• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The days of owning games are coming to an end

This seems backwards when you consider Steam. Do you truly own your steam games?
Even if you didn't, people would just rip them into torrents that could always be found into the future, should Steam deny access to all Steamworks titles.

There are also cracks for games that one could previously have before Steam servers are gone. In short, even if Valve didn't step up, the PC community would. It's part of the open nature.

If consoles went offline, I'm not sure what could happen. Can original Xbox DLC still be found and run without modified consoles?

This seems backwards when you consider Steam. Do you truly own your steam games?

Not truly with Steam only titles, but even then the ownership is stronger then with any other similiar service today.

*The DRM is optional on Steam. Lot's of games don't require the client to run. Skyrim was actually launched DRM free by mistake, that's how easy it is to remove it.
*You actually have access to the files, can mod them, etc.
*When you have bought them, they're yours. You don't loose them because a subscription runs out (since there isn't any), and I don't think you can loose access to running the games no matter how badly you f*ck up with payments and/or cheats anymore.

And for PC games in general, DRM free has been a trend for a long time.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This writer needs to realise we've never owned what we've bought technically.

The fact that the manufacturers didn't have a way to enforce their license ownership is what confuses people.

Technology will simply allow the publishers and manufacturers to enforce rules that have been there since day one. We have to deal with it, or simply opt out.

DeVeAn

They way I see it Publishers/Developers never intended for the consumer to "own" any game. Its just that now they have a way to make sure you don't. It was always seen as buying a license to use really.

sublimit

Banned
it's a good thing I've literally purchased almost no DLC for the entire gen and will continue to never purchase DLC :D

Only DLC I can ever remember purchasing was Minerva's Den on PC. I ain't responsible for this future, no sir. ;P

The only DLC i bought last gen was two packages of Valkyria Chronicles content (Selvaria mission and something else) and Artorias of the Abyss.
Oh and a few GT5 tracks.

ramparter

Banned
There are games that I want to own and games that I just want to play.

The other day I was thinking that games like Fifa, Pro etc are a huge waste of space and resources since 99% of time there's no point to go back when the newer one is released.

I personally like Formula 1 but I'm not willing to buy the game at full price and when it's drooped it's already too late and the newer is coming. I'd prefer for such titles to pay a subscription whenever I feel to play them.

Das_Blarthole

Neo Member
it's a good thing I've literally purchased almost no DLC for the entire gen and will continue to never purchase DLC :D
I ain't responsible for this future, no sir. ;P

Fair play to you sir.
I have no wish to see physical copies of games disappear, perhaps we might see smaller packaging in the future in an attempt to reduce distribution costs, but I don't see a future where digital will supplant physical just yet, there's certainly not the convenience with digital copies on consoles that there is with PC.

I'm almost 100% digital at this point. It's only on Nintendo platforms I still buy physically because of the horrible pricing and NNID stuff. But I'm more in the camp of I can afford to lose what I buy.

I only buy exclusives on consoles and the rest on PC so should Sony and MS shut up shop and shut everything down then I'm not losing all that much and should Valve/CD Projekt ever shut down then I wouldn't lose much because cracked versions can be sourced quite easily.

The days of me owning EA games came to an end years ago.

Fortunately, they haven't made a game which has even vaguely interested me in a long time so I have no trouble avoiding them. The new Mirror's Edge is on the horizon, but I'm 99% sure EA will find a way to make that game utterly unappealing to me too.

Leb

Nice stealth Steam Is Savior post, but Steam is the worst offender on this subject.

I would have thought that it was embarrassingly clear that he was saying even that if the worst should happen with Steam, there are other out-of-channel methods for reacquiring lost content.

Qassim

Nice stealth Steam Is Savior post, but Steam is the worst offender on this subject.

When Steam doesn't even mandate DRM and games, if the developer wishes, can be run DRM free without the Steam client im not sure how it is 'one of the worst offenders'.

br3wnor

This is where all software wants to eventually go. Just as Microsoft wants to get you to pay a yearly fee to use Office, game companies are trying the same thing. That way you don't have to release new content to make ppl pony up money, you simply need them to keep using your product.

Personally it doesn't effect me a ton. It will take a while until all games move that direction and even then you'll still have independent publishers using the typical pay for new content model instead of a subscription

Sounds great, can't wait. All digital, all the way!

