• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The *Definitive* PSP RPGs for Vita Thread

Jay Sosa

It's almost an rpg, but Symphony of the Night is pretty great in this thing, probably the best visuals/controls you could ask for.

I just beat it, but how do you access the new game+ and upside down castle again? After the credits it just kicked me to the title screen and using my save just puts me before Richter again...

have you used the orb?

We've had games cut out dubs, partially or fully, in extreme cases like this I think more people would be sympathetic than angry with Xseed, though I think a partial dub (major events, like in Lunar or something) would be a good compromise. The bigger problem with Zero is, yeah, they need to get through 2 and 3 first.

I thought the problem with Zero no Kiseki Vita is that it's not made or published by Falcom, the port is made by Pyramid (patapon dev), and will be published by Kadokawa games, but Falcom will still contribute with rearranged soundtrack.

so if xseed want to bring it over to western release, they probably have to regeotiate the localization deal again, and kadokawa and falcom probably both want their cut of the deal rather than the past falcom games where xseed will just have to deal with falcom.

raiot

Hm, there is no Ys: Oath in Felghana in the German Vita store... Do I have to download it with my PS3 or am I out of luck?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
It's great to see so many people giving Trails in the Sky a shot. It's so, so good.

Couldn't recommend it more. Definitely one of my favorite PSP games. It's really my only only purchase that I regret not owning a physical copy. That said, the digital copy has very few if any load times! :-/

jyx

I love my Vita. The release games are so so in my opinion. But the system is a wonderful piece of hardware. The screen is the best I have seen on any device. The colors and screen response time. Just fantastic! Perfect for playing psp jrpgs. I have Lunar and Half minute hero. Both looks and plays fantastic on the Vita. Downloading Trails in the sky now. I love my Vita/life :)

Since i bought tactics ogre after checking out this thread, i haven't touched any other games, PS3 or vita lol its sooo good. Thanks gaf!

Think i will pick up that trails of the sky game too since y'all seem to recommend it highly.

I thought the problem with Zero no Kiseki Vita is that it's not made or published by Falcom, the port is made by Pyramid (patapon dev), and will be published by Kadokawa games, but Falcom will still contribute with rearranged soundtrack.

so if xseed want to bring it over to western release, they probably have to regeotiate the localization deal again, and kadokawa and falcom probably both want their cut of the deal rather than the past falcom games where xseed will just have to deal with falcom.

So it may not even be worth playing then, if the chances of the sequels coming over are slim? I'd hate to get involved in a story where I won't be able to know how it ends.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So it may not even be worth playing then, if the chances of the sequels coming over are slim? I'd hate to get involved in a story where I won't be able to know how it ends.

FC is a complete game, it's plot concludes. It's not the complete story of everything that's happening, but it's not like it's half a game. It does lead into SC, and at this point we're still likely to get that, even if it's not going to be on PSP (or Vita for that matter).

But there's no realistic chance of getting anything beyond the third game, and I think even that is extremely unlikely regardless of how FC and SC do on Steam. I doubt you'd be disappointed with the first two games though, especially if the second game is as good as people say it is.

I didn't want to spend more than $10 right now on a PSP game, and Cladun is looking pretty good($10 on GameStop). I read a review and it sounds fun. Anyone know how it looks on Vita?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Played The Legend of Heroes : Trails in the Sky for about 6 hours now. Just got to the point where you (super slight story spoiler)
take the 2 reporters into the tower

And I must say.. its not living up to the high standard set YET.

Don't worry, I like the game enough to continue playing and there are tons of systems I already like, like the very charming character dialogues,the changing dialogues from the towns folk, the combat system, the customization/upgrade system...

But is it just me or is some part of the level design VERY lazy? I hope they get more inventive later on because this example of the first "dungeon" in the game made me put the game away for a while:

slight "dungeon" spoiler:
You needed to go into a mine, searching for the mine boss to get a crystal that you need to deliver. On the way you see a minecart that you need to ride to get to another part of the mine. Let me visualize that:

Start(switch) ---- Point A(dude) ---- Point B (elevator)

Alright, so you enter the dungeon and ride a minecart from the Start to point A, asking a dude where to go. He tells you to move to B, to access the elevator. To do that however, you need to take the mine cart back to the Start, use the switch, and hop into the minecart again to B.

