• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

Skilletor

So I got FFT: War of the Lions in that code grab. But Is Tactics Ogre, and Jeanne D'arc better to the point I should also grab them? Trying to get a read on what is more or less considered king.

Tactics Ogre is generally considered better than FFT. Jeanne D'Arc is a great game, but kind of like...MY FIRST SRPG. It's good, but not as deep as FFT or TO.

They're all great games. I'd say TO first, FFT, then Jeanne.

Don't forget Wild Arms XF!

this. don't forget to play this gem. it's better than Jeanne D'Arc, and it's approach to SRPG is actually fresh and unique, forcing you to think and strategize more rather than power level your character and finish the game by brute force.

playing TO and FFT in succession will probably burnt you out because those two games have kinda similar gameplay

injurai

Banned
Well I'm trying to find a game that has great pick up and get into sort of gameplay. Do SRPG's have some sort of custom game mode outside of the story similar to RTS games. Just to get that strategy fix?

I just re-purchased a game I already own for the convenience. I feel dirty.
jesus GAF bought Ys Seven, what the fuck is up with the difficulty of the first boss?
Welcome to Ys! You need to either stop being bad at the game, or grind a level or two. Both ways are fine, that's one of the great things with the series.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Are the Ys game on a limited time sale @ $14.99? I don't feel like paying for them right now, since it'll be a while before I play them, but if they are on sale I'll have to buy them.

Are the Ys game on a limited time sale @ $14.99? I don't feel like paying for them right now, since it'll be a while before I play them, but if they are on sale I'll have to buy them.

I'm curious too.

I actually feel this way about most of the games on PSN. My kneejerk reaction is to buy them all now, while the price is low, in case they do go up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

That's normal price. In fact Chronicles (and Trails in the Sky) just dropped by $10 within the last month. Seven and Oath have been $15 for a while now I think.

jesus GAF bought Ys Seven, what the fuck is up with the difficulty of the first boss?

yea.. don't bother buying Ys Oath of Felghana if you have trouble with Ys 7. Ys seven is very forgiving since you can grind for money and buy lots of potion and just brute force bosses with lots of potion.

Ys Oath of Felghana, you can only bring few potion, and they don't replenish if you died on boss battle and retry

krYlon

First boss in Ys Seven? Good luck with the rest of the game and series. :)

Seriously though, you'll get the hang of it. Be patient and learn attack patterns.

Kiraly

Yeah eh for a minute I forgot it remains an action RPG, I just waltzed through the plains and tried to fight it at level 2 with no healing potions whatsoever.

Grinded for a bit, bought some new equipment and fared a lot better this time.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've yet to see a PSP game that looks worse on the Vita, even if they are being upscaled. Dracula X Chronicles went from unplayable, muddy mess on my PSP1000 to WHOA SO GOOD on my Vita.

Dat Vita OLED cleaning up PSP's crappy LCD blur-o-vision mess.

This thread convinced me to finally buy The 3rd Birthday :) THANK GOD I DID NOT BUY THE UMD when i had my PSP. This game is so amazing on Vita its unbelievable. Camera on the right stick is great, even though the game has a pretty stellar auto camera.

One question for you guys. Can i download the japanese Final Fantasy Type-0 demo to my Vita? Or do i have to put it on PS3 and then transfer it? Or does it even work?

What's the best Ys to start with? I tried 1 starting out but it wasn't catching on for me. Too simple maybe? You know, for someone not familiar with series norms.

It's kinda like how if I were to get someone started on Dragon Quest I wouldn't start them with I or II because they don't teach you enough. The trilogy on DS is much easier to ease people into how the series works. What would be that game for Ys?

I've yet to see a PSP game that looks worse on the Vita, even if they are being upscaled. Dracula X Chronicles went from unplayable, muddy mess on my PSP1000 to WHOA SO GOOD on my Vita.

Really? That's disappointing. I was seriously considering getting Tactics Ogre to play on the Vita.

What other games show a substantial improvement?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
um trying to buy Ys Oath of Felghana but its not available on the vita psn store, is it done through the PS3?

You in Europe? Heard the games aren't up yet over there, but in North America that and Seven should both be on the Vita store.

You should be able to transfer it over the PS3 though from what I've seen on here.

Really? That's disappointing. I was seriously considering getting Tactics Ogre to play on the Vita.