As far as ownership is concerned, it always confused me that people implied they had ownership of their console games. The consoles are DRM boxes designed to ensure you don't get too much ownership of your games, the license you bought to play the game is included and tied to a physical disc. If that disc gets lost or damaged, the license to play that game could never have been backed up and continued to be used because of DRM.

I'm fine with it all, but I think people forget that they already gave up a decent amount of 'ownership' of their games when they accepted the console model (I know there have been some consoles have had basically non existent DRM, but they've generally been the exception). So it always seems odd to me when people try and take a principled stand against DRM and ownership of their games whilst supporting the things that go against those principles.

Just like people accepted that, they'll accept this too. It's inevitable, and the way many games are designed to be disposable, with a limited shelf-life (so they can sell you a new one in a year or two) - people generally won't care about the longevity of their games in the future. It's happening with every other digital medium, it'll happen with video games too, and it already is happening.

But it's not like one day Sony goons will knock down your door, take your PS3 and all the physical games you have left for it. If it's physically in your hands, in your home, you can do essentially whatever you want with your console and your games. On the other hand, someday those Plus games will no longer be available for download and here EA is already proposing that their version of that doesn't even let you keep games that long. They can be switched out as you "own" them here and now. Not in some relatively distant time when support for old games goes down.

SparkTR

The fact that Steam exists on an open platform means it can never be the worst offender. And regardless, Valve's ecosystem provided the right trade-offs to make digital worth it, drastically cheaper games, convenience compared to where physical was on PC at the time and no subscription or 'use-by-date'. The benefits outweighed the negatives on the platform, so digital worked well into the consumers favor. It seems that every other platform wants to have the digital cake and eat it too, with expensive games, the looming generation shift and locked-in subscriptions. I don't see the trade-offs for consoles and other digital platforms right now, especially when you can trade games in.

Yoday

I'm really not worried about the "servers going down" argument. These companies would have to get to a point where they simply don't exist anymore for them to bring the servers down, and even the a company like Sony would just sell off the PlayStation brand and another company would maintain the storefront. If the world economy ever gets to a point where Steam, PSN, or XBL have to close down for good we are going to have a lot more important things to worry about than not being able to download old games.

Duster

Yep, I'm fine with these services and digital distribution in general as long as there's a genuine choice for those that prefer physical.

Sadly there's little point in owning the discs for many games anyway as they're often essentially unplayable without patches, with a trend for more online features even in single-player games and DLC/micro-transactions it's an issue that will only get worse.
Even with Nintendo where such practices are more limited there's a lot of games that lost content when the Wii/DS servers were shut down.

I'm really not worried about the "servers going down" argument. These companies would have to get to a point where they simply don't exist anymore for them to bring the servers down, and even the a company like Sony would just sell off the PlayStation brand and another company would maintain the storefront. If the world economy ever gets to a point where Steam, PSN, or XBL have to close down for good we are going to have a lot more important things to worry about than not being able to download old games.

Even if I agreed with that and there hadn't already been instances of servers going down you'd still have games removed for licensing issues, if you bought them when they were available you'll be fine but to everybody else there'll be no legitimate way of playing those games, at least now you can usually go and buy a pre-owned copy.

But servers for original Xbox live have already gone down, and they did host DLC.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well of course that's what the publishers want, and it's what Microsoft was pushing for with their original vision of Xbox One. Full control of your games, which is something ONLY the owners of physical media have.

Qassim

But it's not like one day Sony goons will knock down your door, take your PS3 and all the physical games you have left for it. If it's physically in your hands, in your home, you can do essentially whatever you want with your console and your games. On the other hand, someday those Plus games will no longer be available for download and here EA is already proposing that their version of that doesn't even let you keep games that long. They can be switched out as you "own" them here and now. Not in some relatively distant time when support for old games goes down.

Right - I'm not suggesting that it's a set-up that is all that bad for the consumer as in most cases, it's a system that is fine for the consumer.

However, what if the optical media your game is stored on gets damaged and the game has gone out of production? You can't make a backup of your game because of all the DRM on it and even if you could, you can't play that copy on your console because of DRM. Read the back of one of your game boxes, you've bought a copy of a game with a limited license on its use. You're not given full ownership of this copy of the game, you're full ownership of the license which can only be used as the company dictates.