When trying to activate the elevator you'll notice that it isnt turned on and that you need a key, so what to do? Go back by mine cart to the Start, hit the switch, back to the dude. He gives you the key, which he conveniently forgot to mention on our first conversation and then you can ride the elevator... after you went back to the switch AGAIN, and used the mine cart for the xth time to finally get to the elevator.

And while this didnt take too long in the grand scheme of things, I think it is VERY lazy game/level design. This was not clever, nor challenging, nor interesting. Just annoying.

Despite the fact that I generally liked what I played thus far, I truly hope that things like that wont happen too often.

xxczx

Played The Legend of Heroes : Trails in the Sky for about 6 hours now. Just got to the point where you (super slight story spoiler)

You're still on the prologue dude, wait until chapter 1 or chapter 2 where it gets good.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You're still on the prologue dude, wait until chapter 1 or chapter 2 where it gets good.

I figured its getting better, but I was really annoyed by that. Not saying its not a neat experience so far but that was kinda cheap and not a problem that should happen even within a prologue.

"Slow" start is one thing, lazy design in the beginning areas another. I mean I realize that the beginning of the game will be a microcosm of the features the whole games offers, like a very small beginning dungeon. But it might just be the worst "first dungeon" I can think of in any RPG I ever played.

Edit: And playing more of the game wont change my opinion on that specific matter. Even though I really like many systems in this game, and even if the game gets super awesome later on, this part was still very badly designed.

Edit2: Thinking about it, it wasnt even the first dungeon. And the even easier,more straight forward, first
(sewers)
dungeon was less annoying.

Fantastic OP. Makes me wanna add my 2 cents. So, of all the PSP RPG's I've played, these are the ones I recommend the most for Vita:

Persona 3 Portable: This game has transitioned very well to portable play. If you've played it on the PS2, it's worth getting to play as the female and for the new content, but get it on sale. If you've never played it, it's definitely worth the 40 bucks. It's a phenomenal RPG and it looks great on Vita. It's so unique among JRPGs with the social focus and dungeon crawling. The story is superbly written and captivating, extremely memorable characters and there's so much content.

Valkyria Chronicles 2: This game blew me away. I didn't play the first one at the time (I now have it thanks to this) and I was introduced to how great the VC formula is. It's perfectly playable even if you've never played the first and it's so much fun on a handheld. So many missions and so much content. I took it to many doctor's appointments. It's truly innovative for SRPGs with its third person elements, and the visuals are very nice. I hear people complain about the new school story and direction. But it's not really that bad. It became quite charming over time and it's better than your typical JRPG story, it's just really shounen-y. The game would benefit from a second analog, so playing it on Vita is probably ideal.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions: I agree with everything that's been said on this game. Gameplay holds up extremely well for a PSX game, some fine tactical roleplaying. There is slowdown, but nothing close to game-breaking. Not even close. New added content and translation make this enjoyable even if you played the original. Also the story and characters are very interesting. I'm going to pick up Tactics Ogre soon thanks to this.

Dissidia Duodecim: Lots of fun, can get repetitive, but there's a lot to do and fun in small bursts. Includes the scenario of the first game, so just pick this one up instead of the original. Fantastic visuals and is sure to benefit immensely from the second analog.

It's too bad about Birth By Sleep. That game is begging for a port, it's one of the most beautiful PSP games and could definitely use that second analog. Plus, it's just a really good game.

I assume Final Fantasy Type-0 will come out on Vita in English. From what I played of the Japanese version, it's incredibly fun and the best looking PSP game I've played. The second analog would eliminate the biggest gripe I had with the game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Don't worry, I like the game enough to continue playing and there are tons of systems I already like, like the very charming character dialogues,the changing dialogues from the towns folk, the combat system, the customization/upgrade system...

But is it just me or is some part of the level design VERY lazy? I hope they get more inventive later on because this example of the first "dungeon" in the game made me put the game away for a while:

You needed to go into a mine, searching for the mine boss to get a crystal that you need to deliver. On the way you see a minecart that you need to ride to get to another part of the mine. Let me visualize that:

Alright, so you enter the dungeon and ride a minecart from the Start to point A, asking a dude where to go. He tells you to move to B, to access the elevator. To do that however, you need to take the mine cart back to the Start, use the switch, and hop into the minecart again to B.

When trying to activate the elevator you'll notice that it isnt turned on and that you need a key, so what to do? Go back by mine cart to the Start, hit the switch, back to the dude. He gives you the key, which he conveniently forgot to mention on our first conversation and then you can ride the elevator... after you went back to the switch AGAIN, and used the mine cart for the xth time to finally get to the elevator.

And while this didnt take too long in the grand scheme of things, I think it is VERY lazy game/level design. This was not clever, nor challenging, nor interesting. Just annoying.

Despite the fact that I generally liked what I played thus far, I truly hope that things like that wont happen too often.

I didn't care much for that area either, but I don't remember exactly what put me off. Most of the "dungeons" in the game are pretty simple though. I don't remember there being many puzzle elements or anything involved. A few are a bit labyrinthine, but I think they're toward the end of the game.

tokkun

I figured its getting better, but I was really annoyed by that. Not saying its not a neat experience so far but that was kinda cheap and not a problem that should happen even within a prologue.

"Slow" start is one thing, lazy design in the beginning areas another. I mean I realize that the beginning of the game will be a microcosm of the features the whole games offers, like a very small beginning dungeon. But it might just be the worst "first dungeon" I can think of in any RPG I ever played.

Edit: And playing more of the game wont change my opinion on that specific matter. Even though I really like many systems in this game, and even if the game gets super awesome later on, this part was still very badly designed.

Edit2: Thinking about it, it wasnt even the first dungeon. And the even easier,more straight forward, first
(sewers)
dungeon was less annoying.

A lot of the dungeons stay pretty simple throughout most of the game. I really don't think "lazy" is a fair characterization of the game, though. I mean, they program in so many unique NPC dialogues. You can backtrack to some village you're not even supposed to be in, and all the NPCs will have new text based on whatever recent event just happened in the plot. Most of the time I wonder why they went to so much trouble.

Toma

A lot of the dungeons stay pretty simple throughout most of the game. I really don't think "lazy" is a fair characterization of the game, though. I mean, they program in so many unique NPC dialogues. You can backtrack to some village you're not even supposed to be in, and all the NPCs will have new text based on whatever recent event just happened in the plot. Most of the time I wonder why they went to so much trouble.

Fair point. I was amazed at that already, since they literally have something new to say after every main quest I did , no matter how small, which is indeed VERY impressive. And as I said, I generally like it so far, but the , lets call it "simple", dungeon design isnt doing the game any favors.

Actually, I wouldnt mind them being simple all that much. Most RPG's have rather uninspired dungeon layouts and the first dungeon was alrigh, but this certain part was like such a big design DONT, that I knew not to do such things when I was trying to program my first RPG (RPGMaker, woo) back when I was 14. I mean switches are a very common practice, but it was too obvious that this was just a "send the player running back and forth to keep him busy"-design.

Toma

I have all these Vita games and what am I playing?

Disgaea 1. I'm such an asshole.

Fun choice too, come back in 300 hours to start your Vita games when you finished Disgaea :p

tokkun

Fair point. I was amazed at that already, since they literally have something new to say after every main quest I did , no matter how small, which is indeed VERY impressive. And as I said, I generally like it so far, but the , lets call it "simple", dungeon design isnt doing the game any favors.

Actually, I wouldnt mind them being simple all that much. Most RPG's have rather uninspired dungeon layouts and the first dungeon was alrigh, but this certain part was like such a big design DONT, that I knew not to do such things when I was trying to program my first RPG (RPGMaker, woo) back when I was 14. I mean switches are a very common practice, but it was too obvious that this was just a "send the player running back and forth to keep him busy"-design.

The mine is the only dungeon I can think of that has backtracking like that in it.

Eusis

But there's no realistic chance of getting anything beyond the third game, and I think even that is extremely unlikely regardless of how FC and SC do on Steam.
I really wouldn't see why the 3rd would be skipped on PC if FC and SC manage to do well there. And anyways, with the Vita version (and assuming they can hack away at the VA to some extent) I think our chances of getting Zero are actually very solid if they can get the 3rd out so long as the Vita doesn't keel over or something, and it sounds like it'll probably be a stable platform at the least. Well, and as long as Kadokawa isn't an unreasonable publisher to work out a licensing arrangement with. I'm not going to be very OPTIMISTIC, like said they'd need to get through two other games first, but once that's done I'd think we'd be in the clear.

Of course, Ao and Nayuta are in a problematic position unless they too get Vita ports.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say

For OCD people like me who would do such a crazy thing :p It's why my playthrough is taking forever.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I really wouldn't see why the 3rd would be skipped on PC if FC and SC manage to do well there. And anyways, with the Vita version (and assuming they can hack away at the VA to some extent) I think our chances of getting Zero are actually very solid if they can get the 3rd out so long as the Vita doesn't keel over or something, and it sounds like it'll probably be a stable platform at the least. Well, and as long as Kadokawa isn't an unreasonable publisher to work out a licensing arrangement with. I'm not going to be very OPTIMISTIC, like said they'd need to get through two other games first, but once that's done I'd think we'd be in the clear.

Of course, Ao and Nayuta are in a problematic position unless they too get Vita ports.

We've been over this a lot I think, so my opinion is probably pretty well known by this point :lol

I figure the Trails games on PC will probably do as well as Carpe Fulgur's releases, at least. And that would probably put their sales well above anything XSEED has released to date. But despite that, a combination of the size of the games, the size of the company, and the cost to localize the games, they'll probably be better off picking up multiple smaller games they can tackle over the course of a matter of months instead of huge games that will span multiple years in their current form.

The other option is to add another editor to pick up the slack during Kiseki editing, I guess. And if the games do that well, I don't think platform will be an issue. The sales I described above would be nearly as high as what Falcom is hitting in Japan. They'd probably be happy to work with XSEED to get PC versions out that are much better than what China got, and if Vita versions or whatever could be put out on top of that I don't see why they'd pass on a multiplatform release.

Regardless, that's off topic since none of the games in the series aside from FC will end up on the PSP in English, barring a miracle. So for anyone playing it be prepared to pick up the sequel elsewhere, likely on PC/Steam.

Was TiTS every 'stellar'? I recall it addressing every single issue I've had with jrpgs this gen... but it does seem to play everything really safe. It felt like your 50 eps slow paced adventure shounen anime. A solid game that wasn't really a 'game changer' or anything.

And valkyria chronicles 2 benefits from the right stick? Did the ps3 game even use the right stick? o-O?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Was TiTS every 'stellar'? I recall it addressing every single issue I've had with jrpgs this gen... but it does seem to play everything really safe. It felt like your 50 eps slow paced adventure shounen anime. A solid game that wasn't really a 'game changer' or anything.

And valkyria chronicles 2 benefits from the right stick? Did the ps3 game even use the right stick? o-O?

With the vita you can set the right stick to various controlls. It's not fully customizable, I hope they give it even additional settings.

Durante

Half minute hero is fantastic on Vita. The d-pad is so much better than PSP, and the fast display response time also helps. And it's one title that really makes me glad for the perfect 2x scaling and that you can choose whether or not to use bilinear filtering.

Fellow EU Vita owners should get it while it's still on sale.

iavi

There were a few moments of blatant padding in Trails; that was one of them. I literally smh at that segment.

Durante

Yeah, I also distinctly remember that particular mine cart segment. At that point I decided I'd give the game one more chance and if it pulls something that blatantly stupid again I'd stop playing. It didn't though.

Aeana

FC is the 'worst' Trails game by far in terms of design. I think they just hadn't really hit their stride yet. Every game improves.

Toma

Good to know I am not the only one with that complaint. Even good games arent exempt from criticism and I think its important to have in-depth discussions on the strengths and especially weaknesses of the games we play. I'd love to come back later into this thread, saying why I liked the game overall, though. Looking forward to play a bit more after work.

FC is the 'worst' Trails game by far in terms of design. I think they just hadn't really hit their stride yet. Every game improves.

FC? You talking about LoH: Trails in the Sky?

And there are more? Have they been released in the US? Will they?

Aeana

Good to know I am not the only one with that complaint. Even good games arent exempt from criticism and I think its important to have in-depth discussions on the strengths and especially weaknesses of the games we play. I'd love to come back later into this thread, saying why I liked the game overall, though. Looking forward to play a bit more after work.

FC? You talking about LoH: Trails in the Sky?

And there are more? Have they been released in the US? Will they?

FC is "first chapter." That's the game you're playing now. There's a second chapter and a third chapter, and then two more games after that. It's an ongoing story that's still not complete. FC is the only one that's available in English at the moment. Who knows if the others come out in English.

Toma

FC is "first chapter." That's the game you're playing now. There's a second chapter and a third chapter, and then two more games after that. It's an ongoing story that's still not complete. FC is the only one that's available in English at the moment. Who knows if the others come out in English.

:(

Did the English one sell well?

Top Bottom