The only dubstep track on the album is Invisible Sun, and that actually has more in common with Benga and orignal-style dubstep than the bro-step/robots arguing stuff that Skrillex & suchlike put out.

IMO this is the best Prodigy album since Fat Of The Land. They always have a few tracks that cover their musical history, but this one REALLY walks through their own past and that of the UK dance scene. Ibiza is probably the weakest track, and even that has a cheeky geezerish charm that, if you know anything about Ibiza, probably makes more sense than if you've never been there or seen how its changed over the last 28 years since those early days.
This is also my favorite since fat of the land. Very consistent, high quality throughout.

NotLiquid

I don't think it would have been a tall order for The Prodigy to put out an album that would be the "best" one since The Fat of The Land, especially with Howlett's prowess, but I think they've easily succeeded in putting out a worthy successor. This album is everything I could have hoped that they'd put out. It makes up for IMD's relative identity crisis and weaker production and makes an album that feels consistent and confident throughout. It might not be to everyone's palettes but god damn is it a solid banger. I would say the first half is better than the second and I can see why some people might think the album runs on for too long, but I didn't really mind it since the jams are just that good.

Rebel Radio and Rok-Weiler feel like they're straight out of The Fat of The Land era. Some of my favorite tracks on a cursory listen. Rhythm Bomb is one hell of a jammer and Beyond the Deathray feels like some new ground that I hope to see more of from The Prodigy. It's so cool to know that in spite of technology evolving, Howlett has still opted to be completely analogue on this album. It just shows how much of a virtuoso he is.

Well worth the wait.

Their best album since The Fat of the Land. I am in fucking LOVE with this album. "Ibiza" is pretty terrible, and I'm still not feeling "Medicine" quite yet, but fuck me it's goooood. "Roadblox" has to be one of the greatest tunes they've ever produced. I can't stop listening to it.

Bumhead

Banned
Yeah, this is really, really good.

Feels like an album that grows into itself as well. I like but don't quite love yet all of the first 4 tracks, but from Destroy onwards it's utterly pulsating. As someone correctly stated above, the 1-2-3 punch of Destroy, Wild Frontier and Rok-Weiler is fantastic. Wild Frontier felt like the weaker of the pre-released tracks to me at the time, but in the context of the full album I'm loving it, and Rok-Weiler is extraordinarily good. That and Roadblox do crazy.. scary things to my brain.

A new Prodigy album is always an event in itself but this one absolutely delivers. There's some top-tier stuff on here.

BeeDog

YES, received my SUPER BUNDLE today. Damn, it's a fantastic package, though haven't had time to play the vinyls yet.

JimiNutz

Banned
Damn wasn't expecting much from this as didn't really like Invaders Must Die and thought I had outgrown the band but reading the impressions in here has made me want to listen to this straight away.
Will be rocking this in the car on the way to Muay Thai tonight!

iMax

This is happening tonight!

5N2mvUG.png

Album Track-by-Track Talkthrough, Eddy Temple-Morris (XFM), 03/04/15 22:00 UTC
Run-through the new album with track-by-track commentary from Liam and Keith
[B]http://www.xfm.co.uk[/B]
To celebrate the release of their new album ‘The Day Is My Enemy’ this week, the Prodigy boys, minus Maxim, came into the Xfm studio to record a very special ‘special’.
Rebelling as ever, Liam said he didn’t want to do a ‘normal’ album run through, he felt something deeper would be more appropriate, given we’d had such a good time recording the ‘Desert Island Discs’ type show for Spotify a week previously (just search Liam Howlett’s Rebel Radio playlist and you’ll find what turned out to be, probably the highlight of my career). So, the boys take us through not only 10 tunes from their blistering new album, but choose a track from each of their previous albums to play and tell us the stories behind them. It’s compelling, fascinating and uncompromising as ever.