As I said, this is perfectly fine with many people - I'm just pointing out the principled stand for 'game ownership' that some people have is apparently quite shallow given they ignore the entire console model is based around limiting your ownership.

test_account

XP-39C²
The fact that Steam exists on an open platform means it can never be the worst offender. And regardless, Valve's ecosystem provided the right trade-offs to make digital worth it, drastically cheaper games, convenience compared to where physical was on PC at the time and no subscription or 'use-by-date'. The benefits outweighed the negatives on the platform, so digital worked well into the consumers favor. It seems that every other platform wants to have the digital cake and eat it too, with expensive games, the looming generation shift and locked-in subscriptions. I don't see the trade-offs for consoles and other digital platforms right now, especially when you can trade games in.
The article seems to be focusing most on physical game going away, and because of Steam's popularity, its actually one of the worse offenders in that regards. Steam wont save physical games, it will actually contribute for it to go away. If people are happy with digital distribution, then its a bigger chance of physical games going away.

Ultimately it's a question of availability and convenience. And whether or not the games industry can learn the lessons of other media. From an ideological convenience point of view I am all for 100% digital. Indeed so far, with day 1 digital, it's what I'm doing with PS4.
And PS+ on PS3 has been a major success for me.

Here's the thing. I buy books (either kindle or physical) instead of using my library card because the library never has what I want on the shelf.

Same with music. I've transitioned to pure MP3 but product like Spotify fail because of the holes in their library. I'd happily pay £10pcm if every song I could ever want was there and I could easily organise my own sub-collections. I can't, they're not - iTunes FTW.

For TV/Video, yes I've got a Netflex and NowTV sub (UK resident) and use BBC iPlayer. All because it's cheaper and more convenient that live satellite television. Don't watch live TV any more, rather binge watch the shows. Yet I still get annoyed with Netflix's lack of selection or NowTV's 30 day take downs. So yep, <whispers>bit torrent</whispers>

What does this tell us about subscription gaming? If the game(s) I want to play are not on the service, the service holds no value. I'd happily pay a month subscription but I want access to everything and anything on my own terms.

This is what Sony need to understand with Playstation Now. It's not about Gaikai streaming. It's not about backwards compatibility. It's not about recharging for old games at stupid prices. It should be a monthly subscription that gives me unlimited access to a very large library, be it downloaded or streamed, of PS games. Both PS1/2/3 classics and the latest PS4 releases at no extra cost. Got to be worth a good £30 month.

The problem undoubtedly, like with the TV, movie and music industries is going to be regional licencing and legacy publishers not understanding how they can profit from the new paradigm.

Until content is released from the stranglehold of big corps who don't understand it's values, digital distribution will never work properly and will always be full of compromises.

The question for us as consumers is can we live with those compromises, or do I just buy the CD/DVD/Blu-Ray?

I honestly couldn't care less - there are benefits as well as drawbacks, and the benefits appeal to me a lot more than the drawbacks do. I, too, have a stack of PS1 games - and I never use them.

MBR

Banned
The "servers will go down at one point" doesn't really apply to PC since you can just download a copy of your game from anywhere and crack it if the source company stops hosting it.

But for consoles, it's scary how big subscription based gaming is looking to become. Buying full downloads is less risky, but if the storage device blows up 20 years from now it's likely you won't be able to get it up and running again on a new HDD/SSD unless the console is homebrew'd so you can get your games from unofficial sources.

And that obligatory line in every ToS/EULA's which says "You own only a license for this software, and we may take it from you at any time" doesn't make it safer either.

I doubt I ever hop on the digital only lifestyle it's to many worrying factors in it for me. I'll take my physical copies all day everyday.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I will continue to support physical copies as long as possible and, if they die off, I'll focus on building my library from consoles of the past. I won't give in to this kind of thing. I have little interest in renting my games.

I take advantage of PS Plus free games from time to time but still ultimately purchase the games I enjoyed the most (provided they have a physical release).

There are some recent games that I really lament not being available physically. I would have been there day 1 for the update to "Abe's Oddysee" but $29.99 for a digital game is a huge turn off. I'd pay $50-60 for a physical copy of that same game.

After going through a generation of digital games I've emerged feeling as if I never actually owned any of those games and regret spending money on them. I'll still buy digital games from time to time but I've completely stopped supporting iOS releases.

Jito

Banned
How about you just don't subscribe to it if you don't want it / like the practice? Complicated huh?

Only if you let it happen.

this- I thought the same numerous times when I went pure PC gaming a while ago.I was happy I would be rid of my PC game boxes. Ended up buying so many LE's it didnt save me any space and I needed a new bookshelf for all the boxes.

Lernaean

Banned
I buy physical only (well when physical is available) and i've stopped supporting publishers like EA for a long time now, and tbh i don't think i'm missing anything.

SparkTR

The article seems to be focusing most on physical game going away, and because of Steam's popularity, its actually one of the worse offenders in that regards. Steam wont save physical games, it will actually contribute for it to go away. If people are happy with digital distribution, then its a bigger chance of physical games going away.

The PC and console markets are extremely different in that regard. PC retail was already going away, regardless if digital was there or not. The patching process, DRM methods (no trading), prices and fractured online all made PC retail terrible for consumers in the early and mid '00s. Steam and other PC digital stores made digital so enticing precisely because PC retail was dead, retailers didn't give a shit if Valve and publishers undermined them, they weren't selling PC games anyway! This isn't the case with consoles, you cannot provide fantastic digital without undermining retailers, and the retailers are still important in regards to console gaming. That's where I feel it falls apart.

For the record, I am 95% digital these days, precisely because PC digital is so great compared to retail on any platform (at least where I live). I'd be all for a digital future if everything was like how it is on PC, but the retailers prevalence in console gaming, the closed corporate nature of consoles, the fact that they all seem to be centred around subscriptions and the generation obsolescence with doubtful BC makes me never want to touch it on consoles with a 10ft pole.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
I feel that it's inevitable that games will go all digital, sooner or later. If you are able to buy a disc with a game on it in 10 years it will probably be the same way people buy LPs today, for collecting, and they will probably be more expensive than digital.

The thing that's not clear is if games will retain a subscription model, an a la carte model, or a combination. I'm guessing we'll see a combo, like Netflix is today, where games that are a year or older are available by subscription while the hot, new game must be bought separately.

EDIT: PC might actually be the safest in this regard. If Steam suddenly shut down I would just pirate the hell out of all the games I already owned, and wouldn't have any qualms doing so. I already paid for the stuff. The only thing I might lose is access to the online multiplayer of these games, but I don't care much about that anymore.

I also never replay games. So I couldn't really care less, even if I lose them for good.

Yagharek

If gaming shifts to a rental system, I shift to paying no more than rental prices.

That means I will pay $5 maximum for renting games that retail for $99.95 in Australia.

Meh. I love digital. I'm not interested in a shelf of games or trading in. I only trade in to clear the shelf.

Now down to all digital in PC. 1 physical game in on ps4 (bf4) and 1 physical on vita (persona 4).

I prefer the convenience and availability when I want it.

However ps4 has a price problem. A lot of game are £55 new digitally which is ridiculous. I happy paid £40 for TLoU remastered because I never owned a ps3 and wanted this game since it came out. £40 for these games on release would be fine. £55 is taking the piss.

However they do have PS+. So basically my systems will prob get used in this way.

• ps4 for psplus games and exclusives.
• vita for anything I prefer on handheld (jrpgs and many indie games)
• PC for everything else.

If Sony ever fuck up royal and lose my games permanently then I will never trust them again but for now I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

On the bigger scale it's great that physical still exists. There are a lot of people who like it for various reasons.

On a more selfish scale if physical dies then the digital space might actually become competitive and priced better. Retail is holding digital back.

If at the end of ps4's life Sony do what valve sat they will do and basically flip a switch to let your games be downloaded locally then installed and uninstalled on your ps4 at will through that local backup then were all good. It will be down to the user to look after there digital games.

If they shut down servers and you straight up lose everything you ever bought then that's me lost as a customer forever.

However its more likely that due to architecture changes the next PS system will just let you play your digital perchases on it. Which is also fine. Like buying a new PC and redownloading your steam library.

Morat

Banned
If this happens, I will quit gaming. However since I mainly play on my PC these days, there should be enough choice outside those trying to force these ungodly business models on us.

iMerc

the issue isn't 'NOT' owning a physical copy.
the issue is giving these corporations the power to potentially take away games you've bought & played for, and not having access to said titles forever.

i have a nes from the mid 80's, and i can still play games from 25 years ago on it.
nintendo can't take that away from me.

i have a psx with a whole bunch of games, and 15 years after i originally purchased them, i can still plug my psx in and play an original, non 'greatest hits'(;p) version of FF7. sony can't stop me from doing this. i'll be able to play this game forever, provided i look after my console and game.

however, if you look at the 'path' that these corporations are trying to take software, they are gunning for a scenario were you merely 'rent' a game for certain amount of time before that said title becomes invalid for whatever reason.
then you have to wait until the next console/terminal is released and cross your toes and fingers that the said title is also 'retro-released' on that system too.

it's complete and utter bullshit. i don't mind a digital download future&#8230; but if i digitally download your game, then 20 years from now if i want to, i should still be able to turn on that system, and play that said game that i downloaded and saved to my hard drive all those years ago; just like that.
if i can't do that, and the said game no longer exists where it did, then that's fucked, and people SHOULD be wearing tin foil hats with this.

Marcel

The selection at the end that says people are just going to lay down for closed systems because of hype is pretty disgusting to me. Hopefully none of you actually do that.

Physical should exist as a choice for the medium of content delivery is always a good thing for the consumer.

NewGame

Banned
It seems to be this way with a lot of art mediums. Music, TV and books have already slotted themselves into this category.

It's sad but it really is the future. I can only hope that the systems in place that allow you access to the games become more and more robust with compelling additions.

But you know what, video games are becoming harder and harder to maintain as a buying habbit. Collectors will know how difficult it is to actually amass a wealth of games. The digital future seems to be not only a technological future but also a lifestyle future. I mean, remember that guy on GAF who gave away their Steam account? When I tried to open the games list on my phone the browser had a fatal error and crashed. Maybe that's what the future of impressive gaming collections will be...

The loss of physical cd's for games in my opinion is a step in the right direction in keeping them going.

Games aren't like art in the traditional sense. There is only ever one art piece. There aren't multiple unless they are forgeries. Games have the opportunity to be more than that. A game hosted on a cloud system is a game that can be enjoyed by anyone, at any time or anywhere. I think that cloud gaming/streaming is great, because you don't have to care about the hardware, this game will always be playable because it's on a server.

Yes one day the server could go down, but there will almost certainly be backups, but they too could go down, they could all go down. It would be extremely unlikely, but it could happen, and that is a risk we are all going to have to take.

The only thing I feel bad for are the games that have come before this moment, specifically the console ones. Because you don't get console museums. You don't get the Sega Megadrive in a museum with all the games there that you can play. Those games are art in the traditional sense. In 50 years there will be people who have probably never heard of it or will ever see it, let alone play it. These are the history our industry and we are going to lose it.

That makes me sad, but when I think about things I'm glad we started catching onto this idea now. The Games industry has only been around for about 40 years, we only have the potential to lose that much. Imagine that amount of art in other mediums that has been lost in the last 2000+ years.

Physical distribution wastes packaging and silicon/plastic on data I should be able to store on an HDD/SSD. And digital can be done very idealistically -- see GOG. I'd argue GOG is better than physical. And my Steam library can be cracked so easily that I don't consider it far off from GOG. The real problem people have with digital is that games can be lost. I'm scared of losing a game or two due to new digital distribution, but only one or two at most.

One argument made against digital is that digital games can be taken from you while physical games can't. But just like how live concerts aren't the same when watched recorded, multiplayer games are phenomena that exist at points in time and depend on their players to be their content, so even physical games can die when the players leave. On top of that, physical media decays unless you rip to digital and protect against bitrot.

It's still true that a (let's assume single player) digital game can now be taken from you in other ways. I mean, we did see this happen with Plants Vs Zombies getting swapped out for an IAP-ridden version, but that's an exception -- only a handful of games have had this happen to them. This is a problem, but I think laws and attitudes will eventually catch up to this sort of thing. US supreme court judges haven't gotten to email yet, after all -- wait for them to kick the bucket and we can pass the right laws.

And when games are old enough, bitrot, and hardware decay will be fought by pirates, emulator/VM writers, and video game historians to preserve forgotten games. Physical will not save them from these long-term horrors. And games that aren't forgotten tend to be re-released. Since there's money and drive in nostalgia, anything worth preserving usually gets preserved.

It might not be the cleanest future, but it's one where everything survives by some miracle anyways.

Top Bottom