Wait, disappointing? He said he hasn't seen a game that looks worse :lol The upscaling is 1:1 since the Vita screen resolution is exactly 4x the resolution of the PSP (2x in each direction), so there's no ugly scaling to fit a different resolution like DS games on 3DS. Combined with the much better screen and optional bilinear filtering (helps on some games, hurts on others) you'll be hard pressed to find a game that looks better on PSP.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

It's disappointing that the OLED on the Vita makes all PSP games look better? It's disappointing for the PSP owners that the PSP didn't have OLED before, but this thread is for Vita owners.

um trying to buy Ys Oath of Felghana but its not available on the vita psn store, is it done through the PS3?
It's available on the US Vita store.
If it's not in your location, check your PS3 store and then you probably can transfer it over using the content manager.

xxczx

OK! Last Persona related question for me (I finally bought the P2/3 bundle!)

I played Persona 3 on PS2 but I didn't complete it, I did get far (35~ hours) and I do know what happens at the end but not how it happens. Should I go for FeMC? I'm thinking it'll be fun to play as her, I guess.

TheExodu5

Banned

Vita's resolution is exactly 2x2 the resolution of the PSP, so with bilinear filtering off scaling is perfect. Bilinear filtering can help some games look a bit better as well (depends heavily on the game, though).

K1LLER7

You in Europe? Heard the games aren't up yet over there, but in North America that and Seven should both be on the Vita store.

You should be able to transfer it over the PS3 though from what I've seen on here.

yeah i'm in europe, i'll try the transfer through the PS3, Thanks :)

What's the best Ys to start with? I tried 1 starting out but it wasn't catching on for me. Too simple maybe? You know, for someone not familiar with series norms.

It's kinda like how if I were to get someone started on Dragon Quest I wouldn't start them with I or II because they don't teach you enough. The trilogy on DS is much easier to ease people into how the series works. What would be that game for Ys?

If you're finding the early Ys games in the series to be too simple start with 7, I guess, or maybe 3. Just know that the mechanics in the series change from game-to-game, there's no real easing-in given that each game differs from one another, the one common thread shared is all of them are pretty fast, action based rpgs. Ys 1 and 2 are similar with their simple combat mechanics (tied to position and movement) whereas Ys 3 is a different sort of beast that's much more of a dyed in the wool action rpg with lots of platforming. Seven is also more of a traditional action rpg, but you have a party to roll with and there's less platforming.

I'm just saying "traditional" in the sense that you use buttons for combat as opposed to running into enemies as you do in Chronicles.

It's disappointing that the OLED on the Vita makes all PSP games look better? It's disappointing for the PSP owners that the PSP didn't have OLED before, but this thread is for Vita owners.

It's available on the US Vita store.
If it's not in your location, check your PS3 store and then you probably can transfer it over using the content manager.

LOL I'm an idiot.

I read: "I've yet to see a PSP game that looks worse on the Vita" as that he hasn't seen a game that looks worse than Tactics Ogre on the Vita yet. Which of course I found disappointing.

Now I get it.

If you're finding the early Ys games in the series to be too simple start with 7, I guess, or maybe 3. Just know that the mechanics in the series change from game-to-game, there's no real easing-in given that each game differs from one another, the one common thread shared is all of them are pretty fast, action based rpgs. Ys 1 and 2 are similar with their simple combat mechanics (tied to position and movement) whereas Ys 3 is a different sort of beast that's much more of a dyed in the wool action rpg with lots of platforming. Seven is also more of a traditional action rpg, but you have a party to roll with and there's less platforming.

I'm just saying "traditional" in the sense that you use buttons for combat as opposed to running into enemies as you do in Chronicles.

Ahh, okay. 3 sounds most like my style then. I hear platforming and I am happy. That's the Oath of Whatsicalled, right? I just figure even if they're pretty different game to game, there's gotta be a bunch of common elements that I'll understand better if I played another game in the series prior.

Goody

Tactics Ogre is generally considered better than FFT. Jeanne D'Arc is a great game, but kind of like...MY FIRST SRPG. It's good, but not as deep as FFT or TO.

Well, considering that with other SRPGs I get quite a ways in then get stuck because I've mismanaged something along the line and had to quit, Jeanette D'arc is probably my next buy.

tokkun

I disagree with most of that assessment.

Tactics Ogre is the last SRPG to play in that sequence. Despite having the best plot of the three games, the story manages to be extremely dry because the characters are very poorly defined. The game also has issues with pacing rewards to the player since devleping character skills takes a really long time. Unless you are into hardcore SRPG mechanics you will probably fall asleep playing it. The PSP version of the game is fairly balanced in that it is difficult to make god-mode characters by the end of the game. The game also has the most content of any of the three.

FFT is the best overall game out of the three. Its story is somewhat silly (especially in comparison to TO), but it is at least interesting. Its job system is way more interesting than the systems in the other game, which makes it more rewarding to play, and since you can level up jobs relatively quickly and job skills play a larger role in combat, you can make more dynamic strategies for each map than you can with the other games. FFT also has better visuals and music than the other two games, although there are some slowdown issues with the PSP version. I also personally think that the timed abilities in FFT make its combat the most strategically interesting. The biggest weakness of the game is that the difficulty balance can be fairly uneven. There are a few battles in the game which are almost comically difficult for new players who don't know they are coming (including one near the beginning of the game). It's also possible to make the last portion of the game too easy by exploiting some of the advanced job classes if you know what you are doing.

Jeanne D'arc is just kind of bland. It does everything fairly competently, but doesn't do anything spectacularly. It doesn't really have a job system which takes away a lot of the fun of developing characters. I don't know if I'd call it "My First RPG" - it's true that the combat is less complex, with a lot of it relying on Rock/Paper/Scissors-type rules, but the game isn't necessarily all that easy. Easier than FFT or TO, yes, but no cake walk. For a first RPG, I'd recommend Disgaea. Complex as its systems get, I think it is friendlier to new players due to its basic job system, light-hearted themes, and option to adjust the game's difficulty to suit your own skill level.

Honestly, other than the volume of content, I struggle to see why people would prefer TO over FFT. Prior to the PSP remakes you could point to the hardcore difficulty of TO, but with the PSP versions I think FFT is now the more difficult game, not to mention being more fun.

Skilletor

I disagree with most of that assessment.

Tactics Ogre is the last SRPG to play in that sequence. Despite having the best plot of the three games, the story manages to be extremely dry because the characters are very poorly defined. The game also has issues with pacing rewards to the player since devleping character skills takes a really long time. Unless you are into hardcore SRPG mechanics you will probably fall asleep playing it. The PSP version of the game is fairly balanced in that it is difficult to make god-mode characters by the end of the game. The game also has the most content of any of the three.

FFT is the best overall game out of the three. Its story is somewhat silly (especially in comparison to TO), but it is at least interesting. Its job system is way more interesting than the systems in the other game, which makes it more rewarding to play, and since you can level up jobs relatively quickly and job skills play a larger role in combat, you can make more dynamic strategies for each map than you can with the other games. FFT also has better visuals and music than the other two games, although there are some slowdown issues with the PSP version. I also personally think that the timed abilities in FFT make its combat the most strategically interesting. The biggest weakness of the game is that the difficulty balance can be fairly uneven. There are a few battles in the game which are almost comically difficult for new players who don't know they are coming (including one near the beginning of the game). It's also possible to make the last portion of the game too easy by exploiting some of the advanced job classes if you know what you are doing.

Jeanne D'arc is just kind of bland. It does everything fairly competently, but doesn't do anything spectacularly. It doesn't really have a job system which takes away a lot of the fun of developing characters. I don't know if I'd call it "My First RPG" - it's true that the combat is less complex, with a lot of it relying on Rock/Paper/Scissors-type rules, but the game isn't necessarily all that easy. Easier than FFT or TO, yes, but no cake walk. For a first RPG, I'd recommend Disgaea. Complex as its systems get, I think it is friendlier to new players due to its basic job system, light-hearted themes, and option to adjust the game's difficulty to suit your own skill level.

Honestly, other than the volume of content, I struggle to see why people would prefer TO over FFT. Prior to the PSP remakes you could point to the hardcore difficulty of TO, but with the PSP versions I think FFT is now the more difficult game, not to mention being more fun.

Different strokes. :) It's difficult for me to think FFT is the more challenging game since I've played it dozens of times by now and now its ends and outs. I think TO is definitely more challenging now, but that might only be because I'm not familiar with it.

I like TO's story a lot, although that's not why I would ever recommend a game over another. Smith's translation in TO is amazing where FFT seems to be trying to mimic it. But that being said, I really couldn't care less about the story. I come for the gameplay and for me TO is the best available, followed by FFT.

lupin23rd

Picked up Y's 7 last night and ended up playing almost 3 hours, glad I picked it up. Still kinda odd the most love my Vita will get for a while might be PSP games.

Top Bottom