The Prodigy – The Day Is My Enemy (Cooking Vinyl)
The Prodigy – Everybody In The Place (Original 12″ version) (XL)
– ad break ()
The Prodigy – Poison [off ‘Music For The Jilted Generation’ LP] (XL)
The Prodigy – Rok-Weiler [off ‘The Day Is My Enemy’ LP] (Cooking Vinyl)
– ad break ()
The Prodigy – Rebel Radio [off ‘The Day Is My Enemy’ LP] (Cooking Vinyl)
The Prodigy – Medecine [off ‘The Day Is My Enemy’ LP] (Cooking Vinyl)
The Prodigy – Beyond The Death Ray [off ‘The Day Is My Enemy’ LP] (Cooking Vinyl)
– ad break ()
The Prodigy – Wild Frontier [off ‘The Day Is My Enemy’ LP] (Cooking Vinyl)
The Prodigy – Wall Of Death [off ‘The Day Is My Enemy’ LP] (Cooking Vinyl)
The Prodigy – Invisible Sun [off ‘The Day Is My Enemy’ LP] (Cooking Vinyl)
– ad break ()
The Prodigy – Roadblox [off ‘The Day Is My Enemy’ LP] (Cooking Vinyl)
The Prodigy – Ibiza [off ‘The Day Is My Enemy’ LP] (Cooking Vinyl)
– ad break ()
The Prodigy – Smack My Bitch Up (Noisia Remix) [off ‘Fat Of the Land’ LP Reissue Bonus Disc] (XL)
The Prodigy – Spitfire [off ‘Always Outnumbered Never Outgunned’ LP] (XL)
The Prodigy – Take Me To The Hospital [off ‘Invaders Must Die’ LP] (Cooking Vinyl)
The Prodigy – Big Gun Down (XL)
[end of show]

NotLiquid

This is incredible. I'm in London for the weekend and, wouldn't you know it, The Prodigy decided to do a huge guerilla marketing stunt. They projected the album cover onto several major London landmarks last night and sirens were blaring looking for the source. I dont have any photos but the band put photos on their Twitter/Instagram and even put a video on Facebook.

"Fuck em and their law" indeed.

Also managed to get the HMV exclusive EP. Really hard to find atm.

iMax

This is incredible. I'm in London for the weekend and, wouldn't you know it, The Prodigy decided to do a huge guerilla marketing stunt. They projected the album cover onto several major London landmarks last night and sirens were blaring looking for the source. I dont have any photos but the band put photos on their Twitter/Instagram and even put a video on Facebook.

"Fuck em and their law" indeed.

Also managed to get the HMV exclusive EP. Really hard to find atm.

Hahaha amazing!! They did that without permission? That's awesome.

J10

Banned
A lot of this sounds kinda samey. They took a lot of time off just to stay in the same lane as last time. It's not as good as their best stuff, not as bad as their worst. Kind of middling for them.

WASS THEY F'N DOIN'?! I don't know what possessed me to pick up this album as I haven't really dug The Prodigy since The Fat of the Land but I haven't stopped listening to it for a week. It's SO DAMN CRUNCHY.

Skittles

Blasting this while playing Killing Floor 2, fuck me its good. It's like an evolution of their early stuff which is fantastic

coleco

I don't really like. I've only been able to listen to it a couple of times so maybe there's hope, but all their work since Fat of the land has felt flat, samey and uninspired, with some good moments here and there, and this album seems more of the same.

And even then, half of the tracks in Fat of the land were quite forgettable.

Drowned In Sound gave the album a 2/10 and slammed the album for being nonsensical anger and that the band are trying too hard to be relevant or something

Then again they gave IMD a 4/10 so you know whatever

Sadly, I agree with them, though I would give Invaders a lower score.

Robot Pants

God damn, I'm so late to everything lately.
I was just thinking "shouldn't this be coming out soon?" I look and it's been out for a damn month already. Jesus.

Listening now.

Saw them last night in Newcastle. Absolutely amazing, so much energy, intensity.

Pretty much one of the best shows I've been too. The new stuff translates incredibly well live.

Robot Pants

So I think this is actually pretty damn decent.
I like the latter half of the album more than the first. I love The Day is my Enemy, but the more instrumental tracks are the ones I really like.

I'd say it's just about as good as Invaders Must Die

Thanks ;) just ordered my Birmingham ticket \o/

Also this is out July..
k9kvHNU.jpg

GET YOUR FIGHT ON
AWOL
RHYTHM BOMB (Edit)
REBEL RADIO (Rene Lavice Remix)
THE DAY IS MY ENEMY (Caspa Remix)

Out on CD, 12" and cassette!

iMax

Thanks ;) just ordered my Birmingham ticket \o/

Also this is out July..
k9kvHNU.jpg

GET YOUR FIGHT ON
AWOL
RHYTHM BOMB (Edit)
REBEL RADIO (Rene Lavice Remix)
THE DAY IS MY ENEMY (Caspa Remix)

Out on CD, 12" and cassette!

Holy fuck, AWOL is actually coming out? Is this a dream?!

It is a new unheard version :)
Liam has also said on his insatagram that "one new tune is enough.. For now" so we may get more tunes :)

iMax

AWOL is by far the most banging track they've made since Invaders. Cannot wait. Hope they haven't changed it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom